• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

Back to our regularly scheduled programming ;)

i-QwmKHcQ-X2.jpg

Just FYI,

Talked to the crew at Vudoo

Barreled action with ranch contour #4lb 6 oz.

Looking to build the 4h light rifle, Barreled action with ranch contour 16.5", Boyds AT1 stock, Timney Calvin Elite, need to find a set of sights......small bore sights that I do not know crap about! I would just scope it, but I would have to find scope and rings under a pound.

Missed - Doubt you're going to be able to use either one of those Boyds stocks and meet your weight requirements. Laminated stocks generally weigh more than a plain wood stock largely due to the weight of the epoxy soaked up during the lamination process. I've got a ProVarmint with the adjustable cheekpiece on a Howa Mini with a 24" Bartlein #2 contour bbl, with an old Nikon 30mm 4-16x50 scope mounted - it weighs a bit over 11lbs. I'd guess the adj cp hardware adds no more than 4-5oz to the stock. If you don't go with the adj cp, and specify the stock be made of their base grade of walnut, you might lose 1/2-3/4lb - just a SWAG on my part, but food for thought. I'm interested in your project because I want to build myself a lighter weight sporter V-22 - my tactical trainer/comp V-22 w/22" Krieger sendero & Athlon Cronus 34mm 4.5-29x56 in a Manners Elite T4A tips the scales at 14lbs. Would really enjoy having one that weighs 9-9.5lbs to keep handy for walking about the place.

Sieg - when I threaded the muzzles of my bolt repeaters' bbls - Benchmark, Lilja, Kriegers - I counter-bored the muzzles back to the point where the cut for the threaded tenon started. Don't know if it really made any difference, but cutting the .830" dia muzzle down to .498" for 1/2-28 threads was bound to let the bore under that cut expand a bit, even though I made the cuts with several passes of .020" per pass instead of taking fewer deeper cuts. That's what the Anschutz NA Custom Shop does, so I thought I'd do the same.

Reactions: Kisssofdeath
Sieg - when I threaded the muzzles of my bolt repeaters' bbls - Benchmark, Lilja, Kriegers - I counter-bored the muzzles back to the point where the cut for the threaded tenon started. Don't know if it really made any difference, but cutting the .830" dia muzzle down to .498" for 1/2-28 threads was bound to let the bore under that cut expand a bit, even though I made the cuts with several passes of .020" per pass instead of taking fewer deeper cuts. That's what the Anschutz NA Custom Shop does, so I thought I'd do the same.

What diameter did you counterbore with?

I used a miniature solid carbide boring bar (Circle brand) to bore the bore out, went far enough out so the resulting hole was about .025" larger than the groove dia of the bore. IOW, I cut out the portion of the bore that might have expanded as the thread tenon was cut, so if there was any potential for a loose-fitting bore at the muzzle to have a negative effect on accuracy, that potential was eliminated.

I personally agree with this 100% provided you are still crowning at the choke and not cutting the majority of the choke out (If it is a taper lapped barrel that is...). The only thing I wonder about is what turbulence is created by the recessed crown and if it effects bullet flight. I have always been of the opinion that you want the bullet to exit the muzzle in a "clean" of air as you can. Which is why a properly designed muzzle device will not decrease accuracy but a poor design can cause accuracy to go to total crap. But this is just my .02

Missed - Doubt you're going to be able to use either one of those Boyds stocks and meet your weight requirements. Laminated stocks generally weigh more than a plain wood stock largely due to the weight of the epoxy soaked up during the lamination process. I've got a ProVarmint with the adjustable cheekpiece on a Howa Mini with a 24" Bartlein #2 contour bbl, with an old Nikon 30mm 4-16x50 scope mounted - it weighs a bit over 11lbs. I'd guess the adj cp hardware adds no more than 4-5oz to the stock. If you don't go with the adj cp, and specify the stock be made of their base grade of walnut, you might lose 1/2-3/4lb - just a SWAG on my part, but food for thought. I'm interested in your project because I want to build myself a lighter weight sporter V-22 - my tactical trainer/comp V-22 w/22" Krieger sendero & Athlon Cronus 34mm 4.5-29x56 in a Manners Elite T4A tips the scales at 14lbs. Would really enjoy having one that weighs 9-9.5lbs to keep handy for walking about the place.

