• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

I have around 500 rounds or so through the Vudoo so far. Haven't cleaned it yet. I'll try that and give the groups with Center X another try. I did put 100 rounds of Center X through the gun to make sure it was "fouled" with that ammo but a cleaning may be in order.

Here's a few pics of what I was talking about. These are 100 Yard groups. The outer circle diameter is 1". The inside dot is .22".

Screen_Hunter_808_Oct_05_20_12.jpg

Screen_Hunter_806_Oct_05_20_07.jpg

Screen_Hunter_807_Oct_05_20_10.jpg
For a 100yds those groups are not bad at all. The environmental variables and your techniques could easily make them 20-30% smaller. (y)

Well next week 2 of us pick up our new Vudoos. We are in the process of setting up an ELR22 match in the near future as well. In preparation for that we have purchased Lapua Center X, Midas Plus and X-Act and Eley Tenex ammo as well as the match ammo we already have, SK Rifle Match, SK Pistol Match Special, Wolf Rifle Match Special and Federal Ultra-Match. We'll be doing testing over the next few weeks or so depending on the wind and shooting everything past a LabRadar and on paper to record results.

These rifles are just too much fun and have previously unthought of capabilities. I'll get back with more details once we get going. We'll be using 3 Vudoo Aparitions, 2 with 18" Ace barrels and one with an 18" Bartlein barrel so that will give a wider sampling as well.

Last edited:
I would really like one. Anyone have a lefty action or barreled action the would part with?

Usually items being resold are either because people don't like what they bought or they fall on hard times and need the money. In the case of these rifles I seriously doubt that you will find anyone that doesn't love their rifle and on point 2 the economy is up and unemployment is at a 39 year low. Tough luck I guess. Just order exactly what you want and it will be there before Christmas and you'll be ready for an exciting new year.

I've been waiting a lot longer than that after my wife stole my 1st order from me and I had to reorder a 2nd one for myself. Time goes by pretty quickly.

I know I do. I'm going to try and make my cz for for now. If I get super into it, I will buy one. It's tough to throw down that kind of money for a rimfire barreled action. I know it's worth it but still, makes ya think about it.
I know I do. I'm going to try and make my cz for for now. If I get super into it, I will buy one. It's tough to throw down that kind of money for a rimfire barreled action. I know it's worth it but still, makes ya think about it.
That's what I said as well. I have a CZ/Lilja, and 2 Ruger /KIDD combos. My Vudoo will be done next week. No more fooling around with the gun, no more tweaking stuff. Just practice time and shoot a match. I can hardly wait.

What barrel and what length are you running? It looks longer than the normal Vudoo's, I am a believer in the longer rimfire barrel...

Two of us with Vudoos are about half way through doing ammo testing right now. So far SK Standard +, SK Rifle Match, Lapua Center X, Lapua Midas +. We still have Lapua X-Act and Eley Tenex to complete. Once done I'll compile everything and post something here.

What we have seen so far is that everything shoots great at 50y. The ES and SD's get smaller as the ammo cost/quality goes up but only to a point. We did get started with X-Act and we somewhat surprised to see that the velocity consistency was about the same or a tad worse than the Midas +. We did also shoot to 100 with the X-Act but tough to read groups because the wind started pushing thing around by then. We plan to shoot groups on paper out to 200y once we can decide on the best of the best. All of this in preparation for breaking into ELR shooting matches.

Sounds great quickdraw that should be some good information. I hope "and I know you do to" get an average 1/4" groups out of at least one type of ammo. I would consider an average being for ten 5-shot groups with each individual ammo.

These Vudoo's all shoot great at 50 yards, we've all seen that and with about any ammo. What we are trying to do is get real data that would pertain to the beyond 200y world. We have been shooting at 50 and 100y to this point but soon when the wind dies we'll start shooting paper to 200y and beyond.

This past year has been very frustrating chasing my butt with different rifles and ammo while trying to find accuracy and consistency. Now that the rifle part of the equation has been locked down there is only ammo for different purposes. After that it's all on me to make the shot. At least when I miss now I know that it is all on me and I can live with that.

Dont forget ammo lot numbers will change accuracy. I have had different lots of Eley Red range from pretty good to outstanding. Just different velocities off different loading machines. Rimfire benchrest guys really get wrapped up in it.

Once you find a lot of ammo that gives you good accuracy and low ES/SD, buy as much as you can possibly afford.

Here's a recent one I fitted up.

No bedding. 100% surface machine inlet. Took a perfectly good McMillan and stuck a Walnut bedding block in it, then 3D machined the receiver inlet, floor metal, etc.

