• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did you do in the reloading room today?

Today I set up my RL450 for 223 and cranked out a few rounds. 100 rounds goes fast compared to my previous Lee Classic Turret Press!! Shoulda done did a progressive press years ago LOL.

And the Dillon powder measure did extremely well with WC844 powder. Slightly better than +/- 0.1 grain on the handful I measured as I was going along.

'Murica
IMG_20190728_1611059.jpg

I am just getting set up. I decided to play with my charge master so I opened a new Lb. of H4895 and dumped about 1/3 of it into the hopper before I realized the drain was open.

How do you dispose of a big pile of contaminated powder?

Reactions: clcustom1911
I am just getting set up. I decided to play with my charge master so I opened a new Lb. of H4895 and dumped about 1/3 of it into the hopper before I realized the drain was open.

How do you dispose of a big pile of contaminated powder?
Whys it contaminated? Keep the table surfaces clean and tidy and you can just scrape it back into the can.

Bench and floor still had some sawdust from reinforcing said bench before mounting the press. Was pretty clean but not "clean". Question still stands. Should I just douse it in water and throw it away?

??? So your saying I can reload powder contaminated with sawdust? That doesn't sound right. I think I will just get it soaking wet and dump it in the trash on garbage day.

Since you're throwing out unreasonable hypothetical questions just because....

1. Why does your reloading space have sawdust which was somehow allowed to mix with the powder?

1(a). Why didn't you clean the sawdust prior to reloading activities?

2. Why didn't you check all your fittings on your powder measure prior to use?

3. Why didn't you read the directions included with your powder measure prior to use?

4. Why did you ask for a way to dispose of "contaminated" powder with out disclosing the contaminant?

5. Why do you ask questions to which you likely know the answer, but just lack the confidence to execute?

Hypothetically.......

Good luck. Stay safe.

Since you're throwing out unreasonable hypothetical questions just because....

1. Why does your reloading space have sawdust which was somehow allowed to mix with the powder?

1(a). Why didn't you clean the sawdust prior to reloading activities?

2. Why didn't you check all your fittings on your powder measure prior to use?

3. Why didn't you read the directions included with your powder measure prior to use?

4. Why did you ask for a way to dispose of "contaminated" powder with out disclosing the contaminant?

5. Why do you ask questions to which you likely know the answer, but just lack the confidence to execute?

Hypothetically.......

Good luck. Stay safe.

1) Because I just finished reinforcing it. This required wood and a saw.
1a) Because I wasn't planning on doing anything loading. Just to figure out how to work it.
2) At a quick glance it looked closed.
3) Because i'm a man so I threw the directions in the trash immediately. I bet you read the directions as opposed to just figuring it out like a man would do.
4) Because it doesn't matter what the contamination IS. It is contaminated thus I wont use it.
5) Just throwing a cup of gun powder in a trash bag doesn't take confidence. It would be an act of ignorance. Furthermore, I do not "KNOW" if static from the bag may touch it off, if getting it wet causes a reaction or if it requires hazmat disposal. Therefore I ask.

My only real mistake was not asking in the stupid question forums. People over there are nice unlike you. Dick. LOL

Last edited:
I only left it open once.....

Same. See. People act like its unusual. :)

EDIT: Write drain on the top of the hopper? I didn't get it at first but I totally get it now. That is actually a great idea. Thanks VSP! I will do it.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: clcustom1911
Well Im new so... I am going to meticulously trickle up by using a tweezer to drop one kernel at a time till I am there. Auto powder thrower? Phht. :)

Very nice loading bench cl. Im not going to post pics because my room is the sux.

Last edited:
Well Im new so... I am going to meticulously trickle up by using a tweezer to drop one kernel at a time till I am there. Auto powder thrower? Phht. :)

Very nice loading bench cl. Im not going to post pics because my room is the sux.
I have no shame. My shit is in disarray right now because I'm moving presses around and whatnot. One day it'll be all nice and.... One day.... ???

Reactions: DubfromGA
Well, I loaded up an OCW test. 2 actually... one with FL sized brass and one with collet sized brass. Just wanna see what happens. I am running 175gr Nosler CCs with IMR 4064... a lot of 4064. My heaviest charge is 46 grains and slightly compressed. I may not shoot it if the lower charges show any pressure lol... I went up in .2 grain steps, well see.

Sweet reloading baby jesus.20190811_160227.jpg

22rf was inside 308 case.

20190811_160501.jpg

Swaged onto stem.

20190811_161434.jpg

What a rodeo.

Did finally manage 100 pcs of 308 and 350 of 223.

20190811_182513.jpg

1k of 223 and 200 rounds of 9mm loaded today. The other 800 9mm will get done tomorrow.

Im just starting out so I looked at my press, worked the handle up and down once. Then sat for a while and pondered how to organize and label brass. Not much but it counts. LOL I need some bins.

@little_scrapper
Clear bins with 3x5 cards on the inside
Incase the blue tape on the outside gets rubbed off.

Make sure they stack when full and nest when empty.

My overflow 223 and 308 may have to go in 5 gallon buckets since all my bins are full for them.

@rookie101 made a good haul looks like.

