• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Where do snipers carry their pistols ?

Re: Where do snipers carry their pistols ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lindy</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't really want to get a thigh holster. They are in my opinion to slow to draw from. Pulling your sidearm from a belt holster can much much faster. I guess that's the answer then.</div></div>

Well, if it's slower than a belt holster, the thigh holster is too low. It should be possible to place a full firing grip on the pistol without having to dip your shoulder or lock out your elbow.

A properly fitted thigh holster should place the grip of the weapon at the same height as your hand when you're standing with your arms relaxed and your shoulder level.

I'm just as fast from my 6004 as I am from my belt holster.
</div></div>

Thanks for the info. I saw a modded 6004 that looked interesting.

There is no speed difference like Lindy said proper placement is important.

It's your money and training time so get what you want but keep in mind if your only using it for the range or hunting then I say go with a belt holster you can conceal and will carry everyday if you decide to get a carry permit.

I have seen all types of people who are use to drawing from holster position A and then go to a different style of holster for a certain mission or off duty carry that holds the pistol in a different spot. Where ever they have trained the most or most recent is where their hand will go to find the pistol when it is needed. Remember every draw you do wheter it is to put your pistol away for the night or take a shot is training your doing for when your life may depend on it.

There is an old saying, "Be wary of the man with one gun, he may know how to use it".

Same goes for holsters try not to change things up too much. Pike a syatem or two that works and use it.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What attitude? I am not a sniper or anything like that and I was wondering if REAL trained USMC snipers carry side arms in the field. I read the 93 confirmed kills book about Carlos and noticed he never had any kind of handgun. Is this how it really is or was for military trained sharp shooters. </div></div>
I only came across this because of an internet poll I was conducting about tactical thongs. Good on ya, Shag.

Amazing that there are so many levels to fascination. I don't think Charles really knew what he was starting when he penned that book, but certainly he did not think adults would be crawling around in the woods with ghillie suits and thigh rigs after deer and squirrels... I often wonder what the result would have been if he had instead used an 0341 with 279 confirmed, with that latter word being one of great speculation these days, even in the Marine sniper community. Which, by the way, in some circles use the abbreviation St. as an acronym for 'shit the,' as in wearing St. scivvies, or Joe St. Ragman. If you don't get it, you won't get it. Continuing to ride this train of thought, this could mean that your moniker implies that you "shit the mike" in a Limp Bizkit sort of way...

<span style="font-style: italic">I don't even know what I should say
Cause I'm an idiot, a loser, a microphone abuser
I analyse every second I exist
Beatin' up my mind every second with my fist</span>

but I only say this to imply that you sure talk tough on the internet when some people were just checking to see how you would handle it. Come on. You choose to call yourself the Commander of the Army of God? The patron of policemen and paratroopers? And then choose to cuss at people that simply gave you a short, sharp shock?

I am not satisfied that I know enough about anything but I mostly wore a pistola in an issued black leather chest rig that fit tightly near my left armpit. I recently was issued a new one by a member of this site.

The answers you so desperately seek are simple ones.

They do carry sidearms if they want to and the T/E is not distributed another way.
GySgt Hathcock sometimes carried one. Other times he did not.
The Marine sniper of today wears it where he wants it.

So where do you sniper guys carry your knifes?
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dirty Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So where do you sniper guys carry your knifes?
grin.gif
</div></div>

In our teeth...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lonewolf'</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I have a bazooka in my pants; a block of C4 and razor wire in my ass just in case I am taken prisoner.

Lw </div></div>

With your permission, I may begin using this as a pickup line when I see a hot chick at the bar - there is no way...no waaaaay I can fail with a come-on like that!
laugh.gif

Michael- I don't believe the initial silliness was even directed at you. Your retort though was over the top and you were told to calm down which thankfully you did before this thread became completely worthless. Personally, if I had seen this thread earlier I would have made fun of Gough for saying the sidearm is pretty much just to shoot yourself. Sorry Gough, but my old M24 was not exactly the best tool for clearing buildings so it would get slung on my back and the M9 would come out to play.

As for myself, I carried the M9 in a thigh holster back then and still do. Back then it was a Blackhawk holster, now it's a Safariland. I shortened the belt strap quite a bit and added a fastex buckle to it for quick release. Only morons wear them with the belt strap all the way extended with the pistol swinging all over the place down at their knee.

