• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who Else Loves That First Cup of Coffee in the Morning

Well some of you will probably think this is crazy, but I make my coffee with cold water. Yep, it's a process I learned from my uncle when I was just around college age. They had a contraption that soaked a pound of coffee overnight in cold water, then in the morning they'd decant just the liquid and store it in the refrigerator. This is the "coffee essence," and you mix about 6 ounces with a mug of very hot water. The essence from a pound of coffee lasts me about 10 days, until I have to make another batch. I find the coffee to have less of a harsh taste because there's no hot water to bring the tar out of the bean, but it has a full-bodied coffee flavor. You can mix more or less essence to make your cup stronger, but it never gets sharp or nasty flavored because you're just using the essence of the bean -- no tannins or oils that hot water brings out.

You can find it on Amazon under the brand name OXO Good Grips cold brew coffee.
+1 on the Oxo cold Brewer.

1585658759877.png

Every cup is still as good as the first one.

Cafe Domingo.

Attachments

• 864EAACB-F19B-4349-A7F0-A56568E0EC15.jpeg
    864EAACB-F19B-4349-A7F0-A56568E0EC15.jpeg
    541.6 KB · Views: 39
Reactions: CarlM
When younger I thought Ham & eggs, raw egg cracked into a glass and a Hamm's beer filling it up great morning drink

When younger I thought Ham & eggs, raw egg cracked into a glass and a Hamm's beer filling it up great morning drink

Ahhh...Hamm's beer. The good old days when you could have cartoon beer commercials on network TV. Before the dogooders spoiled all the fun and pussified generations of youth.

I miss the Hamm's bear and Joe Camel!

Reactions: Kir

How do you like the coffee from the chemex? How does it compare to say coffee prepared in a French press?

I make all my coffee with a French press, really enjoy it. As far as coffee goes, you can definitely tell the difference in quality and taste between a small time artisan roaster and the massed produced junk out there. If I drink coffee, I want it to be because I enjoy the coffee, and some of the stuff coming out of small time roasters is amazing. Lately I've been getting my coffee from drinktrade.com, cool site with some great coffees.

How do you like the coffee from the chemex? How does it compare to say coffee prepared in a French press?

I make all my coffee with a French press, really enjoy it. As far as coffee goes, you can definitely tell the difference in quality and taste between a small time artisan roaster and the massed produced junk out there. If I drink coffee, I want it to be because I enjoy the coffee, and some of the stuff coming out of small time roasters is amazing. Lately I've been getting my coffee from drinktrade.com, cool site with some great coffees.

Ive been brewing Black Rifle Coffee Co - Just Black.

I cant compare Chemex to FP as I have never FP'd.

I like that I can aerate the coffee in the Chemex. I swirl the brew in the glass bowl and when poured it comes out with a head on it.

The morning coffee is my best coffee of the day, later in the day Im drinking keurig or Dunkin as time allows.

Reactions: canman and kthomas
Ive been brewing Black Rifle Coffee Co - Just Black.

I cant compare Chemex to FP as I have never FP'd.

I like that I can aerate the coffee in the Chemex. I swirl the brew in the glass bowl and when poured it comes out with a head on it.

The morning coffee is my best coffee of the day, later in the day Im drinking keurig or Dunkin as time allows.

I may try a chemex, I've heard nothing but good things.

There’s a good local roaster down the road from me. Then I started down the road of pour-overs. My reloading OCD has crept into my coffee game to maintain that perfect ratio...

Attachments

• AF48E15F-F77D-4527-8C26-D405C4DB38EA.jpeg
    AF48E15F-F77D-4527-8C26-D405C4DB38EA.jpeg
    83.5 KB · Views: 43
  • 806441B9-4527-4BB9-8ECE-513174F73D12.jpeg
    806441B9-4527-4BB9-8ECE-513174F73D12.jpeg
    112.2 KB · Views: 29
Reactions: kthomas
They’re pretty amazing.
Really good coffee.

I have the following coffee makers, and my opinion on each (not in any particular order):

Bunn drip coffee maker - best drip coffee I've had. Great for when people are over and I don't want to spend a ton of time making coffee. Brews really fast.

Chemex - My favorite coffee. Strong, not too bitter but still lets you know its coffee and not some pussy tea.

French Press - decent, coffee often comes out a bit bitter which is not so much an issue for me (USMC coffee will kill people with weak constitutions). Pretty dependent on consistent brewing practices

Breville Dual Boiler espresso machine. Worst $1300 I ever spent. Terrible machine that's given nothing but trouble and currently sitting on a shelf in my garage waiting to go back for repair (again).

