• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Using CCI 34 primer in GMM clone

MJY65

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 4, 2011
Minnesota
I'm going to put together a batch of 308 ammo that can be used in both my JP LRP-07 and M1A. Both shoot the Fed 168 GMM quite well, so I'd like to use the 42.8gr of 4064, Fed Brass, 168 SMK components suggested in Dan N's thread. My question is about substituting the CCI34 primer instead of the 210M. My goal would be to get a bit of extra insurance against a slam fire.

Any additional factors with the substitution I need to be aware of? I kind of doubt accuracy would be significantly degraded by not using a match primer in a semi-auto, but who knows.

Thanks<script type="text/javascript" src="safari-extension://com.ebay.safari.myebaymanager-QYHMMGCMJR/49c77627/background/helpers/prefilterHelper.js"></script>

MJY,

I use the CCI #34s as a direct replacement for WLRs in my 308 and 30-06 loads. You may have to back off the load a touch, I'd work up from a grain of powder lower.

You're welcome,
DocB

If they both shoot well with gold medal ammo why worry about slam fires with that primer?

That's one side of my argument. I've never had a slam with either rifle using GM, but I understand the 34 gives a little extra margin of safety in that regard.

I've used all sorts of primers for loads in m1as and garands without ever having a problem. As long as you know how to properly prime a case it's no big deal. 42.8 would be a good guess but it'll vary depending on your specific powder and primer lots, neck tension, seating depth etc.

My only beef with CCI brs and gold medals is that they cost too much. I get virtually the same results with regular CCI which cost 30% less.

Federal 210M are the only primer I've ever used in my M1A Loaded. I always uniform the primer pockets after each loading to assure proper seating; I've never had a slam fire.

Federal 210M are the only primer I've ever used in my M1A Loaded. I always uniform the primer pockets after each loading to assure proper seating; I've never had a slam fire.

That is the trick! Uniform the durn pockets for semi's! I only do it once though, cases just don't last that long in my M1a's and AR's.