• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO SN3 TPAL Gen 2 XR W/Bent Tube

Re: USO SN3 TPAL Gen 2 XR W/Bent Tube

USO is a class act,when I first called them about my problem,with the full understanding that I was totally responsible for the damage to the scope,no defect,nothing they should be liable for in any way,only called to get an estimate to repair,unseen by anyone except for me(and a certain young man at the gun store)the immidiate response was,send it back and we will build you another one.I don"t know about you guys,but USO optics are going on all of my firearms.You just cannot get that kind of customer care from any where else.Oh yeah,I think I will send my rifle to USO and let them mount my scope this time.

Here is the thing you guys don't understand.

The optics that John and the boys at USO run on the company guns are those that are sent back as "broke". As John said he's pumped that he has a scope for his .243. That's the President of the company going to run a scope that is "BENT". In otherwords no matter how bad you bend them they will still get used and function just as good as the ones sent to the customers new out of the mill.

I got to get in line for the next "bent" optic
laugh.gif

Cheers,

Doc

I really do not think that I should explain what I do/don't do with stuff I buy,or how I handle situations that arise,but since a few people seem to be overly concerned:I took possesion of my scope on July 2nd or 3rd,one of those days,I think Friday the 3rd at around 10;00 PM.No,I do not own an inch pound or foot pound torque wrench,It was/is an extremly nice optic,I bought it for my GAP 7mmWSM,which I purchased here on the Hide,The next day was July 4th,The first opportunity I had to get it mounted was Sunday,July 5th.The name of the store is not important because as I said it is a large chain store,they have a large turn over of employees I'm sure,so the young man that mounted mine won't be mounting yours.Many college kids work there,maybe one who messed up my scope.Now let me see,today is Thursday ,July 9TH,I called USO to get an estimate to repair on Monday ,July 6TH,which I am sure could not be provided without first seeing the scope.At that time,I was told to return the scope to USO.I shipped the scope on Wednesday, July 8TH,they recieved it today,promptly called me to let me know they had it.My middle son plans to work at the sporting goods store when he starts college this Fall,now you tell me,what do you think the store owes me outside of an apoligy,and just wht good would it do for me to show my ass at the store.I do plan to talk to the manager of the gun section about the mis-hap,but out side of that, nothing.As far as the guy knowing he screwed up,I dont know,it was hardley noticeable while it was in the rings,besides that,if he did know he was probably scared s***less.I had made a big deal about the scope before he took it back.I think he made a mistake,as I did.As far as my gun skills,I primarily hunt and fish,never owned a firearm of this caliber before,that is why I frequent this webb site,TO LEARN.I do know how to shoot,and handle a firearm as I was attached to 2nd/75th ranger battallion in 80,81,but we did'nt have GAPs and USOs.I also run my own business and work from around 5;30AM untill 9to 10PM six days a week,it is just more convienent for me to hire most of my work,even though I enjoy doing it myself when I have time.There has been a couple of you that posted some pretty nasty stuff,for you,I hope this clears things up,if not,PM me and you can mosey on down to Greenville and kick my Ass. To everyone else,Thanks for your input,Kenny

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: godblesstheUSA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I really do not think that I should explain what I do/don't do with stuff I buy,or how I handle situations that arise,but since a few people seem to be overly concerned:I took possesion of my scope on July 2nd or 3rd,one of those days,I think Friday the 3rd at around 10;00 PM.No,I do not own an inch pound or foot pound torque wrench,It was/is an extremly nice optic,I bought it for my GAP 7mmWSM,which I purchased here on the Hide,The next day was July 4th,The first opportunity I had to get it mounted was Sunday,July 5th.The name of the store is not important because as I said it is a large chain store,they have a large turn over of employees I'm sure,so the young man that mounted mine won't be mounting yours.Many college kids work there,maybe one who messed up my scope.Now let me see,today is Thursday ,July 9TH,I called USO to get an estimate to repair on Monday ,July 6TH,which I am sure could not be provided without first seeing the scope.At that time,I was told to return the scope to USO.I shipped the scope on Wednesday, July 8TH,they recieved it today,promptly called me to let me know they had it.My middle son plans to work at the sporting goods store when he starts college this Fall,now you tell me,what do you think the store owes me outside of an apoligy,and just wht good would it do for me to show my ass at the store.I do plan to talk to the manager of the gun section about the mis-hap,but out side of that, nothing.As far as the guy knowing he screwed up,I dont know,it was hardley noticeable while it was in the rings,besides that,if he did know he was probably scared s***less.I had made a big deal about the scope before he took it back.I think he made a mistake,as I did.As far as my gun skills,I primarily hunt and fish,never owned a firearm of this caliber before,that is why I frequent this webb site,TO LEARN.I do know how to shoot,and handle a firearm as I was attached to 2nd/75th ranger battallion in 80,81,but we did'nt have GAPs and USOs.I also run my own business and work from around 5;30AM untill 9to 10PM six days a week,it is just more convienent for me to hire most of my work,even though I enjoy doing it myself when I have time.There has been a couple of you that posted some pretty nasty stuff,for you,I hope this clears things up,if not,PM me and you can mosey on down to Greenville and kick my Ass. To everyone else,Thanks for your input,Kenny </div></div>

Dude! break that post into paragraphs! I got a headach just looking at it.

GodBlesstheUSA,

Good post. Good points. You seem to have some integrity, and that's good to see too.

Just to be clear here, if I've said anything in my posts that offend you, let me know, as I meant no offense. Otherwise, I've no issue with you at all.

My points were towards the dog-piling.

I understand what you are saying, and it's your property that was damaged so it's your right to see what satisfaction YOU deem appropriate.

Let's just say that I would not have been as forgiving. If someone who SHOULD be trained and experienced in working on expensive firearms jacks one of mine up, it should not be another party that makes it right. In this case I am happy that USO took care of you. Doubly so since I have two USO scopes in progress right now. However, why should USO pay for the failings of some idiot who can't tell the difference between torque wrenches. He just caused a $2K mistake. I am not saying HE should loose his job over it. But at the least the guy who's job it is to oversee that department should be bending over backwards to make it right.

THAT is the part that doesn't sit right with me. If my mechanic blows up my motor from his crappy installation job, Chevrolet shouldn't have to provide a new one.

Chevy is bankrupt and USO is still going strong, hmmm, maybe Govt. Motors should call John and get a few pointers. I just had a personal experience with USO CS. I let an AR-50 fall off the hood of a Ford F-250, it landed upside down in the middle of a county road bending the steel elevation knob cover. I picked the rifle up, dusted it off and checked zero, it was still dead on. That happened about three yrs ago, I have used the scope all this time and have had no problems with it. I sent it back a few weeks ago to have it fitted with a long eye relief eye-piece. I got it back last week with the new eyepiece, yep, it also had a nice new cover on top. I didnt ask for it and wasnt charged for it. These folks make a good product and will bend over backwards to make you happy. NUFF SAID.

Don't know how the store would handle it.They have no idea what happened.The store is an hour and a half away from me,and I work in the other direction.This just happened,it may be a week or two before I get back to the store.Why would anyone trash the store when we dont know what they would or would not have done.We do know one thing,we know what,John and the folks at USO will do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey guys, Just got the scope in a while ago, been in a meeting all morning and was just able to take a look at it.....sure as shit, this thing is f**ked up!

After looking at it and replicating it, I know exactly what happened.....bigger hammer theory. It IS possible to do what was done, but it took some effort to do so. Marty's rings are so damn strong, and using #8 screws with a torx head helped, that it crushed it like a vise! I think this was a missunderstanding between inch pounds and foot pounds.

I will tell you that this is a U.S. Optics first, and I don't think we will change anything engineering wise, seeing how we destroyed a pair of rings trying to replicate.

****WARNING**** Inch pounds, NOT foot pounds guys. Also, Badger rings are meant to have a small gap between the top and bottom halves. And finally, if something feels too tight, it probably is.

We are going to build another scope for GodBlesstheUSA, we just feel really sorry that this happened to such a good guy. In no way was he to blame.

BTW, the scope is going on my .243!
John III </div></div>

John,

do us all a favor and post a picture of the scope. Also, even though the tube is crushed, are you saying that the scope is still operational?

Thanks!

Here are some pictures for you guys. It is really hard to see in the pictures, I build scopes and leave the photography up to Tony, but I think you should be able to see it.
Also, note that the thing was clamped down so hard that it actually screwed up the engraving on the bottom of the tube!
We ran the scope through its paces, everything is OK, just looks like hell. I will try to use 2 30mm ring halves in a vice to try to straighten it a little before I mount it on my rifle, if not I will have to get a set of rings from Marty that match the indentation.
John III
369209757.jpg

369209771.jpg

369209781.jpg

369209791.jpg

369209808.jpg

I guess he didn't have to worry about the scope slipping in the rings. It was custom fitted.
eek.gif

Damn.
Nice example of an idiot with too much confidence.
Thanks for posting pic's, John.

Have you considered bedding the scope to the rear ring once you get the high-spots out? Release agent on the rings and just let the epoxy bond with the tube.....with a little tape to keep it confined to the objectionable area.

For those that said it couldn't be done: you underestimate the strength of Badger's rings/threads. Usually in the battle of steel vs aluminum, steel will win.

Give some troops a 1lb steel ball bearing and a 2lb ball peen hammer-they will lose the ball bearing and break the hammer......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JBW#3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We ran the scope through its paces, everything is OK, just looks like hell." - John III

369209757.jpg

369209771.jpg

369209781.jpg

369209791.jpg

369209808.jpg
</div></div>

This ends the debate for me. A scope that is brutalized that much and still works! Amazing!

John, my hat is off to you and US Optics.

godblesstheUSA, your seemingly impossible statement is actual fact! I apoligize for all the bad thoughts I had about you!
grin.gif

I wish you the best luck in the future!

That is pretty intense, I'm impressed. Does give me a warm fuzzy feeling knowing that my USO can stand that kind of abuse and keep on ticking. Can't wait to start my new job so I can start saving up funds for my next USO.

Damn, it looks like he bottomed out one side and then started wrenching on the other to get it closed. I wouldn't be surprised if the ring tops were a bit out of round and the screws a bit "stretched".

Cheers,

Doc

Wait, all the scopes are not supposed to look like that??? My opinion is well done for the CS. He is helping out this guy and I am sure this thread will help sell more scopes in the long run. Great CS goes a long way with me. Once I sell my other kidney, I will buy a USO scope. Well, might not be such a good idea.....

Its not as bad as my buddys scope.It was UGLY but it worked fine.I asked him about it and he said the guy had used a ratchet to torque the rings and yes they were Badgers.

That was some serious stupid at work.

Once again, USO comes through. In this current climate of "screw the customer", I know where my $$ is going!

Good stuff, John, good stuff!

Put some rings on the good part, and give it the Mike Rogan 550 cord treatment to cover the ugly...

I doubt they vary that much, but could the moron in question have sone that much damage ignoring the numbering on the badgers (wrong caps with wrong bases)?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: lumpy grits</div><div class="ubbcode-body">WOW, with that kind of damage what make's you think that moron could READ the instructions to start with.........
Respectfully,
LG </div></div>

Took the words right out of my mouth!

Seen the pics, poor guy, didn't read some of this post. Too looonng!

For sure I demand some form of payment back from the store, then I would send that money to John at USO.

BTW, I have been told that round pegs fit into square holes, now I know for sure!

Thank You for posting the pics John!That first pic is a gunsmith course all in one shot!!!! barry

I would like to know what experience is needed to be a gunsmuck for that chain store. That is just pure nonsense and that so called gun repair person should not ever be allowed to walk through the tool section at Sears.

OK I retract my shenanigans call.
smile.gif

And seriously, holy crap. godblesstheUSA, you are a saint with the patience of Job. If I walked into that store and I saw that, people would have had to hold me down or I'd have jumped that retail store countertop and pummelled the guy for doing that kind of damage to my scope! If this is how he mounts a scope, I'd hate to see how he cleans a bore (probably with ammonia and a chisel).

To John and USO -- one hell of a product testimonial you got here! And you guys deserve it, great job.

You can have the rings off my rifle when you get it next week,I'LL be sporting some USOs

John get a couple of Marty or Glenns 6 screw rings it will cover it all up you'll never know the difference.

Dont give me too much credit,GewGaw,I did'nt realize what had happened until after I got home,I was pretty pissed,good thing it is such a long drive.

how in the hell do you not notice something like that at the store? did you not inspect it before accpeting it from the moron behind the counter?

I didn't know you could fit a "cheater pipe" on a hex wrench.

There are three astounding things, to me, about this whole episode:

1. Someone, with presumably hand tools damaged one of the best built, toughest scopes on the planet.
2. John is building him a new one gratis!
3. John did the same thing for me last year.

US Optics is THE Optics company to furnish all your needs. Good on ya' John...good on ya'!

The "professional" who did this should come up with some cash and USO should be paid.

Simply not fair. Just because a company is willing to fix other peoples stupid, doesnt mean they should have to in order to maintain their great CS. This is just counterproductive.

GbtUSA, I would go to the owner of that shop and ask for some money. That is simply negligent. Not USO's fault IN ANY WAY. The same result would have happened with S&B, Premier or any other scope, with that monkey using a breaker bar to "sung down" rings. Why should USO bear the burden?

It would be different if USO had allowed a flawed optic out and they made that right. JMO.

Just to give everyone an update;

I decided to mount the scope on my new CZ700 Sniper, took about 8 months to get this thing imported and I want to shoot it badly!

I clamped the scope in a set of our rings without trying to straighten the tube, everything mounted up just fine!
John III

370256107.jpg

370256113.jpg

370256120.jpg