• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes US Optics Foundation series

Thanks. I was just aggravated. Lot more going on than just this. I vent then I'm fine.
Don't get discouraged Darrell, these things happen. At least it's a scope and not a $50,000 truck. ? They'll get it fixed, or they'll swap it out for another.

A company that's just getting settled and starting a new product line has a strong vested interest in getting you taken care of. @Maggie is aware of this thread, and how many people are going to see it. There's no chance they're gonna screw you over.

You'll come away happy in the end. I have no doubt.
My dad's friend bought some 70k diesel truck that died on his way home. I get it. Stuff happens
@D loop darrell
I just went to the garage and checked how my illumination was. I have to say it’s about perfect on my jvcr. Even at the highest setting in the dim garage with lights off it did not bleed much. I wanted to get a picture posted but it just doesn’t look the same in the picture. It wouldn’t do it justice. Get it sent back so they can look at it. Hopefully they get it turned around in reasonable time. Why did you choose the mgr reticle?
Because I stalk around our horse and sheep pastures at night and low light illumination, and minimal illumination, would work great for that. Not to mention how handy BDC red dots are. I shoot an incredible amount of stuff at night. Dead air sandman ti suppressor.

You're allowed to be mad. Shit happens. I didn't wanna post anything other than "Hell yes! Got my fdn 17 and it's great!" And that's what I did. Later that day as I looked at it more, I noticed it just wasn't right. So yeah. This this for me has been up and down. I never thought I'd really post here again. It was done. 6mo wait. Got my scope. Its awesome! But nope... update update update. By all means order away! One post a guy said "US optics are a great manufacturer IF you get a good scope." Went on some rant about josh. I laughed at him, like you're laughing at me. Thanks not my fault. Anyways. I'll delete all of this bs once there's a resolution good or bad.

You dont have to delete anything. This is information that people should be able to see if they are considering buying these scopes. And My first USO was in 2007 when they were in California with the previous owner JBW and some pretty decent guys working there. I even know the retard non optical engineer that designed the now discontinued B series scopes.
Regardless of what the very few fanboys left will say to defend this current company, If you think there is something wrong with your scope you are probably correct in your assumption based on the track record with this company. And I have even gone as far as disassembling the scopes to show the company what the fuck is wrong with the scopes at one point.
I wont go into details of what could be wrong with your scope but I advise you to stick to your guns.
There are plenty of old timers on this site who know the real back stories but biting their tongue to keep things on a tactful level.
Good luck to you.

I held off commenting on here for a while to see how all this developed. So main thing @D loop darrell if you think something is wrong, you paid a substantial sum of money for what is supposed to be a premium optic. If you think something is wrong send it back. Please continue to post on the customer service experience too because I think you will be the first person to send one of the new scopes back and you won't be the last. A big issue I had with USO when sending back my SN3 TPAL 5-25 and B25 was the insane wait times. It'll be interesting to see how this pans out. If you have any questions about my specific experience feel free to send me a DM.

Hopefully they turn it around and get off to a better position as a company.

Update: Kyleigh called me. Josh checked my scope and compared it to other mgr reticles. The illumination is the same on all of them. So my scope had zero issues. I just severely disliked the illumination. They're changing the reticle to the JVCR reticle because they "Want me to be happy". She said, "They'll do whatever it takes. They just want me to be happy." So, I should have my scope back pretty quick. I feel really bad but the image of the illuminated reticle on their site really made me think that something was just off. I was wrong. It's pretty cool to have a manufacturer in NC that can actually service the scopes. I'll post again when it gets here. If you go with an FDN scope and want useable illumination subtensions, I'd avoid the mgr. Ill say it again, the rest of the scope is amazing. I'm wordy. See y'all again when it gets here.

That's good to hear. I think you'll be happy with the JVCR reticle.

@ksanoski seems to be pretty happy with the JVCR. At the level hes competing at, I think that's a pretty good endorsement. Speaking of Ken, how are you liking the FDN with that reticle? I've been considering calling Kyleigh to see if they can switch mine from the GAP to the JVCR.

The turnaround on this was what, a couple days from the time they got the old scope to sending out the replacement? That's seems pretty good.

