• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What bullet will you be using this deer season??

Benchguy57

Minuteman
Feb 12, 2014
St. Louis Missouri
Thought this would be a fun topic.
What bullet will you be trusting to put meat in the freezer or a nice rack on the wall
This year????
like most years I'll be using the Nosler 160 grain Accubond, hasn't let me down yet.
Good luck this year and stay safe.
Regards
George.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

208 gr a-max in a 300 win mag. Probably a little overkill but it gets the job done every time and are 95% clean shots through.

150gr Sierra Game King. Not thrilled with its accuracy in 300wm but I needed something light and expandable for white tail. Its consistant 0.7moa 5-shot groups is still great for hunting but my rifle is capable of better with heavier bullets.

53 gr barnes tsx or 62 gr barnes tsx in 223 rem.
140 gr barnes tsx in 270 win.
168 gr hornady a max in 308 win.

Are you guts getting pass through w/ AMAX ? I have only shot 1 buck w/ 208 AMAX It dropped with in 5 yards of the hit but no pass through. (300 win mag)

Are you guts getting pass through w/ AMAX ? I have only shot 1 buck w/ 208 AMAX It dropped with in 5 yards of the hit but no pass through. (300 win mag)

Yeah only one time I didn't was on a very large pig but it was just under the skin on the off side after breaking the shoulder. Here is one of the only exit pictures I have the deer was quartering away the bullet went through the back of the rib cage and exited through the neck on the off side.

65gr sgk in 556
110gr vmax in 300blk
130gr accubond and 140 amax in 260
168gr amax in 308
180gr accubond in 30-06
200gr accubond and 208 amax in 300wm

Many options that will each see a little time in the field but one of my 260's with 130gr accubonds will see at least 75% of the action.

Yeah only one time I didn't was on a very large pig but it was just under the skin on the off side after breaking the shoulder. Here is one of the only exit pictures I have the deer was quartering away the bullet went through the back of the rib cage and exited through the neck on the off side.

Thanks! That makes me feel better.
Thx for the picture.... Show off ;) ... Congrats

Keep em coming in guys. And if you have any photos like Nortex did please share as well. Getting pumped, November can't get here fast enough.

Doesn't that bullet just explode and ruin meat?? I've shot the 140 in my 7mm mag and just blew up.

Cup and core like several if they are hit at high impact velocity or heavy bone they expand extremely fast.

I guess a good option for a neck shot.

125gr N BT is a good option for a neck shot. 300wm + 125 BT + Varget = Explosive!

I put the 165gr BT right behind the shoulder and it works well. Massive damage to heart / lungs; they don't go far and leave a mess of a blood trail (foamy lung chunks and all). I'm in pretty thick woods with the average shot at around 50 yds. Anything at that range with WM speeds will destroy meat if you take a shoulder shot.

100 grain Magnuss Stinger. On a Easton 3/49 ACC. Out of a Hoyt Alpha Max set to 58lbs. 275 fps. Close up and personal, nothing beats the rush of a bow kill.
This usually fills my tags well before gun season opens. If I have a tag left I will use a 150 gr SGK delivered from a Savage 308. or 180gr Accubond from Savage 300wm. or 100gr SGK from Remington 243. Prefer the 243 when it's really cold. It has a youth stock and 20 inch barrel. The short stock is handy with all the layers of clothes.

I'm using Remington CoreLokt 180gr .308 at present, but I've just bought some Hornady 165gr SST Superformance that I'll be trying out afterwards.

It depends.
Muzzleloader - .45 240 XTP
.308 - 168 Match King
If one strolls out in the yard, like they have the past two years, then it will be whatever's handy, from the 17 gr V-max to the 50 grain V-max.

I let this one go last November.
It was cold and rainy and I had pinkeye. Didn't want to mess with him.
Took this from the kitchen window.

GueNM6d.jpg

Last edited:
Why so much power?
The subsonics will kill a whitetail all day long. :cool:

Well, I just take being an alpha male over the top. Sure, I've killed a few with choke holds and judo chops, but I like the way the .22LR slaps them down with a 40g bullet traveling almost the speed of sound.

The bullet is a 250 grain "flex tip" hornady that is .452 diamater that I believe the load for the 450 Bushmaster.

Not for sure I am deer hunting this year but if I do it will be a 120 grain SST in my 6.8spc. I would have like to have been reloading for it by now so I could have ran a Barnes bullet since the SST doesn't stay together very well.

125gr NBT match 30-06 brass CCI bench-rest primers and VVN540 60.2grns leaves my barrel at 3200FPS. I killed my last deer with a neck shot, saw him drop in the scope no step no nothing but hitting the ground!

Last edited:
Gonna try the 130gr Berger Hunting VLD this year out of the 6.5 CM. Also have some of the 190s for the .300 WSM.

Hornady .454 240gr XTP, .358 200gr RN interlock
Barnes .224 52gr TSX FB, .308 175gr LRX
Berger .308 175gr VLD

I hope to kill my first with my 35 Rem 336 and my 454 Casull pistol.
I hope my daughter gets her first with my 223.

Ryan

Here is whats left of a 6.8 120sst after tearing it's way through the bottom quarter of a turkey breast last season. Distance was 320 yards measured with a PLRF-10. I hope to get Bambi here shortly.

140 grain Partition for 264 win mag
140 or 150 grain Nosler/ Barnes for 7MM STW
180 grain Hornady for.300 Win Mag
225 grain Barnes for 340 Weatherby
Hunting buddies use my rifles occasionally as they are cheap bastards and would hunt with 22lr if not for me, They go in first and I hunt
ahead of them so they throw much deerage at me !!! I end up with 340 Wby as I like it and it's recoil doesn't leave me crying and it is accurate
way out there, I have shot thru two deer ,once, didn't see the second one beside the one I had in sights filled antler and anterless tag with one shot!! Nobody believed me but they all only heard one boom!!

140 ttsx Barnes 7mm Mag
168 lrx Barnes 7mm Mag
160 gr. Nosler Accubond
7mm Mag
All meds powered by RL19, until RL22, RL25 & Ramshot or H1000 become available.

Last edited:

Here is whats left of a 6.8 120sst after tearing it's way through the bottom quarter of a turkey breast last season. Distance was 320 yards measured with a PLRF-10. I hope to get Bambi here shortly.

If you'd a shot him through the head/neck, which is the only sporting shot with a centerfire rifle on a turkey, there'd never be bullet recovery!

Bob

.223- 65gr SGK
.308- 180gr SGK

Both shoot plenty accurate enough (sub 1" usually) for the distances I get where I hunt (hard to get more than 100yds).

200 gr hornady for the 35 Whelen

165 hornady sst for the 300 wm

300 gr something for the 338lm

First time I ever shot a deer it was facing me at 10 yds. Chest shot and it Did a backwards somersault with a 90 something gr rem core loc .243. I can't imagine what would have happened if I was using what some of guys are.