*Edited to add that my coffee comes from a local coffee shop that roasts in-house and ground at home on a burr grinder*

Reactions: Dewey7271
I may try a chemex, I've heard nothing but good things.

One note with the chemex; be aware to watch for it getting clogged during the brew. If it does clog just lift up the filter a tiny amount and set it back down.

Reactions: kthomas
Yuban better believe it!
I recently bought a small bag of dark roast, already ground up. I think the darker it is, the more burnt it tastes. I guess that's why I don't like Starbucks!
I like grinding my own beans just before I make a pot.

Bored, been reading through this thread. We live in rural Ark. Unless we order it we dont have big selection of coffee. For sure no local roaster!! I generally drink the Folger’s Columbian. But, we can run the house on well water or Public water system. Our well water makes 2x better coffee than the rural water system. I was kinda amazed at the expense, trouble, technical ways some on here go through to make coffee and nothing was mentioned about the main ingrediant. Play with the water only, leave everything else the same and see how that affects your coffee. You will see a change!!

I had coffee this last weekend from filtered snow melt running down the mountain.
So close To the source, there was snow all around while getting the water from the creek.

You are right, big difference.

Was sad when my water bottle was out of that tasty water back in the truck too....

that said, its 43F and raining here, so the coffee was pretty welcome at 0500 today.

you mean to tell me that there are people who dont drink coffee in the morning?

first thing I do in the morning is make the coffee for the two of us in my house that drink coffee.

Reactions: Sean the Nailer
Bored, been reading through this thread. We live in rural Ark. Unless we order it we dont have big selection of coffee. For sure no local roaster!! I generally drink the Folger’s Columbian. But, we can run the house on well water or Public water system. Our well water makes 2x better coffee than the rural water system. I was kinda amazed at the expense, trouble, technical ways some on here go through to make coffee and nothing was mentioned about the main ingrediant. Play with the water only, leave everything else the same and see how that affects your coffee. You will see a change!!

You mean not everyone starts with distilled water and adds potassium bicarbonate and sodium bicarb to reach the ideal molar value? 🤯

I thought that was a given? :unsure:

Reactions: hondo1312
Still using the Eight O'clock whole bean that Dad and Grandaddy drank. I remember going to the A&P store with my grandmother as a kid and got to hold the bag when the beans ran thru the grinder. Got hooked on the smell then. Still grind my own every morning, just use filtered water from a cistern to keep out the chlorine. Bring the whole pot to work in one of those stainless carafes and everybody hates it every time I pour a cup. But I ain't paying $2 a cup or $15-20 a pound and my coffee beans aren't burnt either...I do miss the Kona from Hawaii when stationed there, but it was local then and no more than any other brand in the 70's. My dos centavos...

One note with the chemex; be aware to watch for it getting clogged during the brew. If it does clog just lift up the filter a tiny amount and set it back down.

Never had mine clog.

I use whatever grind BRCC sends their ground coffee with.

It is pretty coarse.

FM, I hear you. For the longest time I too didn't drink coffee at all. Then just before I hit 30 I was working 12 hr night shifts right after 12 hr day shifts. (quick flip) and then I started drinking it.

Now, myself and My Lady each have one cup of coffee in the morning. But it is turbo-nuclear-super-concentrated. Espresso!!!!! We've had a few different espresso makers/machines here, and I'm just wondering if any of ya'll have them/use them/recommend one in particular?

1 cup of this stuff a day is easily the equivalent of a pot of coffee. I highly recommend it. :D
Sean, the Nailer. Go to Wally-World (WalMart) or (go to their site to see) and into the coffee maker isle and look for an aluminum Cuban coffee maker ( IMUSA USA 6 Cup Cool Touch Handle Espresso Coffee Maker) for about $14. You simply unscrew the top half off, fill the bottom half to the line with water. Then there is a small funnel with holes that you fill and pack tight with Café Bustelo or Café Pilon (ground expresso/Cuban coffee roast) then carefully screw the top half back on and put it on the stove and turn the stove to high. In a few minutes the maker will whistle and when the steam stops the top half is full of expresso (unsweetened) coffee. To make Cuban coffee("Liquid Lightning") just pour out the whole 5 ounces and stir in 1 large spoon of sugar and in 5 minutes sweat will pop out on your forehead and …...shiiiiii

Sean, the Nailer. Go to Wally-World (WalMart) or (go to their site to see) and into the coffee maker isle and look for an aluminum Cuban coffee maker ( IMUSA USA 6 Cup Cool Touch Handle Espresso Coffee Maker) for about $14. You simply unscrew the top half off, fill the bottom half to the line with water. Then there is a small funnel with holes that you fill and pack tight with Café Bustelo or Café Pilon (ground expresso/Cuban coffee roast) then carefully screw the top half back on and put it on the stove and turn the stove to high. In a few minutes the maker will whistle and when the steam stops the top half is full of expresso (unsweetened) coffee. To make Cuban coffee("Liquid Lightning") just pour out the whole 5 ounces and stir in 1 large spoon of sugar and in 5 minutes sweat will pop out on your forehead and …...shiiiiii

I have one of those along with my other methods.
The Imusa makes good espresso, but don't trust that the unit will whistle to tell you it's done.

I reported you to the admins. Have you no shame?!
Look at the shitty resolution on that pic!
I cant beat my meat to 4 pixels hoping that that is a tittie, you fucking savage. You can redeem yourself with better res images.
Lmao she seems like a good time.

It is interesting how the context in which you are drinking coffee makes a HUGE difference. Some of the best cups of Joe were made at the campfire after a night in the back country camping out under the starts.

This 👆.

Also, the enjoyment of coffee shares an inverse relationship to the current level of discomfort or suffering.

Never had mine clog.

I use whatever grind BRCC sends their ground coffee with.

It is pretty coarse.

Yeah, if yours never clogs you're definitely on the coarse side of things.

But there is no right or wrong when it comes to taste.

As long as you're enjoying the taste in the cup; you've got it right.

Reactions: pmclaine
Thread too long, didn’t read

Do you coffee snobs approve of bunn and ore ground coffee?

Also free @centuraitor. He was also posting stuff for sale cheap

The Imusa makes good espresso, but don't trust that the unit will whistle to tell you it's done.

Whoa!!! Moka pots can make good coffee (or moka), but it is not espresso! 😤

Pure blasphemy... 🤣

Bunn does some things very well. They also do somethings not so well... depends on which type of equipment and model if it gets snobbery approval.

Ground coffee in snobbery circles on the other hand is lower than Savage is to this community. Grinding it yourself just before brewing is the only acceptable method.

...actually with the recent market proliferation of sample roasters. Snobbery circles are trending on if you don't roast your own beans these days you're doing it wrong. Needless to say coffee snobbery circles can go down rabbit holes just as deep, time consuming and expensive as any precision rifle rabbit hole.

• Haha
Reactions: deersniper
Ironically enough, boys.... but that IS what I'm using here. I started off many years ago, using a cheap 'espresso machine' that was given to me, then I upgraded to a Krups machine, but there's a fair bit of dorking around to get each cup. I got one of these-here IMUSA jobbies, and one of those is a mug for me.

But I know what I don't know, and I know that I don't know everything.... so I had to ask. Maybe there was something better out there that was still in the realm of reasonable and logical regarding pricing. There are way too many machines out there that also slice and dice and chop and whisk and even make julienne fries...... but the dollars asked are ridiculously phenomenal. For a cup of coffee. (real coffee, not that weak-assed fake crap).

Thank you gentlemen, I shall continue on. That don't mean I'm not open to improvement, but a good coffee don't taste any better out of a solid-gold mug, either.

Whoa!!! Moka pots can make good coffee (or moka), but it is not espresso! 😤

Pure blasphemy... 🤣

Bunn does some things very well. They also do somethings not so well... depends on which type of equipment and model if it gets snobbery approval.

Ground coffee in snobbery circles on the other hand is lower than Savage is to this community. Grinding it yourself just before brewing is the only acceptable method.

...actually with the recent market proliferation of sample roasters. Snobbery circles are trending on if you don't roast your own beans these days you're doing it wrong. Needless to say coffee snobbery circles can go down rabbit holes just as deep, time consuming and expensive as any precision rifle rabbit hole.
Lol Ima stick with my pregroubd Starbucks dark roast and bunn. I don’t have enough time for guns let alone coffee rabbit hoes

• Haha
Reactions: goosed
Lol Ima stick with my pregroubd Starbucks dark roast and bunn. I don’t have enough time for guns let alone coffee rabbit hoes

I'm a glutten for rabbit holes, but even I have my limits... roasting is beyond those limits.

But I do like what you did there... "rabbit hoes" 🤣

Reactions: deersniper

Bunn is a great machine.

My Holy Grail of coffee has the following recipe - Old school diner, counter stool, Bunn machine, white china mug, waitress with some sarcasm, bacon and eggs.