Last edited:
Reactions: D loop darrell
Used my FDN again today. I’ve got around 300 rounds now using it. Tracking has been perfect, I did a brief tracking box test at 100. It performed as you would expect. Glass is great. I won’t get real deep into quality but comparing it to a minox MR4 and NF 7-35 I couldn’t make any huge difference out. All of them have really good glass.

Elevation turret is quiet but clicks are distinct. Add in the JVCR and I’m loving the scope. Reticles are so subjective and really personal Preference based on shooter. Personally I hate tree reticles, the JVCR is a Perfect tree as far as I’m concerned. It doesn’t have to much stuff but it’s got enough to be useable and work for PRS style competitions. If I can answer any other questions just ask. I don’t see how anyone can be disappointed in the FDN with a JVCR reticle. But I understand shooters can be picky and have certain things they like and dislike so there’s no way to please everyone

Last edited:
I emailed and switched to the JVCR. As always, they were very accommodating. It'll be my first tree type reticle.

@ksanoski, or @Kentucreed6 , does the reticle have big numbers like this pic from a ts20 JVCR?

Or small numbers, like the diagram on the website?

Last edited:
I feel like I just took a rollercoaster ride... going to follow to see how more in depth reviews/time treat these scopes. I hope they do well and can get a good reputation built up.

? My scope will be back Monday. I hated sending it back. I honestly loved everything about it except for the MGR illumination which has apparently been something some others have disliked too. The entire US optics team has been nothing but awesome. I am very confident that I'll be happy when it gets here knowing that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the last one. I just didn't like it. I got my tracking info today and wanted to update folks. In a way, I'm glad it happened. Having a fully serviceable scope is pretty cool. Dont like your reticle? Call em up, they can change it for a fee. The zero stop is absolutely Rock solid. Sorry again if I annoyed anyone. I was just really surprised how the illumination looked ?‍♂️ Have a good weekend folks.

Reactions: Gilly
? My scope will be back Monday. I hated sending it back. I honestly loved everything about it except for the MGR illumination which has apparently been something some others have disliked too. The entire US optics team has been nothing but awesome. I am very confident that I'll be happy when it gets here knowing that there was absolutely nothing wrong with the last one. I just didn't like it. I got my tracking info today and wanted to update folks. In a way, I'm glad it happened. Having a fully serviceable scope is pretty cool. Dont like your reticle? Call em up, they can change it for a fee. The zero stop is absolutely Rock solid. Sorry again if I annoyed anyone. I was just really surprised how the illumination looked ?‍♂️ Have a good weekend folks.

I'm jealous, my 17x is still a month out. Everyone's liking the JVCR enough that I decided to make the switch.

I saw a fdn25x with a JVCR in the PX for sale already.

If I hadn't already paid for my order, I'd have snatched it.

I haven't looked through this scope since I spent a good hour looking through the FDN17. ? I felt this sadness inside like, "Oh. This scope has always sucked and now I see it". The limited field of view is so bad. Not floaty dot reticle. There's a debate everyone can argue about. I am absolutely going to have to put that scope on this rifle too. I left this outside the other night in a down pour. Viper PST I think... 4x16. Not bad get me wrong

Attachments

• 20200418_235116.jpg
    20200418_235116.jpg
    544.3 KB · Views: 214
Wow, this tread was a gigantic shit show of a roller coaster. I was really hoping to read some insightful reviews on the new foundation series as I am also waiting on a FDN25X. Now I just feel as though I have wasted part of my life that I will never get back. I really hope SOMEONE ELSE posts their thoughts and comparisons of the foundation series for those of us actually looking for info.

Update! I had no issues or surprises today. Unboxed scope, illumination looks great. The JVCR reticle is really nice. Again, first thing I noticed is the muted glare on the eye piece. Sun is directly behind me and I was trying to make it reflect hard, like my cheaper scopes do. There's hardly any reflection at all. My other scope has damn near blinded me a few times. I'll update in awhile. I have to put my steel out to 600 and get things setup. I dont forsee any issues. I have 1200 yards here behind my house to shoot. I am a happy customer now!

