• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vibram five finger shoes

Re: Vibram five finger shoes

Well I think I'm ready to get a pair but I'm pretty overwhelmed at the large selection offered. I plan on wearing them for body weight or cross-fit style exercising. Any recommendations?

Jacob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jacob J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I think I'm ready to get a pair but I'm pretty overwhelmed at the large selection offered. I plan on wearing them for body weight or cross-fit style exercising. Any recommendations?

Jacob</div></div>

I was in the same exact situation as you last month. After reading tons of stuff on line I finally bit the bullet and am super happy with the KSO's.

Start with the KSO's.

I bought a pair of Bikila LS. I am excited to recieve them and start wearing them. I tried them on at the store and they are really comfortable.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jacob J</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well I think I'm ready to get a pair but I'm pretty overwhelmed at the large selection offered. I plan on wearing them for body weight or cross-fit style exercising. Any recommendations?

Jacob </div></div>
It really depends on your build. I am 6' 230ish and I run and workout in mine 5 fingers. At first I had the KSO and I loved them but running I couldnt push much past 3-4 miles with out my toes getting jacked up. I recently got a pair of the KomodoSport they are awesome for running and everything else you can throw at them. Totally your call but take a look at the Komodosports... and remember just like everyone said take it slow at first!

I really like mine. I have two pair but I do not run hard or far in them. I'm 250lbs and do pt everyday.I have a rod from knee to ankle in one leg and full ACL/MCL in the other and the impact from running in them kills my legs. I do light workouts in them but I need cushion in my shoes on hard stuff.

I'm a believer too! Been training for a Tri and couldn't get past my knee and hips being sore all the time.

My chiro suggested "good form and barefoot" running techniques to help with the pain. With the VFF, all pain has gone away and I've added more miles per day, roughly 6.

Also have the New Balance Minimus shoes, they're just as good, I rotate the 2 every run.

i own a pair of bikila LS, had them about a month

it was taking me forever to put them on and my pinky toe still doesn't always go in correctly and rubs...

I also bought a pair of these: http://www.inov-8.com/Products-Detail.asp?PG=PG1&L=27&P=5050973021

i will probably stick with the the inov-8's in the future. in the long run i believe the shoe will last longer.. just my opinion

I couldn't go with the VFF. I don't care what you look like or put on your feet but I'm not puting those gay ass rainbow parade things one mine(/sarc). I ended up with the New Balance Minimus and I couldn't be happier.

And if anyone is still doubting the barefoot/ minimalist footwear thing pick up a copy of <span style="text-decoration: underline">Born To Run</span> by Christopher McDougall. It realy talks a lot about running injuries and the advent of the "modern" running shoe. If you are already into barefoot/minimalist and you haven't read it, do it now. Not only does it cover the above but it is a pretty good read and its motivating.

They do have brown suede and black suede ones, for those who give a crap about what people think.
smile.gif

i have a wide foot does anyone know if they make them in wide configurations? I didnt see that option on the sizing chart on their site.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: viper4 8541</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i have a wide foot does anyone know if they make them in wide configurations? I didnt see that option on the sizing chart on their site. </div></div>

Five Fingers FAQ's
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Do you make widths?
Most Vibram FiveFingers footwear features a stretch fabric upper that accommodates most medium and wide widths (up to eee) comfortably.
</div></div>

Just some advice from someone whose put in over 10,000 miles of running in my 24 years on this earth.

I'm sure it was said earlier in this thread but take it sloooow at first. There may be something to this minimalist movement but it is something very different for your body and overdoing it will very easily lead to injury.

Muscular and tendon injuries are annoying but stress fractures (which I've seen quite a few of from people who choose these and other minimally cushioned shoes) will put you out for much longer.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tweedle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just some advice from someone whose put in over 10,000 miles of running in my 24 years on this earth.

I'm sure it was said earlier in this thread but take it sloooow at first. There may be something to this minimalist movement but it is something very different for your body and overdoing it will very easily lead to injury.

Muscular and tendon injuries are annoying but stress fractures (which I've seen quite a few of from people who choose these and other minimally cushioned shoes) will put you out for much longer. </div></div>

So you've ran at least 9 miles a day, for 3 years straight? LOL I run, alot, but not as much as you claim to. Good advice though. I've integrated VFFs into my running routine since I got them in January but still only use them 50% of the time or less. Had lower back/hip problems when I first started using them alot(of course it was a compound injury from snowboarding). I just saw a pair intended to be used in the winter, so I'll most likely be picking up a pair of them soon. I don't run on concrete with my five fingers and prefer dirt roads. Sure sucks hitting pointy rocks though and it's hard to keep small pebbles out of my VFFs....

Not quite, more like over 10 years competing in middle school, high school, college for Track/Cross Country and now just to stay in shape.

I don't care to spend any more time with ice baths, stim. machines and x-ray/MRI machines so I'll stick to my fully cushioned shoes : ) when the mood strikes me for a run.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tweedle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not quite, more like over 10 years competing in middle school, high school, college for Track/Cross Country and now just to stay in shape.

