• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

What's your favorite App for 2017 (iOS & Android)?

What's your favorite App for 2017 (iOS & Android)?

• Total voters

random101

Minuteman
Feb 19, 2017
G'day guys,

I know this gets done to death every now and then but I think it's time we start a thread for 2017.

Just trying to determine what your favorite all round ballistics app is?

What gives you the most bang for buck?
Kept most up to date?
Features?
Accuracy?
Ease of use / shots down range?
Diary/shot history?
Compatibility (Weatherflow and others, iPhone's features)?

In app purchases are a minus.

So far I've looked at
  • Strelok pro
  • Ballistic Advanced
  • Ballistics ARC
  • TRASOL
  • iSnipe
  • Other

Would love to hear people genuine unbiased reviews.

p.s. If you've voted please leave a comment as to why it's your preferred app.

Last edited:
I thought Strelok would have a few more feature.
Its a relateivly simplistic app that gets the job done. I'd rate the interface 6 or 7 out of 10 as it's biggest downfall. Apart from that it's pretty solid.

Edit: It's really started to grow on me - has plenty of options and is kept the most uptodate. Just takes some getting use to to find where to navigate (to said options).

Last edited:
I'd include Shooter on the list, as mentioned above. I use TRASOL primarily, but think Shooter has a better method for organizing firearms and loads.

To make you feel any better I agree 100% but prefer AB a tad more than Shooter. Shooter got me forst round hits at a Mile. I now use TRASOL mostly. It just needs some small adjustments and upgrades. I do like the bullet library and custom drags on AB

My wife thinks I only have 3 guns

TRASOL is basically Coldbore in non-Windows form, and FFS fails to make itself available for any commonly used platforms. This thread is about Android/iOS based usage.

I could have swore that it didn't originally say Android or iOS in the title - but maybe it did. My bad if it did - it's been a crazy week!

Currently it appears the two front runners are Trasol and Strelok.

Both seem to be great and on par with each other. I think I prefer Strelok as how often it's updated (the developer is really interactive).

BallisticsARC is pretty sweet with the weather meter and ranging from the map. There's a Competition mode where you just plug in the distances for your targets and it gives you an exact dope card for the stage.

Reactions: colorado_native
I've really only had experience with Ballistic AE but that's because once I downloaded it I was very impressed with its accuracy. First time I took it out longer range I scored a first round hit at 800 based on the solution it gave me. From there I did some truing but it was very close at every yardage.

I really like the HUD feature. It allows you to dial yardage/wind and gives you the clicks.

do some of the others have a similar feature? I would be willing to try out some different apps too.

I've really only had experience with Ballistic AE but that's because once I downloaded it I was very impressed with its accuracy. First time I took it out longer range I scored a first round hit at 800 based on the solution it gave me. From there I did some truing but it was very close at every yardage.

I really like the HUD feature. It allows you to dial yardage/wind and gives you the clicks.

do some of the others have a similar feature? I would be willing to try out some different apps too.

Shooter has a similar scrolling HUD

6c7be614dc3b5cc455b9049ca037caee.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ditto as does Strelok, I found it to be most up to date with the lastest scopes (even ones which are on pre order).

Attachments

• photo48394.png
    photo48394.png
    15.7 KB · Views: 106
For me -- no winner yet (Android platform); in the field, good old range cards still work better.
Trasol's got a very nice and smart user interface, but does not understand Lapua curves, and last time I looked V0-vs-temp variations had to be done manually.
AB has a rather clumsy UI, and a couple of highly annoying bugs in metric units, which they don't bother to fix for years.
Strelok is ok, but displays lots of useless data -- don't like the cluttered display. (But equipment import/export feature is very nice, and does not try to drag me into some kind of a "cloud computing" solution.) That's the one that I happen to use from time to time, although I am not fully satisfied.
For the complete picture, Lapua's 3DOF solver only work for Lapua bullets, and thus was never a serious candidate for me. Lapua's 6DOF is over-cluttered for a field/portable app, drains battery in minutes, and has a show-stopping bug with air pressure input.
Did not give any thorough test to any others.

Last edited:
My data cards are my primary but for apps I like TRASOL and BallisticARC, with a slight edge to TRASOL

I like AB for the simple fact you can back up your data and restore it after you drop your phone in a lake.

Anyone ever use BulletFlight? It comes in a number of versions, up to being priced as if it is Applied Ballistics. Thanks.

I got Android and have been using Strelok Pro and getting ready to try Ballistics Arc. The developer for Strelok is very responsive. Would try Trasol but the app store says it is incompatible with my tablet.

I'm new to PRS so take my experience with a grain of salt. I can't comment on the others because I've only used Shooter (Android). Out to 600 it was dead on. At 800 it was .4 mil high but that could've been my entered velocities. I shot the 800 yds at 65 F and my velocities were recorded at 42 F. I think there is a place to enter velocities at different temps, but I'm still learning how to use Shooter.

I've been using Strelok in 3 gun for the past several years. As i'm just getting into PRS I think i'm going to give the AB app a go. It seems to have some useful features that Strelok is missing.

The developer for Strelok is very responsive.

This, I asked him about google earth range finding, he says he working on it, as well as an adjustment for windage.

He admits his strong point isn't the interface side to things, but the engine behind it is solid.

I've only used Ballistic Arc with the weather flow meter personally. I just used it during a 2 week sniper school, and it was pretty spot on as far as weather data compared to a teammates kestrel with AB. Drops and wind corrections were also similar. Although they weren't accurate. For example, my correction for 300 was U6 but both the kestrel and ballistic arc called for U5. That isn't the only distance they got wrong, but most everyone else's corrections were off. Not sure what was going on as I've never had an issue like that before.

I get identical results with Strelok and Trasol. I like some added features on Trasol, but cannot get answers on basic functions. No support equals no vote.

Sterlok Pro here as well, it does everything I need,and is easy to use. Has been spot on out to 800 for me.
As others have said the Developer is quick to respond. It just works.

Strelok Pro here.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I love the simplicity of Ballistics ARC and it gives me pretty accurate solutions also the $80.00 BT weather meter that you can use along with it is way cheaper than any Kestrel with BT before that I was liking Mil Dot Balistics.

Another vote for Strelok pro. Been using it for about 3 years now. I have found that as long as you put in good data it is right on. If the shot is off (and not human factor) it is because you did not update data to current temps, wind, your bullets were sitting in the sun so the powder temp was higher than what was input etc. Good data = good calc. The developer keeps adding new features which has greatly improved it over time.

iphone 6s. been using shooter since it was released years ago. the ability to upload your data to the cloud is VERY helpful

what makes me very frustrated is i purchased Field Firing solutions years ago.... the windows version. then they discontinued it. and its only compatible with windows vista and below. so i pretty much threw 150 dollars down the drain!

Last edited:
I've got a few of them on my iPhone....Strelok Free, Strelock Pro, Ballistic AE, Shooter, iSnipe, BallisticsARC......out of all of them I really like Strelok Pro. Ballistic AE would be my 2nd go to as far as phone APs.

I have Strelok Pro and the Applied Ballistics, and I prefer the Strelok for ease of use. I've also been using Strelok for a lot longer and it has served me well.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Does Strelok work with the Horus reticles? For some reason they're all marked out on the reticles list.

For iOS or Android, my list goes as follows : Strelok, Ballistics AE, Shooter and AB. However when doing real LR work I turn on Coldbore and presto!

I like the usability of Ballistics Arc the best and then AB. Mostly because I'm a cheap bastard and I can use the Ballistics Arc without paying anything...

I really like BallisticArc. Especially the gps range feature. I've been using another app to measure distance and it's nice to have it all in one app. JBM solution is top notch too. Shot angle, direction are easy to set. Integrates with anemometers. Really can't ask for more.

Is there a reason Applied Ballistics is not on the list and if Litz created these apps is there a reason many prefer Shooter over AB? I do appreciate your replies.........thank you.

I seriously dislike Strelok. Am I the only one?? Seems un-intuitive. The interface sucks. Maybe I'm just a knuckle dragger. Shooter works fine for me.

I’m running several of these on IOS. Trasol works the best, AB has been spotty on how accurate it is, and I really like Ballistics Arc but past 1000yds I have to do a lot of truing to get it right. I’ve also got Ballistic AE and it works well to 1000yds but I struggle with the interface. Trasol is easy, cheap, and the most accurate with the least amount of headache in my humble opinion.

I’m running several of these on IOS. Trasol works the best, AB has been spotty on how accurate it is, and I really like Ballistics Arc but past 1000yds I have to do a lot of truing to get it right. I’ve also got Ballistic AE and it works well to 1000yds but I struggle with the interface. Trasol is easy, cheap, and the most accurate with the least amount of headache in my humble opinion.

What we've been saying for a long time. Trasol running Patagonia's engine is the most accurate app hands down.

What we've been saying for a long time. Trasol running Patagonia's engine is the most accurate app hands down.

It’s also the least supported. They hyped it, released it, charged a ton for it and basically have done nothing since.

I like the usability of Ballistics Arc the best and then AB. Mostly because I'm a cheap bastard and I can use the Ballistics Arc without paying anything...
I had to use these tools on my Android , but once i switch to the iPhone , the app can not be supported,