LOLLLL yeah I got Lee dies on my Dillon. Ghetto fabulous

View attachment 7120036

I used to knock Lee dies also
About ten years ago, I was the production manager for an ammunition company.

We used externally modified Lee Carbide dies on Camdex loaders.
We produced 50,000 rounds per day, per machine and didn't have to replace any dies in the 8.5 months I worked for them.

I no longer have any issues with their dies.

Their other stuff, well...

I used to knock Lee dies also
About ten years ago, I was the production manager for an ammunition company.

We used externally modified Lee Carbide dies on Camdex loaders.
We produced 50,000 rounds per day, per machine and didn't have to replace any dies in the 8.5 months I worked for them.

I no longer have any issues with their dies.

Their other stuff, well...

Some of their products are awesome.
The rest,,,,,as you said, well......

I see a tender shoulder in someone’s future. Looks like fun.
I’m going to try to get qualified for out 1000 yard range this weekend...if life doesn’t get in the way.
Probably shot over 140 rounds that day. Shoulder was fine. Mr. muzzle brake worked hard.

Reactions: Srgt. Hulka
How do you make a comparitor that is accurate.
I don't get how you break the edge and have it come out?

Necked down 7x57 Mauser brass to 6mm, fireformed with a light load, then neck turned.

Loaded some 75gr Barnes X bullets for initial testing.

Attachments

• 20190813_205950.jpg
    20190813_205950.jpg
    712.4 KB · Views: 55
  • 20190702_100300.jpg
    20190702_100300.jpg
    538.9 KB · Views: 58
Reactions: sandwarrior
Loaded 25 rounds of 6.5CM for an OAL test and 20 rounds of 8mm k98 Mauser.
I thought the k98 would like the 196gr but it much prefers a 150gr Hornady Interlock.

How do you make a comparitor that is accurate.
I don't get how you break the edge and have it come out?

Not sure what you mean by “Break the edge”?

For a bullet comparator, Hornady usually goes a few thousandths under groove diameter per given caliber. .22CF would be .217”, 6mm would be .234”, etc. As long as it’s reasonably close it doesn’t matter, as it’s a comparator, all it does is compare one round to the next.

For a HS, just use a reamer with a matching shoulder angle... again, it doesn’t have to be to any specific dimension as your just using it to compare shoulder position between cases.

?

Say you wanted an exact measurement.
Like at 0.350 datum, if the edge of the hole is deburred , champhered etc.
boes that not throw off true measuring?

Say you wanted an exact measurement.
Like at 0.350 datum, if the edge of the hole is deburred , champhered etc.
boes that not throw off true measuring?
Yes but its not a gauge giving absolutes. Its a comparator giving relative measurements like every other comparator on earth.

Reactions: Steel head
Triple BBB day.
Baseball, Beer and Brass !

Head hunting, I swear they have down sized the head stamps again.
20190820_190729.jpg

Reactions: Dpp
When I’m not going out on installs and I work the shop I don’t leave until 0730. I like to get some rounds loaded before I leave.

The best part of waking up, is reloading ammo before work!

It’s actually very therapeutic

Absolutely nothing. I am waiting on the moving truck to arrive, which currently holds my press, chargemasters, bullets, brass and anything else that didn't fit in my truck.

Im just starting out so I looked at my press, worked the handle up and down once. Then sat for a while and pondered how to organize and label brass. Not much but it counts. LOL I need some bins.

Get yourself some of these! I have 2 for each caliber...one is for clean brass, ready to load, the other is fired brass that needs to be cleaned, sized, etc. Put some little cards in each bin on how many times the brass has been fired so you keep them straight.

If organized neatly, this container holds 500 pieces of 6.5 creedmoor brass...and close to 1,000 pieces of .223

Reactions: jetsurgeon and Dpp
Those are a great idea. Not sure I would use that or maybe something similar. Cards are pretty much a necessity. As a beginner I made a quick and dirty spread sheet I can print out 4x per 8.5 x 11. Then cut into quarters for tracking how far along the brass is.
I toss this into the ziplock with the brass I am working and use this to track my batches. I do one step. Do that step to every piece. Check mark, NA or add the number required. Dates are helpful for some reason.

Looks like this:
STEPSDateValue
Decap Primers
Tumble Clean
Remove Primer Crimp
Uniform Primer Pocket
Deburr Flash Hole
Anneal Case Mouth
Lube & Resize/Bump Shoulder1.623"
Tumble Clean
Trim Brass to Length2.005"
Deburr Outside Case Mouth
Chamfer Inside Case Mouth
Brass Brush Case Mouth
Steel Wool Case Mouth
Seat Primers
Load PowderType
Grains
Seat BulletsBullet Type
OAL/Ogive

I saw a video on that salt bath annealing and seems to be a very easy, cheap and consistent way to do it.
The "scientific" testing has been inconclusive at best. The normal time is supposed to be only 5 seconds. I've been playing with different times. I do my 6.5 creedmoor brass for 8 seconds because it's thinner brass than my 7mm RemMag brass, so it goes longer in the magma. Will this process I'm doing work better?? No idea, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express Last night.