• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 Mildot Rifle Scope

RodgerC

Private
Minuteman
Mar 21, 2011
Ohio
Ok everyone, I'm new here and this is my first post. I have a Savage FP10 rifle and wanted to get into long range shooting, so I bought this Vortex scope for it. Today I went to the 100 yard rifle range to sight it in. Now, understand I'm not a great shot, but competent, and spent 36 years in the military and I am familiar with firearms. I have sighted rifles in before and normally within 3-4 shots am in the black. Today after boresighting and shooting 6-8 rounds and nothing anywhere near the target, I asked a couple of very experienced bench rest shooters beside me to help me out. After 18 rounds we gave up and I took my SWFA Tasco SS 10x40 scope off of my Savage .223 and put it on my FP10. The first shot was 1 o'clock in the black. This Vortex scope is a TOTAL PIECE OF CRAP. I'll take it back to the gunshop where I purchased it but I know I won't get my money back and they'll tell me to send it back. Problem is I don't want another Vortex scope. They are junk. Unfortunately I learned the lesson the hard way and it's going to cost me $230. Anyone else had one of these and if so what was your experience. Thanks.

Re: Vortex Crossfire 6-24x50 Mildot Rifle Scope

I'd send it back to Vortex, and mount the new one on a 22 rifle. I have the same scope on a .308 and never had any problems with it. I know its not a high end scope but its working until I get the cash saved up to upgrade. But that's just what I would do.

I have used one and cannot recommend them for anything over a 22. The Vortex Viper line is nice but do not expect much out of it. The Vortex Viper PSTs are really nice and for the price they are great scopes.

I'm sorry to hear about your frustration. I know you did not get it from us but if I can be of help feel free to ask.

Mike @ CST

vortex viper line can handle 308 all day. the crossfire line is the bottom end line that some use on higher power rifles and others don't. I have PSTs, Vipers, a crossfire and a HD. The crossfire is on a .22 but the rest are on 6.8 or better for hundreds of rounds without an issue

You can send your crossfire back to vortex, they have a no questions asked lifetime warranty.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'll send it back to Vortex, but I just can't see putting a 6-24x50 scope on a rifle that I'm only going to use at the most 100 yards. A little overkill. Definately will get me a better scope for my .308. Any suggestions for a medium priced scope for my .308?

I wouldn't judge Vortex purely based on their inexpensive line of scopes. Send it back and they will certainly replace it. I had a regular Viper that lived on my 7mm for 800ish rounds without a single issue. Always tracked and always returned to zero.

As far as another scope; you've had good luck with the Super Sniper so why not another?

Mine was DOA as well. I put it on a CZ 17HMR, and it gave me fits. It was all over the place. I sent it back to Vortex who straight out told me a screw came loose, and the POA was shifting all over the place. They offered to replace it with a different scope (not Crossfire). They gave me three or four options which fit the bill. They gave me a generous credit towards a different scope. I went with a 4.5-14 Viper, and am very happy. Remember, this is a new company, with new vendors/factories building their equipment to spec. Shit WILL go wrong, but they will handle it. If this business model does not fit, buy from a brand that manufactures everything themselves.

call vortex directly and voice your problems. I have heard a lot of stories that they offer upgrades at little or no charge to thier higher lines. I have never had a problem with any of my vortex, although they are all vipers. Never owned the crossfire or diamondback lines. Talk to them and I am sure they will make it right.

I think if your gun shop won't take it back, an upgrade might be your best bet. Unfortunately for you, SWFA sells these with the 1" tube for $99 and so therefore the resale value of any of 6-24x50 models isn't really much more than that. I'd expect to get $100 max out of it if they send you another one and you try to sell it.

I'm also not sure why Vortex feels the need to produce the Crossfire line. I understand they want something reasonably priced to offer, but imo having scopes like this just hurt their overall reputation.

Hey thanks for the advice guys. Maybe I'm out of place to harshly criticize them. I was just so frustrated with trying to get my rifle dialed in after 18 rounds and not even close. I've emailed them and I'll send it back and see what happens. They deserve at least a second chance, then if it doesn't work out I'll go for something else. Any of you all that shoot long range, (500 - 1000 yds) do you use fixed or variable range scopes. My vision is not what it used to be and getting worse so thats why I chose the 6-24x50 scope. I'm retired and can't afford a $500 or more expensive scope. Thanks for the help all.

Mine broke within minutes of use as well. I think Vortex is a great company, but this particular model is pretty bad.

The crossfire series is a cheap chinese made scope.
It is overpriced for what you get, you would have been better off with a centerpoint scope from wally world.

Vortex WILL take care of you, perhaps you can ask them to send you a model more suitable to your .22 or upgrade for a small price to the standard viper 6-24. They seem to have a decent reputation.

Honestly I love my vortex viper and think it's very solid. The reason your scope failed is because you got their cheap line of products and to be honest that's the biggest downfall of ANY cheap scope. The inconsistency of quality. U can get a tasco that will last a lifetime but that means u got 1 of 10 where 5 of them lasted a couple years and four broke after a coupletimes. Luckily u chose the right brand of cheap scopes. Vortex stands behind their byproduct and keep exchanging until you get the winner product. Otherwise shell out 200 more for their viper line and forget about the headaches.

They are a decent scope if you confine to a .22lr. I have now broken 2 on a 3006 Ackley. The AO broke on the 1st after 115 rounds, Which Vortex replaced and had a new one in my hands within 5 days of returning it. Pretty sure I injured the replacement yesterday at a Practice day as the windage had a MAJOR shift in impact points when that turret had never been touched since zeroing. I do have another on a 1022 that is working great. $100 scopes are just that. I will be replacing it with the new Weaver Tactical glass Weaver Scope in the next month or so as funds allow. I know from other shooters that the better line of Vortex products are pretty good.

Going to send it back this week. See what they say, and give it another try. Guess I'll put the new one on my Savage Mark II.

In my opinion, if the gun store doesn't take it back after the first range session with it, shame on them. And that SWFA scope, NOT made by Tasco.

Call Vortex and ask for an upgrade to a better model scope from their line. I had issues with a couple of the Crossfires as well and they alowed me to upgrade to the Vortex line for an additional $100.

Ask for and upgrade. Also point them to this forum. The Crossfires are not a good scope. They should drop the line. Their vipers are ok, however, their PST line is a step up from the vipers.

John

I have multiple Vortex optics throughout their PST, Viper, and Crossfire line. The PST's and Vipers are excellent scopes! The Crossfires are a budget line of scopes that have known quality issues. It's unfortunate, but it is the nature of the budget scopes. My Crossfires reside on my .22LR's and so far have been problem free. Fortunately, Vortex have the best CS in the industry and will get you squared away. I know you said your budget was limited to ~$500, but strongly consider saving up an extra $250 and stepping into the PST line if you can.

Ok, I just got my Vortex Scope back and this is what they said.
"Checked and impact tested. All functions are normal and in good working order. Tightened turret tension. Cleaned and purged scope. Scope was received with diopter all the way out. Please see manual for correct use of diopter." First of all there is a reason for the diopter being all the way out. I have problems with my eyes. One eye is very near sighted, the other is very far sighted. I don't believe the diopter whether it is all the way in or out has anything to do with not being able to sight the scope in. I don't believe anything they did will change the outcome but I'll try it again tomorrow at the range. Hoping not to use another full box of ammo trying to sight this in tomorrow. This time I'll try it on my Savage .223.

Hmm, let us know how it goes this time. Hopefully, it works out for you.

The thing with the eye focus out all the way is there isn't enough threads left to stabilize it. Run it all the way out again and push it from side to side while looking through the scope. You will see the cross hairs move all over the place.