• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Sidearms & Scatterguns what holster for a 1911?

razor100

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 13, 2006
Oconomowoc, WI
not doing any concealed carry just for walking around on the property and carrying it hunting and using it at the range maybe some 3 gun>? looking at a safariland 6004 but am way confused!

Check out Blue Ridge Holsters. Cheap enough, some new designs like their Urban EDC design and comfortable.

There is guy local to me who does OWB kydex for $35 shipped. Bet he'd make you one. I've got one of his too for my M&P 9c and I like it. His company is called Zeus Customs.

Safariland is pretty nice stuff, for what you are looking for there are many options for cheaper. My buddy ordered one from high desert custom kydex and likes it.

I have holsters from Blue Ridge, Zeus, and a mag pouch from High Desert. All work and I didn't spend Raven Concealment money for any of it. Not to mention all those companies have very short lead times on top of their affordable prices.

Last edited:
It will be pretty difficult to find a holster that will do all those things well. Some compromises will have to be made. In other words, you may find one that is great for carrying while you hunt with a rifle, but the same holster probably won't work up to the level you hope for at a 3-gun match. The holster that works great at a 3-gun match, probably won't give your pistol the protection it may need for hunting. When hunting with a rifle, I prefer a flap holster, or holster with some type of security device. For 3-gun matches, I prefer a friction retention holster as they allow for faster, more consistent access.

I guess the saying that keeps popping into my mind is "Jack of all trades, master of none." In the long run, I think you would be happier with a holster for hunting, and another one for 3-gun matches. Good holsters don't have to be extremely expensive as there is so much competition for your money now. Kydex holsters can be very reasonably priced, and do a great job for 3-gun matches. However, you need to be careful of your firearm's finish as any grit that gets into the kydex holster can quickly wear the finish off your pistol. Many people mistakenly blame the kydex for ruining the finish of their pistol. It isn't the kydex as kydex is softer than steel...it is the junk that gets between the kydex and your pistol that causes the problem. Leather holsters aren't as prone to these problems though.

Because my wife used to be from Oconomowoc, I'll be happy to send you a really nice 1911 holster (for free...sort of a pay it forward) with a flap over it for hunting. It is canvas and leather with a sort of sheepskin lining and would really protect your pistol nicely. I haven't used it for years so you are welcome to it if you want. That way, you can just look for a nice holster for 3 gun shooting. PM me the address of where you would like the holster sent if you want it.

Last edited:
The Galco Avenger holster is pretty decent if you don't mind a traditional outside the waistband leather holster. I think the model number is AV212B

One of the best, most comfortable holsters I have found for range work and just outdoor work is the #5 holster from Erik Little at Rafter-L Gunleather. He calles it his BBQ holster because you can just wear it while in the backyard while BBQ'ing. Here is the link Holsters

Check out Raven concealment. Excellent retention holster that stays close to the body

EGA, I carry them to sell as they are my GO TO rig.

He can do with or without lights, he makes a IWB as well.

PM me for details

Last edited: