• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Vector or 737r

1jonathan1994

Supporter
Supporter
Minuteman
Feb 21, 2018
Laurel, MS
I'm about to build my second gun. I have an Axiom with a switch lug now and love the 60 degree throw.

Vector vs 737r are very similar and the Vector just seems like the new kid on the block.
Both can take prefit barrels though I would torque both.
Main difference seems to be the Vector has a short throw and takes AW magazines.
Are AW magazines working in Vectors with no issues?
Quality wise and reliability for PRS are they similar?

Just went through a similar fact finding mission myself.

The Vector can have issues with aics mags in certain chassis combos. 737r is only able to run aics mags. It's very hard to find a lot bad about the 737r and its lower cost than most of its direct competitors while already being nitrided

Theres places and smith stocks pre reamed impact barrel...if youee doing a switch narrel without sending action..its a plus

Quality wise very similar. Top notch. I prefer the feel of the Vector to the impact though.

Do you want 60 or 90 degree throw? And do you want AW or AICS mags? Besides that they're both quality and will run.

Yep, it comes down to if you want 60 deg or not.

Reports on the aw cut impacts are pretty good so far. Little mag or mag catch modification needed, but runs aw mags pretty well.

Since you’ll be torquing them down, it literally comes down to 60deg throw.

If you are going to use aics mags, then it’s impact or axiom. The vector doesn’t mesh well with aics.

I've owned both. Sold the Vector and have 3 Impacts. Not to mention Tate and crew are the best in the business. Like others have said you can't use AICS mags with a vector. And even AW mags at least on a MPA you have to grind your mag catch. $1400 action you gotta break a dremel out for? No thanks.

The Impact is smoother and has a lighter bolt lift obviously as well. Fit and finish is top notch on both. Pre-fits for the Impact is also an awesome selling point. When my barrel gets too high in count for me to trust in a match I just switch to one of the other 2 sitting next to my bench in 3 minutes.

Reactions: B4Maz
I actually like the throw on my axiom. Though I have not tried anything else to know any better.
If bolt feel is the main difference then I'll go vector. None of the local Smith's do prefits. I have access to a pair of AW magazines cheap.
Got to have something more than bolt feel to go impact.

Sounds like you have your mind made up then. Not sure why you asked a question you already knew the answer to. Buy yourself a vector and enjoy. Just don’t try to run AI mags. And break out the dremel/file and get ready to hack on your chassis.

Reactions: bjay
If you push up on the mag while running the bolt you'll get a jam and the bolt wont be able to close. Unless they made some revision or something on later models to correct the over insertion issue.

I just run the MPA mag latch inserts. I can rest my rifle on the mag and she feeds fine.

True you can use/trust a 3D printed piece of plastic to prevent your mag from jamming your action. All good fixes. Just giving the OP my personal experience as I already went down this road and owned both. I ended up going with the action that works out of the box without 3D printing parts and breaking out a file/dremel.

I haven’t tried it yet, but will. Taking two small zip ties around the mag. Use the two latch parts to keep the mag from going too high. It’s ghetto, but might work.

I have an impact for .223 since the vector doesn’t play well with aics. But I’ll try it anyway for shits and giggles

And I'm glad you did because I got the Vector you sent back. lol. Actually made some aluminum inserts for my chassis after I got the MPA ones, but I get the point you are making. He can use the AW mags and be fine. I've got a couple AW mags running in mine as well, but I tend to use the AI because I like the option of running an extension.

Yea a 10 round mag is a deal breaker for me in PRS. Many stages need 12 and sometimes more. I'd rather have that time focusing on shots and watching the wind than changing mags.

OP, I know you said you don't care about "bolt feel" but a light bolt lift is a really nice feature for PRS. It disturbs the gun a lot less and keeps you on target better. It also takes less effort which, for me at least, keeps me more calm and relaxed in the middle of a stage to be smooth and methodical. I've used an axiom in matches when I first started because I like the idea of 60 degrees to run fast and keep my fingers away from the scope. I soon realized I can run a smooth 90 degree action faster and keep it on target better.

OP, I know you said you don't care about "bolt feel" but a light bolt lift is a really nice feature for PRS. It disturbs the gun a lot less and keeps you on target better. It also takes less effort which, for me at least, keeps me more calm and relaxed in the middle of a stage to be smooth and methodical. I've used an axiom in matches when I first started because I like the idea of 60 degrees to run fast and keep my fingers away from thek scope. I soon realized I can run a smooth 90 degree action faster and keep it on target better.

Now this is the kind of input I need to hear. I don't care how crude the bolt feels personally and I run my 60 degree axiom Ricky Bobby fast. That's all I do fast cause I rarely finish 8 out of 10 stages with my current skill level. That's why I'm not terribly worried about more than 10 rounds in AWs which apparently hold 11 or 12 if stuffed.
However I do notice that I have to get back on target after every shot even prone. I thought that was bad form and bad bipod loading on my part. I hit the bolt fast every time and shoot Creedmore. Next match will be with a dasher and I'll intentionally pay attention to how my bolt movement disturbs my sight picture both fast and slow.
Thanks.

Sounds like you have your mind made up then. Not sure why you asked a question you already knew the answer to. Buy yourself a vector and enjoy. Just don’t try to run AI mags. And break out the dremel/file and get ready to hack on your chassis.
I didn't know the Vector was high quality and reliability in the same class as the Impact - was one of the main reasons I was asking. I know the Impact is stupid reliable.
Now it seems the Vector is also reliable while using AWs. But not dssf magazines.
I thought stiff throw like my axiom was just a preference but you say a light throw has an accuracy advantage and I want to investigate that principle. That alone sounds like reason to get the Impact.

I have taken a dremel to brand new guns before even firing them. Don't bother me.

I'm fine with AICS or AW magazines. A friend has 2 AWs he can't use. Free or cheap for me and so easy to load.

My axiom and the Vector use the same bolt so each is a spare for the other.

Both actions are 20moa integral rail. Integral lug. And apparently very reliable each with their own magazine type.

I really need to shoot an impact.

The biggest difference, in terms of feel, between the two will be the bolt lift. The magazine function I can't speak to since I've never used a Vector for long enough to know, but I have played with the bolts of both of them.

The Impact Precision is 50% cock on open, and 50% cock on close (approximately). This, combined with the 90 degree throw instead of 60 degrees, means the bolt lift is SUPER light. I mean it's literally so light I can open mine comfortably using just my pinkie finger if I wanted to. The small trade off is that the bolt close is a little tighter, but it's nothing that's hugely noticeable.

The Vector is 100% cock on open and a 60 degree bolt throw. They're the best 60 degree bolt throw action out there, IMO, with the roller bearing cocking cams, but it's still noticeably heavier than any 90 degree action ever would be.

FWIW, I've used my Impact Precision with just about every popular magazine out there besides the AIAW and it just doesn't care what you use. I've got mine in an XLR chassis and generally will use ARC mags because the Impact feeds 6BR so nicely out of them with no spacer kit. I've also used AICS, Accurate Mags, and MDT magazines and none of them have every had feeding problems that weren't caused by me dropping the magazine into the dirt so that the follower stopped pushing properly.

Vector with AICS in a manners here, no issues.

Can you rest the rifle on the mag and it still cycles? Just curious.

J Allen chassis = no cycle
Cadex = cycles

Will find out about kmw sentinel in a week or two.

Can you rest the rifle on the mag and it still cycles? Just curious.

J Allen chassis = no cycle
Cadex = cycles

Will find out about kmw sentinel in a week or two.

Yes, resting rifle on magazine is no problem. I can push the mag into it with force and it still cycles. When forcefully pushing the mag it has more resistance but it does not jam.

Wild that with as much mods built into a j Allen for magazine seating it can’t be made to work??

Reactions: Redeye3
Yes, resting rifle on magazine is no problem. I can push the mag into it with force and it still cycles. When forcefully pushing the mag it has more resistance but it does not jam.

Wild that with as much mods built into a j Allen for magazine seating it can’t be made to work??

I haven’t messed with the tightness of the mag adjustment. So that might make it work. But I don’t think so. There’s nothing in the magwell that I can see that stops upward movement.

I haven’t messed with the tightness of the mag adjustment. So that might make it work. But I don’t think so. There’s nothing in the magwell that I can see that stops upward movement.

Is it an older j Allen? They have a YouTube video from 2018 showing a hex key adjustment behind the mag release to alter mag catch height and adjust mag depth and bolt clearance.

Last edited:
Is it an older j Allen? They have a YouTube video from 2018 showing a hex key adjustment behind the mag release to alter mag catch height and adjust mag depth and bolt clearance.

It’s the newer one. Problem isn’t with those adjustments, there’s nothing that keeps the mags from going up. Your manners has a lip or something that keeps the mag from going too high.

Reactions: DangerRanger
It’s the newer one. Problem isn’t with those adjustments, there’s nothing that keeps the mags from going up. Your manners has a lip or something that keeps the mag from going too high.

Hmm I’ll look tonight, it has Mesa M5 dbm I don’t remember A lip but not to say there isn’t one. Which would probably be great for people with these issues as it’s a cheap and available dbm option.

Update here’s the mag catch on Mesa m5 dbm
C9E3A7D1-6C20-4F8C-9058-06F714A7DD1A.jpeg

I see no other lips to retain the mag, mag doesn’t move enough to contact that upper ridge (.25” ish)

Mag contacts action at front of mag and limits upward movement
D7303F6B-0D5E-49C8-9B1D-87FBFE2F2197.jpeg

FB344EE2-7433-4D1C-8F8C-1857B6788DEB.jpeg

Reactions: Redeye3
Impact is hands down the nicest action available in my opinion and the customer service from Tate is second to none. The customer service from Curtis is well... do some checking around.