Thigh holsters are a good overall spot for military purposes. We don't really crawl in the prone that much compared to just laying in the prone, but even then it is accesible just try not to bang up your pistol too bad. If you mount it on the front of a tac vest it can be pretty inaccessible in the prone and definitely take a beating while low-crawling. Having it in a belt holster on the side could be ok I guess, but with body armor on comfort could be an issue. Putting it in a belt holster in your back would surely have issues for accessibility and comfort when humping a rucksack around. This is all from a military perspective though and your needs are probably a bit different from the sounds of it.

By the way, being a single-parent by itself is not a disqualifier. I used to be a recruiter (woe be unto me) and the only female I ever put in was a single mom. She just had to sign a notarized document saying she would give physical custody of her son to her mom for the length of her first enlistment. Once she was done with basic training and AIT, she brought her son to her duty station to live with her. Too easy.

McCrazy was recruiting strippers...

"I am an E-2. That makes me one pay grade above dirt. I am gravel, and with that awsome responsibility of E-2ness I am to be humble during all interactions of those who are superior to me, or I do not know much about." - lucky308

Dude, the basic fact that you hold military rank places you in the Warrior Caste which is lateral from the Clerics, and just under The All Mighty
wink.gif

Never humble yourself to a civilian UNLESS it is to graciously say,"I do it because I can" when thanked for your service and sacrifices. We have earned that place above those who will not, cannot, and do not know what it is like to serve.
Not do not take that to be insulting to you St. Mike. You have a worse job than many here with your responsibilities. Thicken your skin if you want to hang in this environment of Type A personalities. Many of we herein have served long and hard tours in the military. Many of us have seen our share of death, destruction, mayhem, and maimed people, some enough to last a lifetime.
You will find the first answer to a question like your initial one will be thrown back at you with the vigor of baiting an angry Boar. We do it because we like to see if you are ready. Obviously, you have alittle way to grow before that. If you search for sniper pictures, you will see a few different places where pistols go.
As to the Bianchi flap holster, it was removed from inventory and has been replaced with stuff that attaches to MOLLE made of polymers that are maybe more durable.

Ladies, be glad he isn't another Maser or lazy21

To all those without the same sense of humour: yes, a 9 or 45 caliber pistol has usefulness for a sniper and the official military position is that it is not for committing suicide. I was totally out of line to interject some humour to a single dad who posts girlfriend pics named St. Michael the Archangel of Heaven that wants to buy a holster that looks like the one the "snipers" use that doesn't feel that advice based on function is sufficient. Also, a pistol might not be the best weapon for some "sniper" who is going house to house to clear out terrorists, but it would be better than an M24 or M40. I hope that clears everything up.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ladies, be glad he isn't another Maser or lazy21 </div></div>

I never took you for a "Glass is Half Full" kinda guy.
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: St.Michael</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vulcan</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> <div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am not military and can't be. </div></div>

Can't?

</div></div>

I am a single dad. </div></div>

Then carry your pistol in this double duty bag. The deer won't notice it when you are crawling after them. They are colorblind.

backpackpurse-barbie.jpg

Lowlight is correct, most of us carry our knives in our teeth, while crawling our entire route plan to the objective, in a ghillie suit as well. Also, most of us also bring waterproofed copies of Death From Afar to our FFP's so that we're constantly learning something. Knowledge is power.

S/F

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Lowlight is correct, most of us carry our knives in our teeth, while crawling our entire route plan to the objective, in a ghillie suit as well. Also, most of us also bring waterproofed copies of Death From Afar to our FFP's so that we're constantly learning something. Knowledge is power.

S/F </div></div>

awesome_takes_practice.jpg

That is funny!

St. Michael.

In a previous comment you talked about speed advantage drawing from a belt versus a thigh rig... Hmmmmm What do you need the speed for? Planning on any 1800 era gunfights?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sosicmcise</div><div class="ubbcode-body">That is AWESOME dude!!! </div></div>
Laugh if you want to, but you should collect the entire series if you want to teach your kids responsibility.

de0953.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: GoughIsland</div><div class="ubbcode-body">To all those without the same sense of humour: yes, a 9 or 45 caliber pistol has usefulness for a sniper and the official military position is that it is not for committing suicide. I was totally out of line to interject some humour to a single dad who posts girlfriend pics named St. Michael the Archangel of Heaven that wants to buy a holster that looks like the one the "snipers" use that doesn't feel that advice based on function is sufficient. Also, a pistol might not be the best weapon for some "sniper" who is going house to house to clear out terrorists, but it would be better than an M24 or M40. I hope that clears everything up. </div></div>

If it assures you in anyway... I got that it was a joke.

smile.gif

Did a quick search on that Bianchi and it says its fits revovlers and most semi autos. Is it safe to assume that my 1911 will fit in it?
I hope by posting in here I don't hit in the face with some something. Hay whats that flying at me?
shocked.gif
Run for cover!

Chupe, yes your .45 will fit in it. We were issued them waaaaayyyy back in the early 80's when I was in the Corps. The slick kit for that particularholster was the shoulder/chest rig that went with it so one could mount it left chest or under the shoulder. We would flip the flap back underneath to leave it open so we could be cool and draw faster if we needed it. Kinda funny though, considering that aeriel gunners had the power of either a GAU2B or an M60D from the 46's we were in.

Wikipedia, or, the dictionary encyclopedia than many can change, contribute to, or make a definition to suit their purposes or design says:

St Michael is also considered in many Christian circles as the patron saint of the warrior

180px-Guido_Reni_031.jpg

Funny, the patron saint of Warriors doesn't have rifle nor pistol...

Looks more like he was a grunt nco or somethin...

group buy on the single mom support shirts?

I cannot stand anything on my legs.

Always winds up as a twisted jock strap.

I have worn a ghillie suit ONE TIME operationally in 20 years on the rifle.

I carry my pistol in a holster right in the center of my chest/IBA. Or ... in a Bianchi flap type on my hip.

Marketing is far too often driven by those who do not/have never done the job for real.

Sounds good ... looks cool ... but doesn't work for shiite.

St michael.

Just look around you and carry it whewrever the other airsofters carry theirs.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Hasher</div><div class="ubbcode-body">St michael.

Just look around you and carry it whewrever the other airsofters carry theirs.

</div></div>

Whewever, Classic, unadulterated Hasherism.

What do you folks think about tankers holsters? Even those of us who deploy in an urban environment in LE situations often end up crawling along yards, parks, driveways, etc. The thigh holster I have, Safariland, never fails to get full of dirt in these situations. I have seriously been considering a nylon MP "flap" style holster.

One of our more experienced colleagues suggested tanker holsters, the kind where your pistol is kept up in your chest. I use a chest rig for my other stuff so the holster would not fit. Others, who carry their gear more in the lower back and hips, might find it useful. It avoids the dirt mostly and is easy to access from the prone. Sure, if you are really low low crawling it might be a problem.

Mike

The old tankers holsters (M-48 an M-60)were used by lots of guys back when. I've not seen the new stuff, but it's likely not Tacticool enough for most now.

I used to use a Thigh Rig. When moving while standing I kept on side of thigh. When I went to ground I moved holster around to back of leg so I did not plow with it.

Thigh holster is often answer for tactical because its always with you and does not force you higher off ground when you crawl

A thigh mount is great for driving the tactical vehicles as well as it places the pistol wher it can be reached...so long as you aren't fighting the steering wheel of the vehicle as the combat lock comes open and the regular lock fails and your door opens in the middle of the ville

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Switchblade45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">A thigh mount is great for </div></div>

...avoiding unwanted pregnancies.
laugh.gif

I would ask this guy

ROBOCOP.jpg

Google Gecko45 he is probably the greatest operator that has ever lived.

I would heed and follow his advice.

I googled it. Wow. Amazing.

Gecko 45 is the schizznit.

He is the man that protects America behind the scenes that you will never see however his contribution to the safety of our country is immesurable.

Wow, this thread and the read on Gecko 45 was quite entertaining! Thanks.

I like how some guys just get bent out of shape, when someone is having fun. Like the best Zombie weapon tread.

I carry mine in a folded newspaper on Sundays.

OMG! My head is spinning!!!!! lol, yes they carry sidearms, and it depends on personal preference where they carry it. They train with sidearms for close combat situations. A sniper can find himself in a precarious spot once in a while. (not claiming to be Bravo-4) but I use a Serpa on a thigh rig.

I was going to add some smart ass stuff to those who really dont know what they are talking about and giving advise on it, but I have a head ache now and I think I better go lay down before it becomes worse and climb a clock tower somewhere, lol. Maybe I shouldnt have written that, considering all the democrat internet cops out now....hmmm, oh well.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry mine in a folded newspaper on Sundays. </div></div>

Can't forget the old standby of a brown paper bag.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diver95b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry mine in a folded newspaper on Sundays. </div></div>

Can't forget the old standby of a brown paper bag.</div></div>

Don't forget the wife's purse

pistols...... not your balls