• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What did you do in the reloading room today?

More 5.56 processing. Enlisted some help so was simultaneously decap/trimming, primer pocket swaging, and chamfer/deburring.
20211114_121031.jpg

Prepped and primed 50 twice fired 6.5 Grendel cases for testing.

Will fire 25 of them before upper receiver face grinding and Loc-Tite bonding, then remaining 25 from the same batch as a comparison whether any accuracy improvement occurs.

I had done the grind/bond process on my 24" and it appears to be shooting better than expected (PSA Lower/AR Stoner Upper), but I had no definitive proof based on 'before'.

Just a handful of 5rd groups is a small data sampling, but at least it's something.

Greg

PS Re: prior post; Heigh Ho, Heigh Ho....

PPS: I also took delivery of 1000 Hornady 62gr FMJBT's for testing as a replacement bullet for the M-855 round. I believe the original multipart bullet is what ruins that round's accuracy potential.

Last edited:
More 5.56 processing. Enlisted some help so was simultaneously decap/trimming, primer pocket swaging, and chamfer/deburring.
View attachment 7740552

Interesting "swarf" catch you created there.

I run the mini shop vac and it really adds to the noise volume of the whole processing thing....ear muffs are a must when I process.

Interesting "swarf" catch you created there.

I run the mini shop vac and it really adds to the noise volume of the whole processing thing....ear muffs are a must when I process.
Yep. When I acquired the trimmer I actually bought a small shop vac. Too noisy, my hearing is half shot as it is. The tub is not ideal but works. The trimmer itself is very quiet. I'm thinking of cutting some down and experimenting. With 8 ice cream loving kids (and me) we can generate 1-2 empty gallons per week.

Yep. When I acquired the trimmer I actually bought a small shop vac. Too noisy, my hearing is half shot as it is. The tub is not ideal but works. The trimmer itself is very quiet. I'm thinking of cutting some down and experimenting. With 8 ice cream loving kids (and me) we can generate 1-2 empty gallons per week.

If you cut those buckets up than what will you put your various brass in?

I have to have close to a dozen for either separating brass, storing clean or keeping dirty separate from clean.

Trimmed and primed 400 plus pcs of Hornady brass for my 6.5CM load in the LR308. I plan on loading essentially two cases of ammo for the gun using some 140gr Nosler CC I picked up from Shooters Pro Shop for $0.24 a pc. I developed a decent load using StaBall and some 1 x fired 6 Creed brass I picked up on the forum. Shot it yesterday at a match to confirm suitability and now I'm ready to load my little stash of mocked up "factory ammo". I purchased ammo cartons from Midway and spent the afternoon designing labels using the online Avery print studio. I'm calling this the "Tactical Match" load using OTM bullets with unimpressive BCs at super conservative speeds. I also have a more competitive load using the Norma 130gr Golden Targets. .571 BC going 2830. I'm going to call that my "Competition Match" load. I have 2000 of those that I paid $0.34 for. I figure I'm paying $12.60 a 20rd box and loading it on my 550. I can't really explain why I like having the ammo in mocked up "Factory" form but it's nice knowing I have 2 cases ready to go and I only paid $12.60 a box.

View attachment 7740750View attachment 7740751View attachment 7740753
Great job.
Wish I could find plain white ammo boxes in sizes like Magtech uses and do labels like you did here. The Magtech boxes are so much smaller than the old schools boxes.

Reactions: reubenski
I'm on the hunt for a old style Lee collet neck sizer for the 6mm Creedmoor. Can't find one so I'm at a standstill.

On top of being my reloading room, my shed also doubles as my leather working room. And as my area for making powder horns when I get the notion to make some... And it also serves as just a plain old shop/project area and man cave.

So with all of those activities, things begin to collect and get out of sorts. Cardboard boxes pile up in the corner and a general state of "untidiness" ensues. It's been pretty bad for a while. So last night I had enough and started sorting "trash" from "keep." I have some power tools that need to go back to the tool shed. And some sweeping/dusting/cleaning after I find the floor again.

In the meantime, I have .308 to reload, .223/5.56 that needs a load worked up and loaded, 300 Win Mag to reload, 3 rifles that need a deep clean, a scope to mount, and general sorting/organizing to streamline my operation.

I'm off work for a bit. So you would think I have all the time in the world for this... But I have the back yard to get cleaned up and a fence to finish... My youngest daughter's playhouse to take down and move to my oldest daughter's house for my granddaughter... Parents requested me to help dad remodel their bathroom... My cousin and I are planning to clear timber to extend our shooting range to 800 plus... And processing that timber into firewood... And deer firearms season opens in a week or two.

I'd like to load some stuff for deer hunting. But at this point I'm thinking to hell with that, and I just might buy factory hunting ammo.

When I get the shed squared away I may post a pic or two, just so there is record that it was once clean.

When the boss calls me back for 60 hour weeks, I'll be ready... I could use the vacation.

just moved and lost the top and windscreens for my a& fx120i, and a a&d 123 scale. i guess it could be worse.

pressing like a mad man trying to get a head of winter found out the other night It's getting a little to cold to want to sit out in the yet unheated shed for too long past sundown brr so this morning I pressed 200 and now am prepping another 200 for tomorrows pressing . But at least I have finally settled on most of my choosen powder loads with the different powders I currently have , I am thankful there is only a few more I need to fully test in the winter to see how they work So I will have loads for summer and now winter .so yea me .

Well, technically yesterday. Berger 95 Classic Hunter over 47.5 RL22 in .243 Win.
Dropped a young doe and onto processing. Meanwhile making elk heart and Waygu jerky. 🍻

Loaded some 200gr SWC 45acp for my 625-6 I just bought. Used some 43yr old SR7625 powder from my late uncle’s supplies(been using it, it’s good) Loaded some 10gr Unique 308 loads with 135gr cast bullets and some trail boss loads with a few different jacketed bullets to try.
Decided to buy a Dillion Super Swage after reading this forum, have used the RCBS kit before(junk)

snapped a pic after I cleaned up...

500 rounds of 308WIN (168gn FGMM clone) for a project. With the two AutoTricklers setup, I was able to keep a pace of ~100 rounds an hour. Powder was waiting on me for a change. Really impressed with the 750XL/Auto Tricker for loading precision ammo. I made all the recommended F-Class John improvements and I'm not sure the Co-Ax on the wall is going to see much action any time soon... we'll see.
IMG_0117.jpeg

65852916095__48EA386F-0DD2-4B69-AF2C-FB0255EA29D6.jpeg

snapped a pic after I cleaned up...

500 rounds of 308WIN (168gn FGMM clone) for a project. With the two AutoTricklers setup, I was able to keep a pace of ~100 rounds an hour. Powder was waiting on me for a change. Really impressed with the 750XL/Auto Tricker for loading precision ammo. I made all the recommended F-Class John improvements and I'm not sure the Co-Ax on the wall is going to see much action any time soon... we'll see.View attachment 7742396

View attachment 7742397

Purty sight, right there. (y)(y)(y)(y)(y)

Loaded some different 44 Mag 180gr XTP loads to try.

29.0 grs of H110
11.0 grs of Unique
23.0 grs of 2400
15.0 grs of HS6

Other than the H110 load they are are “supposed” to be around 1300-1400fps

Reactions: DubfromGA
I've been using the RCBS Chargemaster Lite for a couple of years, and some benefits have become apparent.

Loading on the RL550b, I can charge a case, return the pan to the stage, then seat the bullet, insert a new case, and advance the baseplate; and when I've done that, the pan is ready to charge the next case well over half of the the time. Otherwise, it's about a ten second wait, scarcely a chore. For the price, it seems to be hitting above its weight class.

The glass touch screen controls are also a big improvement over my previous electronic powder measure. The old one used a membrane switch control panel, and that simply gave up about two years into its lifespan, essentially retiring it from use.

I use the RCBS powder pan/funnel, which also speeds and simplifies the case charging process.

Greg

I, too, am setting up a 44 Magnum project. Some of the loads will be with the 180 XTP and H-100. I reviewed the Hodgdon rifle data site after reading the above post, and 29.0gr is the published starting load. Their test barrel length is listed at 20".

But my loads will be for an 18" 94AE Trapper Carbine, and previous post on another site have suggested that long barrel loads for the 44 mag should use charges near the upper end of the published load range for reasons suggesting stuck bullets in the barrel. The published max is 31.5, and I intend to try 30.5 as a starting load.

Is there anyone reading this who would advise I hold off on that and start lower? If so, I'd like to understand their reasoning.

Later, there will also be a project employing H-110 and 300gr XTP's. Hodgdon published H-110 load data shows a range from 18gr to 19gr.

TIA,

Greg

Last edited:
Reactions: BKSSNIPER
I hit my chronograph rods today with a different gun so I didn’t get to chronograph these 29.0 H110 w/ 180XTP. (photo)

6.5” 629

The 15.0gr load of HS6 load was chronographed and averaged 1356fps

The 11.0gr load of Unique was chronographed and averaged 1227fps

Both of these were extremely dirty.

Attachments

• 5184954F-2D0D-4DB3-B06C-3F97F3479106.jpeg
    5184954F-2D0D-4DB3-B06C-3F97F3479106.jpeg
    272 KB · Views: 35
On top of being my reloading room, my shed also doubles as my leather working room. And as my area for making powder horns when I get the notion to make some... And it also serves as just a plain old shop/project area and man cave.

So with all of those activities, things begin to collect and get out of sorts. Cardboard boxes pile up in the corner and a general state of "untidiness" ensues. It's been pretty bad for a while. So last night I had enough and started sorting "trash" from "keep." I have some power tools that need to go back to the tool shed. And some sweeping/dusting/cleaning after I find the floor again.

In the meantime, I have .308 to reload, .223/5.56 that needs a load worked up and loaded, 300 Win Mag to reload, 3 rifles that need a deep clean, a scope to mount, and general sorting/organizing to streamline my operation.

I'm off work for a bit. So you would think I have all the time in the world for this... But I have the back yard to get cleaned up and a fence to finish... My youngest daughter's playhouse to take down and move to my oldest daughter's house for my granddaughter... Parents requested me to help dad remodel their bathroom... My cousin and I are planning to clear timber to extend our shooting range to 800 plus... And processing that timber into firewood... And deer firearms season opens in a week or two.

I'd like to load some stuff for deer hunting. But at this point I'm thinking to hell with that, and I just might buy factory hunting ammo.

When I get the shed squared away I may post a pic or two, just so there is record that it was once clean.

When the boss calls me back for 60 hour weeks, I'll be ready... I could use the vacation.
Well... Better than it was I guess.

Mike

Attachments

• IMG_20211118_202309685.jpg
    IMG_20211118_202309685.jpg
    311.4 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_20211118_202035674.jpg
    IMG_20211118_202035674.jpg
    461.5 KB · Views: 103
Annealed about 800 pieces of brass, mostly 25x47L and 308 and a little 6.5 Creedmoor. I've had this thing for over a year but haven't been shooting much so I haven't used it. It's pretty slick once you get it setup.

Attachments

• OxueUP2.jpg
    OxueUP2.jpg
    134.4 KB · Views: 70
Reactions: camocorvette
Yeah, I'm just about at starting... but, they sure do group well. I'll try them hotter after the lot of 500 are once fired.

Sheesh... I was shooting 37 and a half grains of 4350 in my GT with the 107's....

Never seen this before. What's it for?
increased uniformity of the bullets ballistic drag coefficient as well as the adjustability of the NOSERING® tools’ cutting depth which allow the user to control a bullets’ expansive qualities while using your rifles muzzle velocity.

Reactions: Billdoe708
increased uniformity of the bullets ballistic drag coefficient as well as the adjustability of the NOSERING® tools’ cutting depth which allow the user to control a bullets’ expansive qualities while using your rifles muzzle velocity.

Learn something new every day. Thank you for taking time to explain sir!

Reactions: joemusso
My lot of old R&P 308 is biting the dust. Got two pending case head separations from the last go round. Had to brake out a case of some old bulk Winchester brass I bought from midway back in the 90s! Run them through the expander die and chamfer the case mouths.

20211123_114951.jpg

That's great as I have another case of 500, 1000 in total. Though there are some spots on the brass from sitting so long in my basement. I'll give them a bath in white vinegar, dish soap and water. Maybe some salt too?

That should clean off the spots, they come off with 3m crocus cloth... no way I'm going to do that to 1000 cases. Bath should take care of it.

That's good brass

Good job! I have a go-to guy who normally has the hard to find stuff at decent prices, but he hasn't been able to get any for a long time

I tried out some new dies for 9MM. My local store was running a sale on Hornady reloading dies. The thing that has always caught my eye with them is they have a sleeve that helps align the bullet. I reload on a single stage press and always get a few round where it is obvious the bullet is not seated straight. People say it really doesn't matter, they all shoot, but it absolutely drives me nuts. The Hornady seating/ crimping dies eliminated that for me with minimal bell of the case.

I took a couple of extra days off before TG specifically to get some of those things done that I have been saying I will get done.
Loaded 40 rounds of 7-30 Waters (120 Gr. Nosler BT over 32 Gr of 4895)and took them to the range to sight in a Contender. that done now I have to finish loading some 300 WM and some 264 WM.

Prepped 500 308 Winchester cases (new from the 90's). Neck expanded and kissed with the Giraud to chamfer. Last night I cleaned the brass in a water/vinger/soap/salt solution as it had some spots on it. Then tumbled it in walnut. Looks damn good now :)

20211124_185903.jpg

20211124_194013.jpg