• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Weighing ammunition

shawn57nomad

Private
Minuteman
Jan 30, 2010
Iowa (God's Country)
Are there any cost effective scales to the alternative $200-500 range and powder scales? Just curious gonna start sorting rimfire ammo from case lots as I am laid-off for a while and have some time on my hands. I am aware that a kitchen scale of sorts is like $20 bucks and 1 Gram = 15.4323584 Grains. Kinda gonna spend some time on the lawn and hone some better skillsets at Top Predator has and others as well. Thank you in advance.

Re: Weighing ammunition

many scales will give gr readings.
whatever it uses to count.
sorting just zero scale with 1 bullet on it. then pile all the 0's +1 -1 +2 -2 +3 -3 until your done. just find a draft free room without floresent lights and leave your cell phone in a different room 20 feet away

i used to use an old (but accurate) balance beam, took WAY to long for it to stop bobbing up and down.

i picked up a digital, frankford arsenal one on sale for under $50. which picked up the speed, and measured against the balance beam, is pretty accurate. drawback is that it is battery operated, but there are ones that have an AC adapter. the good thing about having the battery operated though, is that you can take it with you on the porch, or watching tv while weighing ammo.

i really don't believe you have to dump a large sum of money on one, just make sure it has a grain option.

like badbot said, put a bullet on it, zero out the scale, start seperating by tenths. i like to put little pieces of paper at each pile with the weight written on it just to keep things less confusing. i originally grouped together three or four tenth weights together as an "accurracy lot" but i've found it's better to completely break them out into tenths. the few extreme weighted stragglers that are too few to even get a complete box of ammo i use as foulers.

on a seperate but related topic, i put together a homemade rimthickness gauge:
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthre...140#Post1753140
and i'm hoping that tomorrow will be fair enough weather to test out rim thickness vs. weight.

so far, the numbers are telling me that there is more variation in weight than rim thickness, got to see on paper which one produces better groups / consistancy for me. using match ammo and 2 types of bulk stuff.

i did the weight and rimthickness seperation, but took so long and produced so many ammo groupings, i'd just be better buying wolf with not having to do much of anything to it except load a mag and shoot. that stuff is really consistant in rim thickness and weight, which obviously explains why it shoots so darn good through just about any rifle.

thanks for the mention in your post.
blush.gif

Thank you TP and you are welcome for the mention. You have been at this a while I see and have learned a ton from all of your write-ups here on the Hide. Much appreciated! Did you get the info I posted for your ammo lube situation? Amsoil has got some pretty interesting stuff if you can get it at a local speed shop, atv dealer, or custom shop. Lubriplate, also for some suggestions as far as lubricants for ammo. Read all the technical data for both manufacturers...Seems to be a half dozen choices between the two, other than AGS grease stick at the parts store. Thanks again! Got a buddy going to bring me a case for rim thickness check, super idea!

I think rim thickness is key also and most good ammo will be pretty consistant on that. I think you will find that wind will always be the deciding factor ...Buy or make a good wind flag or get surveyors tape. As much as you have to look for wind direction watching the verticle movement is key as well ..Wind acts a wave around berms targets ect. JMHO

Jim

Let me add that rim thickness shoots well when sorted but it depends on the headspace. Certain thicknesses will shoot better then others soley because of the firing pin strike and the tuning of the rifle