Yeah i know it's going to be a challenge! I have thought about building it as a minimal chassis somewhat like the Anchuntz 3 position guns. I was thinking I needed to knock nearly a pound off the stock, I can get 4+ ounces from the recoil pad mount, go to a minimum recoil pad and loose another ounce. I know it's going to be a challenge to slim it up! I'm going to get one of the stocks anyway. When the barreled action gets ordered I'm going to order it with the rancher barrel and a the Kuriki contour also.

I personally agree with this 100% provided you are still crowning at the choke and not cutting the majority of the choke out (If it is a taper lapped barrel that is...). The only thing I wonder about is what turbulence is created by the recessed crown and if it effects bullet flight. I have always been of the opinion that you want the bullet to exit the muzzle in a "clean" of air as you can. Which is why a properly designed muzzle device will not decrease accuracy but a poor design can cause accuracy to go to total crap. But this is just my .02

Jesse,
I did the counterbored muzzle on the Krieger I used on my Stiller 2500XR repeater that you & I talked about here while you were working out the extraction/ejection issues you were having with your Stiller. That was the 1st 22RF bbl I'd fitted & chambered after several years of doing CF bbls. To be honest, I wish I'd have tested it for accuracy before & after doing the counterbore, if for no other reason than to have an opinion based on experience. But the rifle shot pretty darned good, so it never occurred to me that the counterbore might've caused an issue. Call it blind faith in what Anschutz's NA Custom Shop does - I never questioned the theory behind their practice. I do believe that I finished that Krieger about .600" longer than the 22" I specified when I ordered it, as that's the approx. length of the SWR tenon for the Spectre II, and did much the same with the Benchmark & Lilja bbls that I did for the CMP 40X & 40XB jelrod-converted repeaters after I'd sold the Stiller. Krieger says it doesn't matter much where you finish their 22RF bbls, because they lap the taper from start to finish (or at least that's what I got out of a conversation with them while ordering a couple more 22RF blanks from them after doing this first one). Benchmark & Lilja both told me that finishing their barrels shorter than the ordered finish length would void the accuracy warranty, so I made sure I finished them the same .600" longer so the counterbore would be just beyond the lapped-in choke. But again, I never considered testing them before & after doing the counterbore. I'm not quite curious enough about the effect on accuracy of the counterbore to cut off the .400" thread tenon I did on the V-22's Krieger for the TBAC 22TD I use on it - it often shoots slightly better groups than either of the 40Xs. But you raise a valid point, and it's got me wondering if any of the five 22RF bbl's I've finished would have shot better before I did the counterbore.

Jesse,
I did the counterbored muzzle on the Krieger I used on my Stiller 2500XR repeater that you & I talked about here while you were working out the extraction/ejection issues you were having with your Stiller. That was the 1st 22RF bbl I'd fitted & chambered after several years of doing CF bbls. To be honest, I wish I'd have tested it for accuracy before & after doing the counterbore, if for no other reason than to have an opinion based on experience. But the rifle shot pretty darned good, so it never occurred to me that the counterbore might've caused an issue. Call it blind faith in what Anschutz's NA Custom Shop does - I never questioned the theory behind their practice. I do believe that I finished that Krieger about .600" longer than the 22" I specified when I ordered it, as that's the approx. length of the SWR tenon for the Spectre II, and did much the same with the Benchmark & Lilja bbls that I did for the CMP 40X & 40XB jelrod-converted repeaters after I'd sold the Stiller. Krieger says it doesn't matter much where you finish their 22RF bbls, because they lap the taper from start to finish (or at least that's what I got out of a conversation with them while ordering a couple more 22RF blanks from them after doing this first one). Benchmark & Lilja both told me that finishing their barrels shorter than the ordered finish length would void the accuracy warranty, so I made sure I finished them the same .600" longer so the counterbore would be just beyond the lapped-in choke. But again, I never considered testing them before & after doing the counterbore. I'm not quite curious enough about the effect on accuracy of the counterbore to cut off the .400" thread tenon I did on the V-22's Krieger for the TBAC 22TD I use on it - it often shoots slightly better groups than either of the 40Xs. But you raise a valid point, and it's got me wondering if any of the five 22RF bbl's I've finished would have shot better before I did the counterbore.

