• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x

Hopefully 1201am April 1! Lol But anytime is good as April is right around the corner.

In stock? These are shipping?

No idea - didn’t order. Optics Planet has been quick to ship items that I have ordered in the past, granted, they have never shipped me an optic.

Jason at EuroOptic gets my business more often than not, and I haven’t even called to get on the backlog list.

i got the last mrad from AA optics the day they showed on their facebook page. had a buddy send me the link. scope showed up two days later. its pretty sweet. now to decide what to put it on.
89740455_10158122800109588_5490673216110198784_n.jpg

Attachments

• 89867354_10158121670109588_4930291910829932544_n.jpg
    89867354_10158121670109588_4930291910829932544_n.jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 79
Reactions: Sabre672
when did you order BlackHalo? I placed my order Jan 12. I wouldn't be upset to get it soon, but I understood they wouldn't be arriving en masse until April - and with the COVID mess going on now a delay wouldn't be unexpected.

I went with the Geiselle fde standard cantilever mount. No moa, even thou I requested 20. It took about a month to show up.

I had to call and straighten out my order. They charged my card, no email, nothing. Called them and they said “we Don’t have any record of your purchase”. They had to back track it through they cc system. I did have a 30% off coupon code from a member here that went to shot show. So the hassle was worth the $100 off I received. After the Black Friday debacle, I’ve heard people still haven’t received their orders???....

Makes you wonder why a company like geiselle can’t pull it together?

when did you order BlackHalo? I placed my order Jan 12. I wouldn't be upset to get it soon, but I understood they wouldn't be arriving en masse until April - and with the COVID mess going on now a delay wouldn't be unexpected.

January 10th. Yeah, looks like they are slowly trickling in.

Folks,

I got word this weekend that "our" scopes will begin shipping out April 16. As late-April was the always stated ship time, this shouldn't cause anybody any heartburn, other than the side effects of unrestrained eagerness....which I totally understand. :sneaky:

And yes, it was first come first served and that is the order in which they will ship out.

Thanks as always for the faith my friends.

Scott

Is there a place I can still pre-order for $1700-$1800 out the door?

@koshkin

Question pertaining to optic optimization.

I’m looking at the Vortex and wondering if a purpose built medium range optic (SWFA 3-9, 3-12 LHRS) with an offset RMR would be better than the Vortex. Just wondering how I can optimize weight and overall capability.

SWFA: 19oz + (RMR + RMR Mount): 2oz = 21oz
Vortex G3: 21.5oz
- either optic mounted in a 1.93” Scalarworks mount

The Vortex is definitely the sexier option, but at the end of the day, I want to optimize performance from 0-600 yards. Have you found any compromises in the Vortex that is solved with a “traditional” optic?

Basically, what are your or anyone else’s thoughts on the Vortex G3 vs. An SWFA 3-9 (or similar) with RMR?

@koshkin

Question pertaining to optic optimization.

I’m looking at the Vortex and wondering if a purpose built medium range optic (SWFA 3-9, 3-12 LHRS) with an offset RMR would be better than the Vortex. Just wondering how I can optimize weight and overall capability.

SWFA: 19oz + (RMR + RMR Mount): 2oz = 21oz
Vortex G3: 21.5oz
- either optic mounted in a 1.93” Scalarworks mount

The Vortex is definitely the sexier option, but at the end of the day, I want to optimize performance from 0-600 yards. Have you found any compromises in the Vortex that is solved with a “traditional” optic?

Basically, what are your or anyone else’s thoughts on the Vortex G3 vs. An SWFA 3-9 (or similar) with RMR?

SWFA 3-9x42 with an offset red dot will certainly be more cost effective. If you plan to spend a lot of time above 6x in low light, this is a very good option.

I actually use the settings between 1x and 4x a lot. On high magnification and in low light any 24mm scope is not optimal and the Razor is no exception. That is solved with a traditional optic.

Aside from that, Gen 3 Razor has very few flaws.

I just received the new S&B PMII 1-8x24 CC to play with. I am really itchign to compare it with the Razor as soon as the ranges here open up.

Also, if any of you are from New Mexico and know good shooting spots on BLM land, please PM me. I could really use some help there.

ILya

Reactions: PBWalsh
Thanks for the reply. Not really worried about the money side as I am budgeting 1.8-2k for the optic setup. Just looking at optimizing a 16” .223W AR that can go to a CQB carbine class one month, a precision carbine class the next, and do well at both.

The Vortex seems like it’ll do both in a pinch whereas the other option gives me solid turrets, aftermarket zero stop, all while retaining point blank ability.

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. Not really worried about the money side as I am budgeting 1.8-2k for the optic setup. Just looking at optimizing a 16” .223W AR that can go to a CQB carbine class one month, a precision carbine class the next, and do well at both.

The Vortex seems like it’ll do both in a pinch whereas the other option gives me solid turrets, aftermarket zero stop, all while retaining point blank ability.
You're not necessarily wrong but you'd be shooting the rifle canted for the entire carbine class and deal with the scope blocking vision. I think you'd be more hindered trying to run that then running the vortex in a distance class.

The 1X6 is very easy to work with.I shoot a-lot of 22 rf with the 1x6 and find it easy to get to and make adjustments.

took it out and zeroed it today. In true horus-ish fashion, The optic was a breeze to zero. Placed one shot on the target, and then use the reticle to read the adjustments. My co-worker did the same with his GEN3 and Barret REC10. If done in this fashion, you can literally be zero’d in 2-3 shots. After that we placed one chip shot on steel at 465 yards, a mere 3 Mils, with 175 grain SMK GMM. Both center of chest hits, one and done. I’ll post further with further use. Thus far, we’ve both favorable views of the optic.

Nice pics how is that Barrett Rec 10 running.I had the Rec 7 and loved it.Sorry I got rid of it.

took it out and zeroed it today. In true horus-ish fashion, The optic was a breeze to zero. Placed one shot on the target, and then use the reticle to read the adjustments. My co-worker did the same with his GEN3 and Barret REC10. If done in this fashion, you can literally be zero’d in 2-3 shots. After that we placed one chip shot on steel at 465 yards, a mere 3 Mils, with 175 grain SMK GMM. Both center of chest hits, one and done. I’ll post further with further use. Thus far, we’ve both favorable views of the optic.

Any comparisons to the MK8 on that other rifle?

Nice pics how is that Barrett Rec 10 running.I had the Rec 7 and loved it.Sorry I got rid of it.

Nice rifle. Very lightweight and handy feeling. I think he said it weighs 8lbs, but it felt lighter. My MWS is 8.7 lbs, but it is handicapped slightly due to the indexing collar.
Can’t much about it at this point as we zero’d and made a shot on steel ea. And left. Seems Koolaide-ish worthy thus far.

Any comparisons to the MK8 on that other rifle?

*Here is a post I made in another thread on this forum upon initial receipt of the optic:

Vortex GEN3, 1-10, mil/mil. I’ve no previous experience with Vortex Optics. This particular optic checks a lot of boxes for my 7.62 MLOK MWS, otherwise I’m usually Leupy leaning. First impression... it feels very robust. Glass isn’t as good as my Leupold MK8, which is exceptional. Definitely daylight bright. Magnification at 10X doesn’t seem like a significant difference compared to my MK8 1-8, but I’ve yet to side by side compare. Eye relief is significant. It’s definitely a true 1x. Definitely daylight bright. Horus style reticle is decent, but doughnut crosshair could go imho. It’s plain looking. I hate the purple-ish, burnt bronze color. I would personally prefer uncapped turrets. The dials aren’t the most pleasurable feeling, they feel lunky compared to my MK8. The magnification dial is smooth and on point, as is the illumination system. The lens caps are shit for a $2K optic. I need to decide on the mount, possibly spend some time with it to see if it’s truly what I want....

