• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vertigo

• Thread starter Deleted member 10043
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 10043

I'm managed to go several decades without it but the first time it happened I thought this was the Big One. Inner ear shit. Scared the shit out of me. But I kept falling back on the bed until it sort of went away and then went to the doc. Lasted about a week or so. Still happens if I get up too fast first thing in the morning. Sucks. Imagine sitting still and feeling like your a decending and spinning but knowing you are sitting still. Fucking wild ass shit. Sort of like leaving the plane static line and twisting before the chute opens but without all the wind. Wild.

I get something like this when I'm really tired and finally fall asleep... I feel like I'm falling and start awake and try to grab something, heart racing. It's worse when I'm tired. I hear ringing (tea kettles actually) constantly from damaging the hairs in my ears (cilia) due to being too close to big explosions. 15+ years and it's still as bad as it was when I got out.

If you don't have a good cane, you should probably get one. I'm not a doctor, but I think they have things to help with vertigo. You also may wanna get it checked out... Don't want to be the downer here but do know it can be a symptom of brain cancer. Which I doubt you have but may wanna rule out anyway. They'll probably have to do a scan to see what's going on anyway, right?

I hope you get to feeling better, that sucks. Getting older just sucks in general and all that hard stuff we did to our bodies catches up to us. I learned this the hard way.

this shit hit me last april. scared the shit out of me. at first, i thought it was the flu. i was laying in bed, just woke up, and started to stretch when it hit me. it hit HARD. i couldnt so much as even crawl without falling over, i vomited for a day and a half. day 1 was horrible. day 2 was not much better, day 3, i could get up with much assistance and made it to the dr. holy shit, i was terrified it was a tumor or something. it was without question, the most debilitating thing i have ever experienced. 100% helpless INSTANTLY.

once you find out wtf is going on, it helps so you dont worry, but ya cant help but wonder if it is the new normal or if it will go away. mine went away after about 3 months. then one day, it came back. nowhere near as brutal as the first time, but when it hits me, i freeze and let my brain settle it. the last few days it's been more sensitive than usual, so i certainly feel what you are going through.

there are many videos on youtube that offer suggestions as to physical therapy you can do, and when i did that stuff before, one of them seemed to do the trick. i havent tried them lately because i am functional, and am afraid if i do the wrong thing, it could put me out of commission again for GOD knows how long. i also notice that changing the distance of my visual focus triggers it, not just head movements.

in dealing with this, i've been really surprised at how common it is. more people deal with it than you know. try the youtube videos, and drink a shit ton of water....super hydrate for the weekend. pee until you are tired of peeing. then drink more water...it helps build the fluid in your inner ear and eventually helps the situation...or at least seemed to with me.

My brother suffers from vertigo.
He's had it for years and it affects his daily life.
Being home alone or worse driving a car by himself can be very dangerous.
One of the things that has given him some relief is an ear draining procedure

and i'll add that being a paratrooper, not much of anything takes me out of commision. this is the one time in my life i was T-H-R-mothafuckin'-U, THRU! bad deal, and while it didnt go away, it did get to be very managable. if you ask me, i think my brain re-calibrated to what is going on in there, i really do not think the problem went away. that is my theory anyway.

Go see the DOC, there is some medications for this they can prescribe. Also some of the sea sick meds can help that you get across the counter. I have this and it starts at about 60. It is the little hairs in your ear that work as a Gyro, they get calcium build up on them and they have trouble keeping everything on an even Keel. there is also some therophy that can be practiced to help. I finally went on small dosage of bloop pressure meds and it has helped. I kind of miss the drunk staggers for the fist 4 or 5 hours I am up in the morning.

OP, if it's what I think it is, it's called orthostatic hypotension, and what it means is low blood pressure upon a sudden change of elevation of the head in relation to the elevation of the heart.

It's symptomatic of what might be the start of some wicked shit. Get checked out ASAP.

My nephew has it and he is only 30 yrs old. He is getting better now after some doctor waved a chicken leg over him.

PPV, paroxysmal positional vertigo. otolith separation and obstruction of the semicircular canals in the inner ear. Doo-hicky that works to orient your awareness of changed body position. ENT doc can diagnose and show maneuvers to counteract. I had it a few years ago. Got up from the recliner and was "thrown" twilight-zone style onto the coffee-table/floor. Eventually (weeks) mostly resolves.

http://american-hearing.org/disorders/benign-paroxysmal-positional-vertigobppv/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10792/

Last edited:
If it were me the first time driving came up in discussion with the Dr I would clearly state that I do not drive and a family member takes me everywhere. Many states require doctors to report things like this and then revoke your DL. Of course you should not drive until this is resolved, but after you get it resolved why would you want your next item of business be taking a drivers test.

