• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Rifle Scopes Which Scope for my Remington 700 SPS Varmint Rifle in 308 Win.??

NYH1

Private
Minuteman
Aug 21, 2013
New Yorkistan
First post, great site!

I just bought a Remington 700 SPS Varmint Rifle in 308 Win. (26" heavy barrel). Now I have to decide which scope I want to get for it. I really like Leupold Scopes. I had an issue with one of their scopes years ago and they went out of their way to fix it for me and then air shipped back on a Saturday so I would have it for the following Mondays opening day for deer season. That really meant a lot to me. Since then I've become a dedicated Leupold customer so I'd like to stick with a Leupold Scopes and Mounts.....as long as they fit my application and budget.

This rifle is going to be a target/fun gun that I'll add things to as I go. First a Timney Trigger, then maybe a better stock, a bi pod and things like that. My budget for a new scope will be up to $600, NOT including the mounting system. I plan on using Leupold's Dual Dovetail base and rings (mounting it as close to the barrel as possible. I plan to shoot it from 100 out to 500 yards or so.

I/we currently have five Leupolds, a VX-I 2-7x28mm Rimfire on our S&W MP15-22, a VX-II 2-7x33mm on my Rem. 7600 Carbine 30-06, a VX-1 2-7x33mm LR that I switch back and forth with QD mounts between that and my Aimpoint PRO on my Colt AR15 Carbine 223/5.56 (MT6400) this setup works awesome, a VX-1 3x9x40mm "lady's edition" on my wife's Rem. 700 Compact 243 Win. and a VX-II 4-12x40mm AO on my Remington 700 BDL 223 Rem. it's a tact driver and I really like that scope.

I have to say that I probably prefer to have more magnification then most guys do. I usually use my scopes turned all the way up unless I'm moving. So I'm looking for a scope similar to my VX-II 4-12x40mm AO for my 308. Should I get something like a VX-2 4-12x40mm, VX-2 6-18x40mm (this is the most powerful scope I'll probably be able to put on my rifle) or a VX-3 4.5-14x40, they all come with nothing on them or with AO or CDS or with both AO AND CDS. Or put my current VX-II 4-12x40 AO from my 223 Rem. on my 308 Win. then get a new VX-2 6-18x40mm to put on my Rem. 700 223 Rem?

I've also been seriously considering the fixed power FX-3 12x40mm AO, seems like nice simple scope. I've looked at the Mark AR Mod 1 4-12x40mm or 6-18x40mm Scopes too. I like the tactical look and the idea of being able to use adjustment turrets for elevation adjustments. However, the markings on the scope dials are for 223/5.56. Can I get them for a 308?

I'm leaning heavily towards the VX-3 4.5-14x40mn (w/AO, CDS or both AO and CDS) or the FX-3 12x40mm AO. Which "reticles" work on larger caliber rifles for long range shooting? What about the Custom Dial System (CDS)? How does it work, is it worth getting? I've never used a scope with adjustable dials. This will be the first rifle I'll be setting up as a dedicated target/long range rifle.

Thanks NYH1.

I suspect that once you see how effective you can be with .308 at 500 yards, you will want to reach at least a little further.
For that, look to 4-16x with side focus. May be able to find that used within your budget.
You just have to shoot to learn to dial elevation. Don't look to CDS. They're all a compromise. Find out what works for your rifle and your load.
Enjoy.

jameslee, thanks for the reply.

Forgot to mention I don't hand load so I'll be using factory match grade ammo. I'll shoot as many different loads as possible.

NYH1.

Leupold is about 20 year obsolete technology unless you are looking at a MK6 or Mk8, which is clearly our of your price range. You are overpaying for a name.

Low end Vortex look like a good value, but they have a high failure rate. Don't be suprised when you have to send it in for warranty work.

In your price range, I would look for a used/new Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 or one of the other flavors of ET FFP they offer for sub $1000. Much better value and quality optics than low end vortex/luepy.

Optics are the LAST thing you skimp on. They hold their value well and a good scope will last a long time. Buy used if you can. Let some other schmuck take the depreciation hit.

Leupold is about 20 year obsolete technology unless you are looking at a MK6 or Mk8, which is clearly our of your price range. You are overpaying for a name.

Low end Vortex look like a good value, but they have a high failure rate. Don't be suprised when you have to send it in for warranty work.

In your price range, I would look for a used/new Bushnell Elite Tactical 3-12x44 or one of the other flavors of ET FFP they offer for sub $1000. Much better value and quality optics than low end vortex/luepy.

Optics are the LAST thing you skimp on. They hold their value well and a good scope will last a long time. Buy used if you can. Let some other schmuck take the depreciation hit.

This is good advice-You can get a better bang for your buck buying a used scope. The optics for sale section on this site is full of good stuff. If you can score a used bushnell elite tactical that would be a great scope for your rig.

Last edited:
Look at the Vortex HST 4-16x or their 6-24x. For the price they are very nice.

http://www.cstactical.com/optics/rifle-scopes/vortex-optics/viper-hs-series

Totally agree. Great scopes. I owned a 4-16 before upgrading to a Razor 5-20. The 4-16 was a solid scope and my buddy owns it now and still loves it. Another friend bought the 6-24 and loves it as well. I built the gun he has it on a AR10 and I like it as well. Can't beat these scopes in the price range.
Pat

+1 For the Vortex HS Tactical 4-16x40. I have it on my Remington 700 LTR. Works great and functions even better!
Purchase price was right around $550.

I went to our semi annual gun show this afternoon and bought a used Leupold VARI-X III 4.5-14x50mm Long Range Tactical Scope with a 30mm tube, side focus and target turrets. It's in great shape.

NYH1.

After using Leupold MK4's for years on my LR 308, I switched to SWFA 12X MilQuad reticle on 45 moa rail. Couldn't be happier.

I can dial a dead-on hold to a mile without being topped out.

Would a 15, 20 or 30 MOA offset rail/mount be worth going with now instead of the Leupold Dual Dovetail mounts and rings? I'm going to be shooting from 100 to 500 yards for now. I guess I could always go with the Dual Dovetail mounts and rings for now. Then if or when the time comes when I need to go with a 15, 20 or 30 MOA offset rail/mount on my 308, I could always put the Dual Dovetail mounts and rings on one of my other model 700's that now have the standard Leupold mounts and rings.

Thanks, NYH1.

Last edited:
I ordered two Timny 510 triggers today. One for my SPS Varmint 308 and one for my wife's ADL Compact 243.

So I went with Leupolds Dual Dovetail mounts and 30mm high rings. Between my rifle, my scope, the two Timny Tiggers I spent a lot of cash. So I opted to go with the Leupold mount and rings for now.

Then when I send my scope back to have my target turrets changed to M1 turrets and maybe have a different reticle. I'll go with a better offset base and rings.

NYH1.