• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Photos weld bend test i just did

Minarix

Sergeant
Minuteman
Apr 30, 2012
US

Attachments

• WP_20140904_001.jpg
    WP_20140904_001.jpg
    266.6 KB · Views: 31
  • WP_20140904_002.jpg
    WP_20140904_002.jpg
    232.9 KB · Views: 29
  • WP_20140904_003.jpg
    WP_20140904_003.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 24
  • WP_20140908_001.jpg
    WP_20140908_001.jpg
    356.9 KB · Views: 17
  • WP_20140908_002.jpg
    WP_20140908_002.jpg
    291.2 KB · Views: 26
Last edited:
3/8" plate, vertical uphill stick, E7018 1/8 rod, Double stringer root pass 103 amps, weave hot pass 95 amps, stringers rest of the way out 97 amps with a 5 stringer cap. In-house bender system we use roughs up the edges abit.

http://www.snipershide.com/shooting...reads/264210-some-welds-ive-been-working.html

^ previous welds i've been working on

What's funny is I know what all that means..... Prolly not too many rod burners on here. I've been welding since I was 13yrs old. My dad was a cross country pipeliner for many years.

What's funny is I know what all that means..... Prolly not too many rod burners on here. I've been welding since I was 13yrs old. My dad was a cross country pipeliner for many years.

right on man, i'm working on doing it all stick tig flux, when i finish school in may plan in going back to the boilermakers.

Used to work for great dane trailers building reefers mild steel/stainless, and also worked for jcb doing mig spray transfer on tractors but wasnt much money in it.

Your plates look good.
Did I see some pin holes from the side view?
Bend test is good for structural stuff next is radiography where nothing can hide!
Good luck.

1976, vocational school, did my first 7018 bend test.
Worked as a welder for 4 years then went in the Navy. 2 years structural steel, 2 years tanks and other stuff (Boiler makers union shop).
Kept getting laid off every winter.
I imagine things are much better now but back in the day we rarely used hearing protection (Even grinding!) and the only forced ventilation I ever saw was in school (how about breathing that green smoke from welding galvanized steel!).
I have a Miller bobcat for sticking things together and still make things. Can I pass a 3/8 plate vertical up, overhead or 45 degree pipe test today, not so much.

Last edited:
Your plates look good.
Bend test is good for structural stuff next is radiography where nothing can hide!
Good luck.

Worked as a welder for 4 years then went in the Navy. 2 years structural steel, 2 years tanks and other stuff (Boiler makers union shop).
I imagine things are much better now but back in the day we rarely used hearing protection (Even grinding!) and the only forced ventilation I ever saw was in school (how about breathing that green smoke from welding galvanized steel!).
I have a Miller bobcat for sticking things together and still make things. Can I pass a 3/8 plate vertical up, overhead or 45 degree pipe test today, not so much.

Looks like a few little spots in his cap and 2 in the side view of the bend. Not bad though.

I had a little trouble with my overhead letting my arc get a little long with one of my plate tests. I was tiging the root and hot pass and then 7018 out. Maybe run the brush over it a little more to clean up between passes and pay attention to keeping the arc length perfect and those little voids will be gone. Looks pretty good though.

I remember doing the bend tests when learning to weld with oxy/acetylene. I was just to the point of stick welding pipe when I gave up on my plumbers apprenticeship due to lack of work. It was the best thing I got out of the schooling and use those skills to build mechanics trucks and lube trucks. I wouldn't mind doing it full time if there was more money in it without traveling on the pipeline. I worked as a mechanic on the pipeline for 3 1/2 years and know that there is a lot of money to be made as a welder.

the one who you can see really good on the side is actually from were i took a metal scribe, and put a mark on it so i knew were to place it on the bender, the one on the cap is actually from a spot were i had slight undercut, and i din't grind enough down into it, i ran my last stringer fairly hot and abit to sharp of a again burning into the previous stringer, but the CWI said it passed visual so thats good i reckon. as this was just a in-house bend so i din't really care which way the grind marks went, which they say if it runs with the weld it gives it a greater chance to fail. i used a wirewheel to get all the slag out - yea i know thats cheating-
and yea man galvanized is the worst, i used to work for great dane trailers building reefers, and we ran galv pipes through the fifth wheel, would litterally have to hold your breath as you welded it.

We got a instructor here who also happens to be a CWI - certified welding inspector, he told me to go ahead and do my 3/8 and 1" plates and send them off to a AWS testing facility to get the paperwork for em.

the one here is a uphill MIG bend, and as you can see i'm rather lazy when it comes to polishing up before bending.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd....786_693647764035491_8994531937831266472_n.jpg

In about a week or two i will have another photo for you guys to see we are going to lay down multi-pass flat welds, then lay horizon, vert, then overhead over them, cut it in half and see how the welds stack going out, kinda like if you think of the earths core and all its layers, i'm really excited about that one, as it will show me what position is my weakest, and what needs to be improved on.

Your plates look good.
Good luck.

Last edited:
Another rod burner here. Pipefitters by trade but building off-roading trucks is what got me into it. We don't really do to many bend test, ours are mostly X-ray. I've always heard it was harder to pass a bend test though. Looks great!

