• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Twist rate fail with 230gr. A-tips for .300 WM- I didn’t read the fine print.

Amanda4461

Loves Dobermans!
Minuteman
Nov 11, 2009
Asheboro, North Carolina
I found some 230gr A-tips at Midway, in stock. Looked the pics over, and ordered 300. They arrived today, plastered with the requirement for a 1x9 or faster twist rate. Of course, mine is 1x10. Midway makes it easy to return these, so no big deal. However, I am wondering if anyone has tried them in a 10-twist barrel and could comment on the results? I did learn to read the specifications tab on Midway’s page. My normal 195gr bullets don’t list a twist rate spec., so I have never opened the spec. tab before. Midway’s pics don’t show the Twist rate warning, of course.
Live and learn🙈

Next time, use JBM or the Berger Twist Rate calculator to determine if the bullet will stabilize in your rifle under the conditions you shoot in. It won’t be 100% accurate but it should be enough for you to determine whether you should push through to actually see if it is worth exploring if the bullet will truly stabilize with what you’re shooting. Aside from that, what may stabilize for someone at 6k ft asl, may not stabilize for another at sea level.

Myself, I like to look at the worst possible conditions I shoot in to determine if something may be stable in my rifle or not.

Reactions: Howland
I have run them in my 26" barrel pushed hard with RL26 over 2800 fps and they were fine at 800 ft elevation.

No big deal. Midway emailed the return authorization and UPS took them back to Mr. Potterfield for a refund. I’ll buy some Berger’s made for my 10 twist and read the fine print next time. Daggone things were too expensive to just load them up and get pissed when they keyholed a foot from poa.