I don't care to spend any more time with ice baths, stim. machines and x-ray/MRI machines so I'll stick to my fully cushioned shoes : ) when the mood strikes me for a run. </div></div>

The difference between you and us mortals is that you have probably been taught proper running form over what mortals have done because cushioned shoes have allowed them to heel strike. You can get stress fractures just as easily running in cushioned shoes as you can in minimalist shoes if you heel strike.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jong</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tweedle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not quite, more like over 10 years competing in middle school, high school, college for Track/Cross Country and now just to stay in shape.

I don't care to spend any more time with ice baths, stim. machines and x-ray/MRI machines so I'll stick to my fully cushioned shoes : ) when the mood strikes me for a run. </div></div>

The difference between you and us mortals is that you have probably been taught proper running form over what mortals have done because cushioned shoes have allowed them to heel strike. You can get stress fractures just as easily running in cushioned shoes as you can in minimalist shoes if you heel strike. </div></div>

Should have elaborated a little more. You make a very good point, and the golden rule with running no matter how you choose to go about it is to build up your tolerance very gradually. Too much, too soon = injury no matter your footwear.

(and all my stress fracture experience is in my metatarsal/sesamoid area, even with training with proper from and not heal striking, over training will get ya
frown.gif
.)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: PaleRider77</div><div class="ubbcode-body">i've also heard they make a pair intended for lifting. has anyone tried them? </div></div>
I've been using them for over a year now and love them. I also like Merrel's open toe version too. I haven't seen a pair of Vibrams that are specific to lifting but I have found that the originals are great for Deadlifts, Squats, and presses. I typically will bust out my Olympic lifting shoes when I'm doing heavy cleans, jerks, or snatches, but I I've done the Oly lifts in both my Merrels and Vibrams very comfortably. Another really good shoe for OLY lifts that have a flexible toe is the Adidas brand and Reebok just came out with a good shoe too. The Adidas can be bought from Rogue Fitness for about $95.

Is anyone else like me, in taht I usually go barefoot everywhere?

I have found it's better on my back than wearing shoes...so I wear shoes to work and flip flops in stores and then back to bare feet...

I've been doing this for several years now, probably because of time spent in the dojo..

lately i've been using a pair of wrestling shoes for deadlift and squat days, but i feel like i need more stability in the ankle on heavy days

thanks that was what the wife said, wasen't shure. im thinking on getting us both a set. thanks

Tell the bitchers that their shoes are ruining their feet and backs, and see if they still want to talk.
smile.gif

they are diffrent looking for sure. but its function. im going to buy a pair this week end for me and the wife after reading up on them.

I'm an avid/almost daily runner, with past and future marathons (finishes - no chance of Boston Qualifying!). I was very skeptical of the whole minnimalist movement when it started taking form years ago. I figured 'back to nautre' running was good for people who were collecting roots and sprinting after the occassional rabbit. But in a land of asphalt, concrete, and broken glass, I figured man 'evolved' brains to build shoes with cushion and support.
That said, I have been reducing the support level of my shoe choices, and getting better results. I know simpler shoes weigh less, and when the miles add up, every ounce you save in shoes and body, equals tons of impact stress spared. I haven't tried VFF or minimalist shoes, yet. But the cause is growing. I may rotate them into my shoe stable for short runs at first.
Is it ironic though that the 'minnimalist' shoe - advertising that they have far less material - costs as much or more than a shoe with lots of cush and material?
How much will bare feet cost in a few years?
wink.gif

They are great shoes. I ran in college (1.53: 800m and 4.10 mile) and after long runs and track workouts we ran in the grass barefoot. These shoes simulate that but with a little more protection. They work very well in building those small stabilizing muscles in your lower legs. Like other people have said, build up your usage in them. Overuse injuries can occur especially if you are running on pavement! Running in grass with them is also another tip to support using them and promote stabilizing muscle growth.

we'll i just bought them im going to try them out tommarow.

my wife and i both have a pair of the KSO's, man i swear by em they are amazing. i wear them for everything you could imagine, awesome shoes

I'm finally up to running a couple miles a run. This is taking quite some time, but I haven't had any problems other then sore calves.

I have a pair of the merril trail gloves and I hate to wear normal shoes now. I love using them for squats. It alleviates the ball of the foot squat which is terrible for your knees.

I still can't run in them though. Not enough cushion for me.

I went through 3 pairs of them after they continued to rip, I had the KSOs, I was using them to do met-cons but just decided to stick to chuck taylors for met cons and my O-lift shoes for lifting in.

I've been using VFFs for over two years now for trail running, crossfit, shooting matches and lifting and I love them. They kept me from having to endure painful and risky surgery for plantar fasciitis and heel spurs.

I have two pairs of these to sell, both size 42M. One is the Komodo and the other is the KSO Trek in black leather. Both have been worn a few times but are just too big, even with Injinji socks:(

PM for details if interested.

hi does any one know if the toes are longer in the vibrams than the cheep ones dicks sells? my wife got me a pair from dicks and the one size is good all around but in the toes, and the next size up is good in the toes but seem loose around the top of the foot. i dont have any one local that sells the vibram so i cant try them out to see for my self.

Go to the vibram website and it describes how to measure your foot. I love mine (have KSOs and the KSO treks). You are able to stretch them to accommodate longer toes if the profile does not match your foot. The first pair I bought were 42s, which fit my big toe great, but my little toe did not even enter the pocket. I got a pair of 40s and am stretching the big toe with tension and a heat gun, and they are working out great now...

Vibram's Five Fingers are something else; you'll notice that over the past 30 months, they went from being a simple pair boating/creek crossing shoes to the leader in gym apparel. Imitators and innovators all over have reproduced or improved upon them, but one thing remains the same; they are great for stabilization.

Take a step back, now, and look at the other options out there. Merrell and New Balance, among the most popular, have created minimalist shoes, as well, but they maintain the shoe-like appearance minus the sole. These are also great for stabilization but you can give them to your average runner and see little change at first (good or bad) which is a good sign. With the Five Fingers, an average runner will make it to the 1-mile mark, maybe a little more, and then complain of all kinds of problems ranging from hot-spots and sore calves to knotted quadriceps and hammer-toe-like feelings. With the minimalist shoes, you're looking at running a standard 5-miler with no changes; however, you might notice that where you once had knee, back, or ankle twisting problems, now you have none. Of course, over time and following a modestly scheduled "break-in" period if these are your first non-typical running shoe, you will notice that you will be able to do anything in any of these minimalist shoes and really push yourself further than with those clunky old-style things.

All types of minimalist foot gear are easy to wash and I recommend doing so every three or four days. Put the pair(s) in a mesh bag and you should have no problems with other clothes or with the material on the shoes being destroyed.

Not to discredit the Five Fingers, they are great in the gym and on the sprint track, I personally have 3 pairs for mountain climbing, running, and SEAL fit, just do your research and find what's right for you before you spend $100+ on each of these pairs of shoes.

I have some vff's, and merrell barefoot and love them both. Typically I use the vff'@ more casually or as a water shoe though.

In general does everyones experience lead them to believe that individual toes vs a more conventional shoe form makes a difference? I can understand the concept of promoting a better foot strike and am correcting my own evil heel strike with chi running but also dealing with another problem.

Im about 12mm short on one leg and wear a 9mm lift to try to correct my pelvic tilt, can the shoes accomadate the lift? Anyone with enough expertise to suggest the lift would not be needed if I was using any of the minimalist shoes? Thanks guys this has been a wealth of information.

The only negative I have seen was last week in a race on a Volcano in Hawaii, a couple guys in the VFF could not finish, both complained the rocks were just to nasty and the forefoot pain was just to much. I know I had a new pair of running shoes missing chunks from the bottom after a 10k race.

There is a great article about running barefoot or with minimalist shoes (like the VFF with no padding):
The Once and Future Way to Run

To summarize:
Pavement is not any harder than the Savannah humans used to run on.
People with chronic running injuries stopped getting injured once they got rid of padded shoes.
People who were told by their doctors they could never run again without injury are able to run again.
People who switched increased their speed.
People rarely had running injuries before the padded shoe was invented, now running injuries are extremely common.

The key though was not to just switch shoes, but to learn how to run again properly, by landing on the ball of the foot and gliding instead of slamming onto the heel.

I have Vibrams. My main complaint about them is that they are way too cold to wear for much of the year. They do get a lot of stares and kids love them.

I just picked up a pair and went on a short run with them yesterday. I'm hoping they will help with my big toe injury that reoccurs every so often.

I picked up a pair a while ago. They aren't good for walking in mud or even grass with weeds (dandelions between the toes). They are awesome for everything else. I had some nagging tendinitis in my foot and it is gone since I switched to wearing the vibrams for the bulk of my long walks. I wear them whenever I can and my knees and feet feel much better.

I'm still working on getting used to running in them. It's hard to break old habits.

I have wide feet and some half webbed toes and they still fit fine which I did not expect.

BEST SHOES EVER!
I run daily pretty much because of these shoes.
But I've become more of a completely barefoot runner as well.

Warning though. Start off slow wearing these. Completely different set of muscle groups and you will feel it the first week or so.

I bought mine and began running immediately. I only run on dirt or grass. The thought that manipulating how a joint works to lessen injury is silly. Shoe padding does this. Use it like God made it.

I've been running in mine for about 8 months now, and I love them. I typically run about 10-15 miles a week on concrete and asphalt, and could not be more pleased. I was encountering serious ankle and knee pain before I started using them, and now I have none, so I consider them the best footwear I've ever purchased. I suspect the VFFs eliminated pain by forcing me to run on my toes, always challenging with my flat feet.