Attachments

• 20200420_170331.jpg
    20200420_170331.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 268
Update! I had no issues or surprises today. Unboxed scope, illumination looks great. The JVCR reticle is really nice. Again, first thing I noticed is the muted glare on the eye piece. Sun is directly behind me and I was trying to make it reflect hard, like my cheaper scopes do. There's hardly any reflection at all. My other scope has damn near blinded me a few times. I'll update in awhile. I have to put my steel out to 600 and get things setup. I dont forsee any issues. I have 1200 yards here behind my house to shoot. I am a happy customer now!

Attachments

• 20200420_170312.jpg
    20200420_170312.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 226
The illumination looks good @D loop darrell. I take it your happy with the customer service at USO? The turnaround was damn quick.

@Mattio

Just curious. Why are you selling it? Its obviously none of my business, but I'm wondering if you don't like it, or if it's some other reason.

Is it some reason not related to the scope, or something you don't like about it?

If your dissatisfied with the scope though, I'd be interested to know what the issues are.

The illumination looks good @D loop darrell. I take it your happy with the customer service at USO? The turnaround was damn quick.

@Mattio

Just curious. Why are you selling it? Its obviously none of my business, but I'm wondering if you don't like it, or if it's some other reason.

Is it some reason not related to the scope, or something you don't like about it?

If your dissatisfied with the scope though, I'd be interested to know what the issues are.

I actually ordered a B25 last year around early October, the Foundation series dropped in late December as a replacement and update to the B series, USO emailed me with the option to upgrade my order to the Foundation series. It took some time to end up in my hands. I will say customer service has been very pleasant to deal with, other than the long wait to receive the optic. I got a killer deal on a tangent theta and decided that would be my go-to optic. The JVCR reticle is great, one of the best I've seen, simple and functional. The glass is clear and crisp. The elevation turret is smooth, not tough at all to spin and stops in line with desired hash marks.

Reactions: ken226
I like it! Instagram link Shot it yesterday but left my bipod at home. Shot today out back. Ran out of bullets. I have a box of super match grade stuff that I'm not using for zeroing. It's sharp as hell 👍 Zeroing it is different. You remove a cap screw on top, then adjust the elevation using an Allen wrench. It's stupid easy as long as you dont drop the non magnetic center cap screw. Seems to track well for the little bit I adjusted it. Oh what else... The illumination is great! The drip down subtensions with a floating center dot. Is great. I have 30 mils of useable elevation. It's cool man. I like it. Plenty of windage adjustment. Two full rotations (clockwise) and some change to bottom out elevation into the scope. So, two full rotations back is my windage zero. I bought it for all the features that I enjoyed today! Dony lose the center cap screw... photo is the center cap screw 🤣

Attachments

• 20200421_180911.jpg
    20200421_180911.jpg
    696.5 KB · Views: 225
I like it! Instagram link Shot it yesterday but left my bipod at home. Shot today out back. Ran out of bullets. I have a box of super match grade stuff that I'm not using for zeroing. It's sharp as hell 👍 Zeroing it is different. You remove a cap screw on top, then adjust the elevation using an Allen wrench. It's stupid easy as long as you dont drop the non magnetic center cap screw. Seems to track well for the little bit I adjusted it. Oh what else... The illumination is great! The drip down subtensions with a floating center dot. Is great. I have 30 mils of useable elevation. It's cool man. I like it. Plenty of windage adjustment. Two full rotations (clockwise) and some change to bottom out elevation into the scope. So, two full rotations back is my windage zero. I bought it for all the features that I enjoyed today! Dony lose the center cap screw... photo is the center cap screw 🤣

30 mils useable elevation? That's a good bit more than listed for this scope on thier website. That's significant!

Are you using a 20 moa base, and Is that 30 mils useable, after zeroing or before? I was expecting like 24 or so, total.

So, after zeroing , with a 20 moa base, I was expecting about 17 mils useable.

Last edited:
I have 30mils, from my 100yard zero. No hold over, just clicks. The way you move the reticle independently from the turret, allows the scope to use nearly all of the elevation. It was one of the main selling points for me. I am on a 20 moa rail. Now, I haven't shot to see if it accurate. I have just dialed it all the way up and counted. It's like a 9 ft hold over at 100 yards. Meaning, if I dial 30mils, I have to hold over 9ft to be on target at 100 yards. Been thinking of ways to check the elevation at that extreme without shooting far.