Its just one of those things I ponder on often, but don't have the funds or the means to test. If time and money were not a consideration I would have some 1st hand data on it already. ha!

Its just one of those things I ponder on often, but don't have the funds or the means to test. If time and money were not a consideration I would have some 1st hand data on it already. ha!

Dittos, Jesse. Time & money - two very important commodities - and every day older I get, the more valuable time seems to become. Just turned 67 a few days ago, and after losing my father to complications from pneumonia this past spring, I can't help realizing how precious time is to all of us. I'm sitting here in my office on our farm, wishing I had more time to spend visiting with online friends, but at the same time, glancing out the window at a John Deere 8330 tractor hooked up to a disc plow...need to get out there and warm it up, then head to the field with it.

Looking at the Tubbs trigger.

My daughter shoots Biathlon and is really used to a two stage. The Tubbs is really the only one that is adjustable like her Biathlon rifle. I am looking at a Vudoo for her.... maybe...

Has anyone installed his trigger onto a Vudoo?
If so comments...
Thanks

Looking at the Tubbs trigger.

My daughter shoots Biathlon and is really used to a two stage. The Tubbs is really the only one that is adjustable like her Biathlon rifle. I am looking at a Vudoo for her.... maybe...

Has anyone installed his trigger onto a Vudoo?
If so comments...
Thanks

The Tubb trigger is all I use on my 700 pattern rifles including my Vudoo.

Just got my V-22 and yesterday was first day at the range. After sighing it in I found at this early stage it definitely does not like SK pistol or R-50. What it loves at this stage in life is Fed UltraMatch. 6 consecutive 5 shot groups at 50 yards resulted the largest to be .43" and the smallest .245" with two shooters shooting to the same POI.

No surprise, but I LOVE this gun and the Vortex Viper PST II 5-25 scope. Then gun is in a MPA BA Competition stock.

Last edited:
Update

After shooting about 100 rounds, my V-22 started shooting both R-50 and SK Pistol Match very well.

That's good to hear Travelor - my two jelrod-converted 40Xs & V-22 shoot the SK Pistol Match very well - at least as good as SK Rifle Match, and at a buck-a-box less, what's not to like? I've still got several boxes of Fed Ultramatch from Midway, three different lots, that I've tried in Benchmark, Krieger, & Lilja bbls on these three rifles, and none of them shot any of the three lots of the Fed consistently well, from 50 to 100yds. Just ordered a couple of V-22 actions - one with Bartlein bbl, the other with an Ace - may try what's left of the Ultramatch in them.

BTW, my V-22 has a Bartlein barrel 18" Seems as if it may shoot better withmy silencer attached.

I did the bbl work on the 22" Krieger on my V-22, including threading & counterboring the muzzle for a TBAC 22TD suppressor. I've only shot a very few rounds unsuppressed through this bbl, but didn't see any difference in accuracy one way or the other. No surprise, as both the 40X repeaters also shoot at least as well with as without the SWR Spectre II mounted. Have yet to shoot any of my 22RF precision rifles with a Bartlein bbl - looking forward to seeing how the V-22 barreled action with 22" Kukri Bartlein performs in comparison to the rest of my rifles. It's for a customer's build, and since I just ordered a McM A5 stock for him, it'll be awhile (at least next spring) before we can shoot it in that stock. However, when we get his bbl'd action, I may talk him into trying it in the Manners T4A w/DBM mini chassis that my 40XB repeater is currently in, just to let him play with it, and perhaps to test with various ammo.

Dude, obviously you have a magazine fetish issue. :LOL:

#hoarder ;)

Which rifle wins your heart?

