• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Which would you choose and why?

Which would you choose and why?

• R700 5R 300 WM 26" heavy barrel

Votes: 16 27.6%
  • R700 5R 300 WM 24" heavy barrel threaded

Votes: 42 72.4%

• Total voters

Jcasa

Private
Minuteman
Dec 19, 2010
I plan on purchasing one of the two and putting it in an AICS chasis. My biggest question is in terms of accuracy and range and will there be a noticeable difference and what are the advantages of choosing the threaded barrel over the non threaded. Thanks in advance.

Remington 700 300 WM 5R 26" heavy barrel

Remington 700 300 WM 5R 24" heavy barrel threaded

Last edited:
For 300 WM I would get the threaded barrel to run a brake or suppressor on it to cut back on recoil.

get the threaded 24". Add muzzle brake at the loss of 40fps tops from 2" shorter barrel.

I too voted for the threaded, 24" tube.

Simply put...you aren't giving up any significant degree of performance with the loss of 2" of barrel. Have a look at some of the work done by Tac Ops on 300WM barrel lengths. In short, they concluded that there was virtually NO LOSS of velocity found when chopping a 26" barreled 300WM rifle barrel down one inch at a time through as short as 22" (they used 190gr FGMM ammo for their test). Furthermore, they also concluded that a 24" barrel was fine for shooting heavier (up to 220gr) bullets in order to achieve complete powder combustion. While there is certainly NOTHING wrong with the longer barrels, if given the option up front of choosing between a threaded, 24" barrel and a plain muzzle 26" barrel...I'd do the 24" every time and not think twice about it!

If you have only those choices, go with the 24" threaded barrel - this allows you to attach a muzzle brake and/or suppressor. Otherwise go with the 26" and have a gunsmith thread it 5/8" x 24 for the muzzle and suppressor. Also, make sure the per threaded barrel in your poll already has the correct thread pitch.

Yup, I got the 26" Barrel 5R .300 WM, but if didn't get a heck of a deal out of this one, I would've definitely gone with the 24" Threaded myself.

You can't go wrong!

Thank you for all your opinions I will be choosing the 24" threaded barrel. Lastly, do you guys have any input on vendors for muzzle break with 5/8 x24 thread.

I would go with the 26" and have it cut and threaded by a repeatable builder. Some remington threaded barrels can have inconsistent threading. Just what I've seen