• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Range Report Velocity Drop With Muzzle Brake

kyle

Private
Minuteman
Aug 27, 2001
Fort Worth, TX
I just had a Badger FTE brake installed on my 24" .308. I really like the feel of the gun now. The brake has really tamed the "rifle hop" I was fighting previously. I was curious as to the velocity effect on my rounds. I'm running 155 Scenars and Lapua brass, 47.1 gr Varget, BR2 primers. Rounds loaded to 2.88 COAL. Here's the velocity data I had chrono'd prior to installing the brake.

56F 2910 fps
60F 2932 fps
69F 2960 fps

Yesterday, it was 79F. I clocked the same rounds @ 2792 fps with the brake installed.

I'm a little surprised at the drop in velocity, especially considering the ambient temperature. Does anyone have a feel if this is a reasonable drop in velocity? Thanks!

Re: Velocity Drop With Muzzle Brake

You need to check your chrono position (sun?) and/or battery.

+1 chrono or ammo issue not the brake unless it was installed wrong and hitting a vane, but you should know that right away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rijndael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You need to check your chrono position (sun?) and/or battery.</div></div>

I will reclock with a fresh battery. Clocked 51 rounds. All fell within normal spread.

I'd try alternating strings with and without the muzzle brake.

Never heard of or seen a Muzzlebrake affect Muzzle Velocity.

Would check the rounds through another chronograph or your first round velocities were suspect.

Back at the range today. Was not able to clock any rounds 'cause a herd of grazing cattle invaded the target area and shut me down. Prior to that, however, I was able to verify DOPE at 300Y and 600Y. My come ups are dead on (within 0.1 mil) of JBM assuming 2975 fps. Today was warm at 81F so the bullets may even be flying a few fps faster than that assumption.

Reagrdless, the data I collected earlier is obviously in error. I'm am really pleased with the performance of the FTE. Noise not an issue as I normally wear both earplugs and a headset.

If I had any $$$ layng around I'd go for a can but the FTE will work for now. Thanks to everyone for your comments.

kyle --- I have the FTE and run 46.3 varget, 210M, lapua casing, behind the 155 scenar. Velocities do very over the chrono with and without the brake but they do stay consistent. Variances are due to environmental and not the brake. Speeds are about the same my only difference is POI is 2moa low and 2 moa right when I take the brake off- but this is consistent down the entire range. My velocities are between 2980 and 3010 with or without the brake.