Fun project.

40290193_1832619543499462_4599745519718236160_n.jpg

40351946_1832619466832803_4435510965366161408_n.jpg

40232987_1832619116832838_1494162918336364544_n.jpg

40309752_1832619083499508_898940563473039360_n.jpg

This is awesome, Chad. I just received the last of the parts (Arca stuff) I was waiting on from Area419, sending my Manners build in to have this done. I'll be in touch later this week.

MB

Reactions: LRI
Chad, what purpose does this serve vs bedding?

I’m sure Chad will chime in and I want you to hear his explanation, but, in essence, what you see here is bedding, just not what’s typical; I regard it as a step up for a number of reasons. Before I geek out on you, I’d rather you hear the rest from Chadwick....

MB

Reactions: steve123
Dont forget ammo lot numbers will change accuracy. I have had different lots of Eley Red range from pretty good to outstanding. Just different velocities off different loading machines. Rimfire benchrest guys really get wrapped up in it.

Once you find a lot of ammo that gives you good accuracy and low ES/SD, buy as much as you can possibly afford.

We aren't trying to develop bench rest platforms or finding a single load or lot for right now. The size of the groups it shoots is just another data point and not the primary focus. We are trying to find out the basics for evaluating how far to go in search of ammunition for these rifles. X-Act cost twice as much as Center X. Is there a value in terms of primarily consistency but also accuracy for that increase in cost? It is 3 times the cost of SK Rifle Match but what we expect to see is SK Rifle Match start to fall apart at distances of over 100 yards. Will it? Based of the little testing we've done so far we saw regular improvements in the types we've tested until we went from Midas + to X-Act and then the improvements plateaued and Midas + might have been a tad better. We will pick up at this point and start over with X-Act just to confirm this fact. I am extremely interested in the data we receive from Eley Tenex as it is different in many ways from the SK and Lapua we started with. Tenex has a different bullet design and type of lube so it could be interesting. Once we get the basic data compiled we will of course be testing lots a bit along the way of everyday shooting and purchases. By that time I expect to be locked in to maybe only 2 brands of ammo. One lower cost multi purpose everyday round and one ELR round. Over the past year I've acquired 9 different brands of match grade ammo and still have 8000 rounds of various types. I'll move a bunch of that on to others still playing the games looking for accuracy and consistency. Then I'll recycle that money into that gives me the best value and consistency for my 2 Vudoos.

I'm tired of all of the rifle building and ammo testing after each modification. The rifle is perfect now to find a good match in ammo. Next month and beyond you'll just find me at the range banging steel. I'll be the guy with the big smile.

Somebody drop a Vudoo into a LRI Element stock, for the win.
Holy bat balls batman! I just looked that stock up, is there even a market for a $2500.00 stock? I mean a MPA BA chassis can be had for a grand. A decked out McMillan can be had for around $1250.00.

We aren't trying to develop bench rest platforms or finding a single load or lot for right now. The size of the groups it shoots is just another data point and not the primary focus. We are trying to find out the basics for evaluating how far to go in search of ammunition for these rifles. X-Act cost twice as much as Center X. Is there a value in terms of primarily consistency but also accuracy for that increase in cost? It is 3 times the cost of SK Rifle Match but what we expect to see is SK Rifle Match start to fall apart at distances of over 100 yards. Will it? Based of the little testing we've done so far we saw regular improvements in the types we've tested until we went from Midas + to X-Act and then the improvements plateaued and Midas + might have been a tad better. We will pick up at this point and start over with X-Act just to confirm this fact. I am extremely interested in the data we receive from Eley Tenex as it is different in many ways from the SK and Lapua we started with. Tenex has a different bullet design and type of lube so it could be interesting. Once we get the basic data compiled we will of course be testing lots a bit along the way of everyday shooting and purchases. By that time I expect to be locked in to maybe only 2 brands of ammo. One lower cost multi purpose everyday round and one ELR round. Over the past year I've acquired 9 different brands of match grade ammo and still have 8000 rounds of various types. I'll move a bunch of that on to others still playing the games looking for accuracy and consistency. Then I'll recycle that money into that gives me the best value and consistency for my 2 Vudoos.

I'm tired of all of the rifle building and ammo testing after each modification. The rifle is perfect now to find a good match in ammo. Next month and beyond you'll just find me at the range banging steel. I'll be the guy with the big smile.

