• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Rifle Scopes Vortex Razor HD Gen III 1-10x

FYI - CS Tactical is getting these in soon. I was contacted for payment today and was told scope should ship mid next week. (y)

Got word from Euro Optics that mine shipped yesterday. Looking forward to getting it mounted and at the range. Mounting it on my BG Defense.

Attachments

• 27D89871-3E50-4996-82EC-D8205B0A0951.jpeg
    27D89871-3E50-4996-82EC-D8205B0A0951.jpeg
    319.8 KB · Views: 182
Mine shipped too. Should be here Wednesday. Can't wait.

Reactions: Sabre672
Any discount codes or websites that have these less then $2000? Just got my SCAR 17 and really want one of these for it.

Attachments

• FF3A3D10-0881-47DD-9B40-6E6F419A733A.jpeg
    FF3A3D10-0881-47DD-9B40-6E6F419A733A.jpeg
    52.3 KB · Views: 79
That is very nicely edited.

One comment: he keeps on talking about notch filters. There is no notch filter in the Gen 3 or in riflescopes in general. The illumination in focusing optics is done differently and notch fitlers are not used. This specific scope has a diffractive reticle.

Notch filters are used in reflex sights and some holographics.

ILya

Thanks for posting that. Seems to be a well rounded review. I liked the drop test...
I can't be the only who winced when they saw that drop test. Held up nicely, though. I also really liked the review.

watched the sage dynamics review and this one today. Always looking for more affirmation that I’ve made a wise decision.

Reactions: zoutou
After I watched sages reviews, I’m worry at 1x the reticle is too small without illumination. Both NF 1-8 can be use without illumination at 1x.

I still think vortex should use the integrated throw leveler instead of opting for switchview lever, I heard people can break that thing.

Happy to see the reviews are coming out on this optic and so far they have been positive.I love the 1x6 razor and I am now interested in the 1x10.Both of those reviews were well done and thanks for sharing them.

After I watched sages reviews, I’m worry at 1x the reticle is too small without illumination. Both NF 1-8 can be use without illumination at 1x.

I still think vortex should use the integrated throw leveler instead of opting for switchview lever, I heard people can break that thing.

I wouldn't be worried about that and I am not even though I don't have it in hand. The center is made to be a little heavier at 1x. I am sure someone who has one in hand can comment. It's tough to get a good idea of what it would look like in person with a through the scope video or pic but if that would have been an issue I am sure there would have been people complaining about it and I haven't heard that complaint. There are also the heavier outer parts of the crosshair that acts almost as a bracketing so you know where the center is also.

Break a switchview? Yeah I am sure some have but it's not common. I have never broken one on any of my 3 gun or PRS rifles. Honestly I would rather break the switchview than the whole power ring with an integrated unit. Either way it would be covered by Vortex if you did. The aluminum switchviews are pretty tough.

Reactions: 502Chevelle

I wouldn't be worried about that and I am not even though I don't have it in hand. The center is made to be a little heavier at 1x. I am sure someone who has one in hand can comment. It's tough to get a good idea of what it would look like in person with a through the scope video or pic but if that would have been an issue I am sure there would have been people complaining about it and I haven't heard that complaint. There are also the heavier outer parts of the crosshair that acts almost as a bracketing so you know where the center is also.

Break a switchview? Yeah I am sure some have but it's not common. I have never broken one on any of my 3 gun or PRS rifles. Honestly I would rather break the switchview than the whole power ring with an integrated unit. Either way it would be covered by Vortex if you did. The aluminum switchviews are pretty tough.

The three outside stadia are plenty bold enough on 1x, and is what you see peripheral when looking both eyes open looking past the tube at the target. But I personally, wouldn’t preference this as my intended primary usage I guess. I bought mine for it’s 10x capability’s, with a fantastic 1x as a tertiary, if needed. I still need to get some 45 degree KAC irons. Illuminated it is pretty close to an aimpoint ease of use.

I’m not running the throw lever personally. Not because I believe it will fail, while I’m sure anything is possible. But because, for me, the magnification ring move freely enough without it.

I do think Nightforce has the best design though by including a threaded insert for optional throw lever.

Why would anyone run this optic on 1x with no illumination, though? The fact that you can crank the brightness and run it like a red dot is a huge selling point.

Why would anyone run this optic on 1x with no illumination, though? The fact that you can crank the brightness and run it like a red dot is a huge selling point.

Just in case no juice on battery or EMT hit and no electronic device works....still wanna be able to use it at 1x instead of using irons

Carry extra batteries. Quality 2032s are not expensive, and we're talking about $2000 optics on what I assume are similarly not-cheap rifles. I just can't see how this "problem" is so make-or-break.

Reactions: Rob01
Carry extra batteries. Quality 2032s are not expensive, and we're talking about $2000 optics on what I assume are similarly not-cheap rifles. I just can't see how this "problem" is so make-or-break.
But what about when SHTF or TEOTWAWKI?!!?!!??!

Reactions: DarrinW
If any of you guys who get your scope this week also own or have time on the ATACR 1-8x, I would be very interested in any comments you might provide directly comparing the two. Looking to put either the Gen 3 Razor or the ATACR on an 18" 5.56 gun. Thank you all for all the incredible information you've provided so far, especially Ilya, have learned a lot following your posts and website.

If any of you guys who get your scope this week also own or have time on the ATACR 1-8x, I would be very interested in any comments you might provide directly comparing the two. Looking to put either the Gen 3 Razor or the ATACR on an 18" 5.56 gun. Thank you all for all the incredible information you've provided so far, especially Ilya, have learned a lot following your posts and website.

They are both very good scopes. Razor has substantially wider FOV and slightly smaller center dot for better precision on high magnification. Both are nuclear bright and both are pretty easy to get behind. ATACR is clearly a very durable scope. Razor being new, we do not yet know, but Razors are generally durable scopes, so I suspect it will do fine. Oh, and the Razor costs a few hundred less.

I also happened to have S&B 1-8x24 Dual CC here and I am beyond impressed with it, but it is $4k. The Razor under $2k is really impressive.

ILya

Reactions: richthe1
I have an astigmatism, so red dots typically look like streaks to me (holographic sights seem to work well, though). It’s hard to purchase sight unseen, and I’d hate to buy it and have the 1x red dot look like a streak instead of a crisp dot. Optically, does the “red dot” on Vortex 1-10 function the same as a typical RDS? Trying to determine if red dots in the LPVO would affect me like the red dots in a typical RDS.

I have an astigmatism, so red dots typically look like streaks to me (holographic sights seem to work well, though). It’s hard to purchase sight unseen, and I’d hate to buy it and have the 1x red dot look like a streak instead of a crisp dot. Optically, does the “red dot” on Vortex 1-10 function the same as a typical RDS? Trying to determine if red dots in the LPVO would affect me like the red dots in a typical RDS.

It will work better than a red dot.

There will still be some effects from astigmatism if you run it too bright in the dark, but mostly you'll be fine.

ILya

Mine arrived today (thanks Liberty Optics!).

first opinion - it's everything I love about the gen2 with a much better reticle and first focal plane. it's not sunny today, but I have zero expectation that the illumination will wash out even in the most extreme sunlight conditions. on that note - what trick/method have Vortex and Nightforce figured out regarding daytime bright (as in brighter than an Aimpoint) FFP reticles?

the eyebox appears to be as flexible and forgiving as my G2R, better than my NX8, though that scope is still a marvel for it's size & weight.
for now, my new RG3 will reside on my DT MDRX. I think it's a great fit for a carbine that can swap between 556 & 762/6.5c.

I've got it mounted with a Scalerworks - this is the first one of them I've owned. It's a very interesting design. The leveling plug seems like a gimic, but the fit/finish and engineering both seem top notch. I wouldn't consider it QD like a Bobro or ADM, more of a tool free mounting solution.

I cannot wait to get it to the range and run some drills/groups and compare to other LVPOs I own (G2R, NX8, PST2, and PX4). I wish I had LVPOs from Kahles, ATACR, Burris, Eotech, (etc) to compare it to, but alas, my budget is limited.

Last edited:
Reactions: PBWalsh and Rob01
Mine shipped today! My first LPVO. What mounts are people running? I was looking at the Larue SPR-E.

Scalerworks. my other LVPOs are Geisesle, ADM, Nightforce rings, though there are other quality choices available.

Reactions: Mitu
Mine should ship tomorrow from Euro Optics. I’m going to put it in the Condition One Modular Mount by Badger Ordnance.

Mine should ship tomorrow from Euro Optics. I’m going to put it in the Condition One Modular Mount by Badger Ordnance.

that is what I was going to go with - I've had great luck with everything Badger sells, but I feared the 1/2" mounting nuts could cause some bloody knuckles with a side charging carbine. if you are running a traditional AR that should be a sweet piece of kit.

Reactions: Warrior 45
I have the 1.7” condition one mount. Just waiting for the scope to be ship to me

I have the 1.7” condition one mount. Just waiting for the scope to be ship to me

I went with the 1.54” as I feel this would be better for longer range. I am really interested to hear how you like the 1.70”.

They are both very good scopes. Razor has substantially wider FOV and slightly smaller center dot for better precision on high magnification. Both are nuclear bright and both are pretty easy to get behind. ATACR is clearly a very durable scope. Razor being new, we do not yet know, but Razors are generally durable scopes, so I suspect it will do fine. Oh, and the Razor costs a few hundred less.

I also happened to have S&B 1-8x24 Dual CC here and I am beyond impressed with it, but it is $4k. The Razor under $2k is really impressive.

ILya
Any chance of a video comparing the high end LPVOs?

Got mine in. Got it mounted on my .308 AR and now have to find some time at the range. Quick out of the box thoughts are that it's a 34mm Razor II 1-6x in all it's pros. true 1x, great reticle, huge eye box etc. Not much more to add to what a lot have said. It's definitely a win for Vortex. I like the reticle as I liked my JM-1s. On 1x with mo illumination it is harder to see the center but the three heavy outer crosshairs make it easy to see where the center aiming point is. With illumination on it's like a red dot. I don't see any downsides yet. We will see after a range trip.

first range trip today. I did little more than set zero at 10, 25, and finally 50 yards.
at 1x I think Vortex has an absolute home run. the illumination is daylight bright - as in 11 is way overkill and I cannot see how it would ever be used.
eyebox and field of view are both excellent. if feels at least as good as my RG2 - both just disappear at 1x with consistent cheek weld.

the fixed parallax isn't ideal, especially when zeroing - a place where I use more magnification than I would under normal conditions. My understanding of optic design isn't informed enough to comprehend the fixed parallax decision, but a variable option would be nice - but I don't know if that's possible.
at 50 yards at 10x it's still not as clear as you'd like, but I don't think there are very many real world scenarios where you'd be at max zoom that close... and it wouldn't cause the shooter to miss a shot, just an observation (I could say the same thing about my NX8 & RG2).
the eyebox gets noticeably less forgiving at 10x, which lines up with all of my LVPO experience

when time allows I'll get the NX8 & RG3 to and past 100 yards and see what that brings. I expect a fair amount of cross over and some wins for both offerings.

Sob. UPS just notified me that due to reasons behind their control... looks like next week. :(

• Sad
Reactions: Rob01

ILya
I really wish that one of these premier tactical optic manufacturers would include adjustable parallax. 8x is super neutered without it.

Reactions: Leftie
One mine. Excited for it, but still can't figure out how to best utilize. What do people see as the optimal host for this scope?
Tossed mine on my .308 AR but would work in a .223 or similar. Hell can throw it on anything you want that the power range and features would work on. Even on a hunting rifle it would work pretty well.
CF3B8A74-9DB7-4B3E-A015-A26370B6EFA3.jpeg

Reactions: Sabre672
Most of my ARs are short, and I am wondering if it is a waste to put that much scope on a 12.5. I could put it on a Scar 16, also short but it shoots bugholes whenever I actually shoot it for accuracy, or on an MDR -- 16 inch barrel, shoots well, but I don't use it a ton. All set for hunting rifles. Sigh. What do you think?

Most of my ARs are short, and I am wondering if it is a waste to put that much scope on a 12.5. I could put it on a Scar 16, also short but it shoots bugholes whenever I actually shoot it for accuracy, or on an MDR -- 16 inch barrel, shoots well, but I don't use it a ton. All set for hunting rifles. Sigh. What do you think?
Sounds like you have a reason for a new rifle:D

Reactions: 502Chevelle
in my amateur opinion the RG3 (and similar scopes) offer a metic ton of utility and could fit a large number of roles:
1) DMR/SPR/REECE type build (the MK12 had a 2.5-8/3.5-10 if memory serves) in a caliber of your choice.
2) a hunting rifle for much of the US - I cannot think of a shot (semi or bolt rifle in an appropriate caliber) that you'd take in MN at a white tail/coyote where these 1-x scopes wouldn't be perfect. This is probably also be true in any jurisdiction that required a straight walled caliber.
3) sbr 556/6.5gren/6.8 spc - with proper training many folks report they have similar splits with a good LVPO vs red dot. money no object, why not replace all of your RDS with LVPOs and gain a ton of flexibility to shoot longer whenever you'd like. While this typo of scope would be silly on an MP5, I think it would be a great fit for a shorty AR or bullpup.

other than the aforementioned MP5 and a precision rifle, I can see value in topping any rifle with a RG3/NX8/ATARC/Kahles, etc. given deep enough pockets why would you consider a 3-9, 3-12 at all?

another thought. could Vortex release a second version of this scope with a larger objective and adjustable parallax? I'm not an optical engineer, but this precedent has been set (at least from my perspective) by the NF NSX 2.5-10x24/32/42 line.

The MOA/BDC reticle is not going to work well with a barrel that short. It's calibrated more along the lines of 18" barrel velocities. If you are running with the mil reticle, I think it'd be fine, you would just need to memorize your holdovers. Whether you're going to shoot far enough you need to memorize them is up to you, I guess.