• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Which phone OS? IOS or Andriod for ballistic calculators

neeltburn

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 23, 2013
South Western Indiana
Looking at upgraded my phone, Currently I have an IPhone 4s with Ballistic AE. I was hoping the IPhone 5S would be earth shattering and have more new features but it really doesn't. I looked at the Galaxy S4 tonight and like the screen size and the expansion port for micro SD cards, but tell me about the Shooter app as a Ballistic Calculator. While we are at it what do you guys think about the Android versus the IOS? The only thing I really don't like about my 4s is the battery life sucks and I have replaced it once already.

I've always been an Android user. I've had the original Droid, Droid X, Droid Bionic, Galaxy Nexus, and now the Droid Razr Maxx HD (I like Motorola phones). I'm a tinkerer and Android allows for this. Especially after they have been hacked for root access. IOS is pretty much locked down. You can jailbreak IOS however I have no experience in that. However for purely stock use IOS and Android are pretty much neck and neck these days. I will say my Razr Maxx HD has fantastic battery life which is the primary reason for getting it.

As for ballistic software I've used Strelock and Shooter (both of which is available on IOS). Currently I'm favoring Shooter based on reviews and comments from much more experienced shooters her on SH. However I am still a noob and can not use these programs to their fullest so I am not a good judge on what is best. Hope something here helps.

Last edited:
Shooter and Ballistic AE are both good programs to use on Android, but at different price points.
The Galaxy S4, the Galaxy S4 Active, the Note 3 are all very good models offering lots of features, but there are also some very good ones from HTC, Motorola & LG.

To be honest any smartphone that is actually USED a whole bunch will run down the battery. With the Samsung ones however, you have the option to carry a couple spare batteries with you or put in an extended battery if you prefer. For the iPhone, there is some power cases you can get also.

The Galaxy S4 has a built in Thermometer, Hydrometer and Barometer so if the apps ever got specifically updated to use those sensors, it would be pretty interesting.

Shooter is very nice. My only gripe with is is that it - unlike AE - doesn't allow comparison between rounds of different calibers. AE has no problem doing that.

Mouse
NRA Life Member Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk - now Free

Been using shooter since it launched and its been awesome. Check out the lg g2. It just launched and has top end hardware, best screen of any phone and has a massive battery.

Is it possible to use Shooter or Ballistic AE programs on an IPad or similar product so that you had a larger screen than a phone? I would really like to have a ballistic program and the article on the SH home page makes AE look very user friendly but it would be great to have it on a larger screen than a phone.

Is it possible to use Shooter or Ballistic AE programs on an IPad or similar product so that you had a larger screen than a phone? I would really like to have a ballistic program and the article on the SH home page makes AE look very user friendly but it would be great to have it on a larger screen than a phone.

I use Ballistic AE on my iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iPad Mini without issues. On the plus side, the data is shared with all three devices, so I can work up some tables using the iPad, and take the iPhone to the field.

I have run Strelok and Shooter on both my previous Casio Commando and my new model Commando. Both are rugged water resistant phones. I have the extended battery on the new one and it will run better than 48 hrs. on a charge with limited internet use.

I use Ballistic AE on my iPhone 5, iPad 3 and iPad Mini without issues. On the plus side, the data is shared with all three devices, so I can work up some tables using the iPad, and take the iPhone to the field.

My wife has a Google Nexus 7 with 3G that I use some. It seems pretty handy with the 3G capability, would that work okay with Ballistic AE? I have been looking at the AE review on the SH home page and it seems like it would be user friendly.

As far as I know, Ballistic AE is an iOS only app, and not Android compatible. Sharing is done via iCloud.

I am currently using the galaxy note 2. It is hands down the best phone that I have ever owned. Extremely fast, great screen, and I love the stylus for navigating wwb pages and hand writing notes on the backs of pictures.

Some say its too big but after a week of using it youll never want to look at a small screen again. Go with the note 3 I promise you wont be disappointed. If you get it and dont like it lemme know ill buy it from you. But I wont count it on you not liking it....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

I am currently using the galaxy note 2. It is hands down the best phone that I have ever owned. Extremely fast, great screen, and I love the stylus for navigating wwb pages and hand writing notes on the backs of pictures.

Some say its too big but after a week of using it youll never want to look at a small screen again. Go with the note 3 I promise you wont be disappointed. If you get it and dont like it lemme know ill buy it from you. But I wont count it on you not liking it....

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk 2

Ended up with the Samsung Galaxy S4 today. Gonna stop by Wal-Mart and get some Google Play gift cards (no intrest chagere that way) looking at shooter and Applied Ballistics, so which one?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

Ended up with the Samsung Galaxy S4 today. Gonna stop by Wal-Mart and get some Google Play gift cards (no intrest chagere that way) looking at shooter and Applied Ballistics, so which one?

Shooter works well and is pretty cheap
Applied Ballistics gives you a lot more options & features, but costs a fair bit more as well.

