• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Vudoo Gun Works V-22 Rimfire Bolt Action

For those who shipped their V22's to Lapua testing center, did you just use the original cardboard box that the Vudoo came in or did you buy a larger hard case box? I'm just shipping my barreled action.
It's been about 2yrs; best I remember, I sent mine out to Lapua in Mesa in the original foam padded cardboard box that VGW shipped it to me in.

Reactions: littlepod
It's been about 2yrs; best I remember, I sent mine out to Lapua in Mesa in the original foam padded cardboard box that VGW shipped it to me in.
The box the barreled action comes in is pretty good. The foam is pretty dense too. I wouldn't worry about it getting damaged. Besides, it was already shipped to your dealer in that same box and it is still in one piece, correct? Now if you were sending a scope with it, which isn't necessary, I might want a little more protection. You can always contact them and see what they recommend. Personally, I'm going to make the trip, it looks like it could be a fun day. However, I'm only about and hour and a half away from the Marengo test center. I hope you post your data sheets afterwards so we can see the data.

Gjmen22

The box the barreled action comes in is pretty good. The foam is pretty dense too. I wouldn't worry about it getting damaged. Besides, it was already shipped to your dealer in that same box and it is still in one piece, correct? Now if you were sending a scope with it, which isn't necessary, I might want a little more protection. You can always contact them and see what they recommend. Personally, I'm going to make the trip, it looks like it could be a fun day. However, I'm only about and hour and a half away from the Marengo test center. I hope you post your data sheets afterwards so we can see the data.

Gjmen22
I would've saved a good 30$ shipping the original foam packaging versus a hard case. Lapua told me not to send it in the cardboard as they have seen some get damaged. Oh well. Rather safe than sorry.

Gjmen22
Gjmen22, I drove to the Marengo facility too. I live in Wisconsin, so I stayed the night in a hotel and then drove over the short distance to the facility early in the morning, to meet Luke. I learned a few things from him and we tested my Anchutz 1903 BA. I think you'll like spending the day with him and testing the various lots of ammo. I plan to make the trip again in the fall, after I receive my Vudoo (on order).

Reactions: Gjmen22
Question, is the V-22 specific picatinny scope base aluminum or stainless steel?

Gjmen22

UPS is killing me
40E8D1A8-C0EE-4268-9D3F-16E430E8368C.jpeg
Originally Supposed to be delivered today.

50 and 100yd 6x5’s from tonight both suppressed and unsuppressed. Unsuppressed definitely did better over all, but suppressed is still good enough for the girls I go with 😁 Didn’t help I had AR’s blasting next to me in an indoor range

AVG group size unsuppressed 50yd target: 0.74moa with the smallest being 0.27moa

AVG group size unsuppressed 100yd target: 0.78moa with the smallest being 0.48moa

AVG group size suppressed 50yd target: 0.85moa with the smallest being 0.65moa

AVG group size suppressed 100yd target: 1.05moa with the smallest group being 0.71moa.

View attachment 7361210View attachment 7361211View attachment 7361212View attachment 7361213

Proof carbon fiber 18” barrel
Thunderbeast 22TD for the suppressed shots
Lapua Center X
aiax chassis
ZCO 5-27
Atlas PSR bipod
TT diamond single stage (for now)
Nice shot, dumb question but how did you use Ballistic-X to go multiple group on the same target like that? I have been wondering how for a while.

Nice shot, dumb question but how did you use Ballistic-X to go multiple group on the same target like that? I have been wondering how for a while.
You just use the picture output by BallisticX and move to the next target. You have to do them one at a time.

I had USPS deliver a package BEFORE its estimated delivery date WITHOUT the street numbers on the label yesterday. Street, city, and zip code but NO house numbers.

I had USPS deliver a package BEFORE its estimated delivery date WITHOUT the street numbers on the label yesterday. Street, city, and zip code but NO house numbers.
The regular drivers are good. They gave a lot of temp/fill-in people right now that are not so good.

I would do one target and then use the target I just measured to do the second group and so on and so forth.

I would do one target and then use the target I just measured to do the second group and so on and so forth.
I tried that but every time I exported it, the image would be shrunk and compressed more. It’s too bad, if it left the image alone then this would be a good hack for multiple groups.

I tried that but every time I exported it, the image would be shrunk and compressed more. It’s too bad, if it left the image alone then this would be a good hack for multiple groups.
I just did this target using the described method.
120ABC94-1FA0-4E26-B26F-CE3FBAB21288.jpeg

Any details on what to look for? Just sorting or ?
I don't know where to put this response to this topic of rimfire accuracy so i'll put it here and see where it goes. I have been shooting rimfire s for over 60 years. From cans in a field at 10 years old to IHMSA silhouette to squirrels in season. I've read and listened to anyone that wants to talk or write about rimfire shooting and accuracy. Here is what I have come to believe.Early on ammo was better than the guns. Now the guns are better than the ammo. As important as muzzle velocity, ES, SD are this has much more effect on the center fire game. It has less importance to the rimfire game. In rimfire we care mostly about consistency. Which we have very little control over in our ammo. There are some things we do have control over that are measurable. Rim Thickness and Weight. Why is rim thickness important? How many of you have taken a rimfire round apart? I would ask you to take 10 rounds apart and place them on a paper sheet. Dump out the powder and keep the lead bullet and case with the powder. I think you will be surprised to see how little powder is in each case. Now weigh each bullet an notate the weight on the paper. Now weigh each case and notate that beside each case. You will be amazed at how little powder is in each round and see the difference in the bullet weight. Now i'm sure you are wondering where rim thickness comes into play. Well the largest effect of the firing pin igniting the round comes from the primer compound. The estimate of the primers contribution to the total energy is 60-70 %. So you see that round that has a thicker rim has more primer at the point of ignition. You can tell by looking it's not the powder that's important to the total ignition. How close to the advertised weight is your bullet? That weight difference will make more difference than the difference in powder weight. Now the only thing we can control is rim thickness and weight.I rim gauge and weigh all of my match ammo. not my practice ammo. The rim gauge I use is by Raven Eye Custom at Raveneyecustom.com. I just added a Harbor Freight Digital depth gauge. For weight i use a small scale that can measure grains. Rim thickness goes by ammo brand and lot. usually from .034 to .046. If you rim gauge a box of 50 you will get one or two thicknesses for about 70% of the box. segregate those rim thicknesses and use the other to season your barrel after cleaning. After you rim gauge a brick then weigh each round of the same rim thickness and save the predominate quantity as match ammo. Now you have done all you can do that is under your control for consistency. Shoot all the other ammo that didn't make the cut for practice. You will generally see that higher price ammo has more consistency in the areas we are measuring hence the higher price. If you don't want to do all this work for match performance then you can just pay your money an take your chances. Good luck taking your chances with rimfire ammo!

Reactions: STex and Cuzz
My vudoo made it home today and I got it put together and proceed to shoot 600 rounds through it. Everything thing worked great with the exception of when shooting off a barricade if any pressure gets put on the mag toward the rear from the bag it doesn’t want to feed. Anyone shimmed the back of the mag to counter this?

My vudoo made it home today and I got it put together and proceed to shoot 600 rounds through it. Everything thing worked great with the exception of when shooting off a barricade if any pressure gets put on the mag toward the rear from the bag it doesn’t want to feed. Anyone shimmed the back of the mag to counter this?
What chassis/stock is it in? I've had this problem with my MPAs. A small piece of fuzzy velcro on the front edge of the mag well solved the issue.

What chassis/stock is it in? I've had this problem with my MPAs. A small piece of fuzzy velcro on the front edge of the mag well solved the issue.
It’s in a foundation stock with Hawkins bottom metal. It seems like it needs something on the back side, the side closer to the trigger, to keep forward pressure on it. I’ll try some Velcro and see how it works. It runs flawlessly until a bag pushes back on it. Thank you.

