• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Gunsmithing What softened / dissolves JB Weld?

03psd

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 27, 2006
Oklahoma
I bed my scope base with JB Weld and now need to remove it. I got a little JB in one ob the screw hole and need to clean it out. What sort of solvent will soften cured JB Weld?

Re: What softened / dissolves JB Weld?

Take the action out of the stock first. Propane torch...small flame and heat it directly. You can pick it out with a small pointy object such as an ice pick. Remove the screws and hyeat the base and tap it and it will pop off easily. If you don't want to use the easy way, one of the paint removers that is advertised to remove epoxy paint may work...but will take a long time.

how about if i glued the action in the stock with it and i need to do so trigger work now. can i get it apart without killing the stock?

try putting it in the freezer for a few days then take out the screws out you may need to use a rubber hamer to help it out

Freezer usually works. Did you glue the barrel as well as the action? Action only, clamp the rifle level and set a clothes Iiron on the top of the action and get it hot. Then use the rubber hammer after the screws are out. You can also thread in a 3 inch long bolt with the same threads as your action screws and beat on the head of that bolt with a hammer to pound the action more vertically. If you glued the barrel too, a dip stick heater like you use in cars in cold weather (presuming your caliber will let one fit) will be useful to break that bond. If you can't get the barrel loose that way...sounds like a new stock.JMHO

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NineHotel</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Angle grinder. </div></div>

Either that or maybe Chuck Norris's Urine. LOL!

Sorry, couldn't resist. Good luck w/ getting it out of the JB Weld. Sounds like you have received some pretty sound advice already. Hopefully it will work.

JB will soften with gasoline if you don't want it to.

Heat also will soften it. Both make it like chewing gum at the worst possible time.

Not that I suggest heat and gasoline at the same time.... unless you want fire.

i just picked at it with a dental pick and eventally it basically unthreaded itself from the hole in the top of the receiver. when i got it all the way out it looked like a JB Weld Helicoil.