• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

20220613_220940.jpg

Love to try it one day but well into 4 digits now. The Classic Cut doesn’t compare in the slightest.
Yep. It used to be my absolute favorite. Now it is a we bit expensive. But it is really good. If you get the opportunity, don’t turn it down.

Could not resist cracking this seal open. Sells out quick every week at the LLS , my sponsor.

My buddy will be with the distributor tomorrow and try and get some 10, 12 and l5.

My hood buys the 6. lol
Smooth, spicy only 94 proof but drinks more like a barrel proof to me. Maybe it's the rye.

View attachment 7891253
The sad part is this is the same stuff that was sold under the Jefferson's label at an age stated 10 years old and was $30 a bottle...

I'd like to hear the story on that.
Operative word there is "was". Before things went insane it wasn't that uncommon of a sight at that price.

Jefferson's is a label run by a NDP that sources stuff from all over. This one is a Canadian made 100% Rye which is a bit of an oddity, no barley or other grain. Is a flavoring whiskey that would be used as part of a typical Canadian blend.

The bulk of the other Rye sold here is made in Indiana by LDI/MGP which was a former Seagram's owned plant. If you see 95% rye, 5% malted barely listed that's where it came from despite whatever B.S. is on the rest of the label. If look closely will be fine print somewhere on the bottle that says distilled in Indiana. It's not that this Rye is bad, it's just the label's claimed story is marketing B.S.

Aside from the micro-distillers; Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Heaven Hill, Sazerac/Buffalo Trace, Barton, Jack Daniels are the only ones off top of my head that make their own Rye whiskey. Barton, Beam and Heaven Hill made product has multiple brand names.

ETA:
I should add Willett to this. They were an NDP who chose a lot of LDI/MGP very well, but have been making their own Rye for several years now, the label will tell you what it is. I'd not classify them as a micro, but they are nowhere near the capacity of the others.

Well here is the fine print.
20220614_011206.jpg

I think it stands alone and would be wasted flavoring other stuff.

Maybe an old fashioned for breakfast or lunch. Lol

Last edited:
Operative word there is "was". Before things went insane it wasn't that uncommon of a sight at that price.

Jefferson's is a label run by a NDP that sources stuff from all over. This one is a Canadian made 100% Rye which is a bit of an oddity, no barley or other grain. Is a flavoring whiskey that would be used as part of a typical Canadian blend.

The bulk of the other Rye sold here is made in Indiana by LDI/MGP which was a former Seagram's owned plant. If you see 95% rye, 5% malted barely listed that's where it came from despite whatever B.S. is on the rest of the label. If look closely will be fine print somewhere on the bottle that says distilled in Indiana. It's not that this Rye is bad, it's just the label's claimed story is marketing B.S.

Aside from the micro-distillers; Jim Beam, Wild Turkey, Heaven Hill, Sazerac/Buffalo Trace, Barton, Jack Daniels are the only ones off top of my head that make their own Rye whiskey. Barton, Beam and Heaven Hill made product has multiple brand names.

ETA:
I should add Willett to this. They were an NDP who chose a lot of LDI/MGP very well, but have been making their own Rye for several years now, the label will tell you what it is. I'd not classify them as a micro, but they are nowhere near the capacity of the others.
^^^This is a nice synopsis folks should understand.
Sourcing whiskey is very common, especially for new distilleries, as it takes (seemingly) forever to age bourbon well when you’ve borrowed all this money to start up and need to sell something. Smooth Ambler is one example and they’re friends of mine. Their VROS from MGP is delicious. Their TN stuff from Dickel I’m not of fan as much of. Then they’ve had various other MGP sourcings that are good as well.
I’m a big Willett fan. My 10 yr rye is next level. I have an 8 yr bourbon that’s delicious as well. I have a some 16 & 17 yr Whistle Pig barrel picks that I scored for $70/bottle 😳
DE0A3547-2B78-40B0-9BE4-4C1E69B24EDC.jpeg
5AABCD3C-E983-4710-A09C-E90E78AABD0F.jpeg

Reactions: 6.5SH
I love an older MGP rye, there are some good ones to drop in the past couple years. I have a various few bottlings in the 7-10 yr range I’m excited to crack open.

I remember someone having a case of each the experimental bottles for sale some several years ago. They were selling as a lot. I feel like it was $12k for 12 cases but who knows. I know 2 yrs ago the 12 year wheat was $140ish and now $900 someone posted on here a while back 😳
Anyway cheers 🍻
I sure AF wouldn’t pay whatever market value for this is but it’s really delicious. Complex, deep and sweet.
I’m on it for $60 years ago. Even that’s a stretch for a 375.
CC44A684-8F63-4482-B94F-A24A287794A2.jpeg

My wife and I recently went on a road trip to Kentucky, Tennessee, and Arkansas. While we were in Tennessee we went to the Jack Daniels distillery and took a tour. And of course we bought some bottles in the White Rabbit bottle shop.

So I've been sipping on some Tennessee Tasters and JD Single Barrel hand selected by the master distiller. As far as I know, the Single barrel we got is only available at the shop, and the Tennessee Taster is only available in TN with only 50 barrels ever made.

What a great tour, and I learned a lot about the history, company, and their process. It's amazing how much whiskey they produce for the size of that facility, and they still get all of their water from the same spring Jack used. 92 barrel houses with 20,000 barrels in each house.