• Wow
Reactions: delfuego
It’s in a foundation stock with Hawkins bottom metal. It seems like it needs something on the back side, the side closer to the trigger, to keep forward pressure on it. I’ll try some Velcro and see how it works. It runs flawlessly until a bag pushes back on it. Thank you.
You may find it isn't so much the need for forward pressure as it is to keep the mag aligned vertically. If the bag is pushing the mag back, putting the velcro on the trigger side pushes the top forward. So the mag is no longer square in the well. But, YMMV. Try both and see what works.

Reactions: CBeck
You may find it isn't so much the need for forward pressure as it is to keep the mag aligned vertically. If the bag is pushing the mag back, putting the velcro on the trigger side pushes the top forward. So the mag is no longer square in the well. But, YMMV. Try both and see what works.
Ideally I would just be filling the space on the trigger side of the mag to prevent it being pushed back when jammed up against something. I’ll report back how it goes. May try it tonight

Are you running an arca rail? If so, put the area 419 barricade stop on it. You’ll never touch the mag on a bag again.

Attachments

• 69C24176-F7CE-40A7-AE5A-C8C3E0BBB438.jpeg
    69C24176-F7CE-40A7-AE5A-C8C3E0BBB438.jpeg
    337.4 KB · Views: 142
I did the same as Abby Kat above. Also the MPA chassis have an adjustable Mag Catch available. One more thing, the Aluminum Mags have a different catch location than my polymer ones. Not alot, but enough. Also they are wider than the polymer... 4Certain

What does everybody use for lubrication on their Vudoo bolt assembly's? Do you use a light grease or oil? I use Krieghoff Gun Glide on my CZ bolt which works really good. But I'm guessing there is a lot more play/tolerance in the CZ then the Vudoo.

Gjmen22

What does everybody use for lubrication on their Vudoo bolt assembly's? Do you use a light grease or oil? I use Krieghoff Gun Glide on my CZ bolt which works really good. But I'm guessing there is a lot more play/tolerance in the CZ then the Vudoo.

Gjmen22
I prefer a light coat of grease on the bolt body making sure I hit the back of the lugs.

Reactions: MPrimo and Gjmen22
I prefer a light coat of grease on the bolt body making sure I hit the back of the lugs.
For years I used Brian Enos Slide Glide for grease on sliding parts and Lubriplate FMO 350 AW Oil for the finer lube points. To me these are the two best petroleum lubrication. In the past 6 months I have started using the FrogLube Paste for grease, FrogLube Extreme for parts that needed more 'flow' and with these, the Frog Lube Super De-greaser. Thus far I have been impressed with how little residue the FrogLube approach accumulates. Used in my 1911's, 2011's, S&W M-41 22 LR. and my Kidd Supergrade 10-22 and Vudoo... So far has been impressive.

For years I used Brian Enos Slide Glide for grease on sliding parts and Lubriplate FMO 350 AW Oil for the finer lube points. To me these are the two best petroleum lubrication. In the past 6 months I have started using the FrogLube Paste for grease, FrogLube Extreme for parts that needed more 'flow' and with these, the Frog Lube Super De-greaser. Thus far I have been impressed with how little residue the FrogLube approach accumulates. Used in my 1911's, 2011's, S&W M-41 22 LR. and my Kidd Supergrade 10-22 and Vudoo... So far has been impressive.
I use Brian Enos Slide Glide for grease on sliding parts bolts and slides. It's "Slicker than snot on a door knob!".

LOL just bought some today from creedmoor sports never shot it before but it people seem to like it and the price is right.
I shoot it in my Kidd Supergrade and my Anschuts 64 MPR and it shoots as good as anything at 50 and 100 yards. That's as far as I've shot so far. Waiting on my Vudoo to get here to go out farther.

Gjmen22

Nothing. I just wipe it clean before and after use. There's no real friction and it's pretty smooth once it's broken it. I did used to wipe a layer of Mobil 1 on and off, leaving a very small film behind. Oil and grease attract dirt and don't allow it to fall off. If it doesn't need lubrication, don't lubricate it. IMO, most bolt guns require zero lube on the bolt assembly.

Reactions: STex and Gjmen22
^^^ me too.
I forgot to oil my bolt after a deep clean a while back, and the action has been slick and clean. My action is the base melonite with a stainless barrel.
I may spray a small bit of Oneshot dry lube at the bolt lugs tommorow. If I remember!!

I don't know where to put this response to this topic of rimfire accuracy so i'll put it here and see where it goes. I have been shooting rimfire s for over 60 years. From cans in a field at 10 years old to IHMSA silhouette to squirrels in season. I've read and listened to anyone that wants to talk or write about rimfire shooting and accuracy. Here is what I have come to believe.Early on ammo was better than the guns. Now the guns are better than the ammo. As important as muzzle velocity, ES, SD are this has much more effect on the center fire game. It has less importance to the rimfire game. In rimfire we care mostly about consistency. Which we have very little control over in our ammo. There are some things we do have control over that are measurable. Rim Thickness and Weight. Why is rim thickness important? How many of you have taken a rimfire round apart? I would ask you to take 10 rounds apart and place them on a paper sheet. Dump out the powder and keep the lead bullet and case with the powder. I think you will be surprised to see how little powder is in each case. Now weigh each bullet an notate the weight on the paper. Now weigh each case and notate that beside each case. You will be amazed at how little powder is in each round and see the difference in the bullet weight. Now i'm sure you are wondering where rim thickness comes into play. Well the largest effect of the firing pin igniting the round comes from the primer compound. The estimate of the primers contribution to the total energy is 60-70 %. So you see that round that has a thicker rim has more primer at the point of ignition. You can tell by looking it's not the powder that's important to the total ignition. How close to the advertised weight is your bullet? That weight difference will make more difference than the difference in powder weight. Now the only thing we can control is rim thickness and weight.I rim gauge and weigh all of my match ammo. not my practice ammo. The rim gauge I use is by Raven Eye Custom at Raveneyecustom.com. I just added a Harbor Freight Digital depth gauge. For weight i use a small scale that can measure grains. Rim thickness goes by ammo brand and lot. usually from .034 to .046. If you rim gauge a box of 50 you will get one or two thicknesses for about 70% of the box. segregate those rim thicknesses and use the other to season your barrel after cleaning. After you rim gauge a brick then weigh each round of the same rim thickness and save the predominate quantity as match ammo. Now you have done all you can do that is under your control for consistency. Shoot all the other ammo that didn't make the cut for practice. You will generally see that higher price ammo has more consistency in the areas we are measuring hence the higher price. If you don't want to do all this work for match performance then you can just pay your money an take your chances. Good luck taking your chances with rimfire ammo!
RNailor2 you convinced me. I ordered a rim gauge by Raven Eye Custom at Raveneyecustom.com as you suggested. Will set up my Digital Depth Gauge and see what I come up with. Thank you for your post. While I have shot quite a bit of 22 LR before, it was always much larger targets. Like a Speed Steel Match with pistols and rifles. Beginning to shoot my Vudoo in Tactical PRS type matches changes the requirements. I moved from CCI 40grain Mini Mags to Eley Black Box Match. Now looking at Benchrest as well, it is a really big deal. Thank you for your thoughts. Good info. 4Certain

I had a similar accuracy problem with my V-22 that I've fortunately corrected. Before I get into the details I want to set the stage.

There's two schools of thought about rimfire barrels, the first is that they don't need cleaning very often or not at all, the second is to shoot their best they need to be as clean as the you can get them. The positional, PRS style shooters, as a general rule fall into the first group, the rimfire benchrest competitors into the second.

I began shooting my V-22 with very little regard to cleaning the barrel ... after about a year of modest maintenance, much like you described, accuracy fell off dramatically. I'd estimate I had four or five thousand rounds down the barrel when accuracy dropped off. I talked to Paul at VGW and considered sending the rifle back to the factory but before I went to that extreme I convinced myself that the drop off was in the barrel and I needed to remove the dreaded "carbon ring". At that point I hadn't added a bore scope to my kit bag.

