• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which Benchmark Barrel Muzzle Brake to get for a new 6.5x47 Lapua barrel?

want2learn

Private
Minuteman
Sep 7, 2013
Hi, I finally saved up enough money., it's been a tough year for us but i really enjoy the sport.

I'm doing a 6.5x47 Lapua so i can better enjoy the sport and minimize the recoil impulse etc. Reloading helps a lot.

I was gifted (from a very generous member of this forum) a muzzle brake for the .308 and it's been absolutely wonderful and as such could not imagine shooting without one. Kind of considered just using it on both barrels but it took me a bunch of time to get it timed and fit so i'm a little reluctant to move it often.

I'm purchasing the 6.5x47 Lapua barrel from Benchmark Barrels in Washington. They offer a couple of different types of muzzle brakes. Figured it might be best to just have them install one and save me a bit of work.

Anyone have any experience with them? They have a couple of different types. Thanks

I would go with whatever Benchmark recommends. They are good guys who shoot a lot and know their stuff.
For anyone here to give a recommendation we would need more info.
Rifle and barrel stats, intended uses, etc

Personally I don’t like brakes at all, due to the noise and concussion, but they are very effective at reducing recoil

I understand and will certainly speak with them shortly. Thought i'd gain some insight prior to my call so that i was better informed.

I should have provided more information. I have a Sig rifle that one can rather easily switch barrels, Benchmark makes a barrel to fit the rifle.

I'm rather new to all of this but have taken a class and read a few books on the subject. I also try to learn from this forum. I'm trying to make a concerted effort to really learn the sport.

I hope one day to perhaps compete locally in medium range competitions... 1000 yard ranges are difficult to come by locally without significant travel distances, something that's hard for me to commit to just now. I would generally be concentrating my efforts at 100 - 600 yard ranges...all paper or steel shooting (not hunting). Most of the shooting will be prone or bench.

I guess I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations as some models follow the barrel contour perfectly and some types extend dimensionally beyond the contours of the barrel

thanks

I understand and will certainly speak with them shortly. Thought i'd gain some insight prior to my call so that i was better informed.

I should have provided more information. I have a Sig rifle that one can rather easily switch barrels, Benchmark makes a barrel to fit the rifle.

I'm rather new to all of this but have taken a class and read a few books on the subject. I also try to learn from this forum. I'm trying to make a concerted effort to really learn the sport.

I hope one day to perhaps compete locally in medium range competitions... 1000 yard ranges are difficult to come by locally without significant travel distances, something that's hard for me to commit to just now. I would generally be concentrating my efforts at 100 - 600 yard ranges...all paper or steel shooting (not hunting). Most of the shooting will be prone or bench.

I guess I was wondering if anyone had any particular recommendations as some models follow the barrel contour perfectly and some types extend dimensionally beyond the contours of the barrel

thanks
most people use an Area 419 Hellfire, Insite Heathen, APA Little Bastard etc. all self timing and very effective at recoil management. they're loud.

the blended brakes look more in place on a hunting rifle and won't be as effective due to their smaller size. theyre also more work because theyre timed exactly.

most people use an Area 419 Hellfire, Insite Heathen, APA Little Bastard etc. all self timing and very effective at recoil management. they're loud.

the blended brakes look more in place on a hunting rifle and won't be as effective due to their smaller size. theyre also more work because theyre timed exactly.

This!
I’d also mention Muzzlebrakesandmore.
They make a awesome self timing brake as well for a decent price.

Unless your gonna get a smith to time it or use peel washers or shims I’d seriously look at a self timing brake.

Reactions: NewsShooter
Thought of having them mount and time the brake so it would fit seamlessly and timed correctly..... but it sounds as though perhaps they're not as effective as the aftermarket self timing brands?

Thought of having them mount and time the brake so it would fit seamlessly and timed correctly..... but it sounds as though perhaps they're not as effective as the aftermarket self timing brands?
In that case if you want a benchmark brake I’d get one.
I’m pretty damn confident it won’t suck.

Honestly there’s just no real information about them.

The brands popular here are popular because they’re a known commodity and they’re easily timed.

On a Heavy rifle with very little recoil to begin with you won’t likely be able to detect much if any difference from one brake to another. Avoid brakes with ports on the bottom as they will blow crap back on you if shooting prone. I think slabbed brakes such as the muscle break are slightly more effective at recoil reduction.

Get a self timed brake, then it's a simple matter to take it off and clean it. I've got area 419, APA and muzzle brakes and more. The second one it great and about the best deal available.

Get the muzzle end threaded for 5/8x24 threads, and get a self timing muzzle brake.

Having to get brakes timed on new barrels every time you shoot a barrel out, decide you want a new cartridge/barrel to play with etc is expensive and annoying.

Best one I've tried is the Insite Heathen - I've owned most of the popular ones, and the Heathen seems to be the best all round in features, recoil reduction and quality/finish.