I have 30mils, from my 100yard zero. No hold over, just clicks. The way you move the reticle independently from the turret, allows the scope to use nearly all of the elevation. It was one of the main selling points for me. I am on a 20 moa rail. Now, I haven't shot to see if it accurate. I have just dialed it all the way up and counted. It's like a 9 ft hold over at 100 yards. Meaning, if I dial 30mils, I have to hold over 9ft to be on target at 100 yards. Been thinking of ways to check the elevation at that extreme without shooting far.

That's great to hear.

That means the 24 mils USO advertises on their website is -useable- elevation, not total elevation. + Your 20moa base, you have 30 useable.

On the first few pages of this thread, someone was ripping USO for "only" having 24 mils of elevation. Apparently they were assuming that was 24 total (12 up and 12 down).

I have a 20moa base on my FN SPR 6.5 creedmoor as well, so I'll end up being able to direct dial out to well beyond the distances I shoot at. According to 4DOF, it'll get me out to 1600ish yards!

That's good news.. Thanks for that clarification.

That's great to hear.

That means the 24 mils USO advertises on their website is -useable- elevation, not total elevation. + Your 20moa base, you have 30 useable.

On the first few pages of this thread, someone was ripping USO for "only" having 24 mils of elevation. Apparently they were assuming that was 24 total (12 up and 12 down).

I have a 20moa base on my FN SPR 6.5 creedmoor as well, so I'll end up being able to direct dial out to well beyond the distances I shoot at. According to 4DOF, it'll get me out to 1600ish yards!

That's good news.. Thanks for that clarification.
Might be short of 30 mils. Looking at it in a rest and the reticle isn't moving up here on the high end. Its gonna be around 24 mils. The turret clicks past the max elevation.

Might be short of 30 mils. Looking at it in a rest and the reticle isn't moving up here on the high end. Its gonna be around 24 mils. The turret clicks past the max elevation.

Ok, that makes sense.

All the older legacy EREK turrets do that as well. On my ST10 tpal, I zero it with the turret bottomed out, using it as a zero stop, once I get up to about 24 mils I run out of erector travel. The turret suddenly feels stiffer as it clicks on past the limit of erector travel.

If I remember right, if you spin it up past the limit of erector travel, it screws up your zero. I could be mistaken though. It's been a long time since I did that.

On my FN 6.5 creedmoor, 24 mils will still get me out to 1715 yards shooting a 140 eld-m @ 2715 fps. According to 4DOF anyway.

So, the scope should have about 36 mils of total erector travel. From mechanical center, you would be able to dial 18 mils in either direction.

With the 20 moa base, you can dial up 24 mils.

That's plenty for my needs! Mine should be shipping within a couple weeks.

Last edited:
Ok, that makes sense.

All the older legacy EREK turrets do that as well. On my ST10 tpal, I zero it with the turret bottomed out, using it as a zero stop, once I get up to about 24 mils I run out of erector travel. The turret suddenly feels stiffer as it clicks on past the limit of erector travel.

If I remember right, if you spin it up past the limit of erector travel, it screws up your zero. I could be mistaken though. It's been a long time since I did that.

The new one feels like, whatever is moving inside hits a stop, but the turret keeps dialing some. That when you spin back down, if you feel for it, you'll feel it start to move, whatever it's moving. I think that stop I feel, is what retains zero. Maybe it's my imagination! Glad they're shipping. The delay really takes away from things.

Very cool!

It seems to have a few improvements over the old Erek turret.

How's the tunneling?

Tunneling is there. 3x to 5x. It's just a black ring on the edges of the sight. Its thickest at 3x and gone by 5.25x. Does absolutely nothing to the super sharp image quality or reticle sizing. Illumination does show as a ring at those levels, but it's really muted and gone by 5x+. Huge non issue to me. Just looked at it again. Doesn't show in photos much. It's nothing imo. Thicker edge. It resembles a tunnel. But not in the glass. No distortion in glass. Very good! Would buy again.

Attachments

• 20200430_122400.jpg
    20200430_122400.jpg
    254.2 KB · Views: 181
This is 17x. No tunneling at all past 5.25x. Once you see it and understand what it is and isn't, it's something folks wont care about. I love at like 8x and above when I'm out. Oh! Get a one piece mount! You can drop a red dot on your rifle and carry it to your camp. Then mount your optic. Cuz lazy

Attachments

• 20200430_122433.jpg
    20200430_122433.jpg
    313.7 KB · Views: 151
This is 17x. No tunneling at all past 5.25x. Once you see it and understand what it is and isn't, it's something folks wont care about. I love at like 8x and above when I'm out. Oh! Get a one piece mount! You can drop a red dot on your rifle and carry it to your camp. Then mount your optic. Cuz lazy

Ok, that's not bad at all. Looks pretty minimal. From some of the posts early in the thread, I expected it to be "severe".

A small price to pay for the 17x FOV specs.

According to the specs, it has a field of view of 8.03 ft @ 100yds at 17x. I'll gladly tolerate a little tunnelling for that fov.

To contrast specs,

the 4-16 x 42 ATACR F1 has a field of view of 6.9 ft @ 100yds at 16x.

The FDN17x has a 16% better field of view, and at a higher magnification setting no less.

The XTR3, which is touted as having a great field of view, has a FOV of 6.8 ft @100yds at 18x. Considering the higher magnification setting, 6.8'@100yds is pretty good, but still a good ways behind the FDN17.

The Gen2 Razor 3-18 x 50 has a field of view of 6.25ft @100yds at 18x.

The Tangent Theta -may- equal or beat it, with a FOV of 9.02ft (2.8 meters) @100 meters. But, that is at 15x magnification. I'm not sure what this scopes fov would be theoretically, @ 17x and 100 yards.

So @ 1000 yards at max magnification, the FDN17 would have an 11.3 ft better fov than the ATACR, a 12.3 ft better field of view than the XTR3 and a 17.8 ft better fov that the gen 2 razor. I say bring on the tunneling, especially since its at the mag settings I'll rarely, if ever, use.

Last edited:
So, I got my FDN17X friday, and have had a few days to play with it.

I got it zeroed yesterday, but due to typical Pacific Northwest constant rain and fog, didn't get to do much shooting. I'm accustomed to fixed power scopes, so dialing in the diopter was a little harder than i'm accustomed to. I did get it done though.

The Parallax on this scope took me a little bit to get dialed in. The 100 yard mark on the parallax turret is dead on, but infinity on this scope wasn't anywhere near the infinity mark. After setting it parallax free on a distant mountaintop, i marked that spot on the knob with a sharpie.

Like my every other scope i've owned, i ended up with the diopter ring threaded almost all the way into the eyepiece housing for the best reticle image. I'm not sure what that says about my eyes. Aside from the parallax infinity mark being so far off, i like everything about the scope.

I don't have much to compare to, for image quality. My only other scope is a US Optics ST10 fixed 10X. Set up side-by-side, with both scopes set to 10X, my FDN17X has a slightly better image. I set them both up on the dining room table, looking out the sliding glass window at a church cross 236 yards away, and at a building gutter 70 yards away. With the FDN17X i can see little specs of rust on the cross and gutter, that aren't quite visible with the ST10.

This cross is 236 yards away. Even though the rust spots are barely visible in the pic, they are clear and distinct when looking through the scope. Through-scope pics never seem to work well for resolution. Even in high contrast situations, there's no noticeable chromatic aberration when your eye is centered in the eye-box. When you move your eye off-center, some purple fringing occurs. Its hard to keep the camera centered when taking a pic, so you can see some purple fringing along the rooftop edge in this pic.

Here is the gutter pic, 70 yards away. Again, the pic doesn't show the same resolution as is seen when looking directly through the scope. When looking through the scope, you can see the indiviual gravel particles in the shingles. It was foggy and raining when i took these pics. On the left side, 2 mil mark you can see water pouring off the gutter.

The illumination is very good. The first couple settings aren't even visible in the dark (im guessing night vision settings). There are 9 settings, with the last few easily visible in broad daylight. I opted for blue.

The new Er3k turret zero-stop is feature is interesting. I havn't seen any design even remotely like this before. I really like it's simplicity.

The zero stop ony has 1 simple part, a ring which engages a raised boss on the scope body. The zero-stop ring has 3 tiny grub screws around the circumference, which -can- be used to secure the zero stop ring to the turret. Those grub screws are unnecessary and should be loosened out a turn, then forever ignored (maybe even removed and thrown away).

That zero stop ring sits on the turret and rotates freely. After you've zeroed the rifle, you simply position the zero-stop ring on the turret, and rotate it clock-wise until it is stopped against the raised boss on the scope body. Then you put the knob on and float it to zero. Once the top cap is tightened down, the zero-stop ring is pinched between the turret and the top cap. Any clockwise movement past zero is halted by the raised boss. When dialing couter clock-wise for elevation, the turret/knob/cap threads up and on the next rotation the zero-stop ring is above the raised boss, and clears it.

I like to set my zero stop with .5 mils available under my zero, so i can adjust between my suppressed and un-suppressed zero. That was easy to accomplish on this scope. Simply zero, then turn the turret 5 additional clicks clockwise. Remove the knob and cap, set the zero stop and float the turret to the -.5 mil marking. Tighten everything down, and go the 5 clicks counterclockwise back to zero.

Overall, i really like the zero-stop. Its easy to set, and gives a very solid stop.

The elevation turret has the exact same feel as my ST10. Very smooth, yet firm with positive tactile clicks. The click aren't loud, but they have a solid distinct feel. In the dark, with ear-protection on, there would be no trouble whatsoever counting off tenths of a mil.

The windage turret has the same distinct feel to the clicks, but takes a bit more torque to turn. Overall, the additional torque needed to turn the windage knob takes away from the feel. It does however seem to be getting better with every turn. I think the o-ring is just a little tight and will break-in nicely.

Overall, i really like the scope. I had hoped that the glass would blow my ST-10 out of the water, and i'm a little disappointed that its only slightly better, but that expectation may have been a little unreasonable. It's still very good glass, and everything looks fantastic mechanically.

So far, the only thing i dislike is how far-off the parallax infinity marking is. That will not effect the use of the scope though, so i'm happy.

Last edited:
I took it out today and did a tracking test.

All my through scope pics turned out to be crap. The target was bright and clear through the scope, but in the pics, it looked too bright to see the markings. I ended up with one pic that just barely showed the target markings.
u

The target was a grid of 10mm dots spaced 10cm apart. The horizontal lines are 1/16 thick and spaced vertically 2cm apart. I set up my tracking fixture @ 100 meters.

Starting with the 10 mil reticle hold at the top right dot on the target, I checked the tracking through 17 mils of elevation and 5 mils of windage in each direction.

The tracking and reticle subtensions were spot-on. If there was any error, it was less than I could detect with my eyeball and scope fixture.

Now, where's @ClamHammer747 to tell me about how bad the tracking is?😆

Last edited:
I have that same scope and started looking at it. Too early to have any results, but I like the reticle and the scope seems quite nice.

I'll do a "First Look" video next week some time.

ILya

Ok, that's not bad at all. Looks pretty minimal. From some of the posts early in the thread, I expected it to be "severe".

A small price to pay for the 17x FOV specs.

According to the specs, it has a field of view of 8.03 ft @ 100yds at 17x. I'll gladly tolerate a little tunnelling for that fov.

To contrast specs,

the 4-16 x 42 ATACR F1 has a field of view of 6.9 ft @ 100yds at 16x.

The FDN17x has a 16% better field of view, and at a higher magnification setting no less.

The XTR3, which is touted as having a great field of view, has a FOV of 6.8 ft @100yds at 18x. Considering the higher magnification setting, 6.8'@100yds is pretty good, but still a good ways behind the FDN17.

The Gen2 Razor 3-18 x 50 has a field of view of 6.25ft @100yds at 18x.

The Tangent Theta -may- equal or beat it, with a FOV of 9.02ft (2.8 meters) @100 meters. But, that is at 15x magnification. I'm not sure what this scopes fov would be theoretically, @ 17x and 100 yards.

So @ 1000 yards at max magnification, the FDN17 would have an 11.3 ft better fov than the ATACR, a 12.3 ft better field of view than the XTR3 and a 17.8 ft better fov that the gen 2 razor. I say bring on the tunneling, especially since its at the mag settings I'll rarely, if ever, use.