Seems to be more prevalent these days. There are a couple of guys and gals I work with that suffer from this. I was never aware of anyone experiencing it previously. Like Veer said, tanking blood pressure from cardiovascular issues would cause some
similar symptoms. Get to the doc!

Last edited:
PPV, paroxysmal positional vertigo. otolith separation and obstruction of the semicircular canals in the inner ear. Doo-hicky that works to orient your awareness of changed body position. ENT doc can diagnose and show maneuvers to counteract. I had it a few years ago. Got up from the recliner and was "thrown" twilight-zone style onto the coffee-table/floor. Eventually (weeks) mostly resolves.

http://american-hearing.org/disorder...l-vertigobppv/

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK10792/

This is what the doc told me. Debris in the inner ear fluid. Doing the same thing until it goes away like falling from a sitting position back on the bed until it stops was actually an aggressive form of exercise unbeknownst to me. She said it should subside over several days or weeks. I know I had it today. But it is down to feeling a little nauseated. I'm taking a real vintage OTC antihistamine that helps with that. The day before it hit I listened to a new Steve Winwood live double CD set like at 95 decibels. Doc told me to stop doing dumb shit like that. Especially, when fighting what appears to be a cold virus. I'm an old audiophile with sensitive equipment. Winwood's fuckin organ kicked my ass I guess and when I jerked my head just right the next morning set it off. Right now if I listen to music at 85 decibals and the notes get high enough it will aggrevate it. Anyway, since it is subsiding like the doc said I feel a little better about it. I have a follow-up appointment.

Last edited by a moderator:
That sounds pretty unsettling. Is it anything like being drunk to the point the room spins?

Sort of like that but with no sense of time or space. It will scare the shit out of you. It fucks you up so bad that even after it subsides your eyes are mini-dartng around as you get back on an even keel. Gravity is a real thing and that is no shit, lol. Your brain needs to know how you are oriented and your inner ear plays a major role in that.

Damn.. I always thought vertigo was that weird feeling i got when i was on a ladder and looked straight down or up. Kinda weak in the knees and disoriented. That shit sounds awful.

What you describe is mild vertigo. Even mild vertigo will induce fear.

I certainly hope you get better.

We we used to demonstrate it to young fellas by having them sit in an office chair with their eyes closed. Give them a few brisk spins and while keeping their eyes closed, have them tell you when they have stopped spinning. Messes up your inner ear (gyros tumbled).

Thanks, man! Lol. I guess astronauts are special!

I certainly hope you get better.

We we used to demonstrate it to young fellas by having them sit in an office chair with their eyes closed. Give them a few brisk spins and while keeping their eyes closed, have them tell you when they have stopped spinning. Messes up your inner ear (gyros tumbled).

That's interesting. When I was younger I had a lot of fun spinning around. Those toys where you sit on a platform and turn a stationary wheel, swings, whatever. I'd always try to power through the dizziness and was pretty good at it. Still am, kinda. Is that the type of therapy y'all are looking at?

I haven't tried in decades, but the game where you spin on a bat and hit a baseball off a tee used to be easy for me.

Culpeper I always wanted to try one of those G swings the astronauts train in! I guarantee I would not puke out black out.

Last edited:
Therapy is supposed to be a little more mild. I have been sort of just repeating the motion that started it until it stops. It is to the point that most days are fine and like yesterday it felt like mild sea sickness. I guess I should feel fortunate. I've spoke with some people that got it so bad that they had to crawl to the toilet to throw up and ended up in bed for a few days. I was able to just rock on with some initial high anxiety, lol.

There are several causes of vertigo, but the most common appears to be an inner ear infection. There are many ways of boosting one's overall resistance to disease, and these often work well in cases of vertigo.

Culpepper: +1 on Stevie Winwood. Been a fan of his since his days with Spencer Davis when I was a kid. Plan on being in Roswell this weekend for the mid-range F Class match.

My wife has vertigo and the the initial episode was so severe that took her to the ER and did all kinds of scans. Fortunately, we have a good ENT in our area who treated her. ENT does not like using meds and prefers therapies that force the brain to readjust. Still has small episodes on occasion but can manage them..

I shoot the 1.5 moa sillihoute match on the next range over to the right. Good luck at your match and hope your wife keeps improving. We're going to make improvements to the F class range because the big matches have been such a success.

Culpeper: Thanks for the good wishes. I know exactly where you shoot. Speak to LJ on a regular basis and shoot with him in Capitan as well as the Berger SW Nationals in Phoenix. The 600 yard match is getting good attendance and they are making improvements to the pit area and firing line. Supposed to be very windy on Saturday and if so may skip this month and spend the time preparing for Phoenix. Live south of LC and about a three and half hour trip to Roswell.

That sounds like it sucks Culpeper . Only time I get that feeling is after waaay
too much alcohol , shortly followed by a crawl to the shitter for a technicolor
yawn ... Keep up the recommended physio , and read as much as you can
about treatment , diet etc .