Quickdraw,
This is my SOP for selecting rimfire ammo as well. I do not want to chase lot #s and am willing to accept the potential for a slight loss of top end accuracy. Mainly b/c the accuracy gain from finding the best ammo for your rifle by brand / model narrowed to a specific lot # is not seen after you start adding in the wind especially at 100 yards and beyond. I have found some very repeatable accuracy results over a large selection of lot #s by simply finding the brand / model of ammo that particular barrel likes.

I believe it's already happened. Paul had a high end CF stock in his shop about 5 months ago.

Yep, we've been doing it for a while, it's called the, Black Magic. One of the Lapua guys has this build and loves it....

MB

Reactions: StrayDog
Nesika Chad's cnc inlet work is amazing - remember the PRS trophy rifle he built a couple or three years ago? Carbon fiber inlet....quite simply put - very high-tech & beyond state-of-the-art IMHO. And I was just starting to feel good about ordering a flattop Manners PRS1T for the V-22/Kukri bbl'd action I've got on order...

Reactions: RAVAGE88
With age comes things that you may later look back on with great affection. With guns, there have been four of those occassions that I personally cherish deeply. It was my time spent with 4 folks: My Dad, Middelton Tompkins, Neal Johnson, and Bo Clerke.

All of these guys have/had the capacity to immediately silence a room when they spoke. All are/were mentors and I am forever in their debt. I say this as a preamble of the "why" behind all this.

My ol man's 34 year career in the Air Force began as an electronic tech working on radar dishes all over the world. From that came a natural magnatism for electrical things. Stereos, RC stuff, and HO scale train sets are what I grew up with. The stereo thing is something I also have a lot of fun with. I have scrimped and saved over my adult life to own a nice class A, all vac tube driven, home audio setup. Vinyl is one of my things....

If you get into this little hobby, before long the subject of stylus cartridges becomes relevant and it is as hotly debated as "best way to break in a barrel." One thing that seems to resonate with the crowd is the need to dampen the big word stuff: harmonic, distortion, resonation, etc.... A company in Germany manufactures a stylus that resides inside an English Walnut chassis. Pretty little thing with an even fancier $5,000.00 price tag.

-I don't have one of those. Owning one was an idea once, but I'm so tone deaf now from living in a machine shop that it'd be pretty silly anymore.

So, this would be what I'll call "Marker number 1."

Moving back a couple decades now to my introduction to the other three folks. For those who know who they are, the names command respect at the highest levels of organized competitive shooting. Palma, Fullbore, F Class, International Free Rifle, 300m CISM, and International smallbore. This is where my career in this game started.

Wood guns out shoot plastic ones. Mid, Neal, and Bo have all said this to me at some point.

That would be Marker #2.

In 2003 I was the team armorer for the US Palma Team. One of the rifles I built, the blue one on our web site and in my sig block, was done this way. -sorta. I gutted the inlet, took walnut shavings mixed with resin, and made cookie dough. I packed it in the stock, let it cure, then machined it for bedding. That rifle shot well enough (owned by a very dear friend, Charles Clark) to routinely hold 1/3rd MOA elevation at 1,000 yards using metalic iron sights. Maybe its all because of a Mark Chanlynn barrel. Obviously, Charles has a natural ability as well. Regardless, that bedding job I did certainly didn't hurt anything.

I've built rifles like this off/on several times over the years when a client is willing to give me a long leash. Sheri Gallagher, Middelton's daughter showed up late one afternoon 2 days before the 2003 Junior Olympic Tryouts. she was 19 and on fire that year. (she single handedly kicked the snot out of over 50 competitors representing their home countries later that summer during the individual portion of the Palma championships) Sheri had a beat up 2013 Anschutz someone had given her. A friend and I spent the entire night thrashing on that rifle to have it ready for her formal debut into smallbore. We handed it back to her still stinking of barely cured clear coat (she had a thing for purple :) ) David Johnson, the National Rifle Team Coach at the time, did the lot testing and the rifle printed a 9.8mm 50 shot string. FWIW, the hardest hitting smallbore gun I'd ever heard of was a Pat McMillan barreled Annie built by Karl Kenyon that shot a 9.6.

Sheri took a silver at her first ever SB match a few days later. Earned herself a full ride scholarship at the Universtity of Nebraska shooting under the guidance of Launi Meili. She later went to the AMU and later yet, became the first woman into the Army's Golden Knights. I've known her family since her and her sister Michelle were about about 9 or 10 running around rifle ranges in pig tails. :)

In each case these guns responded very favorably. This most recent rimfire project was yet another product of all this. The folks from Vudoo and I have a very good relationship. We do quite a bit of work together. When this opportunity rose, they were all for it.

So, we went for it. The client was skeptical. The first outing seemed to dampen his reluctance as I'm told he cleaned house on his peers at a local match. The icing on this cake is that he did it with a loaded magazine. That is near blasphemy in rimfire benchrest. The respectful nod there goes to two other folk, Mr. Mike Bush and my very good friend, Ken Frankel. Two extremely sharp individuals that I've come to respect deeply. I'm very fortunate to call them friends. It's not often you find a rimfire that'll run from a magazine and not chew up the driving bands on a bullet. That challenge is known to cause flyers in smallbore. -Why you never see it in Olympic stuff.

In conclusion:

Take all of this with salt. I have, nor offer, any conclusive supporting evidence that this wood thing really works. It's just something I've done over the years off/on based on everything you just read. If nothing else, its a great way to generate a good debate at a shooting bench. That alone is worth it in my book cause if you can get into a competitor's head, they are thinking about you and not shooting. :)

C.

Mr. Dixon, how does this type of bedding fare in different types of elements? (rain, cold, hot, etc.) Just curious how it works as opposed to conventional glass bedding?

Ben

See? This is why I was patient enough for Chadwick to tell you guys about it, I can't tell the story like that....

I've spent a lot of time turning this over in my head since Chad and I discussed it during one of my long waits in an airport. What intrigued me the most is the turntable stylus chassis being walnut. The first thing I considered is the frequency range the human ear is listening to and coupling that to the studies I've done on the frequency of recoil. Yes, recoil has a frequency....This is why I'm sending one of my builds to Chad to do the surfaced walnut "bedding." The last of the parts I needed from Area419 are here and it's going out tomorrow. I've been designing and building guns for a long time, for a lot of different people/companies and haven't been this giddy about a rifle in, I can't remember when....

MB

Last edited:
Reactions: Sieg
Yep, we've been doing it for a while, it's called the, Black Magic. One of the Lapua guys has this build and loves it....

MB
When I get some more money I would like to do one of these. Can't decide. I guess the bottom one is called Accuracy Internationals "Fawn Green" but I guess they never made that color.

Attachments

• pix877864721.jpg
    pix877864721.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 103
  • pix530738148.jpg
    pix530738148.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 105
  • pix300710167.jpg
    pix300710167.jpg
    78.3 KB · Views: 93
Mr. Dixon, how does this type of bedding fare in different types of elements? (rain, cold, hot, etc.) Just curious how it works as opposed to conventional glass bedding?

Ben

I don't know. Wood is organic. Is there enough wood present here to make an influence? Maybe. Like I said, I don't know.

We'll see. Soon as Mike gets his crap in here we'll have two examples to go from. I'll be sure to ferk his up good. :)

I don't know. Wood is organic. Is there enough wood present here to make an influence? Maybe. Like I said, I don't know.

We'll see. Soon as Mike gets his crap in here we'll have two examples to go from. I'll be sure to ferk his up good. :)

Hilarious :ROFLMAO:....just printed the UPS label and dropping it off shortly....

MB

My V22 is here. I m tickled pink. What a professional package. My rifle is—
Ravage, Renegade stock olive/black
22” Bartlin Barreled, Kukti Contour
20 mos base
Melonited action, stainless barrel
Lg. tactical knob
Trigger Tech Diamond- straight shoe
With the Vudoo custom case
Wow what a package. I’m 82 and have bought a lot of rifles in my time and this is the top of the heap!!!!!
Thanks everyone from Vudoo for their quality and service to me
Sincerely, John E Rupert

Interested in what velocity you are going to get with a 22in barrel. I have an 18in. and I am getting 1097 with Lapua X-Act.

Wood parallel to grain has a lower growth coefficient than aluminum. But slightly higher perpendicular to the grain. Where I believe the Walnut bedding will have the advantage is the damping properties that are greater than aluminum. I really like the idea of the 3D inlets. But my Vudoo and Mausingfield are both in Manners carbons with the mini chassis, and shoot very well.

Wood parallel to grain has a lower growth coefficient than aluminum. But slightly higher perpendicular to the grain. Where I believe the Walnut bedding will have the advantage is the damping properties that are greater than aluminum.

^^^^This, right here. Remember that frequency thing I mentioned?

Thanks, Missed.

MB

Reactions: Sieg
Resonant frequencies can be be a challenge. It's impressive when you can have a certain flow rates in a system that wants to tear the system apart, slight change up or down, and move out of the resonant frequency and it's happy again. This applies to every machine, guns, bridges, power plants..... thanks I deal with them on industrial systems. Chad's all carbon stock should be really slick. Ultra low growth coE but still has flexibility. I want one of them, maybe next year...