For an apples to apples comparison, XTR3 FOV on 17x is 7.2 ft, so it is a little less than FDN, but XTR3 has longer eye relief and no tunneling, so FOV will be notably wider on low power.

FDN has 9.1ft FOV on 15x, so it is a little wider than TT, although the same argument about eyerelief and tunneling applies.

I'll put together a table for a proper apples to apples comparison as I work through my review.

ILya

Congrats. You got a decent one. Now go test 5 of them. QC sucks balls and the reports of bad ones that have been sent back are higher than normal for a scope in that price range.

Well, so far we have a random sampling of 5 of these on this very thread having already been checked for tracking, so... um... You a Satitistcs and Probabilities major? 🤣

Out of curiosity, where are you getting your info about these FDN scopes already having to be sent back for repairs?

They only started selling them a couple months ago and you already know of a"higher than normal"number of these being sent back for repair? Not saying your full-of-shit, but...

Last edited:
For an apples to apples comparison, XTR3 FOV on 17x is 7.2 ft, so it is a little less than FDN, but XTR3 has longer eye relief and no tunneling, so FOV will be notably wider on low power.

8.03 ft to 7.2ft field of view difference is a little more than 10%. Whether that's a little or alot, or worth the trade-off in eye relief is subjective. At low mag settings, the XTR3 FOV is fantastic. I don't know of anything that comes close.

Burris says the XTR3 has 3.5 to 4 inches of eye relief and USO says the FDN17x has 3.2 inches.

It appears Burris is advertising the eye relief range from min to max magnification. So, @ 17x the Burris would have about 3/8" more eye relief than the USO?

For me, I would rather have the 10% FOV advantage, but I could certainly understand if someone else preferred the eye relief advantage.

Thanks for the info.

Last edited:
8.03 ft to 7.2ft field of view difference is a little more than 10%. Whether that's a little or alot, or worth the trade-off in eye relief is subjective. At low mag settings, the XTR3 FOV is fantastic. I don't know of anything that comes close.

Burris says the XTR3 has 3.5 to 4 inches of eye relief and USO says the FDN17x has 3.2 inches.

It appears Burris is advertising the eye relief range from min to max magnification. So, @ 17x the Burris would have about 3/8" more eye relief than the USO?

For me, I would rather have the 10% FOV advantage, but I could certainly understand if someone else preferred the eye relief advantage.

Thanks for the info.

I know this is kinda like the spelling police, but my OCD will bother me if I don't (sort of a Sheldon moment). Difference between 3.2 and 3.5 is three tenths (0.3), not 3/8.

Life is all about choices, so for some platforms eye relief is more important and for others it is not. It is nice to have options.

Have you tried to replace the battery on your FDN17? In terms of mechanical things, the way they did the illumination turret is kinda odd and I would have appreciated a windage turret that sticks out less. However, the elevation turret is really excellent. Low and wide with good feel, but still unobtrusive.

ILya

I know this is kinda like the spelling police, but my OCD will bother me if I don't (sort of a Sheldon moment). Difference between 3.2 and 3.5 is three tenths (0.3), not 3/8.

Life is all about choices, so for some platforms eye relief is more important and for others it is not. It is nice to have options.

Have you tried to replace the battery on your FDN17? In terms of mechanical things, the way they did the illumination turret is kinda odd and I would have appreciated a windage turret that sticks out less. However, the elevation turret is really excellent. Low and wide with good feel, but still unobtrusive.

ILya

Apologies, I should have worded that more clearly. Burris states 3.5 to 4" from the max (18x) to min magnification. I meant that the difference would be "about" or close, to 3/8" or .375" @ 17x. I think when the term about is used, Sheldon allows rounding to one significan figure :). Sorry, when I try to joke few people ever laugh.

I stated "about", because I haven't tried to calculate it specifically for the Burris @ 17x.

I'd try, but linear interpolation would only work if the change in eye relief with respect to magnification was linear. I'm not sure if it is or not.

And yes sir, I am not a fan of the battery compartment. My ST10 has a better illumination setup than the FDN. I may try them for interchangeability.

Edited to add:
@koshkin, I'm glad you mentioned the battery box. That made me consider the possibility that the 3 button rheostat from my older USO might work.
I swapped them out, and it works perfectly, but rotated 90° clockwise. It's still a little odd in design, to change the battery, but I'm getting used to it. The older 3 button rheostat works in the FDN, and gives the option of leaving it on a specific brightness setting then using the on/off button to deactivate it.

Last edited:
Apologies, I should have worded that more clearly. Burris states 3.5 to 4" from the max (18x) to min magnification. I meant that the difference would be "about" or close, to 3/8" or .375" @ 17x. I think when the term about is used, Sheldon allows rounding to one significan figure :). Sorry, when I try to joke few people ever laugh.

I stated "about", because I haven't tried to calculate it specifically for the Burris @ 17x.

I'd try, but linear interpolation would only work if the change in eye relief with respect to magnification was linear. I'm not sure if it is or not.

And yes sir, I am not a fan of the battery compartment. My ST10 has a better illumination setup than the FDN. I may try them for interchangeability.

Edited to add:
@koshkin, I'm glad you mentioned the battery box. That made me consider the possibility that the 3 button rheostat from my older USO might work.
I swapped them out, and it works perfectly, but rotated 90° clockwise. It's still a little odd in design, to change the battery, but I'm getting used to it. The older 3 button rheostat works in the FDN, and gives the option of leaving it on a specific brightness setting then using the on/off button to deactivate it.

Eyerelief being listed as 4-3.5 does not necessarily mean that is the variation as magnification changes, although it can be. Also, there is some fore and aft latitude to eyerelief and oftentimes that is what the specification describes. With XTR III, if you look at the specs carefully, the eyerelief should be very consistent with magnification and the prototype I saw reflected that. I suspect the "4-3.5" reflects the greater eye positioning latitude on low magnification, rather than the change in eyerelief.

For the record, FDN17x also has very consistent eyerelief: I do not have to shift my shooting position with magnificaiton changes.

ILya

Eyerelief being listed as 4-3.5 does not necessarily mean that is the variation as magnification changes, although it can be. Also, there is some fore and aft latitude to eyerelief and oftentimes that is what the specification describes. With XTR III, if you look at the specs carefully, the eyerelief should be very consistent with magnification and the prototype I saw reflected that. I suspect the "4-3.5" reflects the greater eye positioning latitude on low magnification, rather than the change in eyerelief.

For the record, FDN17x also has very consistent eyerelief: I do not have to shift my shooting position with magnificaiton changes.

ILya

Thank you sir

As always, your insight is appreciated. As an industry insider, your reviews and opinions carry alot of weight.

I have two ST-10’s and both on remy 700 308’s
I run both all the time and never had any problems

I have been running a FDN 25 on a 300 Norma Mag for a few months now. No issues and running flawlessly. It’s been to 1.5 miles and back a few times without missing a beat. Solid scope and glass is excellent.

My FDN17x is still working quite well. I took it to Caylens wind clinic in Yakima a couple weeks ago. It's was hot, windy and heavy mirage. My scope worked fine. The tracking was good, the glass was clear and bright and the JVCR reticle was easy to use.

@koshkin has one of these on one of his rifles for some testing and evaluation. I've no doubt he will give a thorough review in the near future.

He has a first look video up:

For those of you using one of these, how is the parallax knob?
My parallax knob is dead accurate and parallax free on the 100yd marking, but reaches infinity just over halfway through the knobs range of adjustment. I marked the point where it reaches infinity with a sharpie.
The knob will turn past that sharpie mark though, after which the parallax starts increasing again but in reverse.

It doesn't affect the function of the scope at all, so I don't care. I was curious if it's just mine that does this, or all of them.

Last edited:
Honestly I don’t think I’ve touched my parallax once except for shooting at 100 yards. Anything 300+, it’s set it and forget for me.

Ken, how'd it do with the heavy mirage?

I had no trouble at all in mirage. Seeing through mirage was easy. Seeing through the sunscreen contaminated sweat pouring into my eyes was harder.

We had wind switching from 11:00 all the way through 3:00, around to 6:00. Speeds from 10mph to well over 20mph for 2 days.

But, we had Kahles, Leupold, Vortex and @Skookum with a Burris XTR2 3-15 there as well. I don't recall anyones scope being unable to see through the mirage.

Last edited: