• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who’s the SH Air Gunners???

I havent read the entire thread but had a sphincter tightening moment when I checked the prices of some of these. Then I noticed someone showing his $4-500 rifles. I see a lot will shoot a ragged hole at 50 yds, but what is the reasonable range of these. I know they can be serious, a buddy killed a whitetail with his...which I wouldnt do, better rounds for that.

I havent read the entire thread but had a sphincter tightening moment when I checked the prices of some of these. Then I noticed someone showing his $4-500 rifles. I see a lot will shoot a ragged hole at 50 yds, but what is the reasonable range of these. I know they can be serious, a buddy killed a whitetail with his...which I wouldnt do, better rounds for that.

There is a big difference in power levels in airguns. From 3 fpe all the way up to 1500 fpe or so.

These are approximates;
Many .177's are 6 fpe to 25 fpe depending on the "pellets" that are used and velocity.
22 caliber are from approx 10 fpe to 60 fpe.
25 caliber from 30 fpe to 75 fpe
30 caliber from 35 fpe to over 100 fpe.

Here's a FPE calculator to give you a better idea of the power levels.

I'm trying to think of a way to communicate the experience in firearms terms so here it goes... Almost all examples below are with pellets.

I've shot .177 cal 6 fpe pcp's at 100Y. The pellet will get there but it gets a bit silly especially what the wind does to 8.4 gr pellets. Kind of like shooting a 22rf at 600 yards. My Steyr LGB1 will do 1" at 50Y if the wind is really slow and consistent. Best to stay inside 30Y with these.
Also shot 20 fpe .177's with 10.5gr pellets at 100Y. It's like shooting at 400Y with a 22rf. Easier but not easy?! At 50Y I've shot tons of groups that were .6" or less and some that were .2" CTC.

In 22 cal at 30 fpe using 18gr it gets easier at 50Y and 100Y but easier still with 25gr and 60 fpe. I know a national BR champion that can shoot .3" groups often at 50Y and 1" at 100Y with JSB 25.4gr pellets.

When one gets into using the heavy pellets in 22, 25, 30, and 35 cal, you don't get much difference in BC(around .05 G1) but you do tend to get more energy on target if the velocity were kept the same for all those calibers.

Of course the more powerful the airgun the more air that is used. I used to fill my 20 fpe guns most of the summer with one scuba tank. When I got into 60 fpe guns I had to buy a compressor and a 4500 psi tank! Huge difference in air usage. But I shoot a fair amount too.

Slugs(swaged or cast lead bullets), these can increase distance a lot. I can hit a turkey silhouette at 421Y occasionally if the "wind is down" with my 22 cal 60 fpe rifle using 42gr slugs. Maybe hit it once out of 4-5 shots. If there is a slight change in wind the slug will blow clean off the target. It's like shooting the same steel at 1400 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

If you want to plink in the back yard a pcp under 30 fpe is fine out to 50Y and many come with moderators on the barrel so they aren't loud.

Much like with firearms the more money you spend the more consistent and precise it will shoot. Also like firearms there are exceptions to that rule. You won't know for sure until you get the gun and try different types of higher quality ammo.

It's not a bad idea to buy a used gun from a airgun tuner of good reputation because they've typically got all the bugs worked out as well as have found the best ammo and have it tuned correctly.

There is a big difference in power levels in airguns. From 3 fpe all the way up to 1500 fpe or so.

These are approximates;
Many .177's are 6 fpe to 25 fpe depending on the "pellets" that are used and velocity.
22 caliber are from approx 10 fpe to 60 fpe.
25 caliber from 30 fpe to 75 fpe
30 caliber from 35 fpe to over 100 fpe.

Here's a FPE calculator to give you a better idea of the power levels.

I'm trying to think of a way to communicate the experience in firearms terms so here it goes... Almost all examples below are with pellets.

I've shot .177 cal 6 fpe pcp's at 100Y. The pellet will get there but it gets a bit silly especially what the wind does to 8.4 gr pellets. Kind of like shooting a 22rf at 600 yards. My Steyr LGB1 will do 1" at 50Y if the wind is really slow and consistent. Best to stay inside 30Y with these.
Also shot 20 fpe .177's with 10.5gr pellets at 100Y. It's like shooting at 400Y with a 22rf. Easier but not easy?! At 50Y I've shot tons of groups that were .6" or less and some that were .2" CTC.

In 22 cal at 30 fpe using 18gr it gets easier at 50Y and 100Y but easier still with 25gr and 60 fpe. I know a national BR champion that can shoot .3" groups often at 50Y and 1" at 100Y with JSB 25.4gr pellets.

When one gets into using the heavy pellets in 22, 25, 30, and 35 cal, you don't get much difference in BC(around .05 G1) but you do tend to get more energy on target if the velocity were kept the same for all those calibers.

Of course the more powerful the airgun the more air that is used. I used to fill my 20 fpe guns most of the summer with one scuba tank. When I got into 60 fpe guns I had to buy a compressor and a 4500 psi tank! Huge difference in air usage. But I shoot a fair amount too.