ETA: I just got my MK8 1-8 CQBSS H27d out for side by side comparison. The Glass clarity/image clarity on the MK8 is much better. On 8 power, the images in the 1-8 actually look closer, I think this is just do to image clarity, but I prefer the Leupold quite a bit more. The Vortex is much better on 1x with illumination, to be used as a red dot, however, clarity still goes to the Leupold. Overall it still feels like a fine optic for the money and the glass is good, but not great. I’m not sure how it would compare to a nightforce ATACR 1-8, but if the nightforce has better glass, I suspect my opinion would be the same.
——————————————————————————
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
So after my 1st range session and zero, has anything changed and what are my thoughts. I’ve made lots of detailed comparisons contextually for myself and at the request of other. Some things seem like I’m dog-ing the optic, when I’m just making contextual observation and pointing out, selfishly, things I’d like. I like the optic a great deal for the rifle I affixed it too... It is close to having your cake and eating to for most end users. For me, it still checks a lot of boxes and is a very well rounded optic. I think it is worth ever bit what I’ve spent on it thus far.

Things Co-worker and I both noticed zeroing at 100 yds compared to the H27D equipped CQBSS.

-The RG3’s center dot was larger/occluded the the point of aim that we were zeroing on, the H27D has a fine crosshairs. However, I didn’t have issue, nor did he. Nor did we have issue with the sole piece of silhouette steel that was hanging at 465 yards. I’ll stretch it out quite a bit further next time. The CQBSS, to me, is very much a AR10-ish DMR optic (the reticle alone has 22 mils of elevation), and imho, executes that role, very, very well. Yes technically it can dial to 1.1x and be used as a red dot...But to say it pales in comparison to the RG3 on the “LP” of the “VO”, is an understatement. But so far I think the RG3 will be quite competent, dialing or holding, consistently, @ 800 & in, on 7.62 platforms.

-I wish the RG3 dials had a zero stop

-we both wish, at the very least, Vortex would sell thread protection, for the cap threads, to run exposed turrets, similar to NF. (Having said that, with no zer stop or lockable feature, probably not a great idea).

-we still both agreed image clarity was better on the MK8 (don’t get your panties in a bunch, the RG3 is plenty competent and has good glass. I’m sure my garbage MK8 is an N=1 $4K phenomenon).

-I still like the MK8’s dials better, personal preference, very tactile, very Swiss-ish feeling in comparison. In context, I’m sure the Vortex is very well made and I’m aware that it was designed with the intention of running the reticle and rarely dialing.

-The RG3 has insane illumination! Additionally the rheostat has a locking feature.

-I’ve not performed any Garand Thumb 1x Blaze OPS drills yet, but clearing my home, mall ninja style, I think the run it like a red-dot end users are going to be very happy , as am I. I’m impressed.

In the end, I love both optics, thus far, on their current platforms.

@Hatari

The Warne is ok. I do not like the height as I feel like I’m smashing my face into the rifle and am slower on target. With two optics now (SWFA 1-6, SWFA 10x), it would not clear my rear sight (Magpul MBUS Pro). I added a Leupold Mk1 riser to my receiver to combat this. The mount plus riser gives me a 1.93/2” optic centerline now which is much more comfortable neck position and faster on target.

Had the .5” nuts come loose during a carbine class once, but I hand tightened them on the fly and it appeared to return to zero.

Not a bad mount though if you dont mind the low height.

8FA959A1-B651-46C2-9520-3D16CDC944E3.jpeg

So, I did some measurements, and with buis on I would only have half a mm clearance with the warne. Looks like Scalarworks will be the choice as it gives around (at least) 3.4mm clearance on paper with 1.57 height version.

2. The one that I have is the MOA version with the BDC reticle but I actually dig it. If I tune the zero at 50 yards to equal a true zero between 200-225 depending on the cartridge I can get the hold overs to line up pretty good, generally within 1/2 MOA or better. So far I've run the numbers and so far I can make this reticle work with 77gr OTM, 75 BTHP, 55gr FMJ, etc...most common 5.56 basically. This is the magnification on 10X.
What app do you use that lets you figure out what ammo and distance you need to zero at to get the ammo to line up with the BDC?