• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who does Bolt Knobs for CZ's?!!!

FINALLY got in touch with CZ and have to bolt knobs headed my way. Once I get them I am going to start testing and see how things go! I'll keep you guys updated in the progress.

To the guys who are wanting this done to their 452s, I'll have to have one of those bolts to modify the jig slightly. The 452 has an extra lug that is absent on the 455 bolt. But I still want to try and offer this for the 452(and most likely the 453 if the handles are similar) guys once everything gets going with the 455s.

Ben

Last edited:
FINALLY got in touch with CZ and have to bolt knobs headed my way. Once I get them I am going to start testing and see how things go! I'll keep you guys updated in the progress.

To the guys who are wanting this done to their 452s, I'll have to have one of those bolts to modify the jig slightly. The 452 has an extra lug that is absent on the 455 bolt. But I still want to try and offer this for the 452(and most likely the 453 if the handles are similar) guys once everything gets going with the 455s.

Ben

Thank you brother for your efforts :cool:

Whoever you get to do the install it is well worth it. I just had a Savage knob I got from DIP installed on my 455 by a local smith and it feels great. That knob and the Manners stock feels just like my 700. BenY, you will be busy once you get rolling. Sorry I couldn't wait!

Ben

I would be happy to let you use my 452 bolt to help you set up, if needed.

I finished threading a couple today.

Made some scaled down knobs to compliment the small action. Left the handles factory blue and Cerakoted the knobs Graphite Black

IMG_0215A_zpsf99ed280.jpg

Nice.

While I don't own a 455 myself, a good friend has a 455PT... and if you start selling these let me know as I'll pick one up for him.

Here's my latest one. I had a handle off the bolt, so made a piece that allowed me to bolt it into the Rem 700 style jig. This handle was sent with a PT&G knob to install, so the end is really small, which doesn't leave much room for a shoulder. To get the angle right I had to leave a little of the existing knob on the bottom, but can be smoothed out easily enough.

Anyone here want to do my 455 bolt handle? The stock one on my built 455 is kinda like having stock exhaust on a full build Harley.

I'll finally be testing mine on Tuesday or Wednesday this week, I'll keep everyone updated!

Ben

Well got around to testing it today....

The jig is going to work fine I think, had no issues with it. But... my HSS cutter isn't going to touch that thing... It just won't eat into that metal for some reason. Slowed the rpm down and it took a VERY light amount of metal off but that cutter is toast.

So new game plan is to find a cutter with the exact same dimensions except either full carbide or a carbide toothed cutter. So if anyone knows where I could have a custom cutter made I'd really appreciate the info.

Really sorry guys. Made me sick when it happened... I'm still wanting to go through with this but obviously it's just going to take some time.

Ben

Yes, they are hard, but not impossible. Win mod 70 knobs seem to be even harder than the CZ's and every now and then you find a really hard Savage knob. Try carbide cutters. The only problem I ran into is the casting voids that are inside the material.

Got an update. A very good machinist friend of mine found a carbide cutter that should work and a couple of those tools are on their way. If that does't work then I talked with my machining teacher and he gave me another good suggestion. So it's going to get done one way or another. I apologize it is taking so long. It really is sickening to me that it did not work the 1st time...

Ben

Got an update. A very good machinist friend of mine found a carbide cutter that should work and a couple of those tools are on their way. If that doest work then I talked with my machining teacher and he gave me another good suggestion. So it's going to get done one way or another. I apologize it is taking so long. It really is sickening to me that it did not work the 1st time...

Ben

Don't beat yourself up over something your still learning about bud. I for one appreciate your efforts, carry on.

mscott said:
Here's my latest one. I had a handle off the bolt, so made a piece that allowed me to bolt it into the Rem 700 style jig. This handle was sent with a PT&G knob to install, so the end is really small, which doesn't leave much room for a shoulder. To get the angle right I had to leave a little of the existing knob on the bottom, but can be smoothed out easily enough.

