• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

Damn! Must be good… looks like it’s empty

Matt
Just the picture. 1/3 left but scored another today at the local ABC store!!! There’s two left with one per day limit so gonna try and snag another tomorrow. 😎

Been nursing this bottle for 2 years, much nicer than usual Macallans.

CD74E332-3063-49F9-8715-31C71EA6ED1E.jpeg

• Love
Reactions: pk5333 and db2000
Down to my last unopened bottle. Went through these pretty quickly early on 🤦‍♂️🤣🍻 luckily have multiples of the other Editions.

I guess I cant complain I got it at the exchange for $82 on clearance.

Is that Winter Blend as legit as they say? I love higher end agave but man it makes me do some dumb shit.

I guess I cant complain I got it at the exchange for $82 on clearance.

Is that Winter Blend as legit as they say? I love higher end agave but man it makes me do some dumb shit.
That’s dirt cheap. I paid $99 initially and the last price for the 6th Ed was about $150 in VA. Winter Blend is delicious. I usually drink it neat but thought what the hell

Tuesday, digging through the opens.
Damn this is a good one.
DE96790E-F212-4630-A4A0-8A23E8E1A380.jpeg

Fill a large glass with ice.
Add 2 ounces Lunazul Blanco tequila
Add 1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
Add 1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
Fill glass with Fresca.

DC5842D7-1D60-4044-8A9E-A93ACFA7A84B.jpeg

Then make another.

Reactions: db2000
Fill a large glass with ice.
Add 2 ounces Lunazul Blanco tequila
Add 1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
Add 1 oz fresh squeezed lemon juice
Fill glass with Fresca.

View attachment 7906882

Then make another.
I think Lunazul may be one of the best bang for buck tequilas that are easily accessible. The Anejo is almost as good as many 2-3x it’s price. Especially when mixing it. Blanco and Reposado too.

Damn. Got this outta of shear intrigue. Turns out it’s delicious. Very sweet though with mild peaty smoke. Like a Japanese scotch style whisky such as Kavalan port barrel finish. 🤤
CFA670C7-3817-4145-A08A-6474A17BB36C.jpeg

8E257E40-5B8D-4339-ADDF-975DF6918A35.jpeg

Nice! Sadly any Spanish Brandy available in my area is nowhere near that old.

When the whiskey boom started 10ish years ago there was a lot of very old brandy available at decent prices in California that people were snapping up chasing stuff that was aged.

Nice! Sadly any Spanish Brandy available in my area is nowhere near that old.

When the whiskey boom started 10ish years ago there was a lot of very old brandy available at decent prices in California that people were snapping up chasing stuff that was aged.
It was a random find at a VA ABC store. The hunt for bourbon has gotten crazy. I guess anything with trade value goes quick too. I see people that have made a profession out of “flipping”.

The regular places offered me Blantons, Eagle Rare and Buffalo Trace. They were shocked when I said thanks but I’m all set. Let someone else that don’t have any get it… now they offer me the better stuff that comes in… they know I’m not flipping it. I also told them if they get anything like BTAC I’d buy it for a fair price and give them a Pour.

Reactions: db2000 and 6.5SH
Any thought on this one. I have not tried any.

image000000.jpg

Concerns me it's some of the watered down blended crap even though it says 100% rye.

Since it was not bottled in the US.

Any thought on this one. I have not tried any.

View attachment 7907957

Concerns me it's some of the watered down blended crap even though it says 100% rye.

Since it was not bottled in the US.
Well glad I pounced on it, buddy says it was missing on the shelf for a long time.

Distilled in canada bottled in the US and is in fact 100 % rye.

Reactions: 6.5SH
Ya very smooth.

Trying to save some for my wife but - smooth.

Creek water only because the neighbor hadn't been able to peddle it at his bar,he gave me 5 cases mid covid. After not dying from covid 2 years later I refused to buy anymore alcohol until I finished my end of the world supply. So its down to Creek Water or nothing. Amazing how good it taste compared to nothing.

Russell’s Reserve Store Pick. Will report back shortly…

Edit: this is why I love this stuff! Rich, full body Bourbon, cola notes, leather, char and the particular Sweetness, oily and coats your pallet. Glad I have 3 of these. I just finished a regular Russell’s Reserve Single Barrel and this store pick is truly amazing!

826138B7-7C22-4C43-8066-2B69E0209290.jpeg
D62361C9-5796-419C-AA33-0DFF7A3E6C16.jpeg

Last edited:
Bummer I just got into rye recently.

Have a bottle of the st patricks day bonded bourbon that is smooth.
My wife like a lot.

Was hoping to try thier rye guess there is no point chasing a declining recourse.

Will tell my provider never mind.

Last edited:
Ah, dont get angry... Plenty of fantastic Rye's & Bourbons out there. Do yourself a favor and take your wife to a Bourbon/Rye Bar and spend some money on a few Pours. Find out what you like and go from there. Also check out the Bourbon Junkies, ADHD Whiskey and The Mash & Drum on youtube. You can learn alot and find out what you like. Plus it helps with being able to properly describe how you pallet the juice...

Yeah, Kentucky Owl are only releasing 4 batches. From my research they are all way above average. Dixon Dedman did a fantastic job. He blended each batch to have its own thing going on... wasnt going to make all the batchs the same.

Ah, dont get angry... Plenty of fantastic Rye's & Bourbons out there. Do yourself a favor and take your wife to a Bourbon/Rye Bar and spend some money on a few Pours. Find out what you like and go from there. Also check out the Bourbon Junkies, ADHD Whiskey and The Mash & Drum on youtube. You can learn alot and find out what you like. Plus it helps with being able to properly describe how you pallet the juice...

