• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes USMC mild dot reticle ?

Bravo 1

Private
Minuteman
Jul 25, 2010
USA
Is this reticle still in use and does any manufacturer make this reticle ?

I have 3 MK 4 Leupolds that years ago had Premier reticle install but they have no dealings with Leupold anymore. The guy I spoke with did nothing but bad mouth them.

Not sure what happened here but wanting a new scope for a new fire stick I wanted to keep all my reticles the same.

Is this reticle not widely used anymore ?

Thanks.

Re: USMC mild dot reticle ?

Are you talking about the oval mildots commonly reffered to as USMC mildots or the Gen II reticle that was offered in the Leupolds by Premier and is now in use by the USMC in their S&Bs?

I have the VX III Tactical (pre MK IV) in 4.5x14x50mm w/side focus & USMC Mildot reticle.... Don't know if they are made anymore, but there are a few out there to be found in the used market.... No, mine is not FS! LOL! GL!!!

I don't think the "football" dots are made anymore, by anyone.

The sole reason for them was the use of wire reticles at the time and the footballs were glued (or some reticles were flattened to form the oblong dots?). With current, more accurate and more resistant etched reticles they are not needed anymore, and there is far more flesibility for desig, line thickness, dots, etc.

Yep thats the one.

Just looking to keep things simple - have the same mil dots.

Will check out the S&B. Hopefully they have 1/2 windage and 1 MOA elevation.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Are you talking about the oval mildots commonly reffered to as USMC mildots or the Gen II reticle that was offered in the Leupolds by Premier and is now in use by the USMC in their S&Bs? </div></div>

they don't make them any more because they were the product of the process as stated above. When adding the dots to the wire reticles, <span style="font-style: italic">(circa 1978) </span> the material <span style="font-style: italic">"ran" </span> along the wire creating the oblong effect.

Today's technology is so much better you don't have these issues... however at Mil is a Mil and a standard Mil Dot is still a Mil in value. The only difference is the slight edge to edge difference from .75 to .8 which you're not going to worry about anyway.

If you want a scope with 1 MOA elevation and 1/2 MOA windage you might want to look at Nightforce, as S&B will not have this without a custom order. NF has this combination stock.

The first Unertls sold to Marine Corps had round dots. It is my understanding that it was feared the round dots could be knocked loose from the reticle wires, and so the oval dots were the result of a change in manufacturing that allowed for stronger attachment to the wires. I don't know when the transition took place, but I know the round dots were in use until <span style="font-style: italic">at least</span> 1984.

We (Premier) no longer makes any wire reticles. The technology is outdated. In our new Hunter line we can install custom glass reticles but that won't be available until later this year.

To the OP, I did not mean to bad mouth Leupold, I am merely answering the same question that is always asked- that being "What happened". In order to explain that I tell the truth and that might not always be what you want to hear. So I do apologize if I came across as bad mouthing them- it was not my intent.

Thanks,
Paul