• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes USO TS20X focusing/parallax issue at 50yrds - UPDATE in the OP

AnimalMother224

maybe steel go ding
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 1, 2014
east side
I finally got my 22LR rifle setup yesterday and zeroed it at the range. its a Tikka T1x in an MPA chassis with a Area419 30MOA base. the scope is sitting in a MPA mount with 20 MOA

So Im sitting with 50MOA to start with.

I noticed that with a magnification anything higher than 8x the image is incredibly blurry and only clears up (barely) at parallax set to infinity. when its set to 50yds (or close to it ) the image is blurry with the mag anything higher than around 8x

Am I down too deep into the mechanical range and is it messing with image quality ?

this one has me stumped. I should be able to zoom in at max mag, set parallax... or did I miss something here.

UPDATE. USO stepped up big time and reached out to me directly from this post. They initiated a return authorization and sent me a prepaid UPS label. I shipped the scope back and the replaced it no questions asked. Solid Customer Service. Ill be mounting in the morning and have a practice session tomorrow afternoon and will get it zeroed back in at 50yrds.

Last edited:
Reactions: FJBPrecision
have you adjusted scope diopter correctly to your vision ?

yes. sorry I should have mentioned that above. Diopter is set perfect for my eyes. reticle is crystal clear. I ran the diopter all the way out and all the way in just to see if that was an issue and it didnt change other than the reticle clarity

I wonder if adding that much height from the 50 MOA bases is messing up your minimum parallax?
You should be able to use max magnification at minimum parallax setting clearly.

I wonder if adding that much height from the 50 MOA bases is messing up your minimum parallax?
You should be able to use max magnification at minimum parallax setting clearly.

I agree.. I think its bottomed out too much and the parallax isn't adjusting accordingly. thats really the only thing I can think of.

Did you try and dial the scope back to around middle of elevation and check for improvement?
I didnt, and I wish I did. Reason why I didnt, I forgot the Allen key to reset my turrets and didnt want to lose the zero as I was crunched for time. Im going to dick with it today and run it back to mechanical middle and see if it changes.

Stupid question but wouldn’t dialing the turret up ~30MOA achieve the same means? All your trying to do is get the reticle back to some semblance of center. Then you're not having to mess with zero.

Zero issues with parallax here. What rings are you using?

I finally got my 22LR rifle setup yesterday and zeroed it at the range. its a Tikka T1x in an MPA chassis with a Area419 30MOA base. the scope is sitting in a MPA mount with 20 MOA

So Im sitting with 50MOA to start with.

I noticed that with a magnification anything higher than 8x the image is incredibly blurry and only clears up (barely) at parallax set to infinity. when its set to 50yds (or close to it ) the image is blurry with the mag anything higher than around 8x

Am I down too deep into the mechanical range and is it messing with image quality ?

this one has me stumped. I should be able to zoom in at max mag, set parallax... or did I miss something here.

Hey there,

The issues you are experiencing with the TS-20X parallax are not normal. I would recommend sending it in to us for an assessment and repair/replacement. Check your PMs for further instructions on how we can get this taken care of for you.

Last edited:
Hey there,

The issues you are experiencing with the TS-20X parallax are not normal. I would recommend sending it in to us for an assessment and repair/replacement. Check your PMs for further instructions on how we can get this taken care of for you.
This has brought up some questions in my mind. Could you comment on whether adding 50 MOA to the base changes the minimum parallax focal point? Thanks for the assistance.

As Maggie said, this scope may be an aberration, but as a general rule, I try to stay away from the very edge of the elevation adjustment range because most scopes out there start having a variety of issues.

If memory serves me right, TS-20x has around 30-32mrad of total adjsutment which is right around 100-110MOA. If everything lines up correctly, with a 50MOA slope, you are right at the hairy edge of the adjustment range and I would not recommend setting a scope up that way. Some scopes do OK there, but most start having optical issues of some sort. Now, what you are seeing is not typical. What I usually see is significant shift in parallax setting, a significant portion of the image going blurry (worse on low power than high power, significant distortion and tightening eye box.