Yeah, Kentucky Owl are only releasing 4 batches. From my research they are all way above average. Dixon Dedman did a fantastic job. He blended each batch to have its own thing going on... wasnt going to make all the batchs the same.
Ya the wife prefers tequila, good tequila.

I get plenty of the top shelf whiskey / bourbon tastings from my buddy that is the buyer for a lls.

I / we steer away from requesting the expensive bottles for tasting .
The mid tier bottles are such a cut above we have not began to be bored.

I have come to the conclusion you can be very happy at 45 - 65 $ range for an everyday poor.

It's light years from the swill and compared to some high dollar treats I have had, preferable to some.

Isn't about the price is the quality of what is in the bottle. Tequila has some good deals but also plenty of rip offs.
Bourbon wise my go to is Wild Turkey 101. There is plenty of stuff being sold at 3-10x the price that isn't as good.

• Wow
Reactions: Snuby642
40 years ago wild Turkey tasted good to me.

I will not bash it but have moved on.

Blatantly that is he type of stuff we leave a big bottle of on the kitchen table next to the shot glases for everybody to see.

We are normaly out next to the fire drinking the cheaper half of the top shelf.

There is a huge difference in top shelf and second shelf stuff.

The art I think is in not overspending for actual quality.

For me boils down to several simple things without being snobbish.

Harsh or smooth, flavorful, spicy or not / boaring. A Finnish that doesn't burn, or does per your own preference.

If you are happy with WT101 God bless you are getting off cheap .

Some whiskeys that I have tried and don't buy cost more than my first car. The in between stuff is really worth the upgrade.

One way to shop for good whiskey:

Go on friday to lls after work, see what has allready sold out on the top shelf.

Next friday go on lunch break and buy the last bottle of that.

Not pushing any particular brand or style on you but anything from the sarazack family has been a solid choice with many selections.

And if you get a rye make sure it is bottled in America.

Yep, is a balancing act. But WT does things right. It's still closer to 6 YO in the regular offerings and low barrel entry proof. Is also high rye and #4 barrel char. The 101 bottled proof = less water, more flavor. And it is still made that way and sells at a reasonable price.

If comparing it to glut era WT where the plain stuff was 12 then 8 YO, yeah it's not the same but it still rhymes.

One that some are crowing about is 2 years old and made in Ohio... and sells for 4x as much. It is not as good nor worth the price but some buy into the story Vs what it really is. If you like it cool, but it isn't worth the price asked to me.

To put things in perspective the Col. E.H. Taylor Lot C Tornado is probably the best bourbon I've had... at $65. At the $5000 it sells for now? No bourbon is that good. The BTAC and PVW falls into the same category, it's really good, at the prices originally asked. Same goes for Hirsch and just about any other unicorn you've heard of.

I have most of a case of 6 YO age stated Fighting Cock 103 that I paid $10 a bottle for. If you tasted it now it puts any recent EW single barrel to shame and it is the SAME whiskey... just made at a different time. The price may change the value is a different matter.

So all talk and no action put me off the diet seltzers I was drinking.

Drug out a decent priced rye and big splash of cranberry juice.
I'll call it a old mans drink, it's 1 am and I'm getting tired.

20220715_005732.jpg

BTW that glass and the half size big cube of ice is about six drinks old .

I make my drink, drink it ice cold and stuff the glass back in the freezer.

My wife was bitching about the square cube mold taking up room in the fridge and the labrador eating the whiskey ice.

So now only the labrador can bitch.

• Haha
Some things I have learned about tequila.

Blanco.
Respresado.
Anejo.

About all you need to know except for smoked barrel or not.
This is what you want to drink or 1800 but it's not smoked.

Spent 2 years stationed in England and visited Scotland several times.

Only thing I could ever get a taste for was the green eyed lasses .

They were a national treasure.

Too late for an old man to start another good drink or bullshit tale.

Good night gents.

Some things I have learned about tequila.

Blanco.
Respresado.
Anejo.

About all you need to know except for smoked barrel or not.
This is what you want to drink or 1800 but it's not smoked.

Besides the age the dirty secret is that "100% Agave" doesn't have to be, is only 99% by law with a list of approved flavorings. Ever tasted one that was a sugar bomb like Clase Azule? Now you know why. Doesn't make it bad, but when can buy something else made at the same NOM for 25% of the price it is a caveat emptor situation.

There are a few outliers that don't use additives and are honest about what they do such as Fortaleza and Don Pilar.
Both have a bit of "woo" with what they do but:

giphy.gif

I am a fan of Wild Turkey 101. Best value and for me, I like it. I usually recommend it to people that want to try bourbon for the first time… they think I’m fucking with them because it’s so cheap… sure it’s not as tasty as the $125-$200 stuff but you really need to know what you are after spending that much. If you don’t then your following hype.

Yes, there is a fairly large gap in taste and quality between something that’s $30ish VS $70. Even thou I like Wild Turkey 101 for $25, I will gladly spend $75 on some Russell’s Reserve Single Barell… also a Wild Turkey product

Last edited:
Russel’s Reserve Single Barrel rye is delicious.
Currently on the rum kick in Key West.
Never had this El Dorado. Very good. Very limited apparently. The 25 yr is tits. Next level.
9C929271-19A5-465F-BE11-8EF68A4D0D67.jpeg

F0E54292-D14F-492F-8653-5BB5CF857532.jpeg