• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

What to do with an old intermediate length Mauser action?

GrendelShooter

Private
Minuteman
Jul 9, 2017
Behind enemy lines, Ca
What’s up snipers hide?
I have an old M48 Mauser (8mm Mauser) that’s only been fired 20 times in the last 18 years. It’s a Mitchell’s maulers import that was given to me as an 18th birthday present.
The rifle itself is in fine condition, basically new old stock.
I’d like to make it into a rifle I will actually shoot. I plan on throwing it into a Boyd’s at-one (only stock I can find for it) and adding CDI bottom metal as a matter of course, but I can’t decide on a cartridge because I don’t know what the action is capable of as far as strength and length.
280AI is very appealing but I’ve read it’ll be too long especially with longer bullets. I wouldn’t be opposed to a short action cartridge but it seems like a waste? I just don’t know.
Anyone ever played with one of these actions? Ideas?

A gunsmith friend of mine made quite a few into 376 Steyrs. Apparently it is the perfect length for that cartridge.

The action won't handle any '06 based cartridge. An option that nobody considers is 7.5x54mm French.

Now you are saying,"Why the fuck would I do that!?"...but if you happen to know that the 7.5 French is nothing more than the 6.5x55 necked up to 30 caliber, it makes a lot more sense. Literally, you take a 6.5x55 case and run into a 7.5 die and you are done.

6.5 Addiction... it's an improved version of the 6.5x55, which would be appropriate given the action's roots, IMO.

I hadn’t thought of the 6.5 Swede based cartridges. Would be nice to avoid getting in the Creedmoor bandwagon lol.
Also looking into the addiction, thanks!

Now, aside from cool factor what would the 7.5x54 have over 308?

I hadn’t thought of the 6.5 Swede based cartridges. Would be nice to avoid getting in the Creedmoor bandwagon lol.
Also looking into the addiction, thanks!

Now, aside from cool factor what would the 7.5x54 have over 308?
Room for 5 more grains of powder. The 7.5 French and 7.5 Swiss are ballistically identical when loaded to same pressures.

The consideration between them would be brass availability. I haven't checked 6.5x55 vs 7.5 Swiss on that issue.

I recently had an old k98 that had already been sportered rebarrelled to 6.5x55. I like the Swede and it's a good overall shooter with light recoil and brass is super easy to get. That being said if I could do it again:

A. I wouldn't do it again. It's almost embarrassing how much it cost after having the gunsmithing done, bottom metal, etc just to have something that a stock Tikka will outshoot at half the cost

B. If I HAD to do it again I'd just go 6.5 Creed so I would have the option of running factory ammo. It shoots as well as my handloads and is more than adequate for hunting.

My rifle still had Waffenamps/Swastikas, etc on it and with the high turret Weaver 3-10 and general sporter stock look I call it the "Mein 40." It's a neat gun and has character, but it took a lot of work. It was already drilled/tapped and appeared to be a very professional sporter job done way back in the day and the holes are still crooked. I was able to use Burris Signature Zee rings to compensate but it still bothers me.

If your rifle is not drilled/tapped and you plan on putting a scope on it, don't. It's going to be $$$ and lots of headache and frustration.

I recently had an old k98 that had already been sportered rebarrelled to 6.5x55. I like the Swede and it's a good overall shooter with light recoil and brass is super easy to get. That being said if I could do it again:

A. I wouldn't do it again. It's almost embarrassing how much it cost after having the gunsmithing done, bottom metal, etc just to have something that a stock Tikka will outshoot at half the cost

B. If I HAD to do it again I'd just go 6.5 Creed so I would have the option of running factory ammo. It shoots as well as my handloads and is more than adequate for hunting.

My rifle still had Waffenamps/Swastikas, etc on it and with the high turret Weaver 3-10 and general sporter stock look I call it the "Mein 40." It's a neat gun and has character, but it took a lot of work. It was already drilled/tapped and appeared to be a very professional sporter job done way back in the day and the holes are still crooked. I was able to use Burris Signature Zee rings to compensate but it still bothers me.

If your rifle is not drilled/tapped and you plan on putting a scope on it, don't. It's going to be $$$ and lots of headache and frustration.

Yeah, I know it’s be cheaper to just buy a Bergara and be done with it, but it would still leave me with a useless rifle that would just sit and take up space. Can’t have that.
My rifle is historically valueless. It was a dead end that went from the factory straight into long term storage.
As far as headache well that’s why I pay my gunsmith. Worst part of it all for me is that wait.
I’ll probably go with a proof barrel, looking really hard at 6.5x55ai. Would match the 30-06ai project that I need to get moving on. I rarely buy loaded ammo but being able to load/fire form the brass so easily as it is in the AI cartridges is a huge plus for me.
Cheap Lapua brass kinda seals the deal. Is only they made it for small rifle primers lol.