So far I really like the hardware, the Android os is also fine. What I really do not care for is the Email I use a pop3 accout from my ISP, I also use Outlook on my desktop when I ooen them on my desktop they dissappear from my phone. If some has a good way to sync Outlook onna desktop with the Galaxy S4 I would be trilled with the phone so far. I still need to download the Ballistic Calculators and give then a shot. Are there any other tips you guys can give a long time IOS user I would appreciate it!

One correction - it looks like I underrated iStrelok.

iStrelok on iOS still suffers from inability to use G7 BC or banded/stepped BC, and it doesn't draw any graphs (nor does it have a built-in range-finding computer, or a log, or...). But its interface is quite convenient, it allows to store 10 (I think, maybe more) different rifles, and a dozen (or more?) cartridges for each rifle. Its output seems reasonable at least within 900m (didn't try it farther than that).

And - almost forgot - it is free. ;)

Then I went to youtube. Wow what a disappointment, the quality sucks! My old IPhone 4s blows it away!

Then I went to youtube. Wow what a disappointment, the quality sucks! My old IPhone 4s blows it away!

Can't help you there. Can only say that I'm reasonably happy with both Samsung Salaxy SII, and Asus Nexus 7.

Regarding the ballistic software - I would consider:
  • Strelok - decent, low but perhaps sufficient capabilities, free.
  • Strelok Pro - not free, better than Strelok, take a look and make your decision.
  • Shooter - very good, enough capabilities, my primary go-to on Android.
  • Applied Ballistics - probably the best, I haven't tried it as it's more expensive than I'm willing to spend now.

So far I really like the hardware, the Android os is also fine. What I really do not care for is the Email I use a pop3 accout from my ISP, I also use Outlook on my desktop when I ooen them on my desktop they dissappear from my phone. If some has a good way to sync Outlook onna desktop with the Galaxy S4 I would be trilled with the phone so far. I still need to download the Ballistic Calculators and give then a shot. Are there any other tips you guys can give a long time IOS user I would appreciate it!

Does your ISP allow IMAP email access? You will need to setup IMAP on both Outlook and your phone, but it will allow all devices to having matching email. POP just downloads and removes the emails from the server. IMAP will leave emails on the server and will also act as a backup in case your pc goes down.

What is it doing? The video quality will adjust based on your network speed. If the network is slow it will lower the video quality. Also buffer speed will be effected by network. You are using the app and not the website right?

Last edited:
Does your ISP allow IMAP email access? You will need to setup IMAP on both Outlook and your phone, but it will allow all devices to having matching email. POP just downloads and removes the emails from the server. IMAP will leave emails on the server and will also act as a backup in case your pc goes down.

Not that I can find, I have tried setting up IMAP on the phone to no avail.

Just as a side by side at the moment my friends all started looking at our phones we had mine iPhone 4, iPhone 5, s4, an my fathers s4 active. So far the s4 active has been taking the goal in our opinions.

What furstrates me is I like the phone but its just not working the way I would like. So Im going to go back to AT&T tonight and see if they can help, I really want to give it a chance but simple tasks are proving difficult. I may end uo returning it for a newer Iphone.

Ending up returning it this morning for a IPhone 5S, so back to ballistic AE. The new IPhone is much better than I gave it credit for.

Sent from my IPhone 4s An AT&T not so 4G phone via Tapatalk.

I have switched over to an Apple ecosystem at home. I went Android for awhile, and just got tired of having to "tweak" everything to get it to work right. I spend too long in IT. Tired of "tweaking" stuff. I just want to turn it on, accomplish the task and turn it off.

I use Ballistic AE on both the iPhone and iPad. I also have KAC Bulletflight, but if I had to choose one it would be Ballistic AE.

I have switched over to an Apple ecosystem at home. I went Android for awhile, and just got tired of having to "tweak" everything to get it to work right. I spend too long in IT. Tired of "tweaking" stuff. I just want to turn it on, accomplish the task and turn it off.

I use Ballistic AE on both the iPhone and iPad. I also have KAC Bulletflight, but if I had to choose one it would be Ballistic AE.

I agree, while I have had Ballistic AE for quite sometime, I know it does more than I tired with it, but the App works good. also the IOS platform just works so smoothly. Have you updated to IOS 7 or IOS 7.0.1? I have heard mixed reviews but Im liking it.

I simply wish we had SERVICE near my home! LOL.

The curse of RURAL America. And living in the mountains.

Just for reference in the future, most POP clients (even Outlook) can be configured to not delete e-mails for a specified period of time, so that multiple clients / devices can have access to the e-mails.

I have both shooter and Ballistic AE on my iPhone. I play with them at work when I get bored. I tend to find myself using Ballistic AE more Shooter, although the results are nearly identical. I personally prefer AE for the user interface.

I swear iOS 7 is eating my battery

There was a piece on the news this morning how the old OS used 600 something minutes of battery life whereas the new OS is only getting 400 something minutes of battery life

Here is what you should do.

Pick up a gently used iTouch. Load the software and now you have a stand alone, dedicated balistic calc. No need to take your nice phone out and get it banged up.

Put the itouch in a otterbox case or a small pelican waterproof.

I have a Samsung s4 I love it I use shooter with a bluetooth kestrel.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk 2