Here's what I did to solve my problem ... a thorough scrubbing with J-B Clean concentrating on the chamber but treating the entire barrel. Before I used the J-B Clean I used my standard protocol - a soaked Bore Tech Rimfire Blend patch to wet the barrel followed by a brass brush cycled several (5 to 7) times back and forth through the barrel and then wet patches until they come out clean.

Then I used the J-B Clean and followed again with my standard protocol ... I was amazed how dirty the patches were that came out of the barrel. I repeated the standard cleaning once more to make sure I removed any residual J-B Clean and off to the range I went.

My range-day results were far better than I'd seen over the previous three months and I was encouraged that I'd identified the problem and had a solution that would work. By the way, my V-22 wasn't nearly as fun to shoot when the accuracy disappeared - ain't that the reason we buy these rifles anyway?

A couple more thoughts - there's several similar cleaners you can substitute for J-B Clean. Bore Tech makes C4 Carbon Remover and Birchwood Casey makes a Lead Remover and Polishing Cloth. Both are available through Amazon. A fellow Vudoo owner uses the Bore Tech product with great results and it may very well become part of my standard cleaning protocol.

My second thought is that you might consider adding a bore scope to your cleaning protocol. I bought one from Teslong that works very well on rimfire barrels. I scope the bore prior to and after each cleaning to ensure that I've returned the barrel to pristine condition. You just can't see what's going on in your barrel without a scope.

Like I said at the beginning of this post there's two schools of thought on barrel cleaning ... obviously I'm in the benhrest shooter's camp. My shooting is at three yardages, 50, 100 and 200. I participate in monthly competitions at these distances and keep records of my target scores, round count and barrel cleaning. The data I've accumulated has convinced me that a clean barrel is a happy barrel. Sure, you'll have to shoot a few rounds (for me about three) to settle the barrel but then you're back in business with the Vudoo accuracy that always puts a smile on your face.

Hope this helps you and others with similar experiences.
I too use the C-4 Carbon cleaner from Bore Tech and the new 26" long Stainless Steel Teslong USB borescope from Amazon. A great deal for $80. I have seen the dreaded "Carbon Ring". I now use a Nylon bore brush wrapped with a cotton patch soaked in C-4 carbon cleaner on a short piece of cleaning rod attached to my variable speed cordless drill on slow speed. I soak- spin- soak spin and then use a Patch Worm to clean out the carbon. Repeat till the Teslong shows no carbon ring. I pull the dry Patch Worm through the barrel after each range session and keep an eye on the carbon ring with the Teslong borescope.

Good morning Rimfire Friends. I have recently installed a Harrell's Tuner on my Gen 1 Vudoo V22. I tried a host of brakes and had a 100 yard Brake "shoot off". Ten Shots Each. Eley Black Box Match. One sitting. One rifle. Pics attached.

After discussing this with a very good old time gunsmith, he suggested that my 'shoot off' showed that the barrel was indeed affected by 'harmonics' and a tuner might possibly be a benefit. So after some searching I ordered a Harrell's Rimfire Tuner. (GREAT folks to work with; and great equipment. I used the Hopewell Method for setting my tuner. Pics of the process are attached.

So far I am leaving it on my gun. I shot a target the other day at 259 yards. Small Tennis ball sized rock (or smaller) on a large white flat rock slab. Wore it out. I have not shot a Tactical Match since adding the tuner. But from the practicing I have done, it seems to be shooting quite well. The hard thing about that is the Vudoo shoots quite well all by its self! But I am curious. Has anyone else tried a tuner on your Vudoo? And with what kind of results? Thank you for your thoughts. 4Certain

Attachments

• Brake Shoot off..jpg
    Brake Shoot off..jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 162
  • Brakes tried on the Vudoo.jpg
    Brakes tried on the Vudoo.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 158
  • Hopewell Method on Paper.jpg
    Hopewell Method on Paper.jpg
    534.1 KB · Views: 152
  • Hopewell Method for Tuning your Tuner.pdf
    230.1 KB · Views: 230
Reactions: STex
I want the best benchrest trigger available for my Vudoo for benchrest shooting. What are your thoughts on this?
Good evening 17Rupert. I use the Bix n Andy Tac Sport 2 stage on my regular Vudoo Bolt Rifle. I absolutely love it. Best trigger I own, and I have some good ones especially on my Air Rifles. In listening to Mike Bush talk, I think the Flavio Vudoo trigger is going to be absolutely wonderful. that is what I have ordered on my Vudoo V22S Single Shot Benchrest rifle.

The Vudoo Flavio Trigger also has the 90 degree sear which allows the bolt to "Relax" in Mike Bush's words. The Bix n Andy trigger is a 60 degree sear and evidently keeps some sort of pressure on the bolt which does not allow it to relax. No big deal on the Repeater. It is a big deal on the Benchrest, assuming I am understanding what they are saying properly... I think I am. I have listened to the videos numerous times. My best guess, is we will not go wrong by following what they are doing. I trust their research, work and decisions. All the Best. 4Certain

Why is a weapon system with a "relaxed bolt" more accurate than a weapon system with an "unrelaxed" bolt, all else being equal?

Perhaps the experiments will be done, V22S accuracy when trigger is Vudoo/Flavio versus v22S accuracy when trigger is the Bix'n Andy two stage benchrest trigger. Certainly the range of pull weights are different.

I have been lurking here for about a month now and joined on 6/8 and have been reading this thread from the beginning. I have never heard or read such glowing comments about a Company it's People it's Product and Service as I have about Vudoo Gun Works. Been shooting 22 rimfire for 65 years and have been chasing small hole groups for the last 8 years since I retired. Shot Rugers, CZ's, Anschutz's, and a Kidd Supergrade. Couldn't hold off any longer so I called on 6/10 and ordered a V-22 complete rifle from Jill. It could not have gone any smoother. Then I called back a couple of days later for an add on to my order and spoke to Lisa and again it went great also. Now comes the hard part after cogitating about the rifle build. The WAIT! I also got some great recommendations about some fine products that seem to meet everybody's approval. 1. Bore Tech's Carbon Remover and Rimfire Blend. 2.20/20 Concepts Patch Worm. 3. Bore Tech's new V-22 Bore Guide. Now I would like to add one for all of you to try. Have always wanted to have a Bore Scope to see how clean my guns are after I clean them but didn't want to spring for the money. A YouTube video on Bore Scopes I watched feature a USB 26" plug and play Bore Scope camera by Teslong on Amazon for $80. I'll add a link below. It works GREAT! I was able to actually see how well the Bore Tech Carbon Remover really worked in my Kidd barrel chamber. I have ordered a scope and ammo now just waiting.

I did almost the exact same thing RN just about a month after you. Read and read then finally joined- and most importantly ordered. My delivery date is first week of Sept. Just about everything else has been delivered (glass, rings, ammo, etc.). I've enjoyed reading this thread very much and have learned a lot and enjoyed looking at the pics of rifles and targets !

Reactions: T.Kay
Hi Timberhound, Glad I could help. I actually am Greg from Vudoo. Since I get so many questions at the shop on Vudoo Green I figured I’d post up the pictures of my newly completed Vudoo Green rifle to help out. Mike is the point man here on the hide so I prefer to stay quiet so he can do what he does so well without me getting in the way, but if there is anything I can help with please don’t hesitate to reach out to us at the shop.

Greg
Greg was very helpful and had the answers to all my questions when I placed my order!

Reactions: T.Kay
Why is a weapon system with a "relaxed bolt" more accurate than a weapon system with an "unrelaxed" bolt, all else being equal?

Perhaps the experiments will be done, V22S accuracy when trigger is Vudoo/Flavio versus v22S accuracy when trigger is the Bix'n Andy two stage benchrest trigger. Certainly the range of pull weights are different.
Watch the Mike Bush video where he discusses the 90 degree sear. I think it is part of the long series on YouTube.