• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

ultra sonic vs. media

cnofear2000

Private
Minuteman
Sep 29, 2010
I'm in the market for a new tumbler and was wondering if your opinions whether to buy an ultra sonic cleaner or to buy a media based tumblers. Any advise regarding this decision would be helpful and greatly appreciated!

Chris

Re: ultra sonic vs. media

Go with the Stainless Steel media tumbling. Tried the ultra sonic after years of using corncob & walnut media. Both ultra sonic gear(all components) & some of the corn cob media will soon sold. It's just gathering dust. Faster, easier & cleaner ... that is the SS media. I use a Lortone Tumbler
www.lortone.com/tumblers.html
one of the larger units after finally wearing out a unit well over 30 years old.

I have to agree with Will here. If your going to do this go the Stainless media. Cases are going to get wet either way if that seems like a problem. There is alot of threads here about the process. It should keep you busy reading for hours.

Don't bother reading. Just get stainless media. It's the best thing since MRE heaters.

+1 on stainless.

I use Ultrasonic and its OKAY, does the job but requires a bit of tampering around depending on brass loads, cleaning times, solutions to use etc etc... and chemical are involved. Still gets the case interiors cleaned, but not as much as stainless from the look of things.

However, stainless looks nice and painless. Dump however much brass into the drum, add some water, add some lemishine dish stuff, and the stainless media, 4 hours later and bobs your uncle.

The stainless stuff looks really good, any suggestions where to buy it at?

Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Will</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Go with the Stainless Steel media tumbling. Tried the ultra sonic after years of using corncob & walnut media. Both ultra sonic gear(all components) & some of the corn cob media will soon sold. It's just gathering dust. Faster, easier & cleaner ... that is the SS media. I use a Lortone Tumbler
www.lortone.com/tumblers.html
one of the larger units after finally wearing out a unit well over 30 years old. </div></div>

+1 on the SS media in a tumbler.

Most definitely, Will has it right. I too went through the routines much like him. The ultrasonic was the way to go, until this stainless became prevalent.

The rest is 'passe'. HA.

+1 on the Stainless media, you'll never look back. Light years ahead of ultrasonic.

+1K Definitely PM suasponte on this, as he is the originator of this. The other guys are just cashing in on it.

Another corncob -> ultrasonic -> ceramic -> ultrasonic -> stainless convert here. Cleaner/shinier and I can do a useful number of cases at once as compared to US. I ended up with a fairly nice US unit; I'll probably keep it around for cleaning other things, just like I keep my Dillon CV-2001 around for cleaning mass quantities of .223 Rem or pistol brass (that don't really need to be *that* clean in the first place, and where quantity wins).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bbqncigars</div><div class="ubbcode-body">+1K Definitely PM suasponte on this, as he is the originator of this. The other guys are just cashing in on it. </div></div>

+1

What size tumbler is recommended for the stainless steel. Looking to clean up to 200 or 300 308 size cases at a time.

The best results are acheived with rotary tumblers. However, I have had a copule guys say that they used it in vibratorys.

I recommend sticking with rotarys with the SS media. I know what type results it achieves.

Terry

Is there a rather cheap tumbler out there that would do the job? Also with the ss media are you sizeing then tumbling or tumbling then sizing?

You can get smaller models in other brans but then you cant tumble as much brass.

Its best to buy a dedicated decapping die from Lee (very cheap btw) and take out the primers first and then tumble the cases in SS media. That way your running clean cases through your dies