• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which others should I consider?

scout1

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 14, 2006
Apache County,Arizona
Hi guys,I've been away from the forum for awhile (doing more shooting then typing). I'm looking into purchasing a semi-auto for scope use in 7.62x51.

A little background, I currently have a GAP .308 bolt gun that is a laser beam shooter and two SA M1A's, a Socom 16 and a Scout/Squad, both of which are equipped with wood stocks and solid handguards so these are strictly iron sight shooters as I've entended. I really like the M14/M1A platform.

Now on to current matters. Like I pointed out I want a semi-auto in 7.62x51 that will be strictly for scope use. I already have the scope from another rifle that I don't have anymore, a Leupold Mark 4, M3, 3 1/2-10x40. Number 1 on my list is a SA M1A National Match, or maybe a Loaded, since I do like that platform.

However, before making the leap, give me your thoughts. Is there other platforms that I should consider. I am not againest the AR platform as I do own a couple of Colt AR's but have always prefered the traditional rifle stock over the pistol grip, but I'm still open to suggestions.

Thanks, Jim

Re: Which others should I consider?

In my opinion, and in no particular order, the premium ARs listed below will suit you well. The question is, <span style="font-style: italic">how much are you willing to spend?</span> The rifles listed below start in the neighborhood of $2,500 and can end up north of $5,000. There are guys on here who have owned or presently own the names mentioned and all have proven to be top shelf shooters. I own a POF and I've not been anything but happy with it.

GAP-10 (DI)
POF P308 (gas piston)
LWRC REPR (gas piston)
Noveske (if you can find one in 7.62)
LMT (piston or DI)
Specialized Dynamics (DI)
Seekins Precision (DI)
Les Baer (DI)
Knights Armament (DI and overpriced)
JP (DI)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">In my opinion, and in no particular order, the premium ARs listed below will suit you well. The question is, <span style="font-style: italic">how much are you willing to spend?</span> The rifles listed below start in the neighborhood of $2,500 and can end up north of $5,000. There are guys on here who have owned or presently own the names mentioned and all have proven to be top shelf shooters. I own a POF and I've not been anything but happy with it.

GAP-10 (DI)
POF P308 (gas piston)
LWRC REPR (gas piston)
Noveske (if you can find one in 7.62)
LMT (piston or DI)
Specialized Dynamics (DI)
Seekins Precision (DI)
Les Baer (DI)
Knights Armament (DI and overpriced)
JP (DI)
</div></div>

As far as how much I'm willing to spend. Since my number 1 on my short list is the SA M1A National Match I'll use that as a baseline. I can get that rifle for around $2000. give or take, not counting a scope mount.

If I had to choose between the Springfield National Match and the accuracy of a quality AR-10, you couldn't <span style="font-style: italic">give</span> me an M1A for any amount of money.

If you're fixed on the M1A platform, there's always a more personalized route like a SEI Crazy Horse...or an M1A in JAE, McM M1A or McM M3A stock.

I'll make you a deal on my M1A super-match if you are interested, has 5 mags and ARMS mount. Here's a pic.. if interested send a PM.

saM1Asm.jpg

If the AR10 or LR-308/SR25 platforms are an option I would go that route for a scoped rig ... optics on a M1A are a pain unless you put them in a different stock (ie JAE). The GDI scope mount helps as it gives you a little longer mounting surface but its far from optimal in my opinion.

If you go with a AR style platform it depends on how much you want to spend. My LR-308 will shoot MOA with SMK handloads, but a GAP-10 or SR-25 its not. If I was looking to spend in the $2500 range for this type of rig .. I would roll a LMT. A KAC SR-25 if I had a money tree in the back yard.

I've spent the entire evening reading up on the POF P308. I'm impressed. The model that I like is the 20 inch barrel with the fixed buttstock for my scope useage. I do believe that the M1A has slipped to number two on the list.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've spent the entire evening reading up on the POF P308. I'm impressed. The model that I like is the 20 inch barrel with the fixed buttstock for my scope useage. I do believe that the M1A has slipped to number two on the list. </div></div>

Oh yeah, which dealers have you found to offer good prices on the POF P308?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I've spent the entire evening reading up on the POF P308. I'm impressed. The model that I like is the 20 inch barrel with the fixed buttstock for my scope useage. I do believe that the M1A has slipped to number two on the list. </div></div>

Oh yeah, which dealers have you found to offer good prices on the POF P308?</div></div>

This right here.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=271481251

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had to choose between the Springfield National Match and the accuracy of a quality AR-10, you couldn't <span style="font-style: italic">give</span> me an M1A for any amount of money. </div></div>

+1! Mounting options are better too. I don't care for the side plate that mounts to the rifle to hang a rail over the breech. Too much room for movement in too many places, not holding zero and soforth over the long haul is my major concern with the platform. I'm sure others will disagree though.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OldTex</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The one top-quality AR-10 style gun I didn't see on the list above is the LaRue OBR. </div></div>

I didn't include LaRue for the simple fact that he's a <span style="font-style: italic">cocksucker </span>and I refuse to do business with him, anyone like him, or recommend <span style="font-style: italic">any</span> of his products.

The Larue OBR, LWRC REPR, POF, JP and Noveske will all fill your requirements easily, with the exception of the $2000 price tag. THAT might need to go up a bit.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had to choose between the Springfield National Match and the accuracy of a quality AR-10, you couldn't <span style="font-style: italic">give</span> me an M1A for any amount of money. </div></div>

Killshot, you have givin me alot to consider, and that is why I posted the question. Thanks

While I do like my M1A Scout/Squad setup for shooting with irons very much. The platform does present a number of problems for scope usage and for wringing out the most accuracy. Like has been mentioned the scope base setup is not the best and can add alot to the cost depending on which mount is prefered. As for wringing out the most accuracy one is looking at, fragile bedding, unitized gas cylinder, possibly trying different gas pistons, handguard pressure etc............