ILya

Last edited:
Reactions: Pvt.Donut
As Maggie said, this scope may be an aberration, but as a general rule, I try to stay away from the very edge of the elevation adjustment range because most scopes out there start having a variety of issues.

If memory serves me right, TS-20x has around 30-32mrad of total adjsutment which is right around 100-110MOA. If everything lines up correctly, with a 50MOA slope, you are right at the hairy edge of the adjustment range and I would not recommend setting a scope up that way. Some scopes do OK there, but most start having optical issues of some sort. Now, what you are seeing is not typical. What I usually see is significant shift in parallax setting, a significant portion of the image going blurry (worse on low power than high power, significant distortion and tightening eye box.

ILya

I just ran it down to mechanical bottom after slipping back to zero and I have exactly 8 mils of travel to bottom stop. 8 mils left from 32 TOTAL range is, in your opinion, in the danger zone? I wonder what that range is across the board on scope brands. that would be an interesting test. either way it would be good data to publish so potential buyers know that the advertised range of movement isn't even remotely usable outside of mechanical middle.

Hey there,

thank you Maggie!

Stupid question but wouldn’t dialing the turret up ~30MOA achieve the same means? All your trying to do is get the reticle back to some semblance of center. Then you're not having to mess with zero.

correct but there's no zero stop so I had to be careful.

This has brought up some questions in my mind. Could you comment on whether adding 50 MOA to the base changes the minimum parallax focal point? Thanks for the assistance.
To answer your question, mounting the TS-20X on a rail/mount combo with 50 MOA down will not change the minimum parallax distance. It should continue to adjust for parallax as close a 10 yards. Like Ilya mentioned, manipulating a scope's erector to an extreme low or high may cause optical changes such as vignetting or distortion.

Reactions: db2000
I just ran it down to mechanical bottom after slipping back to zero and I have exactly 8 mils of travel to bottom stop. 8 mils left from 32 TOTAL range is, in your opinion, in the danger zone? I wonder what that range is across the board on scope brands. that would be an interesting test. either way it would be good data to publish so potential buyers know that the advertised range of movement isn't even remotely usable outside of mechanical middle.

8 mrad should not be within the danger zone, so I suspect there is something wrong with the scope.

This really varies from scope to scope, but I generally try to stay away from the outer 10-20% of the adjustment range. For this scope that would be be around 2-3 mrad.

ILya

8 mrad should not be within the danger zone, so I suspect there is something wrong with the scope.

This really varies from scope to scope, but I generally try to stay away from the outer 10-20% of the adjustment range. For this scope that would be be around 2-3 mrad.

ILya

so just some background why I choose to go so low in the range. This scope does not have a zero stop, it has a rev limit. Normally for a fast round this isn't an issue with a modest 20 or 30 minute cant. but I (maybe mistakingly) mounted this optic onto of my NRL22 rig and knew I needed more than 10 mils to get to 400 . my current DOPE shows 18.8 to get to 400. thats obviously more than 10 so I knew I was going to have an issue without the zero stop function and having to dial that high. I went 50 minutes on the mount/s b/c that would bottom me out far enough that now my mechanical stop on the bottom end is my zero stop. I just dial down to stop, which is 8 mils below my zero. its not fast but its functional and it should work . I could install the screw for the "zero stop" but that would limit me to 10 mils (1 rev) and I would have to hold 8 for a long shot, and Im not about that life.

UPDATE. USO stepped up big time and reached out to me directly from this post. They initiated a return authorization and sent me a prepaid UPS label. I shipped the scope back and the replaced it no questions asked. Solid Customer Service. Ill be mounting in the morning and have a practice session tomorrow afternoon and will get it zeroed back in at 50yrds.