• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Fieldcraft Where do snipers carry their pistols ?

Re: Where do snipers carry their pistols ?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Badd Kharma</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Diver95b</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I carry mine in a folded newspaper on Sundays. </div></div>

Can't forget the old standby of a brown paper bag.</div></div>

Don't forget the wife's purse </div></div>

Careful, she might use it on you.....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">pistols...... not your balls</div></div>

HAHAHAHAHAH DAMN!!!

I think CKA is AKA Gecko45!! HAHAHAHAHAHA

Ask CKA what he has under the seat on his golfcart...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shaggyback</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Ask CKA what he has under the seat on his golfcart... </div></div>

Hopefully a flask and some good moonshine.

Yeah you didn't hear? I made Team DPMS so now I have a standard issued golf cart and gigantic stickers to put on my truck's camper shell and trailer. You'll see me rolling at RO with it. Gonna be nice now that I am exempt from all competition rules.

The link to Gecko45 is some of the funniest shit I have read in ages.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">We use modified electric vehicles and can be anywhere on a given floor within eight and a half minutes</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">we lock up the situation, put everything five by five</div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">when my wife picks me up from work I strap on the “Deadly Duo”</div></div>

Thanks man, I still haven't stopped laughing

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-style: italic">"...our team saved the life and possibly the virginity of the Mayor’s nephew"</span></div></div>
That's <span style="font-style: italic">beyond</span> awesome.

I’VE DRUNK ENOUGH RUM TO FLOAT
THE USS YORKTOWN, SNORTED MY
BODY WEIGHT IN COCAINE,
SMOKED ENOUGH DOPE TO CONTRIBUTE
SIGNIFICANTLY TO THE DEFORESTATION
OF JAMAICA,
GROWN TOMATOES,
CHEWED ROPE,
DANCED, FRENCH KISSED, ROMANCED,
FUCKED, FARTED, FOUGHT,
SHOT THE MOON,
DROVE BIG TRUCKS, SUNG THE
NATIONAL ANTHEM AT THE
OPENING OF COCK FIGHTS,
I’VE BEEN TO JANESVILLE, MAINE, SPAIN,
SPOKANE AND FORT WAYNE,
SEEN THREE WORLDS FAIRS,
BEEN AROUND THE WORLD TWICE,
LOOKED DANGER IN THE FACE,
SEEN GOATS FUCK IN THE MARKET PLACE,
BUT I AIN’T NEVER SEEN NO SHIT
LIKE THE SHIT THAT GOES ON AROUND
THIS PLACE!!

St Michael,

The one bit of advice I would give you is "Get Nylon". The constant action of your leg moving is going to Chaaf your leg if you decide on a thigh rig. I not in any more but I have 3 shoulder rigs and they are all nylon. You need something that is goingt to be confortable and not irritate your skin.

be aware of the environment that you will be using it in and adapt your choice accordingly.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yeah you didn't hear? I made Team DPMS so now I have a standard issued golf cart and gigantic stickers to put on my truck's camper shell and trailer. You'll see me rolling at RO with it. Gonna be nice now that I am exempt from all competition rules. </div></div>

Don't get me started on that one

can't we all just get along?
(famous last words from reginold denny)
this buttersucks! can someone pass the salt?

Im still kind of curious how sniper teams carry their side arms and all the extra gear they carry and their pack while wearing a ghille suit. It seems like using a thigh holster would be kind of difficult to secure over a ghille suit and kind of hard to reach under a ghille suit. any thoughts?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sasqatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im still kind of curious how sniper teams carry their side arms and all the extra gear they carry and their pack while wearing a ghille suit. It seems like using a thigh holster would be kind of difficult to secure over a ghille suit and kind of hard to reach under a ghille suit. any thoughts? </div></div>

They use little pistol drag bags. They drag them behind the bigger rifle drag bags.

i agree with lindy. i have a safariland and like it for kicking in doors but as for low crawl scenarios with the m-24 you'd better bianchi that m-9 high and far back or youll likely have crud in it if things go so south you find yourself drawing it. so tell your arch angel buddies whatever you like st michael but im sure most would agree that snipers use their common sense and what works for any given scenario.

The spotter carries a pistol for me.

fashion%20gun%20300.jpg

St. Michael,

I'm a bit O'le school compared to some of these guys I'm sure; but I can say with absolute surety from my own actual experience; a sniper DOES require a side arm. There will be many times when either traversing through or close to urban area obstacles, and especially when entering structures you intend to use as your FFP, or clearing through, you will have to transition to it. And having it suppressed is an absolute, or dont use it; transition to the Randall, or what ever knife is stylish these days.

Now as to where to stow it. Again, older school, 1980's/90's, we were still pretty much stuck with the std LBE. We always placed the gear on the sides, and back of course, i.e. ruck, mag pouch's, med pouch, side arm ect, and up the back as well; pretty much where ever zip ties and 100mph tape allowed. I custom fabricated my holster so the pistol was rotated top foreward to a high degree for my own personal comfort. Key was keeping the entire front of our bodies clear as possible to creep.