Slugs(swaged or cast lead bullets), these can increase distance a lot. I can hit a turkey silhouette at 421Y occasionally if the "wind is down" with my 22 cal 60 fpe rifle using 42gr slugs. Maybe hit it once out of 4-5 shots. If there is a slight change in wind the slug will blow clean off the target. It's like shooting the same steel at 1400 yards with a 6.5 Creedmoor.

If you want to plink in the back yard a pcp under 30 fpe is fine out to 50Y and many come with moderators on the barrel so they aren't loud.

Much like with firearms the more money you spend the more consistent and precise it will shoot. Also like firearms there are exceptions to that rule. You won't know for sure until you get the gun and try different types of higher quality ammo.

It's not a bad idea to buy a used gun from a airgun tuner of good reputation because they've typically got all the bugs worked out as well as have found the best ammo and have it tuned correctly.
Ive got a ways to go. I got my current plinker from an add Tucker301 put up years ago. Got the gun for $5, $7 shipping and $3 for 500 BB's. Maximum of 10 pumps, I can hit a soup can about half the time at 50ft and 6 pumps will pierce both sides of a steel can.
Daisey.jpg

Reactions: Longshot231
Ive got a ways to go. I got my current plinker from an add Tucker301 put up years ago. Got the gun for $5, $7 shipping and $3 for 500 BB's. Maximum of 10 pumps, I can hit a soup can about half the time at 50ft and 6 pumps will pierce both sides of a steel can.
View attachment 8134723

I was shooting my old 22 caliber Crosman model 140 multi pump this morning. It's around 65 years old. I'm guessing it'll send 14.3 gr pellets at about 700 fps on 10 pumps for a 23 fpe level of power. That's pretty powerful, it'll punch a whole right through a cottontail.
But it reminded me why I like pcp's rather than multi's or springers. Clack-clack-clack-clack-clack, I only pumped it 5 times per shot since I was shooting at 20 yards on paper.

Or sproingggg if a springer.
I had a Beeman Crow Magnum once which is a very powerful barrel cocker. Even though it was a gas shock it felt obnoxious to cock and to shoot.
As a boy 53 years ago, while living in Germany at the time, getting my 2nd airgun which was a nice Diana springer M27 for my birthday, and also owning half a dozen other springers over the years, including a TX200 and a FWB 300S, I decided springers weren't for me.

They've got 700cc bottles available nowadays for pcp's. That equates to, I don't know, maybe 750-ish shots a fill for a 12 fpe 22 caliber??, lol!!! That's crazy huh!

Did you come up with any ideas what other airgun you want to buy?

Last edited:
How about some info on your rifle and scope? Accuracy?
The rifle is a Feinwerkbau 800 Basic with a Mueller Target scope, 8-32 x 44. For bench rest, I use 32X, but turn it down to 8X for mettalic silhouette. I fabricated a front rest adapter from aboinia burl (3 inches wide with it's bottom parallel to the barrel) and made a rear bag rider with some sheet steel and half inch PVC. The front rest is a T-Rex Rodzilla joy stick and the rear is a Holeshot. I'm shooting JSB Diabolo Match S100 8.26 gr pellets, as these seem to be the most accurate out of the 15 or so pellet types I've accuracy tested in this rifle. I bought the T-Rex for rimfire benchrest, and it is probably over engineered for air rifle. I'm not quite satisfied with my accuracy, but I've just started working on it last month.

Recent Marauder purchase also, great little gun.

Bought a Leshy that showed in stock, nada from them for 6 weeks (with repeated requests for shipping timeframe), sent a message saying "cancel this please" and got a response in about 10 minutes.

So, I an getting an FX.

They are fun, cheap to shoot, and - if properly tuned - don't upset the nieghtbors at all.

Reactions: crackerbrown
Hi All, I recently joined here. My interest and pursuits are Air Rifle 10 meters Standing and 3 Position, as well as recently discovered Standing at 50 yards and 100 yards. I am on other forums, airgun nation, Target Talk. Does anyone have any interest in this type of airgun position shooting? My location is NH.

As previously said, last May, the discovery of long distance air rifle, lots of research and got a FX Crown GRS, put a 20x scope on it, built a couple backstop traps at 50 yard and 100 yard. Every evening doing Standing 18 shots (magazine size) on each target. I weighted the crown to a full 12 pounds= 5.5 kg, this was required to reduce the recoil. Also designing a forend rail for said weights and prone/kneeling position sling attachment. Plans for 200 yard are in the works, but need to master the 100 yards first.

Have lots of ISSF Smallbore 3 position, and Air Rifle Standing experience. So when I learned of these newer Air rifles, my first idea was to take these outside and do ISSF Air Rifle 3 position/Air Rifle Standing at a longer distance. Have been documenting the progress on Target Talk, and AirGun nation, and from what I am seeing, it is a new situation, starting here worldwide. , If wrong, let me know.

The benefits are the same as with most other air rifles, inexpensive to operate, set up a range almost anywhere, train/practice every day. If anyone has any interest, I would love to hear opinions.

Indoor ISSF Air rifle moves Outside!
.20230621_202152 - Copy - Copy.jpg20230620_201045 - Copy.jpg20230531_195537 - Copy.jpg.

Last edited: