• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What 22lr ammo should I be looking at?

Genin

Sergeant
Minuteman
Feb 18, 2004
Williamsport, Pa
Hello,
So I got my first “real” 22lr trainer. I went with the Bergara B14r Carbon in LH. A local shop had a great deal on it since it was their last in stock and were just looking to move supply (guess it sat for a while). I went with Talley 30moa base, vortex match pro rings, a Burris xtr iii 3.3-18 illuminated, SRS 4” arca rail since it installs right in the sling studs so you just have to unscrew sling studs and put on rail and screw back in. Waiting on the Burris to come in and it’ll be ready to rock.

Question, what ammo are you fellas using for your 22lr long range and accurate shooting?

Thanks.

IMG-7892.jpg

I have that exact rifle also a LH and it shoots SK Match / RWS 50 and CenterX all good enough to go compete with….but at 100+ the CenterX definitely shot more consistently.
I put a full length ARCA and Bix-N-Andy two stage trigger from getgo and it’s been fun to play and learn NRL/ PRS with.
Very difficult to get it to balance in that configuration so it’s my backup and or squirrel rifle now.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ghost231 and Genin
My CZ likes Lapua, of course, a few of the SK's, and after a thousand or so rounds, I'm on the fence with Eley stuff.
The problem with rimfire stuff is how lot-dependent the ammo can be. Two of the same brand, but different lots, one can shoot like a scatter gun and the other drives tacks......
It is indeed a 'rabbit-hole'......and now you're in it !;)
Some people like Norma Tac-22's. I found a good lot of that once, but only once.
It's tough to find an inexpensive ammo that shoots well. But it is fun to search......These days, the better ammos are in short supply, but they occasionally become available. Availability doesn't last long however.....
Nice rifle, enjoy it !

Reactions: Genin
Benchrest competition quality 22lr will provide better and more consistent results.
At extended range, any cartridge defect or velocity difference causes trajectory shifts.
It's tough enough dealing with wind and body mechanics when shooting 100 yards or more.
Don't allow poorly made cartridges to cause you grief as well.

Try the best from Eley, Lapua, RWS or Fiocchi Italia.

Reactions: RayDBonz and Genin
Norma 22 Match (made by RWS) for practice. SK Standard +, Rifle Match, Biathlon, and LR Match for matches. Issue is lot to lot variation - I buy a brick or two at a time and some lots are great and some lots are mediocre - mediocre lots = practice. I got a great lot of Norma 22 Match and I used it for matches until consumed.

I got tired of chasing Center X.

Thank you for all the responses. I’m making a list and will order some of the ones I can find. I’ll then find which one my rifle likes most and see if I can’t get some bricks.

Thank you for all the responses. I’m making a list and will order some of the ones I can find. I’ll then find which one my rifle likes most and see if I can’t get some bricks.
Use 100 yard groups as indicator for PRS 22 matches. Anything shoots good at 25 yards, most shoot good at 50 yards - 100 yards shows the difference for me. I want sub 2 inch groups with 10 shots at 100 yards - with ammo variability, that is rarer than it sounds. Most 22 ammo (lot variance) will have at least 2 flyers at 2 inches at 100.

Not the same rifle but I recently dove into the 22lr precision game with my 3 CZ rifles. Lapua Center X shot very well but is almost nonexistent on the market so I have stopped looking until maybe someday it comes back to market in decent quantities. Dang near everything SK shoots extremely well with Standard Plus and Long Range Match being the best. None of my rifles like anything Eley and all I can attribute that to is the different bullet lube. Lapua and SK are a wet/waxy lube and Eley is dry. Shooting Eley immediately after the other 2 brands, without cleaning, resulted in huge groups of the 3" variety at 50 yards for me. The lubes are not at all compatible with one another in a fouled barrel. YMMV.

I would echo the above and try as many brands and types of ammo as you can at both 50 and 100 yards. The real difference that I have noticed is the consistency of a particular ammo through a particular rifle. Most good 22 LR ammo will perform well but some will produce smaller and more consistent groups out of a given barrel.

My Annie 64 loves SK Rifle Match and Wolf Match Extra along with RWS 50 and Eley. As @WileyG stated above, lubes are not compatible in a fouled barrel so make sure you clean the barrel when switching. I do so even if the lubes are of the same type (waxy versus dry). I use a few rounds to foul the barrel and then I shoot a few strings of 6x5s at 50 and 100 yards.

The most expensive ammo is not always the best performing

I have 2 B14R steel. Top ammo for both is SK Long Range, then Eley Club, then SK Biathlon. I have Norma Tac22 and CCI SV, they do well out to 150 yds, but you see more vertical past that. Eley Contact does the best for the cheap ammo ($5.25 / box ).

Plan to spend 10-15 cents a round for decent results past 50-75 yards.
Or more. It's a rabbit hole for sure. My best results and most consistent ammo seems to hover at 24 to 30 cents per round and I don't gain enough to justify the expense of getting on up into 40 to 65 cent per round ammo that I have tried and still have some on hand.

Thank you all. Where the hell do I find SK in stock Lmao?
Bookmark Ammoseek if you haven't already and then bookmark the vendors listed in there that show up as stocking the ammo that you want. That site scans the web for instock ammo of all kinds. Set your search criteria on their page and submit. Also, they won't necessarily have all vendors that have stock so web searching for specific ammo and saving sites that stock is a good idea even if they're out of stock now. For over 6 months the best 22 ammo has been in short supply. You gotta be quick when it shows up but beware of the gougers. I found some SK LRM on here yesterday at a good price and was glad to have checked in less than an hour after it was posted.

AND, another site for great rimfire info and feedback is rimfirecentral.com It's almost mandatory ;)

Last edited:
Just saw this after posting on a b14r related ammo post.
Example groups below, CCI SV shot well out to 200yds and was tightest in the chamber (would not extract an informed cartridge when chambered).
YMMV, happy shooting.
IMG_2911.jpeg
IMG_2912.jpeg

CCI SV has been my favorite 22lr ammo for hunting and plinking for a couple of decades. It's accurate and reliable in every 22 that I have. And it's subsonic which makes for very good suppressed shooting. I stocked up pre-election 2008 before prices went crazy and probably will never need any more.

This is what shoots good in my Vudoo 22 in order
1. Lapua SLR/LR it makes no difference I did 3 blind tests.
2 RWS 100
3 Lapua Polar Biathlon
4 Lapua Pistol King
5 RWS 50
6 RWS Rifle Match
7 Norma Tac22 match
8 CCI Standard
9 Wolf Match Target
10 Aguila Super Extra

I've got a bergara b14r and sk standard + and long range match have both shot well. CCI SV does ok, not quite as tight of a group and more flyers at distance.

AmmoSeek works to some degree, though some of the smaller, niche yet quality stores won't show up. So also some good old fashioned Google. Also worth it to leave your e-mail for future notices.

For 50 and in, Norma Tac-22 does just fine for me. For say 100 and out, some combo of SK Long Range, Lapua Center X and Long Range so far. Haven't gotten around to trying out RWS or Eley yet, the others have been working for me. Some combo of PRS/NRL getting popular and COVID has made it rather hard to find most of them in stock with any regularity. Seems like a few smaller places will have in bricks of say 10-15% more than others, though still in stock. Then shipping adds another $18 or so onto it. So say Lapua Long Range at $16/box is $0.32/round.

It's funny, my 9mm is cheaper to run than my 22lr at this point (at least for their intended uses.)

I’ve tried a few different types of match ammo but keep coming back to CCI SV.
Not because it’s great but because it’s cheap and more importantly readily available.

I was shooting SK match but the 2nd batch didn’t shoot as well as the first batch I had.
I tried Eley Club which again shot amazing, then changed batches and shot like complete shite (like worse bulk HV ammo shite).

Whereas SV shoots pretty well out to 100yards, good enough 100-175yards and then get dodgy high/low fliers after that. If you are shooting mostly inside 100yards then just stick with cheap match ammo.
If you are shooting 200yards + frequently then spend the time to find decent shooting ammo.

Unless you match your rifle and Lot#, I don’t try various brands but stick with Eley 10X for Bolt guns and Eley Benchrest Precision for 10/22 Match rifles.
I have a 1&1/2 cases of the Eley CMP left which is used for practice and sight in with my bolt guns.
For Benchrest Precision I have a case of Eley Outlaw for practice but have yet to use it.
I just purchased two bricks of Lapua Super Long Range and have few bricks of SK Long Range.
Since we have a 200 yd scoped League coming up late this summer, I will try these two on my 52D with Weaver T36.
Frankly the wind will negate any perceived accuracy gain at 200 yds outdoors.
KISS!
-Richard

Unless you match your rifle and Lot#, I don’t try various brands but stick with Eley 10X for Bolt guns and Eley Benchrest Precision for 10/22 Match rifles.
I have a 1&1/2 cases of the Eley CMP left which is used for practice and sight in with my bolt guns.
For Benchrest Precision I have a case of Eley Outlaw for practice but have yet to use it.
I just purchased two bricks of Lapua Super Long Range and have few bricks of SK Long Range.
Since we have a 200 yd scoped League coming up late this summer, I will try these two on my 52D with Weaver T36.
Frankly the wind will negate any perceived accuracy gain at 200 yds outdoors.
KISS!
-Richard
My b14r likes SK lrm way more than eley tenex. For some reason, tenex shoots as well as sk std+ in my rifle.

Reactions: WileyG and Genin
The scope came in and is now mounted. You know I heard that the knurling on these Burris are extreme but damn if that stiff parallax knob and the knurling doesn’t actually freaking hurt lol.

Hope to get to the range soon and shoot this bad boy. Looks good as a whole package.

IMG-7979.jpg

Reactions: FuhQ
Headspace needs are usually tighter for Eley.
For what it's worth, while many smiths may set headspace to a customer's reasonable and safe wishes, a lot of very experienced .22LR rifle builders (and shooters) set headspace at .043", which is also the specs set by both SAAMI and CIP. The consensus seems to be that shorter headspace doesn't improve accuracy with Eley ammos and often results in hard chambering with Lapua.

Bill Calfee, for example, often said he bled "Eley red" for favoring the brand yet set his headspace at .043".

For what it's worth, while many smiths may set headspace to a customer's reasonable and safe wishes, a lot of very experienced .22LR rifle builders (and shooters) set headspace at .043", which is also the specs set by both SAAMI and CIP. The consensus seems to be that shorter headspace doesn't improve accuracy with Eley ammos and often results in hard chambering with Lapua.

Bill Calfee, for example, often said he bled "Eley red" for favoring the brand yet set his headspace at .043".
I have moved from using a variety of ammunition to one at a time, so being able to shoot several brands without adjusting headspace is not something I need. I’ve got a couple cases to shoot. Also, I don’t need BR accuracy. The next barrel will have a barrel nut also.

Well my friends! This baby can shoooooooot!!!! Holy crap! Set up a target on my local rifle range at 50 yards (spray painted orange and then sharpied a black dot in the middle of each for aim point). Needless to say the groups (5 shot groups) were fantastic. Lots of same hole with one or two slightly outside of it. Looks like CCI SV and Fiochi field dynamics are the best shooters out of my 22lr with CCI mini mag, browning match, and federal target being just decent.

Sorry they aren’t labeled but CCI SV is on the left and the Fiocci FD is all the way right.
IMG-8022.jpg

IMG-8027.jpg

We then shot at a steel chicken at 200 yards and a steel 1/4 pig at 300 yards. It was hilarious to dial 46 MOA for 300!!! I mean holy crap lol. It hits very consistently, even with minor wind gusts. So much fun.

Well my friends! This baby can shoooooooot!!!! Holy crap! Set up a target on my local rifle range at 50 yards (spray painted orange and then sharpied a black dot in the middle of each for aim point). Needless to say the groups (5 shot groups) were fantastic. Lots of same hole with one or two slightly outside of it. Looks like CCI SV and Fiochi field dynamics are the best shooters out of my 22lr with CCI mini mag, browning match, and federal target being just decent.

Sorry they aren’t labeled but CCI SV is on the left and the Fiocci FD is all the way right.
IMG-8022.jpg

IMG-8027.jpg

We then shot at a steel chicken at 200 yards and a steel 1/4 pig at 300 yards. It was hilarious to dial 46 MOA for 300!!! I mean holy crap lol. It hits very consistently, even with minor wind gusts. So much fun.
Yes, the CCI SV shoots well in general but I experienced a flier, one every 6 or 7 rounds.

Out of curiosity, did any of the subsonic ammo you tested extract a non fired cartridge? CCI SV was the only one in my testing that didn’t and want to test the theory of a tight chambering equals more accuracy at 50yds and in.

Cheers and Happy Shooting

Yes, the CCI SV shoots well in general but I experienced a flier, one every 6 or 7 rounds.

Out of curiosity, did any of the subsonic ammo you tested extract a non fired cartridge? CCI SV was the only one in my testing that didn’t and want to test the theory of a tight chambering equals more accuracy at 50yds and in.

Cheers and Happy Shooting
Weird you ask that question, I did not test it with any others, but I did try to unload a browning round unfired and it would not extract. Figured it was a fluke and lightly pried it out. Didn’t test it any further, but maybe it does have a tight chamber.

Unable to extract an unfired cartridge?
Normal for many precision cut chambers.
When fully seated, the bullet engages the rifling.
Actually is engraved by the lands.
Extraction of the brass requires firing the cartridge.
Don't load one unless you are going to shoot it

Unable to extract an unfired cartridge?
Normal for many precision cut chambers.
When fully seated, the bullet engages the rifling.
Actually is engraved by the lands.
Extraction of the brass requires firing the cartridge.
Don't load one unless you are going to shoot it
Yup, agree.
I tested each variety to see if it would extract because a dud during a match or unexpected ceasefire can be a giant pain if you don't have a tool to dig it out.
An US spec 22 bullet sometimes fits snug on the euro spec 22 bore giving it a slightly undersized chamber relative to the bigger bullet which may contribute to some close range accuracy. Go beyond 50y and bullet uniformity, primer and powder consistency etc starts to take over.

YMMV, happy shooting

Confirmed at 100 and 200 yards today on fancy paper plate targets before going back to steel. Seems to shoot just about MOA at range. Here’s an example of 100 yard groups (2 of them) and a 200 yard group. All of these were shot with CCI SV since I have a whole bunch of it and this rifle likes it well enough.

IMG-8036.jpg

IMG-8037.jpg

IMG-8039.jpg

Worth noting this was right before a massive thunderstorm rolled in and there were some impressive wind gusts at times. Definitely affects these 22 rounds at range

Question, what ammo are you fellas using for your 22lr long range and accurate shooting?
Don't ask us, ask your rifle. Make a date with it, buy a charcuterie board of mid-to high quality ammo and see what happens.

I’m lucky. My quad pretty much likes everything I’ve shot out of it. Some being better than others but at 100 it will consistently hit id say it’s approximately a 2” steel target at the range I belong to. (I’ve never measured the target give or take ) I don’t give a shit because I don’t shoot Benchrest. I would say it does like Wolf the best.