Reactions: Rolltide
Not so much a fetish, I just hate loading mags at the range...

The KIDD is an awesome rifle, and we've got history, but the Vudoo is exactly what I've wanted my Anschutz to be, incredibly accurate, which they already are, but without the expensive magazines that aren't always cooperative...

Reactions: RAVAGE88
Not so much a fetish, I just hate loading mags at the range...

The KIDD is an awesome rifle, and we've got history, but the Vudoo is exactly what I've wanted my Anschutz to be, incredibly accurate, which they already are, but without the expensive magazines that aren't always cooperative...
My heart was set on owning an Anschutz in my lifetime but I could not get over the magazine prices. They could have easily buried those costs in a rifle package but I regress.

The magazine pricing lead me to Vudoo, so I'm obligated to thank Anschutz for the exceptional referral. ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: RAVAGE88
Out of curiosity I just did a little search for Anschutz magazines. :eek: $60 to $80 each. I know a few guys that just bought new Anschuts rifles a few months ago. I've asked them the last few times I saw them if they were going to shot them in a match. There response was that they were still working out magazine issues. :poop:

Wow, that's half the price of a 10 round Ans. mag. Cheapest I found those are $68.34 each. Vudoo much one notch up.

Quckdraw, I never had had an issue with my mags, I have one 10 rounder and two 5 rounders.

Who here has tried top of the line ammo in their Vudoo? Lapua X-Act or Eley Tenex?

If so what did you see especially compared to the mid priced ammo that these rifles have shot so well like SK Standard Plus or CCI SV?

How far did you stretch out the good stuff?

Out of curiosity I just did a little search for Anschutz magazines. :eek: $60 to $80 each. I know a few guys that just bought new Anschuts rifles a few months ago. I've asked them the last few times I saw them if they were going to shot them in a match. There response was that they were still working out magazine issues. :poop:
Optics Planet has 10 rnd for $115.99 :)

Feed, extract, and ejection issue were also key reasons I went with Vudoo. In my research the 64's to my surprise appear to have quite a few issues that aren't a clear cut fix. Mag and extractor tuning worked for some, others were returning rifles then still not satisfied with them when returned. I have numerous friends with 64's in 22WMR and 17HMR and their guns function flawlessly. The 22LR's appears to be the problem child at times. Having next to no luck at all I knew if I ordered one the odds would be against me. :LOL:

That said, the new Anschutz 54.30 barreled action is a nice piece of machining.
i-2JnJ6Xb-L.jpg

I compete against this 54.30 resting in his 1984 stock in 100-200 yds matches. He has been shooting competitive rimfire since the early 80's and also shoots a Stiller/Benchmark custom for 200yds in our matches. The Vudoo shooting off the bipod and rear bag with CCI SV shot 958-17x, 5 points behind his 963-20x and 6 points behind the winners 963-17x. That was my first ever formal rifle competition, my second match was much tougher wind and mirage conditions so I'm guessing my 950-15x placed me in around 5th or 6th.

I've shot Tenex flat nose, Center-X, Fed GM Ultra, SK Rifle Match, SK Pistol Match Special, SK Std+ and the CCI SV just isn't that bad in my gun. At the current local gun stores $240 a case it's hard to argue.

Reactions: kabarNC
My V22 is here. I m tickled pink. What a professional package. My rifle is—
Ravage, Renegade stock olive/black
22” Bartlin Barreled, Kukti Contour
20 mos base
Melonited action, stainless barrel
Lg. tactical knob
Trigger Tech Diamond- straight shoe
With the Vudoo custom case
Wow what a package. I’m 82 and have bought a lot of rifles in my time and this is the top of the heap!!!!!
Thanks everyone from Vudoo for their quality and service to me
Sincerely, John E Rupert

How far did you stretch out the good stuff?

400 and 600 yards. Eley red.

This target is about 12 wide and 18 or so tall.

Nice round group at 400. 4 out of 5 connected at 600. Not a clue where the missing shot went.