Like I said that is why I asked the question and now I'm looking very very hard at the POF P308 or possibly the GAP10. What do you think of my thoughts of a 20 inch full size with a fixed buttstock for my scope usage? How about the 18 inch barrel model?

Thanks, Jim

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had to choose between the Springfield National Match and the accuracy of a quality AR-10, you couldn't <span style="font-style: italic">give</span> me an M1A for any amount of money. </div></div>

Killshot, you have givin me alot to consider, and that is why I posted the question. Thanks

While I do like my M1A Scout/Squad setup for shooting with irons very much. The platform does present a number of problems for scope usage and for wringing out the most accuracy. Like has been mentioned the scope base setup is not the best and can add alot to the cost depending on which mount is prefered. As for wringing out the most accuracy one is looking at, fragile bedding, unitized gas cylinder, possibly trying different gas pistons, handguard pressure etc.

Like I said that is why I asked the question and now I'm looking very very hard at the POF P308 or possibly the GAP10. What do you think of my thoughts of a 20 inch full size with a fixed buttstock for my scope usage? How about the 18 inch barrel model?

Thanks, Jim </div></div>

Don't get me wrong, I love my POF P308 but th parts aren't readily available for it like parts will be for the GAP-10 because the POF is a gas piston rifle and it uses proprietary parts that you can only obtain through POF. The GAP, on the other hand, is a direct impingement rifle and you can easily get parts for it just about anywhere you look.

For that reason alone, you might consider the GAP-10 unless you don't mind stocking up on spare parts (piston, op rod, BCG, firing pin) in the event something ever does happen. The GAP-10 is the only semi-auto platform I would consider swapping my rifle for simply for the reason stated above and, yes, you can get it from 16"-20" when choosing the barrel length.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2012-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

If you have your heart set on a POF P308 20", I have no doubt you'll be happy with it as I absolutely love mine. If you'll notice I said I would <span style="font-style: italic">consider</span> swapping my POF for a GAP-10, not that I most certainly would. LoL

While I'm not a fan of the fixed A2 buttstock, it will do just fine with optics as it's primarily what our troops are issued (the A2, if I'm not mistaken) on the M4.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: scout1</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: KillShot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If I had to choose between the Springfield National Match and the accuracy of a quality AR-10, you couldn't <span style="font-style: italic">give</span> me an M1A for any amount of money. </div></div>

While I do like my M1A Scout/Squad setup for shooting with irons very much. The platform does present a number of problems for scope usage and for wringing out the most accuracy. Like has been mentioned the scope base setup is not the best and can add alot to the cost depending on which mount is prefered. As for wringing out the most accuracy one is looking at, fragile bedding, unitized gas cylinder, possibly trying different gas pistons, handguard pressure etc.

Thanks, Jim </div></div>

Don't get me wrong, I love my POF P308 but th parts aren't readily available for it like parts will be for the GAP-10 because the POF is a gas piston rifle and it uses proprietary parts that you can only obtain through POF. The GAP, on the other hand, is a direct impingement rifle and you can easily get parts for it just about anywhere you look.

For that reason alone, you might consider the GAP-10 unless you don't mind stocking up on spare parts (piston, op rod, BCG, firing pin) in the event something ever does happen. The GAP-10 is the only semi-auto platform I would consider swapping my rifle for simply for the reason stated above and, yes, you can get it from 16"-20" when choosing the barrel length.

http://www.gaprecision.net/ga-precision-2012-custom-rifles/ga-precision-g.a.-precision-gap-10-.html

If you have your heart set on a POF P308 20", I have no doubt you'll be happy with it as I absolutely love mine. If you'll notice I said I would <span style="font-style: italic">consider</span> swapping my POF for a GAP-10, not that I most certainly would. LoL

While I'm not a fan of the fixed A2 buttstock, it will do just fine with optics as it's primarily what our troops are issued (the A2, if I'm not mistaken) on the M4. </div></div>

I know the the question of gas impingment verses piston is one that goes back and forth but I've always hated cleaning the M4 platform, just a pain in the ass. So for that alone I would prefer the POF.
I concur on the A2 stock, for a fixed I much perfer the A1 since its 5/8 inch shorter. But if I went with a full sized scoped P308 I think I like the fixed a little better. I run the Magpul CTR on all my AR's.

Gotta go to a shift meeting, be back later.

Jim

You might take a look at the Magpul PRS (Precision Rifle Stock) as it is fixed but also allows for fine tuning to fit your POA.

8264.jpg

Nice rifle Killshot. Currently in the process of ordering a GAP-10 myself. Being that Larue is 35 miles from where I live I looked to them first. But, due to the fact that they were recently discourteous to me on the phone, I won't be doing business with them.
I felt that, and have read that, the GAP-10 is superior anyway; I just figured customer support would be optimal if the manufacturer is in your backyard. But, since I don't like being laughed at when I call to ask questions about the engineering of a product, I'll brave the wait time for the GAP-10.
Which might be another factor you'll want to consider Scout1 in your decision. Don't know how patient you are, but from what I'm hearing, most places waiting time doubles a month or so after Shot. You'll just have to call around.
As for the P308, I hadn't done much research on that, but it's crazy how much it looks like the GAP-10.

I own both a M1A NM and an LMT MWS. If your into nostalgia go with the M1A. If your serious about long range gas gun accuracy I think you'll enjoy the AR platform. Scoping the M1A can be a challange. It can be done but takes money to get the M1A comfortable to shoot with a scope.