• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which ammo for zeroing

Ferryman

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2009
UK
I am going to zero my .308 Rem 700 SPS and wondered which brand of Ammo you guys recomend for out of the box performance.

I can get Fedral, Sako, Winchester and Lapua fairly easily.

Once I have it zeroed in then I can start looking getting all the kit and try my hand at hand loading

Re: Which ammo for zeroing

id zero with the FGMM 175s and what are you planning on shooting in your reloads?

Living where you do,

I would try out the lapua trainer line and then save those cases, better yet buy Lapua Scenar 175 and 155 and find out what you/your rifle like the best.

This side of the large water, Norma and Lapua will always be the two brands easiest to get hold of.

/Chris

FGMM 168 grain. No point in using 175 for sighting in a 100 yards it just costs more money and you won't see a real difference until at much further ranges. I'd use shitty ammo or boresight to get a rough 50 yard zero first.

Which ever gets you on paper and is consistant. If you plan to reload then you will either try to duplicate the factory load, or you will have to re-zero to what load you pick as a "go-to" round. Either way there is no specific brand to start with, try em all and see which one works best.

Unfortunately here in UK range time is at a premium so I was hoping to make the time as productive as possible, by drawing on the experience of others.

The rifle is already boresighted at 25 yards so it should be on the paper at 100yds

Hey SAS_Sniper

Whatever happend to goood old RG Green Spot

Ferryman, if you are shooting down at Bisley the range office has the NRA RUAG 155gr. It is a Sierra MatchKing in an RWS case. Has a BC of over 50. I think it is actually pretty decent and is the issued round issued by NRA for many competitions so if you plan to enter any then you should zero with it at some point. I also think it is less expensive and if you can find any of the 2009 (rather than 2010) they give you a healthy refund for returned cases.

Thanks TJ

Bisley is one of my options, it is just over an hours drive for me

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Swedish guy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Living where you do,

I would try out the lapua trainer line and then save those cases, better yet buy Lapua Scenar 175 and 155 and find out what you/your rifle like the best.

This side of the large water, Norma and Lapua will always be the two brands easiest to get hold of.

/Chris </div></div>

this sounds like the best advice, pick a grain and go. i reload. i got a great deal on 168g so thats what my next 1000 shots will be unless i develop a 155g or 175g. but reloads or not, id sight with what i shoot with. im not even really gonna sight in til i develop a load. then ill lock the turrets in. now im only looking at groups. but sight in with what yo will shoot the most and buy a case of that

Hi Axeman

Thats what I like about the USA go out and buy a case of ammo.

Man you guys would die at the restrictions here.

Your firearms certificate lists how many rounds you may possess at any one time and how many you may purchase at any one time. Every transaction is then listed on your certificate.

So if someone said I have 2k rounds you can have for free I would have to walk away

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ferryman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey SAS_Sniper

Whatever happend to goood old RG Green Spot </div></div>
Hi Ferry, what green spot?? Burris XTR???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SAS_Sniper</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ferryman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hey SAS_Sniper

Whatever happend to goood old RG Green Spot </div></div>
Hi Ferry, what green spot?? Burris XTR???

</div></div>

Seriously hope you're kidding!!
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Seriously hope you're kidding!!
laugh.gif
</div></div>

wink.gif
I prefere Lock base or D46 ... i can't find RG

Radway Green 7.62 Ammo

There was regular 7.62 for the SLR and GPMG then there was the Green Spot which was more akin to match grade ammo.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ferryman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Hi Axeman

Thats what I like about the USA go out and buy a case of ammo.

Man you guys would die at the restrictions here.

Your firearms certificate lists how many rounds you may possess at any one time and how many you may purchase at any one time. Every transaction is then listed on your certificate.

So if someone said I have 2k rounds you can have for free I would have to walk away </div></div>

wow, i didnt realize the restrictions you faced. if not a case, as many as possible from the same lot for consistancy. maybe a box of each to see what groups best and then buy the most you can of what shot best

will they let you reload? can you save brass and not have it count towards your total? i see guys here buy 500 at a time and then sight in and they are goood for the whole case. thats kinda what i was going for, the consistancy

Hi Axeman

Yes we can reload though we do not have the variety of components you guys have.

We can have as many component parts as we want and they do not count towards the total.

I have pails of .223 and .308 brass and will get into reloading my own.

I would reccomend HPS ammunition www.hps-tr.com

I used to use their 175 SMKs in the TRG22 and they were consistantly good.

I've heard good things about the NRA RUAG 155s from trusted sources, but have not used them myself - I prefered to stick with the one weight for all distances out to 1100.

Cheers.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: generalzip</div><div class="ubbcode-body">FGMM 168 grain. No point in using 175 for sighting in a 100 yards it just costs more money and you won't see a real difference until at much further ranges. I'd use shitty ammo or boresight to get a rough 50 yard zero first. </div></div>

I agree the Federal GMM 168's will do the job at less cost. You can move to the 175's if you end up shooting more than 600 yards.

I'm going to use some Portuguese or German DAG M80 ball to get my Rem 700 5R on paper after my SS 10x42 arrives, and then go to handloads. There is no sense wasting high performance ammo just to get your shots on paper and grouping near the bull.