• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site updates coming next Wednesday at 8am CT!

The site will be down for routine maintenance on Wednesday 6/5 starting at 8am CT. If you have any questions, please PM alexj-12!

Movie Theater What's Your All-Time Favorite Western?

KillShot

Major Hide Member
Minuteman
May 25, 2010
Tulsa, Oklahoma
What's your all-time favorite western flick? There are many that come to mind but for some reason, there is one that stands out from all the rest. Maybe it's because of it being the first western I can remember seeing as a child but I dunno. Having a great theme certainly didn't hurt, either.

There are two kinds of people in this world; those with loaded guns and those who dig...

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXldafIl5DQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXldafIl5DQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Re: What's Your All-Time Favorite Western?

Cowboys with John Wayne. Watched as a kid and no little boy can get past that fantasy of being on a cattle drive.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h4everything</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cowboys with John Wayne. Watched as a kid and no little boy can get past that fantasy of being on a cattle drive. </div></div>

+1, I think I may Netflix it tonight!

any john wayne movie, but i really enjoyed unforgiven, i can't choose one, i generally love westerns

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turnandshoot4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'll admit it. I love Tombstone. </div></div>
There's no shame there. That movie is loaded with great scenes and quotes.

Lonesome Dove. I believe it's still the number one mini-series in several categories. Duvall still says it is the finest part he has ever had and that's going some. It's been added to "The Searchers" as a must watch in the cowboy community. There is not a mediocre performance by any of the principal actors/actresses and for several they were career bests IMHO.

Without a doubt my all time fav. is The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly, I also liked A Fistful of Dollars but it wasn't as good.
Jeremiah Johnson with Robert Redford is another favorite.
Some might disagree due to the casting, but The Quick and the Dead with Sharon Stone was a good movie too.

high planes drifter is pretty good (clint eastwood). i like the story. pretty much anything clint eastwood or john wayne is good. early john wayne movies are a little goofy. quigely down under is close to the top

Quigley Down Under is more of an aussie film but ok close enough. It does have a Sharps rifle and guys on horseback.

Good,Bad and Ugly. I've seen it enough times that its my own cult movie.
Enjoy all of Clints westerns, Fist full of dollars, The Outlaw Josey Wales... Would of loved to seen a sequel to the Unforgiven where he comes back like "he use to be".
The Magnificent Seven was great too.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: h4everything</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Cowboys with John Wayne. Watched as a kid and no little boy can get past that fantasy of being on a cattle drive. </div></div>

A big +1. When I see it on now I always start watching it and smile thinking of when I was little and saw it for the first time.

The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance!

Lee Marvin, John Wayne, Jimmy Stewart!

"No, sir. This is the West, sir. When the legend becomes fact, print the legend. "

Liberty Valance: You lookin' for trouble, Doniphon?
Tom Doniphon: You aim to help me find some?

or any John Ford Western with John Wayne.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: turnandshoot4</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ok, I'll admit it. I love Tombstone. </div></div>

Mine also without a doubt is tombstone, to me there is no performance of doc better than vals. I love the movie, but doc is what makes tombstone great to me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: wilshire1412</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Professionals with Lee Marvin and Burt Lancaster is at least in my top 3. </div></div>

^^^ Number 1 ^^^

Last line in the movie:

"You bastard!" Lee Marvin, "Yes sir, me... a happening at birth, but you sir... You're a self-made man."

Great Movie and Burt Lancaster was THE man.

professionalses0aa.jpg

RIO BRAVO 1st: THE SEARCHERS 2nd: Anything John Wayne is a favorite Western!!

Hard to say. Just about any John Wayne or Clint Eastwood flick. But I'd have to say my favorite was the tv series "Cheyenne" with Clint Walker.

I would have to say for me, The Outlaw Josey Wales is my favorite. I also really liked, Pale Rider, Dances with Wolves, and most of John Wayne's movies. Just watched The Shootist the other day...great movie.

Once-upon-a-time-in-the-west-charles-bronson-henry-fonda.jpg

The opening scene is a classic. And not a single word spoken for about 8 minutes.

THE best alltime scene in a movie so that makes this one my favorite. The Wild Bunch, Unforgiven, The Shootist are all a very close second.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What's your all-time favorite western flick? There are many that come to mind but for some reason, there is one that stands out from all the rest. Maybe it's because of it being the first western I can remember seeing as a child but I dunno. Having a great theme certainly didn't hurt, either.

There are two kinds of people in this world; those with loaded guns and those who dig...

The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXldafIl5DQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sXldafIl5DQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>
</div></div>

Glenn Ford: The Sheepman and Fastest Gun Alive
Clint Eastwood Trilogy as mentioned by others

The Outlaw Josey Whales.

Lonesome Dove (although a mini-series)

As a FYI:
Larry McMurtry took the idea of Lonesome Dove from a book called "Charles Goodnight, Cowman and Plainsman" by J. Evetts Haley. One of my all time favorites.

having a hard time remembering what some of these are about...guess ill have to watch em all again
grin.gif

A toss up for me between Rio Lobo and Big Jake. Rio Lobo was the first John Wayne movie I remember seeing, somewhere around 35 or so years ago now.

+10000 The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Red River (John Wayne)
Jeremiah Johnson

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGpajGj07BU"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JGpajGj07BU" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

"Why Johnny Ringo, you look like somebody just walked over your grave." Never gets old..

Something i've always wondered about tombstone.. is doc saying "I'm your huckleberry" or "I'm your huckle bearer"? The huckle bearer would make more sense IMO but i can't tell.

Tom Horn w/ Steve McQueen

<span style="font-style: italic">The Searchers, The Professionals, Nevada Smith</span>.

The good, bad, and ugly for sure is my number 1.
Tombstone and a Fist full of Dollars are in my top favorites as well.

Mine has to be <span style="text-decoration: underline">The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly</span>, too; I'll give it the lead over <span style="text-decoration: underline">Once Upon a Time in the West </span>only because I <span style="font-style: italic">think</span> I've watched it more times--and that's a pure guess.. I havta have watched them each in their entirety at least once a year every year since they were released. (Man, I need a life...)

But for my best also-rans, I've got two "newcomers" to this thread--

<span style="font-weight: bold">Valdez is Coming</span>
"Sharps. Or some kind of buffalo gun. Or a cannon. He can shoot, an' he know when to move, and we have lost 5 more..."

<span style="font-weight: bold">Hombre</span>
"Cicero Grimes, meet John Russell"

Tombstone and Unforgiven were good, but they both lacked a 'grittiness' that seemed present to me in my 4 nominations; Unforgiven was the better of the two.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 58MOD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Another vote for Unforgiven. </div></div>

My pick as well..

"The Long Riders"

Actors.
The Keach brothers = Jesse and Frank James
The Carradine brothers = Cole, Jim and Bob Younger
The Quaid brothers = Ed and Clell Miller
The Guest brothers = Charlie and Robert Ford

One hell of a kick ass movie!

"'Cause you're a whore, and you'll always be a whore."
Grasshopper Carradine to his girlfriend.

Watched The Outlaw Josey Wales yesterday. Good movie, but Clint's directing wears on me at times.
It did however remind me of another western I need to watch again, Man in the Wilderness (1971).