Luckily today your not limited by the lowest bidder Vietnam era crap equipment recycled through us.

Can everyone say 'GREEN WART'? Ouch! I still have the friction scars on me! haha....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Captain Kick-Ass</div><div class="ubbcode-body">They use little pistol drag bags. They drag them behind the bigger rifle drag bags. </div></div>

WAAAAAAhahahaha! That's as good an idea as any.

I'm not any kind of sniper, just a very part time police type. I say, and even some people who know what they're doing say, NEVER carry a rifle without a pistol. Too many things can go wrong with rifles. I would suggest keeping sidearms on the belt as much as possible, since that's where, for many good reasons you should usually have it. The fastest way to do anything is: the same way you've always done it.

Some say you gotta have a thigh rig to deconflict with your other gear. Well, TRY IT with a normal belt rig and you may be surprised, as I rather was, that if I set up my duty belt correctly, I can put my carrier with Level IV plates right over my patrol gear and still get to everything. SWAT guys with different loadouts may not be able to do this, I wouldn't know.

I personally would also rather have my sidearm concealed, so it won't go clunk as loudly if I bump something, and it's protected from rain and dirt, not to mention the surprise factor, and anyway you should, to start with, be carrying concealed every day, just because. At highpower matches I still have my M9 in a Wild Bill's Concealment Summer Heat IWB holster and it doesn't interfere with shooting at all.

Maybe military snipers never approach closer than 100m to the target--but the target might decide to get less than 100m away from YOU.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Arch Stanton</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Continuing to ride this train of thought, this could mean that your moniker implies that you "shit the mike" in a Limp Bizkit sort of way...

</div></div>

OMG, I almost could not stop laughing long enough to type this, and in this thread thats saying a lot
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Where do snipers carry their pistols ?</div></div>

Wow this thread is hilarious !! LOL

But if this where a serious question the answer would be, wherever the individual sniper felt most comfortable with wearing it.
shocked.gif

In the cod piece he wears over his Ghillie Kilt. You really didn't know that?

People ask this pretty frequently. Where did you carry your beretta, I alwasy tell them I only carried it one place- Kandahar Airfield. It beat the hell out of carrying the SASS everywhere.

This is old school so just use it as reference, as you can see the pistol is carred in a positon of maximum comfort and performance.
43293d1333965401-original-mall-ninja-image-836497535.jpg

I am trying to wrap my mind around Gecko45. Is it possible that he's an Andy Kaufman type genius, that's a near incomprehensible amount of detachment. Almost too high functioning.

I'm boggled.

If it is an act, hat's off, beyond great.

Sorry, if this is old hat to most of you, but I just experienced this for the first time.
smirk.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 888</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sasqatch</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im still kind of curious how sniper teams carry their side arms and all the extra gear they carry and their pack while wearing a ghille suit. It seems like using a thigh holster would be kind of difficult to secure over a ghille suit and kind of hard to reach under a ghille suit. any thoughts? </div></div>

They use little pistol drag bags. They drag them behind the bigger rifle drag bags. </div></div>

Holy shit that is funny! No sniper worth his shit should be without one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jakelly</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I am trying to wrap my mind around Gecko45. Is it possible that he's an Andy Kaufman type genius, that's a near incomprehensible amount of detachment. Almost too high functioning.

I'm boggled.

If it is an act, hat's off, beyond great.

Sorry, if this is old hat to most of you, but I just experienced this for the first time.
smirk.gif
</div></div>

Yeah, I learned about Gecko45 years ago. He's an internet LEGEND. Been MANY imposters. But he just disappeared at some point, some think he was a genius making it all up, some think he was no-shit and went to jail for something stupid, maybe firearms related. Who knows. During his time, internet pranksters infiltrating forums to rile up shit were big though. Likely that is what he was, someone knowledgeable enough to pass off as a mall ninja extraordinaire. Pure original, pure classic.

You can consider your internet mall-ninja firearms training complete now. Gecko45 is Phd. level shit. The OP from almost four years ago could have gotten his answer from the almighty guru Gecko45's posts too, as he regularly mentioned his "loadout".

Thanks for bringing this back to life, funny, funny stuff. We really need a "Comedy Gold" archive around here.

When I am in my mall ninja ghille, going on a stalk, I like to keep my sidearm in my thunderwear.

My 2 cents....I tried numerous methods some good some really bad. What I found worked best for me was a "small of the back" carry. It allowed me access to my pistol in virtually every position with all measures of equipment on. For me among the worst was my thigh rig. It got in the way more than I can describe. It was an absolute liability on a stalk as it would hang up often. There is no BEST method. What any operator/sniper should do is practice and train with all your gear. Experiment and find what works best for YOU!