• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who all runs the ARC Nucleus action?

Eh not really. Try 338 lap mag!
I have a AXMC in 300WM that I screwed a 300 PRC barrel on and it works perfectly with the 300WM magazines. Can you imagine if Accuracy International told customers that they had to bend and modify magazines to get them to work with their chassis LOL?

The 300WM mag should work
Problem is it’s not an established platform with 1000’s of hours of sorting.
That means your gone have to do some tweaking be it a magazine adjustment or mag height adjustment.

I’m running a SAUM in my nuke with ARC mags, definitely not a sorted combination.
A slight mag adjustment and poof!
I have a rifle that feeds really nicely.

With the two pics I suggested I and many others with even more experience will see the issue and give a good recommendation to fix it.

A few years ago I had to adjust a genuine AICS mag to work in my 260 where the other two worked perfectly.

Reactions: lash
The 300WM mag should work
Problem is it’s not an established platform with 1000’s of hours of sorting.
That means your gone have to do some tweaking be it a magazine adjustment or mag height adjustment.

I’m running a SAUM in my nuke with ARC mags, definitely not a sorted combination.
A slight mag adjustment and poof!
I have a rifle that feeds really nicely.

With the two pics I suggested I and many others with even more experience will see the issue and give a good recommendation to fix it.

A few years ago I had to adjust a genuine AICS mag to work in my 260 where the other two worked perfectly.
ARC mags, now thats an entirely different thread LOL.

I remember seeing that many people were using Lapua magazines, and had good success. When my current 300 Win barrel dies, I am going to go the PRC route, only to have less BS with reloading.

I love Nucleus rifles, I have four of them. They work. I have 3 commercial Mauser 98's, 2 700's, a Blaser R8 and a Savage 12. Nukes feeding from an AICS is pure sex! My 98's and Blaser don't always feed with the same success.

On the subject of mag feeding with the nuke, do any of you guys know of anyone who has tried AW mags in any ARC action?
I know that ARC say that their actions are not compatible but, I've not heard a reason why.
Common wisdom dictates that 2 lug bolts shouldn't feed well but, many seem to feed flawlessly once tuned.
I'd really like to know if anyone has experimented with AW mags in the Nuke action in particular.
Regards Barelstroker.

On the subject of mag feeding with the nuke, do any of you guys know of anyone who has tried AW mags in any ARC action?
I know that ARC say that their actions are not compatible but, I've not heard a reason why.
Common wisdom dictates that 2 lug bolts shouldn't feed well but, many seem to feed flawlessly once tuned.
I'd really like to know if anyone has experimented with AW mags in the Nuke action in particular.
Regards Barelstroker.

Isn't AW a wider cut?

Isn't AW a wider cut?
Yes
I believe so however, I've not seen an action with an AW cut in person, only in pics & vids &, I'm unsure as to the technical aspects of AW cuts.
The AW does take a wider cut in the action, which is why Ted has said, at least a couple of times in the original thread, that it is possible to cut for AW but he does not like that it reduces the strength of the action and won’t do it.

As far as two lug actions/bolts and AW mags, is is absolutely possible to do it and have zero feeding issues. But it takes a bit of mag tuning to do so for many and some are just not comfortable. I’ve got 10s of thousands of rounds through a Stiller TAC30AW, using nothing but AW mags, with no issue.

Reactions: Steel head
Yes

The AW does take a wider cut in the action, which is why Ted has said, at least a couple of times in the original thread, that it is possible to cut for AW but he does not like that it reduces the strength of the action and won’t do it.

As far as two lug actions/bolts and AW mags, is is absolutely possible to do it and have zero feeding issues. But it takes a bit of mag tuning to do so for many and some are just not comfortable. I’ve got 10s of thousands of rounds through a Stiller TAC30AW, using nothing but AW mags, with no issue.
I'm in the "kinda" final stages of choosing an action for my custom build. I've narrowed things down to 3 possible action choices. An ARC action, a TL3 or deviant elite or tactical. I'm building my rifle based around the BR cartridge family & have undertaken many months of info trawling on the what, why & how of that.
Although feeding & extraction of the cartridges is my primary goal, I really like the idea of running AW mags because of the mag length & loading from the top in the dark & cramped confines of a vehicle at night. I can forego the AW aspect if I have to but, I'm trying hard to choose the action which will incorporate them if possible.
All 3 of the action types are CRF which, I've deemed as necessary with the short stumpy BR &, except the deviant have interchangeable bolt heads which is high on my list as well.
Even though I can't find a single example of anyone running or even experimenting with AW mags in an ARC action, I just can't bring myself to give up just yet. I know there is the option of ARC mags which, by all accounts I can find, would perform admirably, as well as the MDT BR mag, I'm still hanging on defiantly to an AW option for the ARC actions.
Since you were kind enough to answer my Q, I would very much appreciate your ideas & what action you would choose & why?
Kind regards..................Barelstroker.

Is there any CRF action with a AW cut?
I’d wonder if you could get a round to slip under the extractor from the angle the AW mag presents from.

Is there any CRF action with a AW cut?
I’d wonder if you could get a round to slip under the extractor from the angle the AW mag presents from.
Both Deviant & bighorn TL3 have the AW cut option as do most other custom actions from what I can tell. The issue I have is trying to ensure that I won't finish up with a rifle that is nothing more than an expensive compromise.

Both Deviant & bighorn TL3 have the AW cut option as do most other custom actions from what I can tell. The issue I have is trying to ensure that I won't finish up with a rifle that is nothing more than an expensive compromise.
Sounds like an experienced smith to tune it all up is in order.

Possibly, although I'm trying to avoid that scenario. There are Smiths who can deal with the AW tuning but, that would require sending the rifle away which, is not preferred but not out of the question.
I'm of the opinion that if I'm thorough & realistic with research & choices, I should be able to avoid all but an initial gunsmith expense.

But even if the action is cut for the AW, would the action just end up as a push feed with AW mags and would that be acceptable to you?
I'd be OK with that for the most part, especially if it retained CRF if I could also use AI format mags when/if I wanted (meaning I could use AW and normal AI mags)
Also something to note, both ARC and MDT make really short 10 round double stack single feed (DSSF) mags. They are still harder to load that a true double stack, but height-wise, they are shorter than traditional AI mags. The ARC is the shortest. Some people have had issues with them and supply has been nonexistent for a while now. Accurate makes BR specific mags, but they are normal AI height for a SF mag.

I'm in the "kinda" final stages of choosing an action for my custom build. I've narrowed things down to 3 possible action choices. An ARC action, a TL3 or deviant elite or tactical. I'm building my rifle based around the BR cartridge family & have undertaken many months of info trawling on the what, why & how of that.
Although feeding & extraction of the cartridges is my primary goal, I really like the idea of running AW mags because of the mag length & loading from the top in the dark & cramped confines of a vehicle at night. I can forego the AW aspect if I have to but, I'm trying hard to choose the action which will incorporate them if possible.
All 3 of the action types are CRF which, I've deemed as necessary with the short stumpy BR &, except the deviant have interchangeable bolt heads which is high on my list as well.
Even though I can't find a single example of anyone running or even experimenting with AW mags in an ARC action, I just can't bring myself to give up just yet. I know there is the option of ARC mags which, by all accounts I can find, would perform admirably, as well as the MDT BR mag, I'm still hanging on defiantly to an AW option for the ARC actions.
Since you were kind enough to answer my Q, I would very much appreciate your ideas & what action you would choose & why?
Kind regards..................Barelstroker.
I don’t think that I’m actually qualified to advise you, but do agree with @Steel head:
Somebody like LRI or even Greg at Bugholes knows how to set up actions correctly for AW mags and the extra couple hundred you pay for that is worth the time and shipping. Just read a bit about all of the guys that saved a couple bucks just to fight their setup for months on end.

Just my opinion.

Got a pretty early Gen 1 Nuke on the original prebuy, and has been my main PRS rig since I received it. Running it with a Hawk Hill prefit, Barloc, original spring, amd Huber Trigger. Put it in a MPA Matrix and topped it with a ZCO this winter.

I'm about 1600 rounds on the action, with no major action failures.

Attachments

• 20210101_195303.jpg
    20210101_195303.jpg
    409.7 KB · Views: 49
I don’t think that I’m actually qualified to advise you, but do agree with @Steel head:

Somebody like LRI or even Greg at Bugholes knows how to set up actions correctly for AW mags and the extra couple hundred you pay for that is worth the time and shipping. Just read a bit about all of the guys that saved a couple bucks just to fight their setup for months on end.

Just my opinion.
I'm with you but, I'm a long way from those guys &, I'm not sure as to which gunsmiths are knowledgeable or willing to fuss about with such mods in my country. I've had phone conversations with a 1/2 dozen local gunsmiths about these subjects &, they all just try to convince me to do things the standard conventional way or, try to sell me something I don't want. Most gunsmiths here are booked out for months on end & don't need what they probably perceive as hassle jobs. In short, I've not yet had a conversation where the gunsmith seemed remotely interested.
I'm considering the idea of taking my business to an agent of sorts & liaising with them & a reputable rifle builder in the States & importing through the agent. The thought of going to the added expense & hassle of importing & being able to unbox a rifle which does exactly what I paid for is becoming more favourable with every phone conversation I have.

Got a pretty early Gen 1 Nuke on the original prebuy, and has been my main PRS rig since I received it. Running it with a Hawk Hill prefit, Barloc, original spring, amd Huber Trigger. Put it in a MPA Matrix and topped it with a ZCO this winter.

I'm about 1600 rounds on the action, with no major action failures.
I have to admit, I have a soft spot for ARC actions.
What cartridge are running?

Just my opinion.
Those stories, and there’s a lot of them are why I suggested hiring a Pro.

All that fuss for a shorter magazine...

Juice not worth the squeeze.
It's not only the shorter mag length although that is preferable. If that were the only consideration, I'd go with the ARC mags & be done which, may be how It'll finish up but, it's much more about loading the mag in the action without removal.
I realize it seems like a non issue in most circumstances &, for most situations it is but, we do most of our critter culling at night, from within a vehicle. It's much easier to keep rounds accessible & load from the top in the darkened vehicle than trying to load AICS mags in the dark. Swapping mags is do-able but, it's easier to keep the mag topped off as you're going along. Factory BDM systems are the most workable but, the round count is a little low when we come across large mobs. Typically, a shooter will get 6 to 8 shots down range before we have to start chasing down so a 10 round mag is about ideal in most cases. That's when the shooter would start topping off by feel while keeping tabs on the remaining critters. AW mags are not a deal breaker but they are preferred as long as they're reliable.

Reactions: gnochi and lash
Just got my new arc nucleus gen 2 rifle. It's still not complete so haven't put rounds through it yet. But I have done some dry firing. The bolt lift is super heavy after a trigger pull compared to just cycling the bolt without pulling the trigger. Sorry for the newb question but is this normal? Thanks!

Just got my new arc nucleus gen 2 rifle. It's still not complete so haven't put rounds through it yet. But I have done some dry firing. The bolt lift is super heavy after a trigger pull compared to just cycling the bolt without pulling the trigger. Sorry for the newb question but is this normal? Thanks!
Yes, when you pull the trigger you have to recock it. If you dont then its already cocked so you dont feel the spring pressure building.

Reactions: lash and Modoc

Hop on ARCs website and order the 19lb spring for the nucleus. It will help bolt lift dramatically

Reactions: Old-Cat
I've had this with every new action I've owned (ARC, badger, defiance, Curtis, gap, mack bros, etc). At least heavier not necessarily super heavy.

Yes, it is normal for that action and bolt.

Hop on ARCs website and order the 19lb spring for the nucleus. It will help bolt lift dramatically
As with anything I get that's new I tend to "baby" it at first. Did some dry firing last night and was more aggressive with it. It's not that bad. Is 19lb.safe to avoid light primer strikes? They also have 21. Thanks!

Is 19lb.safe to avoid light primer strikes? They also have 21. Thanks!

Insufficient pin protrusion and force, specifically from too light/worn springs, can have an impact on groups. It's not just about 'light strikes'.

Insufficient pin protrusion and force, specifically from too light/worn springs, can have an impact on groups. It's not just about 'light strikes'.
Thanks! Arc told me they routinely see guys run 19lb. Without issue. I think I'll try 21 and see what happens. If I have to switch back, no biggie.

Thanks! Arc told me they routinely see guys run 19lb. Without issue. I think I'll try 21 and see what happens. If I have to switch back, no biggie.

I've been running the light spring all along with no issues.

Do whatever you want, but I'd really suggest the 19. Between myself and a couple friends I know of 5 actions with thousands of rounds each on them without problems.

The 16 has some issues with a few people for a small percentage of primers. I have never heard of issues with the 19 from anyone.

Reactions: worm304
I'm running the 16lb for over a year with no issues. Can't stand heavy bolt lifts...

I had the light spring in my gen 1 and had problems with it not setting off rounds with my 224 valkyrie barrel switched to the heaviest one and haven't had a problem since

No issue here using the original 16# spring on SRP, but I use FGMM and have heard that some of the harder CCI can cause issues.