• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Maggie’s What are you drinking right now!?

I agree. Buffalo Trace and Eagle Rare come from the same mash bill (mash bill #1) as Weller. Different aging and proof of course.
If you enjoy the Weller, Eagle Rare will be up your alley and you'll find it appropriately placed between Larceny and Weller in price and taste.
Eagle rare and BT are from mashbill #1.

All Weller (and pappy) is a different mashbill that uses wheat instead of rye.

I like 107, Special Reserve is a average bourbon. But glad you love it!

ETA: someone beat me too it. Sorry to pile on.

Yes, the smoothest bourbon I've ever had. Sweeter than I expected, but not overly so.

I compared it side by side with my current bottle of Larceny. I got the Larceny for $30 and the Wellers for $65. I'm still not sure I wouldn't take 2 bottles of Larceny over the 1 bottle of Weller's. If you like wheated bourbons, I think Larceny is the best bargain going. Fortunately it hasn't caught on around here yet so I can get it anytime. The Weller's took me about 3 months to find.
Give Makers Cask Strength a try. I'm not a huge wheater fan and I really don't like regular makers mark. But the cask strength is great and available and a solid deal at $50.

I'll tell you this though:
If you really liked the Weller, this is magnificent:

Attachments

• 20181206_175051.jpg
    20181206_175051.jpg
    364.2 KB · Views: 72
Reactions: acudaowner
Is this where The German says go be poor somewhere else? I'm kidding.
I've got two bottles of the 20 year, but it is almost impossible to get.
Yeah I'll pay retail, but I won't pay the secondary prices. Tasted the LotB once but haven't even had a chance at any others here in OK. Oh well, there's a ton of great bottles under $50 out there, thankfully. Hell, even good ol' Wilt Turkey 101 is really nice for $20.

Been on a pretty straight kick lately given the thousands of options out there for everything:

Beer = mostly IPAs and NEIPAs with a bit of fruit in them.
Rum = Leadslingers Black Flag & New Holland
Bourbon = Four Roses Single Batch
Wine = Not a huge fan but keep semi dry reds in the house for my wife
Mixed Drinks = I like a tequila sunrise and Mai Tai when the MI winter has be depressed.

I'd be interested to hear what other mid-priced rums and bourbons you guys suggest. I'm not looking for anything $50+ a bottle, but something better than Bacardi and Captain would be nice. I kind of have a personal understanding that if the bottle is plastic or it has a screw top, I probably don't want it haha.

For rum, Diplomatico Rum Reserva Exclusiva can't be beat at its $40 price point.

For bourbon, so many choices, so many flavor profiles you'll have to try a great many to arrive at a destination that suits you. Start with Elijah Craig small batch and go from there. There's low rye, high rye and wheaters. All provide a different mouth feel.

Iamero

My go to mid range aged rum is El Dorado 12 yr. I am more of a bourbon drinker so I prefer the 12 yr. It has a little more bite than the 15 and 25. I always keep a bottle of the 15 yr and the 25 yr but they have not been touched in quite a while. You will not be disappointed.

Good to know. Any idea if they are generally kept on store shelves or something I have to order online?

From my experience, I can find it in the 3 different stores I go to. I have never had to order it online. There is an 8 year as well. I do NOT recommend that for sipping.

As a former bar manager, I have had the opportunity to try out just about everything behind a bar. Currently I am drinking a carbonated Strawberry Fruit Fizz (water). However, I think the original post wants to know my preferences, so...
BEER: Micheloeb Ultra from a glass bottle. Clean, tasteful and no bitter after taste. I don't understand why someone would drink Coors and then say it's an "acquired taste". If you have to acquire a taste for anything, then it can't be too good in the first place! Then there are those phonies who put garbage in their bottle. Hear me Corona drinkers?
VODKA: Grey Goose goes down like a smooth syrup, so in a mixed drink...not an issue.
WHISKEY: Canadian Club. O.K. I admit to having a bit of a sweet toothy and a CC7 with a twist hits the spot on a hot summer day.
BOURBON: I have a new bottle of Winchester, I am waiting to try, as soon as I get my Winchester 1894 Sporting Rifle 26" Nickel Steel Octagon Barrel back from the gun smith, so I can take a picture of them together. Otherwise Jim Beam. Been around a long time.
RUM: Used to be Bacardi, but I found if I drink too much, I would get terrible headaches, so no more rum for me. Cuba Libre's were good though.
LIQUERS: Kahlua and/or Bailey's with hot coffee. Kahlua over vanilla ice cream makes for a nice dessert.
WINE: There is a winery up in Washington state called Chateau St. Michel that makes a very good CABERNET SAUVIGNON, matched only by Paul Newman's Own (in fact Paul Newman's Own makes many products that are simply great- try their mango salsa on scrambled eggs).
RIESLING: a dessert wine that I like to drink with fresh sliced pears.
SAUVIGNON BLANC: For cooking in my salmon. It is almost tasteless and the heat makes the alcohol dissipate, so that is why I have a glass of it while cooking.
So that about does it for me. While my choices are not the most expensive, they are very tasty. Try it, you will like it.

"Hobo Piss" that's what we called it in school at least.
its just jack and mountain dew.

I keep reading how much y’all like Woodford Reserve & Bulleit Bourbon. I went to the liquor store tonight & not being able to decide which looked best I bought a bottle of each. Cheers gents, for the ‘Hide has not steered me wrong yet.

Tonight’s drink is Woodford Reserve while my wife & I watch the “The Pacific” again.

Reactions: Healy
I keep reading how much y’all like Woodford Reserve & Bulleit Bourbon. I went to the liquor store tonight & not being able to decide which looked best I bought a bottle of each. Cheers gents, for the ‘Hide has not steered me wrong yet.

Tonight’s drink is Woodford Reserve while my wife & I watch the “The Pacific” again.
While they are fine, there's just so many more higher value options imo. Woodford here is like $38 now. I can get EH Taylor, Eagle Rare, McKenna BiB, Knob Creek Single barrel, Russells 10 year, Wild Turkey 101 and others for the same or less which I personally prefer more than Woodford. But everyone has their own preferences!

I've been to Woodford, and will be back in Kentucky in May for bourbon tours and we will go again. It's a beautiful, picturesque place.

While they are fine, there's just so many more higher value options imo. Woodford here is like $38 now. I can get EH Taylor, Eagle Rare, McKenna BiB, Knob Creek Single barrel, Russells 10 year, Wild Turkey 101 and others for the same or less which I personally prefer more than Woodford. But everyone has their own preferences!

I've been to Woodford, and will be back in Kentucky in May for bourbon tours and we will go again. It's a beautiful, picturesque place

The Woodford Reserve is fucking badass. I’m really digging it. My wife says it’s too strong, but she is more of a wine connoisseur. I’m just a bourbon guy who enjoys Stella Artois & Corona on the side. I’ll have to broaden my horizons & try the others as well.

Don't get me wrong, Woodford got me started. Now I've got a collection of over 50 bourbons/ryes haha. But I def recommend trying a lot of stuff as you'll find you have preferences (which may in fact be Woodford!).

There's no wrong way to drink your whiskey, and no whiskey that's wrong to drink. Unless your whiskey is spelled without an "E", then it's really just dirty water (Sorry scotch guys, just a tease).

Reactions: WATERWALKER
If you like that one, try the Red Bush.
Black Bush is supposed to be the best one, how is Red Bush different? It would be great if it was better, it is half the price. Black Bush is $50 here locally.

Black Bush is supposed to be the best one, how is Red Bush different? It would be great if it was better, it is half the price. Black Bush is $50 here locally.
I think it's a smoother drink. It's aged in Bourbon casks so it has a more mellow warm flavor. I drink all of the Bushmill's line and the 16 year is the best by far. I am not however fond of the 100 dollar a bottle price increase. I was paying about 70 a bottle, but now every store I frequent in this state has it for about 170 a bottle.

I will say this for Woodford Reserve... A couple years back myself & a bunch of the old gang from 3/8 STA had a bit of a reunion in St Louis. Well somehow Woodford Reserve found out about it & sent up a case of whiskey & a bunch of shirts, all they asked for in return was some pictures of the good times.

Needless to say, I've been a bit of a Woodford man since then, they didn't have to do that!

Tonight's selection folks:
This was named whiskey of the year at the San Francisco Spirits competition. It won out over a crowded field. Second place went to a 21 year Scotch from BenRaich.

Attachments

• 20190329_173319.jpg
    20190329_173319.jpg
    368.5 KB · Views: 151
This was named whiskey of the year at the San Francisco Spirits competition. It won out over a crowded field. Second place went to a 21 year Scotch from BenRaich.
One of my favorites. It is already being allocated, soon it will be either unobtanium or twice the price.

Love HMK but to be fair there's a ton of variation barrel to barrel. I have bottles from 4 different barrels at home. I love one of the barrels I have, like 2 and hate 1. This award doesn't change that. Unfortunately, the taters will gobble this up before they realize the significance of a "single barrel" release.

this is the specific barrel that won. Still quite the achievement but HH has well over a million barrels aging and all their warehouses are bonded, so they likely picked a specific honey barrel. Still impressive but not exactly pertinent to the bottles in my local LS shelf.

That sucks!
This was a hidden gem that you could still find on the shelves without the price gouging.

What you guys said above are all true. Especially about variations. That's what makes it single barrel!