• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Vortex Diamondback 4-14x40 AO vs Non AO

murtaughf3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 4, 2012
Abilene Tx
Just curios if the AO is worth the extra $90. Will be going on a completly stock Savage Model 11 in .243. Will mostly be used for hunting and paper out to 200(hope to find a 500 yrd range soon). I am on a budget. So for the time being will this be a good option? I was also looking at a couple different Nikons but like the Vortex more.

Re: Vortex Diamondback 4-14x40 AO vs Non AO

I will say yes, you may be shooting 200 now, but if you plan to take that rifle to further distances, the AO will allow you to reduce parallax.

As for budget, I suggest you purchase the highest quality scope you can afford. If you are on a budget it is best to make every dollar count. If you rush, you will get a scope on your rifle, but it may only frustrate you when you are at the range or in the field.

The Diamondback is a decent scope and is made in the same place and carries the same warranty as the viper, but the Viper has the side adjustment and a step up in glass quality.

Leupold, Redfield, Vortex all have nice scopes for those on a budget. The great thing is if you purchase one second hand it still has a lifetime replacement.

Keep an eye on the SWFA sample list, they will sell demos and buyback scopes at greatly reduced cost. http://www.samplelist.com/ViewProducts.aspx

Also for Nikon there is a promo going on their BDC scopes. http://www.nikonpromo.com/assets/bdc/bdc_days_web_form.pdf

I have owned a few Nikons, they have nice glass, but I have moved on. Never was a fan of their tight eyebox.