I'm a welder also, mostly light gage stainless and stainless dual sheild flux. Haven't ran stick in awhile, kinda miss it. Just curious, was the root done with 7018? Is 7018 a good root rod? I may be getting 7018 mixed up with another rod, 7024 maybe??? I'm thinking 7018 has a white coating and usually kept in an oven

7018, we called "Low Hydrogen" back in the day, was the standard for most any/all serious mild steel welding where a 70,000 psi tensile all position (what the "1" stand for in 7018) rod was needed. It also has pretty good abrasion qualities. Back in the day it was DC- only but today they make AC rods. 7024, we called "Jet Rods", they were limited to flat/horizontal (the "2" in 7024) and were so easy to weld with flat you could coil the stinger cable and sit the rod on the work and let go. They have really think flux that can contact the work and maintains the rod to work distance. A monkey could burn them. 7018 were kept in the oven as moisture would cause the flux to flake off while welding.

In the movie "no country for old men" woody is asking the main character about being a welder. I just thought it was funny because few would know what the significance of welding cast iron.
found the clip
No Country for Old Men (6/11) Movie CLIP - His Name's Chigurh (2007) HD - YouTube
Back in the day to call yourself a welder you had to be able to stick weld cast iron with a "Nickel" rod and cut/Tig weld a beer can(steel) back together in addition to the normal test welds.

I'm a welder also, mostly light gage stainless and stainless dual sheild flux. Haven't ran stick in awhile, kinda miss it. Just curious, was the root done with 7018? Is 7018 a good root rod? I may be getting 7018 mixed up with another rod, 7024 maybe??? I'm thinking 7018 has a white coating and usually kept in an oven

Last edited:
Yes low hydrogen! 7018 was my favorite rod to weld with, runs smooth. The only rod I used that ran smoother was stainless rod. 98% of my welding is tig, I should burn some rod up one of these days, see if I still have it

updated op with a vert stick run i did why down at the union hall, not my best cap has slight undercut for running to hot not letting plate cool, and i have one low spot.

I started tig not too long ago. This is a pic of my first overhead just before cutting my bend test tickets out. Once you start tigging, you will almost never want to pick up a rod again. Haha

Attachments

• IMG_20131112_172330_907.jpg
    IMG_20131112_172330_907.jpg
    1,004.2 KB · Views: 16
I weld sometimes helping buddies out when they get jammed up and need a welder for a few days. BUT I make my living as an NDE tech. I work on pretty much anything you can think up made from metal and some stuff that's not metal LOL. Those tig welds look decent. Keep at it hood time and you'll get it. (Edit I didn't realize they were overhead. They look damn good)

Last edited:
Did you say a stainless rod burns better than a 7018 lol. I despise stainless rods with a passion. If I can sneak some pics from work I will try. Gotta love a 6g extra extra heavy wall pipe test.

Check out that welder qual. Mil Std for navy. I don't remember what the process was. If it was anything but automated I would hate to be that welder.

I weld sometimes helping buddies out when they get jammed up and need a welder for a few days. BUT I make my living as an NDE tech. I work on pretty much anything you can think up made from metal and some stuff that's not metal LOL. Those tig welds look decent. Keep at it hood time and you'll get it. (Edit I didn't realize they were overhead. They look damn good)

Thanks for the kind words. That's with a full week of time behind a tig machine. Haha. Passed the bend test just fine but it is nowhere near what most of the guys with real time under the hood can do. Not too bad for an engineer though.

I went to school for it in 2015. I wish I would have got certified just to show I can do it. I would have but, it sucks it's only good for 6mo and have to pay all that money to keep up on it would suck (since I don't do it for a living). I was going to do the 2G unlimited thickness for SMAW and GMAW. I passed them in class, but we all know that doesn't count.

Had my 3G and 4G DOT cert in high school, got 6G shortly after high school working construction in steel mills. Haven't welded for a living in 10 years, but it's nice to have something to fall back should the need arise.

Glad to see some welders on here. My old man was a sheet metal worker by trade until he started working for a power company. Im a technician at a gas plant in Oregon and we are always bringing contractor welders in to fix shit for us from different crafts whether they are iron workers, boilermakers, pipe fitters, etc. Definately a trade we will always need!

Ah the bend tests. Takes me back a little ways. Not able to zoom in on your pictures but congratulations. Last welding test I took was bucyrus Erie tubular boom. If I remember right it was 16" pipe 1" thick. Took 6 hours from prep to blend. We use a special 80,000 psi hard wire for these booms. UT and x-ray and you can't have no shit no where. What a bitch of a test.

You're going well. Welding is the only thing I ever went to school for - after high school. Probably the most useful thing I've ever learnt.
Was taught by a little Indian guy who could hardly speak English - but he was fluent in cuss words.
Got certified in oxy/acetylene small bore all position pipe, all position stick welding pipe, and structural.
Did it a while, and looked around at all the 40 year old guys with bad backs and lung problems, so started machining.
Now I fix stuff (mainly other's f-ups) which involves a lot of TIG. Only work on little stuff. The wire squirters do make a mess.

I've really been tempted to sign up for community college welding classes. It's definitely something I wish I knew the basics of, but I know I'd never have actual SKILLS