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_3a5.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_3a5.jpeg
    673.3 KB · Views: 63
  • IMG_4086.JPG
    IMG_4086.JPG
    691.9 KB · Views: 60
Anyone else getting poor groups (all things considered) with Lapua Center X? I am averaging 1.1 to 1.2 inches center to center at 100 yards. I am getting quite a bit better groups with Lapua Pistol King. Usually around .75 which is fine by me since it's a lot cheaper...

The issue is that with Center X, I am getting some crazy flyers. I'll have a .5 inch group going and one will fling out wide by an inch. I haven't noticed those kinds of flyers with UM22, Pistol King, etc.

Anyone else getting poor groups (all things considered) with Lapua Center X? I am averaging 1.1 to 1.2 inches center to center at 100 yards. I am getting quite a bit better groups with Lapua Pistol King. Usually around .75 which is fine by me since it's a lot cheaper...

The issue is that with Center X, I am getting some crazy flyers. I'll have a .5 inch group going and one will fling out wide by an inch. I haven't noticed those kinds of flyers with UM22, Pistol King, etc.
Could be a bad lot, it happens. Center-X usually shoots decent for a lot of people. It did alright in my 18" Ace barreled Vudoo.

This was a quick 50yd test in less than ideal wind/mirage conditions and not my best day. Shot 25 of each, ran two dry patches through at each ammo change. Arguably one should shoot 25+ fouling rounds on a clean bore then shoot for score for a fair ammo test.
i-54n3wRD-XL.jpg

My V22 is here. I m tickled pink. What a professional package. My rifle is—
Ravage, Renegade stock olive/black
22” Bartlin Barreled, Kukti Contour
20 mos base
Melonited action, stainless barrel
Lg. tactical knob
Trigger Tech Diamond- straight shoe
With the Vudoo custom case
Wow what a package. I’m 82 and have bought a lot of rifles in my time and this is the top of the heap!!!!!
Thanks everyone from Vudoo for their quality and service to me
Sincerely, John E Rupert
Congratulations John! The Vudoo's are such a pleasure in every respect. I wish you many more years of shooting it. (y)

I have around 500 rounds or so through the Vudoo so far. Haven't cleaned it yet. I'll try that and give the groups with Center X another try. I did put 100 rounds of Center X through the gun to make sure it was "fouled" with that ammo but a cleaning may be in order.

Here's a few pics of what I was talking about. These are 100 Yard groups. The outer circle diameter is 1". The inside dot is .22".

Screen_Hunter_808_Oct_05_20_12.jpg

Screen_Hunter_806_Oct_05_20_07.jpg

Screen_Hunter_807_Oct_05_20_10.jpg

Sieg said:

I've shot Tenex flat nose, Center-X, Fed GM Ultra, SK Rifle Match, SK Pistol Match Special, SK Std+ and the CCI SV just isn't that bad in my gun. At the current local gun stores $240 a case it's hard to argue.

I've never tried the SK Pistol Match Special, but those who have say it doesn't shoot nearly as well as plain Pistol Match. Special is loaded to slightly higher velocity, relative to Pistol Match.

Not a Vudoo, but when I had my rifle tested at the Lapua facility in Mesa AZ, the CenterX shot okay but not great. It's just that my rifle didn't like the lots numbers they had on hand that day. We tested just about all the lines of ammo and only a few stood out. I bought the cheapest ammo that shot the best which was Polar biathlon. The best shooting was their most expensive ammo but I wasn't going to pay $20 a box.

Reactions: ESBVader
Sieg said:

I've never tried the SK Pistol Match Special, but those who have say it doesn't shoot nearly as well as plain Pistol Match. Special is loaded to slightly higher velocity, relative to Pistol Match.
I'd have to agree as it wasn't impressive. A lot of CZ fans over on Rimfire Central swear by it so I figured I'd try. Haven't tried Pistol Match yet.

I'm almost embarrassed shooting SV in the Vudoo, the body language from people is funny at times. Sign of a quality rifle is it shoots everything reasonably well? I've definitely proven to myself that my talent and environmental conditions vary much more than ammo lots. :rolleyes: