• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes the best 338 Lapua?

Re: Who makes the best 338 Lapua?

Zak,
I wouldnt mind finding a place to stretch out the legs on my T'Wolf when I get back to the states.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Opar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">So I emailed PGWDTI and they still have some Timberwolf's available. Does anyone here have experience with both a Timberwolf and an AI AWM .338LM?

I'm looking at investing in one of the two, and i'm wondering about durability in the field as well as the accuracy, the little info I can find on the Timberwolf names it very accurate, but there are so few of them out there, I can't find any reviews/articles to compare it.

Any input is helpful, not trying to hijack the thread, but both PGW and AI seem to have come up abit in this thread... </div></div>

What is your location?

If it's not far from me, you can try out my Timberwolf.

The people I know that have the AI in .338LM live 2000 miles away.

HPIM1294.jpg

HPIM1272.jpg

I have a Twolf and I have played with a lot of AI's. They are both excellent systems and you couldn't go wrong with either one.

what about EDbrowns marine sniper in .338 win mag. unless there is a big differance between the win. mag and the LM.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tjrumseyjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what about EDbrowns marine sniper in .338 win mag. unless there is a big differance between the win. mag and the LM. </div></div>

You must be kidding.
sleep.gif

I just checked out PGW site. Those sticks are awesome. The barrel alone gives me a woody. But for 7500$$ I dont know. I may put my old lady out on the street for a while and pinmp in some cash.

I wouldn't kick a hog in ass for an ebrown rifle
+1 Lt arclight

I had a TRG and it was a fine rifle except for the 1 in 12 twist of the barrel. But for the price it is great buy, and it is a shame that they dont make a 1 in 10 twist barrel. I sold it for an AIAW that is still on back order, I don't know what the hellis going on a Tac Pro but it has been pushed back again until late august. But if you paying a lot of money in the excess of 6,500.00 i would have it built buy a reputible gun builder. I like Gap, I have a Rock by them that is AWSOME and I like Surgeon Rifle, but it all comes down to what is comfrotable with you and your wallet. If you got the cash to spend a nice rifle buy it, but if you want the best rifle for you have one built to your standards. Either way you cant go wrong

+1 it comes down to what is comfortable for your wallet.

I'm waiting for Terry to finish his current load of custom rifles and then I'm in line to get one of his Long Swords in his proprietary McMillan stock.

JeffVN

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: aregullinjr</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a TRG and it was a fine rifle except for the 1 in 12 twist of the barrel. </div></div>

Can anyone please advise me of why a 1 in 12 is not suitable (I dont shoot 338LM soooo)? But please read the Amazing Trajectory thread from my Finnland friend JL before you just say because it cant shoot the proper projectile and the distances we trying to achieve lol. I am looking for firsthand reasons and not because "so and so" said it lol.

Its just I see that comment all the time in regards to the TRG and the 12 twist, but yet those that shoot that same setup without the luxury of saying "I need different twist barrel" have very very good results.

Thanks

I had a 1x12 TRG and it would shoot 250s into one hole. When I used 300s it would group big as a house.

Now that was TRG41 with 1x12 twist. The new TRG42s have 1x11 twist and should be fine

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tactical</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I had a 1x12 TRG and it would shoot 250s into one hole. When I used 300s it would group big as a house.

Now that was TRG41 with 1x12 twist. The new TRG42s have 1x11 twist and should be fine </div></div>

SAKO

Nope,TRG42 is a 1/12".(1/11" in 300WM and 308 (TRG22)

Damm I was told last year by dealer they where 1x11" twist I also read it on line. Where they wrong then or now? Anyone actually check because I have been thinking of purchasing one when I get back from the World Championships next year.

Mike

The Finns I talk with say the 42 has a 1 in 12 twist. He post complete gun and ammo specs in the amazing trajectory thread.

Thanks

hi I`m new in this forum
i have a TRG-22 and it`s just a great tool I really enjoy shooting it
and now i`m ready to buy a blaser tactical II in .338 lap magnum
cause i`m impress with the barrel switching.

Wouldn't do that...........I do not think they are safe ----------------still.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cassanti</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hi I`m new in this forum

</div></div>

+1 TWO SHOES----That Blaser sure impressed someone when the bolt blew out. OUCH!!!

i'd take a TRG-42 still... look at what some of those who use them in service can do with them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: altonralston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I shot Bill's AI .338 at TacPro once and fell in love. Be sure to buy a can for it though, it makes for really nice shooting. I'd get one but I couldn't afford to shoot it. </div></div>

Unless he's got more than one, I've seen him shoot it and it was impressive. But then again he can probably make anything look impressive.

Chupa

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cassanti</div><div class="ubbcode-body">hi I`m new in this forum

</div></div>

+1 TWO SHOES----That Blaser sure impressed someone when the bolt blew out. OUCH!!! </div></div>
Ya Blaser are a real piece of sh*t, I would much prefer be behind the Browning or Remington
crazy.gif

http://www.testfakta.se/Article.aspx?a=16350

Now if some of us could read the details....might be nice.
<span style="font-weight: bold">I do notice the BOLT is not through the eye socket, and sticking out the back of anyone's head.............
crazy.gif
</span>

The PGW Timberwolf is the best and beats the AI hands down... I think it is the finest 338LM on the market.

There are both here at Rifles Only, Pretty sure they just viewed an episode of Tactical Impact with Larry Vickers and he was down here at Rifles Only using the PGW Timberwolf to demonstrate the effectiveness of the rifle, and round...

Stock in PGW has just doubled on that announcement.
wink.gif

Best out of the box Accuracy International Artic Warfare Super Magnum (AIAWSM). Incredibly accurate and consistent.

The AI's can take some pretty serious abuse and keep on ticking.

Plenty of good rifles out there, pick one of top ones and practice till you get best out of it.
At the end of the day, shooter is the one that makes the difference.

Timberwolf was in test here a while ago. It turned out that its just another good rifle, no more- no less.

P.S.
Bullet doesent recognize rifles...

for me accurracy international. For ultimate performance the 338 gordy, by my gunsmith gordy gritters---they shoot this at 2 miles---it's on video--with about 210 moa on a custom base---reeves out

In our military units many TRG42 broke down their stocks at pistol grip , now it seems Sako fixed up that problem with their new metallic folding stock but I have not got any news about its reliability yet.

The AI AWM is the best "out of the box" 338Lm SWS in town IMHO , no shit .

PP out

What about this one... Europe made PGM Precision - 338LM

MiniHecate-SIMRAD.jpg

5shots200meters220yards.jpg

5 shots 220 yards (200meters)

I did some digging on the Accuracy International rifle and talked to the Ai rep on the East Coast about what I thought I remembered about the rifle.

In terms of out of the box reliability, I think the AI AVM would be hard to top. In the NATO acceptance testing, the AVM had a track record of over 20,000 rounds MRTF (Mean Rounds to Failure), exclusing the barrel. The barrel, however, is no slouch as far as barrels go - honest expectations on barrel life are 7500 rounds (give or take for someone putting hit loads through it.) I suppose that's why a replacement barrel will set you back around $1200.

The barrels are field replaceable. Screw one of, screw the other on, check it with go and no-go gauges, and start shooting again. AI claims that the zero won't change (I have not replaced a barrel yet, so I can't vouch for this).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI AVM would be hard to top. In the NATO acceptance testing, the AVM</div></div>
Is that the <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>rctic <span style="font-weight: bold">V</span>ulcan <span style="font-weight: bold">M</span>agnum?

The zero changes barrel to barrel. It's not much. Mine have been within no more than a new minutes max. Some are less than 1 MOA.

My AI's have only failed when: (1) I got stones in the bolt lug area, unknowingly crushed them, and needed a brush (think small toilet brush) to get them out (the gun was fine afterwards), and (2) I had too hot loads in .260REM or 6.5x47 which extruded primer cup material into the firing pin hole, the debris then blocked FP channel behind the bolt face (striker wouldn't drop).

I have to tell ya' you should check out the Wounded Warrior .338 rifle it is the rifle to get.
http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=864613&page=1
quote=Fletcher/AAC]Tickets are available now for the raffle, just call to get them. They are $10 each or 15 tickets for $100.

We just got an exclusive picture from KMW of the WWP 338 rifle. It has been barreled by Jered and Dave at PAI and shipped to Terry at KMW for it&#146;s stock, bottom metal, and pillar bedding. This is Terry&#146;s new stock design, and we are pumped to be getting one out of his shop for WWP.

The build specs are as follows:

&#149; Surgeon XL Action
&#149; Krieger 1-10&#148; twist 23&#148; barrel
&#149; KMW McMillan Sentinel Combat stock
&#149; KMW bottom metal
&#149; Tuned Remington trigger
&#149; AAC Titan silencer
&#149; USO SN-3 mil/mil scope
&#149; Seekins rings
&#149; KMW/Harris bipod

Special thanks to Terry, Jered, and Dave for their quick work with this project!

WWPJune08.jpg
[/quote]

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Zak Smith</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AI AVM would be hard to top. In the NATO acceptance testing, the AVM</div></div>
Is that the <span style="font-weight: bold">A</span>rctic <span style="font-weight: bold">V</span>ulcan <span style="font-weight: bold">M</span>agnum?

The zero changes barrel to barrel. It's not much. Mine have been within no more than a new minutes max. Some are less than 1 MOA.

</div></div>

blush.gif
One of these days, I'll get my "V"'s and "W"'s right! Artic Varfare! Vunderbar!

I was exchanging e-mails with someone that knows the PGW 338 very well. He prefers the AI AWSM over the PGW based upon the his experiences. I still like the looks of the rifle though.

Pat

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Vulcan</div><div class="ubbcode-body">....honest expectations on barrel life are 7500 rounds ....</div></div>

Hey , that's way too optimistic !

Barrel life expectancy is not more than 1.500 rounds for a 338LM .

I also like the PGM design , even if I never shot one , but for amos the same retail price I preferred to go with the AI AWM hands down .

PP out