The problem with leaving a shoulder is that the knob is not concentric with the handle stem. When you you machine the tenon it will be concentric with the handle if it was dialed in to it but the shoulder will be left eccentric. With this situation the only way to get the tenon and shoulder running concentric with the handle is that you will have to add metal, no two ways around it.

Here is my handle I did today. Everything is running true with one another and IMHO will look the cleanest but there is significantly more work involved.

IMG_0359_zpsf4ad4a6b.jpg

If you are after getting a shoulder concentric with the tenon then you will need to dial the handle in by the knob and not the stem of the handle. That will throw the angle off and the knob will be going a different direction than the lines of the handle. I hope that makes sense.

The other way is to do what I have done previously and not leave a shoulder and just have the knob bottom out on the threaded stud. Here are examples of each, both are machined concentric to the factory handle.

IMG_0353_zpse83a65bd.jpg

I think the way I am going to be doing them on the mill I should be able to get the handle flush with the knob. May take a bit of filing afterwards but I think as long as I am dial in with the knob well it should be very concentric to the knob. Only reason my last one wasn't is because my jig broke down in the middle of machining..

Still waiting on tooling...

Ben

Ben glad to see you hanging in there.
keep at it an dont let it kick your a$$
you got to much into now.
i`am sure the new tool will help, but just maybe try an grind the knob down a little 1st

Appreciate the kind words! Unfortunately I did grind off part of the knob before I did it this last time still ate the HSS like it was nothing. These new carbide tipped cutters should help! Patiently(oh what ever) awaiting them....

Ben

I did 9 CZ452 handles on the weekend... C'mon Beny! I used a 40 grit linishing belt, ground the shit out of them (wore gloves and glasses so I could really flog it), threw them in a bucket of water when they got to hot and moved onto the next handle... Now i'm filling in the cavities with Silver solder so that I can machine them to a 6mm shaft, and put an M6 thread on them, blast, cerakote, assemble with knob.

Appreciate the kind words! Unfortunately I did grind off part of the knob before I did it this last time still ate the HSS like it was nothing. These new carbide tipped cutters should help! Patiently(oh what ever) awaiting them....

Ben

i hear ya!!! keep us updated

I have a 452 that I am planning on building.. I would love one.. Is anyone wanting to do one or has one please let me know.. I am willing to even send them mine to use..

All you guys doing them they look great!!!!!

Last edited:
Planning on trying to do another one some time this week. Picked up another 455 action this evening. I thinking APA type bolt knob, AICS chassis system, Anschutz barrel machined to fit. Should be fun! Anyhow the bolt handle should be ready sometime soon! I'll be sure to post pics of the work!

Ben

Planning on trying to do another one some time this week. Picked up another 455 action this evening. I thinking APA type bolt knob, AICS chassis system, Anschutz barrel machined to fit. Should be fun! Anyhow the bolt handle should be ready sometime soon! I'll be sure to post pics of the work!

Ben

BenY keep up the great work looking forward to seeing it done!!!!

I appreciate the comments guys, the handle should mate up a little prettier in the picture, this one isn't all the way torqued down yet. Thank you guys who encouraged me to keep working at it! I believe it is going to pay off! More to come!

What's the difference between 452/452/455 bolt handles? They all look the same in the photos but there has to be something???

The 452 (and I believe the 453) have and extra lug on the bolt that is absent on the 455. Should be some pictures of the bolt here: CZ 452 American vs. CZ 455 American

Ben

The matching 455 and 452 handles above are mine (I'm guessing) completed by Charlie.

Received today and I'm very pleased with them. the machining and finish is very good (as expected) and most importantly (to me) the scale of the knob is perfect for a rimfire rifle.. (poor photos below).. On my 452..

455 build is underway..

RJ

Here's one that I am almost done with and thought I'd share, line up much nicer that the one before!

2ylmpfa.jpg

Ben

It's certainly getting there! Big things to come, or at least I think they will be. I hope you guys are gonna like it!

Ben