• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO > Simmons > rock (USO torture test)

kombar

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 28, 2008
Everett, WA
You always hear people say "I could hammer nails with my USO", but the reality seems to be that all optics are a little tougher than we think. Well, this one goes out to all the people too afraid to hit a new USO on a phonebook to knock a little dust off their reticle. (Brought to you by: Salmonaxe, Kombar, and Barikade from the Hide)

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpO8X4E_9vs&feature=player_profilepage"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/xpO8X4E_9vs&feature=player_profilepage" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: USO > Simmons > rock (USO torture test)

Testing results:

Simmons: Once broken into two pieces, the Simmons Prohunter actually becomes indestructible. I really feared that the USO would not have been durable enough to destroy the back half of the Simmons. Seriously, it broke the rock! Sure, at the end of the test it was like looking through an ice cube, and the reticle was broken as well, but the housing was unbelievably tough.

Bushnell: The Bushnell Taiwan exceeded all of our expectations and then some. Hell, it even made it to final death with the USO. We all expected failure right from the start, since we’d pulled it apart a few days before and saw the pathetic construction firsthand. We were surprised when it did fail though, since it wasn’t where we were expecting it to.

USO: The USO was, as everyone here already would have thought, extremely tough. It was the sole survivor, and was used later that day to help zero a couple of rifles.

Even with its triumphant victory, I do have a few complaints:

-The sunshade threads are far too weak. There isn't enough material underneath them, and a serious hit from one side will bend the threads in, and the sunshade will fall off. You may notice that the second half of the video was shot with only the solid screw on caps in place, and no sunshade. The threads should be reinforced with another millimeter or two of material underneath where they screw into the objective.

-The parallax/focus settings should be labeled (I had to label them myself with paper and clear tape), and there should be a stop which prevents focusing past infinity, since it’s pointless to do so anyway.

-It would be nice to see some spotting scope specific reticles, such as the one found in the Zeiss Spotter 60, in addition to the current assortment of riflescope reticles offered.

-The option of a shorter eye relief eyepiece would be nice, to help improve the poor FOV. I understand that this was done for a USMC contract in order to clear the issue gas masks, but couldn’t the design have been tweaked a bit before selling to the civilian market?

-The image produced by this scope is not very good at all. I can see that USO does use quality glass and coatings, evidenced by the color, contrast and low light performance observed through the scope, but something about this particular design seems to result in a fog of chromatic aberration, which makes accurate ranging and target identification very difficult. I’m not kidding when I say that I can more easily identify objects, trace, and any hits/misses with the $85 Barska Blackhawk (shown mounted next to the USO at the end of the video) than I can with the USO. I have seen one other example of a USO field spotter, and was equally unimpressed.

Rock: Well, what can I say? We didn't have to pay anything for it, but it was somewhat lacking in resolution, contrast, color rendition, and reticle choices. In the end, it fell to the Simmons, so I can hardly recommend it for anything.

The aftermath:

The USO did sustain some damage, but it's still functional, and I will continue to use it. It appears that the objective lens (or maybe one right behind it) has suffered a large crack. This doesn't seem to affect the image in any way that I can tell. If anything, the image is slightly better.
There are also a couple of small dents in the objective bell which makes adjusting for parallax a little... difficult. It now requires the strength of four men and a child to turn the focus past 200 yards, and if you actually get it past 200, it has a tendency to jump past infinity, where you can pretty much forget about turning it back the other way.
Overall though, it sustained a surprisingly small amount of damage, considering what we put it through.

I think I’d give the USO Field Spotting Scope a ‘C plus’. While not perfect, it does fill a couple of important roles, providing a means of accurately calling shots, and acting as a backup ranging device. In addition to those things, it is fairly compact and easy to pack, and I now know that I can absolutely count on it to survive any field mishaps.

I’m certainly looking forward to the release of the “real” spotting scope John III says is in the works, since it should be correcting some of the problems with this one. While I haven't heard anything about it, it is supposedly planned for release at the end of 2009 (Referenced in this thread: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...4371#Post954371).

that was some of the greatest shit i have every seen........... good stuff

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: osuarchitect</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the simmons for sale? </div></div>

2nd in line!

lol nice!

WOW!! Thats all I can say at this point.

Hmmm... Maybe we should gather the remains and list them:

"Thine Scopes which hath been smite by thine divine USO Spotting Mace."

Good thing neither of you boys made it out to our shoot!!! Some people might have been without optics once you showed up!!!

If we do end up meeting that USO should be with you as proof no matter where you go!!

That was fun... Now S&B, USO, premier, IOR. Who will win. Better yet, who can sponsor it?
smile.gif

To be a "fly on the wall" at USO. The number of JRA (Just Riding Along) storys that Jeff and Becky must hear...........

Here's a few pictures shot the same day:

This is all of the damage that the USO's objective bell sustained. Really, it was just those two little dents!
usobell.jpg

The objective lens did crack however...
scopefront.jpg

Yes, those are glass shards floating around the bottom of the tube.
objcrack.jpg

This is what was left of the Simmons. The erector tube and its lenses were still intact, and the windage adjustment still functioned fine! As you can see here, however, the elevation knob was blown completely off of the housing, so it lost a few points for durability there. Not to mention that half of it is missing... I really can't believe it failed so quickly.
simmons.jpg

A picture of the Simmons' occular lens. The view looking directly through the scope is about the same.
simmonsglass.jpg

All that remained of the Bushnell (for those of you wondering which model it really was, it was like a 12-36x50 or something like that, I really don't know).
bushnelltaiwan.jpg

This was great and all but when are you going to show the USO surviving the phonebook test? I don't me an Albuquerque or Austin phonebook, I am thinking NYC or LA. Hehehehe

if nightforce could come out with the same scope i wonder if it would survive the same test

<----- Scope smasher

Thing is, we just had to know...some of historie's best results have been aquired through simply removing rational thought.

SO what's the point? In high school I have a shops teach who always said that you don't use a chisel for a screwdriver and you don't use a screwdriver for a chisel, each tool has it's use and place. I never knew that a scope was supposed to be used for a hammer.

Well in terms of form factor, a scope is pretty close to a hammer in comparison to other tools. It just happened to be the way we decided to test them. It provided blunt force trauma in a way we could control. It's not as if we could have put them both on the spotting mount and waited for one to fail under "normal" use. You cannot test tools under "normal" use with a day job....

Reelman, USO claims that their scopes are the most durable in the industry. Sure, there have been some stories of John II smashing scopes on tables at SHOT, or the time he threw an SN-12 being reviewed across a parking lot, but anyone who has just bought one isn't going to risk their investment to see just how durable their $2,000 optic really is. The majority of scopes sold will never receive so much as a scuff.

I wasn't out to waste $1,000. I was expecting that scope to survive everything we put it through, and it did. You'll notice we didn't smash it with the rock, or do anything really over the top. If I wanted to break it, I'd have hit it with an axe.

The point of doing this was to prove, if to no one other than myself, that their scopes really can withstand some severe punishment, far worse than you could reasonably expect in the course of normal use, and remain operational. Well, I'm sold.

I've seen John III's tests. Only thing I am curious about, is WTF you would want to do that. You got that much easy money you can just beat the hell out of a really nice spotting scope? SHit, I would have to eat raman for months to get one of those. I'm just sayin...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've seen John III's tests. Only thing I am curious about, is WTF you would want to do that. You got that much easy money you can just beat the hell out of a really nice spotting scope? SHit, I would have to eat raman for months to get one of those. I'm just sayin... </div></div>

The only role the USO was providing at the time was ranging with the mildot. Kombar has two other optically superior spotting scopes that are used for...well, spotting. And if you think about it in the grand scheme of things, a lifetime of shooting and wondering how much of your money's worth you are actually getting, 1k is not that assinine of a sacrifice. That's the official reason, the short version is that the optical quality is the weakpoint on the USO, and the conclusion of our test is that if USO improved the optical quality and kept the same durability and strength, it would be a fantastic investment and a great buy.

if 1k isn't an assinine sacrifice then you are levels of paygrade above me. I have been trying to save for one of those, but truck parts, car parts, bike parts, and Panty 6's trip south to get the house ready have prevented me from buying the USO spotting scope I wanted. So, I am stuck using my Tasco and wishing it could see as well as my ST-10.
Call it jealousy or envy or whatever you like. Me I wish I had that scope because it's levels above what I have.
You can afford to waste stuff like that, have at it!
Me, If I could have done that, I would have more than likely passed it on to a shooter who could use it. That's just me though. Jeez, I guess I AM kinda envious...

I for one will agree and attest to pretty much everything Switch just said.

But, I will also add, that after reading accounts like what happened to M. Luttrell whilst falling down the mountain, only to get to the bottom and there was his rifle, which had fallen down with him. He picked it up, and started using it again. (my memory's terrible, so bear with my poor re-iteration)

The fact that this scope is tough enough to take that type of ride, (God forbid) and keep on working when it most desperately needs to, is what impresses me the most.

I too don't own one. It will be some time before I can. Others have chimed in more than once about the actual view through it. I cannot comment on that at all. IF there are issues, and then IF there are improvements, then what drawback could possibly be perceived?

I've heard of the various 'tortures', 'beatings', 'whackings', and whatnot. On tables, phone books, tosses from the bench, and all that. This video though, should put all speculations to rest. Definitively.

I say, Good Job. More balls than me. Less brains possibly too. (Yes, that was a joke,,,,) But good job to the 'testers' and moreso to the folks at USOptics.

God Willing, One Day,,,

So, I was there. Filming as a conscientious objector. I would never do the same with my USO's. But it was something to behold.

All said and done, I think that if USO made the focus ring and the power rings on their scopes out of either Steel or Titanium, there would have been no way to damage the internal lenses and those rings would work fine. It would make the scope nearly indestructible. As it is, they are VERY durable.

Personally I think the next time I order a USO scope, I'm going to get it with the turret caps and forgo the EREK. That easily increases the durability a huge amount. I'd like to see if they'd humor me and make the ergo and power rings out of steel.

I am going to put it out there again. Does anyone have the video of the uso getting tossed in the clay thrower??
Are you kidding me? Won't be happening with anything I own, but I loved seeing it. If you can afford to do this, thanks, I don't need to now do it to mine.
Chad

I'd like to see that video too, since I've only ever seen people talk about it. I checked Google and all that, but it just points to threads here where people are asking if someone has it. The only other video I've seen is the one where the guys throw an SN3 down a hill a few times.

I must say though, I'm finding it amusing that everyone keeps talking about money. I didn't lose any money, the scope still works fine.
laugh.gif

Maybe around the end of the year, if I can scrape up some cash to upgrade my current ST-10 (to a different ST-10), I'll do something similar, except this time it will be mounted on a rifle. I think the real challenge will be setting up the rifle to take abuse, since I have reason to believe the ST-10 will handle whatever we can throw at it.

ST-10's are tough. So are SN4's. I have seen JBWIII's collection of combat vets and added one of my own(my first SN4 that went to Afghanistan). Abuse is one thing. The abuse, as in hits, bumps, whatever, a rifle and scope take in a combat theater can be as tough. The scope body is tough. It can pound nails. I don't think any scope, once it is assembled though, can stand up to the forces of outright abuse because, as in Ranger Testing, there is no end to it until the scope finally breaks.

Seems kinda like deja vu from '02, and later when the real tests were being done.
Here's a test for you:
Put your scope on your rifle. Put on some 70+/- pounds of ammo and IBA. Run through a hut made of metal plates, mud, wood, fiberglass, and glass. Run as fast as you can without hitting the rifle and scope on the hut's construction, much less your exposed body parts and rifle(your path is maybe 4" narrower than YOU in your gear anyway) Do this for say 150M or 300M if you can(I am fragged at 300M). Do it repeatedly at least once a week for oh, say four months. If your scope can stand up to that kind of abuse, well, maybe hammering nails with it is kind of a moot point.

I never saw any video of the clay thrower, but I did take a coouple of pictures. Also the M80 in the tube, truck parked on top etc.....usual fun at the USO shop.
John III
370610814.jpg

370610818.jpg

370610820.jpg

370610821.jpg