Reactions: db2000
Sweet! I don’t drink coffee or espresso but my wife does.. had this setup for like 12 years and it’s been great…. Been looking at a super automatik’

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 38
Sweet! I don’t drink coffee or espresso but my wife does.. had this setup for like 12 years and it’s been great…. Been looking at a super automatik’
Nice! Proper set up.
Can’t use dark, oily beans in super auto so that’s gotta be ok with her.

Nice! Proper set up.
Can’t use dark, oily beans in super auto so that’s gotta be ok with her.
Didn’t know that… was looking at a Jura x8 or something like that… she likes that roast and brand. ALOT! says nothing is close… it really smells good. I would imagine it would be for some and not for others

Matt

Didn’t know that… was looking at a Jura x8 or something like that… she likes that roast and brand. ALOT! says nothing is close… it really smells good. I would imagine it would be for some and not for others

Matt
Here’s a good idea if they’d work with a SA. The oily ones in the bottom right will clog it up if used a lot. Not that you can’t ever use them but who knows how often. They just say don’t at all.
C6F44B3A-78A6-421F-AF39-2C9D4A8FF498.jpeg

Was tasked to come up with a couple drink entries for the wifes women's outdoor groups annual road trip.

Messing around with rye and old fashions .

The "Diva Old Fashioned" :

Rye Whiskey 2oz, Whistle Pig Piggyback or Prideful Goat.
Grand Mariner 1/2 oz.
Orange bitters 3-4 dashes.
Maple Syrup 1 teaspoon , preferably Sumerset County Pennsylvania.
Orange slices 2, one squeezed in and one for garnish.
Coctail cherry garnish.
Ice preferably one large cube.

Syrup and bitters swirl and coat bottom 1/3 of rocks glass.
Everything else except orange slices and cherrie in.
One orange slice squeezed floated on top, cherry and orange slice for garnish.

20220615_215654.jpg

Smooth , spicey.

Want to dig everything back out and make another.

Reactions: db2000
Last two pours of an Old Forester 1920, one for me, one for the solera bottle.

Cinnamon bomb if you’re into that. Otherwise pretty damn good.
FF9BACB2-1B5A-4D07-8958-0BD8ABF9618A.jpeg

Is there an age statement on that? I want to like Balcones stuff, but all I have tried has been overpriced and under aged IMO.
No age statement. I haven’t had a lot of their offerings. The Baby Blue is definitely corn forward. This is not. The only other I have is cask strength rye.

Had a Pour EH Taylor Single Barrel this evening. It was OK. Light with a little sweetness, it had a slight dark fruit/fig thing going on, but VERY minimal. I’d pass on it because I like Barrel Proof stuff and this was to delicate at the moment.

Matt

42317B8F-20C0-4D49-88A5-043BEC726A5D.jpeg

Reactions: Snuby642
Had a Pour EH Taylor Single Barrel this evening. It was OK. Light with a little sweetness, it had a slight dark fruit/fig thing going on, but VERY minimal. I’d pass on it because I like Barrel Proof stuff and this was to delicate at the moment.

Matt

View attachment 7893706
I like the SiB. I really like EHT BP. That bottle sells for $400+ on the secondary market unfortunately.

B5AA15E9-AE75-4CAE-A236-C714B56705E0.jpeg
Had some Weller Special Reserve tonight. It was the first time I’ve had Weller. Thought it was pretty good. It had a lighter taste with a bit of Spice up front then some citrus. Minimal oak. Slightly oily mouth feel. Had more Characteristics than the EH Taylor Small Batch… these lower proof entries would be good after a fantastic dinner… where you don’t want to over power your meal with a barrel proof and forget how good that Filet and Brussel Sprouts were.

Matt

I had told my wife that I’d like a bottle of Jefferson’s Ocean for Father’s Day. Somehow she brings home a bottle of experimental Chattanooga Whiskey Appalachian Grist. It’s not bad, but not really what I was looking for.

Enjoying some 10yr Talisker while I finish up smoking/grilling all the meat we’re having for dinner

Had a dram of this today, it was okay, not worth the $200 it costs. I think this might pair well with a good strong cigar.

Attachments

• 20220619_185229.jpg
    20220619_185229.jpg
    322.4 KB · Views: 50
Had a dram of this today, it was okay, not worth the $200 it costs. I think this might pair well with a good strong cigar.
I agree. Overpriced but pretty delicious. Several of their other finishes are tasty as well and $55-80

ER store pick. Cool replica bottle someone sent me anonymously one time.
AF7A4D03-D265-48FB-93B9-AE3B77029A14.jpeg

Reactions: rhsc
Finishing off left overs. Added some white truffle oil and good Chardonnay. 🍻
406C9DDB-C0C9-4D87-BED7-286891059E11.jpeg

Reactions: Snuby642
Let’s hear about that O’Fitz

Matt
Not much to say. I’m not great at description. Long vanilla bean that just comes through at the end though. They’re both delicious.

Edit.
I will say I bought both in a restaurant when VA legalized selling booze to go during Covid. Just ring it up by per drink and leave it in the bottle. I don’t think they even know what they had. $14/1.5oz. 🤷‍♂️🤣🔥