• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Who makes the best 338 Lapua?

Re: Who makes the best 338 Lapua?

This is a pretty interesting thread. Have been shooting a .338/300 for several years, in hunting rifles. That is a .300win necked up to .338. Very accurate and powerful is my experience.

A number of good point raised here. I own a TRG42 in .300win. Had Pac-Nor short-chamber a 26" Palma contour SS match 1:10 3 groove barrel a while back. I improved the chamber with my reamer to a very minimum oal chamber. I get about .01" of case stretch from virgin W-W brass and the headspace is on the shoulder, not the belt.

The .338/300 is incredibly versatile. If anyone wants a .338 that is affordable to shoot, this is the one. Good Brass is .60ea, or spend more if you like. W-W is just fine. Max velocity is within 50fps or so of .340Wby and .338Rum; about 100-150fps less than the .338 Lapua. Except, unlike the Lapua and other lg mag ctgs you can run mild loads. I have a good supply of XMR4350, and have loaded 65gr up to 79gr with 250gr bullets. Recoil and report are very mild w/65gr. Light loads in a lg cap magnum risk detonation, though so for versatility only the .338/300 has what you want...

Pac-Nor did my barrel for under $400 delivered. Took my measurements from boltface and boltnose to receiver shoulder and the engraving I requested on the barrel lined up perfectly! Need a new barrel with 1:9.4 or 10 twist? Don't buy a new rifle, just order your barrel.

Interesting thing about Beretta USA is they sell bolt bodies in .472, .532, and .588 boltface patterns. You can own one TRG42 and with switchbarrels, magazines, and bolt bodies, have a complete rifle system. I have 3 TRG-S barrels which also function fine on my 42. Have seen the AI interchangeable barrel video, pretty incredible to think you can torque a barrel 100 ft lbs in the field. With a Sako you can hand tighten and be good to go, or carry a barrel vise and go 60 inch pounds or so.

I am not a velocity junkie. About 2700 to 2750fps is all I seek from my .308win w/168 or even .300win w/200. Works fine with the 250gr Sierra, Hornady, or Barnes that I shoot. Did I mention that my TRG42 magazine holds 7 rounds?

Years ago, talking with Sierra tech about barrel life, guy told me they see barrel throats on large magnum rifles negatively impacted by large powder volumes burned, and that this often occurs as early as 650rds. I suspect anyone who thinks they're gonna get 1500 rds of accurate fire from a .338 Lapua is kidding themselves. Also am of the opinion that no rifle is truly "field ready" if it must be fitted with a brake to fire effectively. A suppressor is undoubtedly the answer, but not one I seek as a resident of the USA under current firearms law.

No one here is discussing "transition velocity"? Don't know if it is just BS or scientific fact, but until a 200+ grain bullet begins to tumble, like the poor brother killed by the wayward bullet, I'm sure a .338 slug traveling 1000fps will kill whatever it impacts. Seem to recall that at 1000yds the difference in bullets started with a velocity range difference of 500fps is negligible. Then again, the guys buying a .338/408 Chey-Tac are trying to cheat the wind with their great velocity binging. Doesn't really happen though, does it?

The biggest factor in rifle accuracy that I have ever seen is the minimum oal chamber. Betcha that even a Rem 700 that's had its barrel set forward to deliver a .0005" over SAAMI minimum chamber and fired with brass fire-formed in that chamber will outshoot anything with a longer oal chamber; other factors being equal of course.

Wonder why if the TRG 22/42 stock is so prone to break at the pistolgrip, no one makes a replacement butt member?

I think you buy a TRG42 and a Near Precision base, you would have it all. Buy that rifle in .300win and save a few hundred, then get the bolt body, magazines, and a replacement barrel or two in Lapua Mag or Norma Mag and be set; plus you've saved about $2000

I believe the Bushmaster MCR 400 is suppose to come out at the first of 2010 sometime. I cant wait for the rifle to debut. I have tried to do some research online about it. I am thinking it will turn some heads. Does anyone know with any certainty what price range it will be in? Below or above $2000? If it does what its suppose to do, it will be one of the last rifles I will need to buy.
smile.gif
Any and all input on this rifle would be greatly appreciated.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BMG50CAL</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What happened to Wildcat Bullets ? I use to shoot them they were the shit some of the BC i was getting were unbelievable.

Glad i stocked up </div></div>

Wildcat Bullets has been bought and Paul is bringing the line back. He is a regular over at LongRangeHunting.com. Last time he checked in, he was trying to keep up with orders for 7mm bullets, but has been having trouble securing jacket material for the new dies.

Texas Republic, I know for a fact Bushy is in production with the semi auto 338. At my local range I saw some bushy people shooting the semi auto. You and me both are waiting for the same thing:)

...they are...???...can you provide a source...???...

...I have been beating the web for autoloading 338 LM's and could find only the Edge RND 2000 and the Vigilance rifles...

...I had heard of the Bushmaster but could find nothing about it...not even on their website...

...all I could find was some sort of single shot 50 BMG upper for AR rifles...

A .338LM worth considering...

SRS_02.jpg

basically all i know is that Bushmaster bought Cobb manufacturing a while back. Cobb were the ones that originally came out with the MCR series. Bushy has been saying they are fixing to come out with the same line now through their own company. I am sure the rifle will look much of the same. Last I heard, they were putting final touches on it by trying to get the weight of the rifle trimmed up some. They are suppose to come out finally at the first of 2010.
The best websites that i could still dig up on the guns are below. They are pics and info from the Cobb MCR series, but surely they will be much of the same with a cheaper price hopefully now since bushy is spitting them out.

You know anything more shadow warrior? Like price or anything?

http://www.defensereview.com/cobb-scar-candidatemcr-prototype-weapons-at-shot-show-2005/

http://www.defensereview.com/1_31_2004/CobbPressMCR.htm

It took me a LONG while to find those sites too for some reason. Not sure why they never came up with searches. I just had to dig.

...they look interesting but methinks we will still be better off with the RND 2000, considering that cost is not a factor in this case and that the interchangabilty of calibers and barrels is not a consideration here either...

...the primary consideration here is precision, and I don't think the Cobb rifle as offered from Bushmaster @<$3000 will be up to the standard of the RND rifles...

...another factor is the non reciprocating left side mounted charging handle featured on the RND 2000, lacking on the Cobb rifle, although I see that the Cobb rifle has done way with the rear mounted charging handle, a bane of the AR format, imho...

whats the price on the RND 2000 usually run these days?
Just curious..how do you know the price for bushmaster's MCR will be below $3000? Just assuming?

...something I read...but I don't <span style="font-style: italic">know</span> that the price point they are shooting for is written in stone yet...

...<span style="font-weight: bold">assume</span> makes an <span style="font-weight: bold">ass</span> out of <span style="font-weight: bold">u</span> and <span style="font-weight: bold">me</span>...

...the base price for the RND 2000 is $4695...

...with all of the options the total cost of the rifle in question will be $7395, plus $60 shipping...

...this is the "best" .338 Lapua for my application...

RND 2000 .338 LAPUA

RND PART - MUZZLE BRAKE

RND PART - 4 x 10 ROUND MAG (1 included w/rifle)

RND PART - 4 x 5 ROUND MAG

RND PART - RAIL 30 MOA

RND PART - SET OF TACTICAL RINGS - 34mm

GISSELE TRIGGER

1:10 TWIST RATE

BARREL - 26"

CRYO BARREL

GREY GUN COAT

BI-POD

UNI-POD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Texas Republic</div><div class="ubbcode-body">whats the price on the RND 2000 usually run these days?
Just curious..how do you know the price for bushmaster's MCR will be below $3000? Just assuming? </div></div>

...I am trying to find a link back to wherever I read that but am failing...I recall reading that Bushmaster was trying to lower the price point to below the prices of the original Cobb projections, hopefully to as little as $2500...

...also, on closer inspection of some pictures of the Cobb/Bushmaster rifle, I see that the rear charging handle of the AR format rifles has been retained...I was in error there...

THE BEST AND STILL UNMACHED IS THE ERMA WERKE SR100. I OWNED 2 OF THESE AND AI .338, AS WE AS A DSR-1 .388 LM.
FROM EXPERIENCE.
I SOLD 1 ERMA, THE AI, AND THE DSR. AND KEPT A NEW AND UNFIRED ERMA. NOTHING AND I MEAN NOTHING COMPARES.

I know you said "out of the box" but I don't get why....I'm just a rookie but my first 338L was a GAP and I love it. Should consider custom and get exactly what you want.

You saying those rifles will outshoot my Gap built Surgeon XL .338LM?

I'd have to see that to believe it............

What was your load and bullets used???(NICE) group

The original question is impossible to answer directly. Every user has an opinion depended of the rifle he has used. There are a lot of good rifles, but the only way I see possible to answer the question is to put them on the same ruthless field test.

To the test I would pick.

AW accuracy international
Sako TRG-42
PGWTDI Timberwolf
DTA SRS
DSR 1
RPA rangemaster
Mac Millan TAC 338
Barret b98

No I did not mention Remington at all.

Strenghts of TRG-42.(I own one and compete with it)

-Smooth operation and good feeding.
-Stable construction and does not brake up easily.
-Difference of cold bore shot and next to none at +c tempratures.
-Accurate with 250grs bullets
-Good ergonomics
-Good muzzle brake

Weakpoints of TRG-42 based on personal experience. (I own one and compete with it)

-Trigger can jam due dirt.
-Bipod attachment loosens up due time
-Bipod has small slots where it locks at downward position. These can widen up since Sako uses atomization grade steel nowadays in bipods(high content of lead)
-Older barrels last better than the current "beretta grade" barrels. Current barrels last only 1500 to 3000rds accurate. The old ones have lasted accurate even up to 10 000rds when factory ammo has been used exclusively in Finnish defense force tests. This is due lower grade of steel used today due Beretta orders.
-Bolt stop can brake due proper use

Yep Beretta holding group is a curse word for me.

I run a Barrett 98Bravo,

I love it and wouldn't change it!

thanks,

Anthony

Remington 700 police 338 LM tactical. Brother has one and I just got mine, shooting some very nice groups. We have a 1000 yrd range set up on our ranch and shoot alot, have had 0 problems with the remington. Full length aluminum bedding, reinforced buttstock,I like all the beef they put in the stock. Price is $1,200 to $1,500. Hope this helps.

Erma SR-100, but you won't be able to find one. I've only found one in 300 win mag so I purchased it NIB. Last 338LM is saw they were asking $14K!
Ouch

BTW, I think the Erma holds the record at 4.5" group at 1600 yards which is amazing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OutRider</div><div class="ubbcode-body">This thread has been quite a find, but I have not seen any reference to any autoloaders.

The two auto loading .338 Lapua rifles currently under consideration are the RND 2000 from RND Edge and the VR1 from Vigilance.
</div></div>

I own a VR1 chambered in 408 and it's a fine rifle,but it's way up there in price.I've never shot or handled an RND 2000.The VR1 had some trouble with brass ejection issues,but it's been solved.Not a problem if you don't reload anyway.Mine is very accurate with solids and the newer style RMB projo.
STEVE

I recently found a blog that trashed the AI AWSM, and I can't recall the exact words, but it was something along the lines of accusing AI as being the least favorable .338 systems out there. The blogger threw that statement out there on the table with his supporting argument of having shot everything on the planet, and having extensive experience with everything under the sun bla bla bla... I've shot my buddy's AI AWSM in 300 win mag... it was awesome. If there is something flawed with AI's .338 system then I'm not aware of it. I've always thought AI made one helluva reliable, dependable, and very tough weapon system. The saying is usually, "they're bomb proof!"

IMO, you could get yourself a HS precision HTR in .338 at around $3,000 which is literally half the price of an AI .338 system. I'd be happy with either of the two. You can't go wrong with HS precision IMO and Dakota Arms makes pretty decent weapon systems also. I just feel they're pretty over-inflated on the price ranges however. If money isn't an issue... my choice will always be AI weapon systems!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Dakota Arms makes pretty decent weapon systems also</div></div>
Paging C.Ward.

After the experience I had with the Dakota rifle cant recomend going that route . Took 2 trips to GAP to have the bedding redone and a new barrel screwed on to get it to shoot . If I was starting over you can have something built on the Surgeon action cheaper .

I know that this is an old posting, but it caught my eye and I am a diehard .338 Lapua Magnum shooter. I own several sniper rifle platforms that are chambered in .338 Lapua. In my opinion, the Sako TRG-42 is hands-down, the best that money can buy. I've had my Sako for almost 6 years now, and I just sent it off to have it re-barreled (only after putting 3300+ rounds down the pipe). The Sako feels very comfortable to shoot and is very user friendly as far as setting up the stock to each individual shooter. The only drawback is that most times, it will take an average of around 4 months to get one. They are hand-built in Finland and imported by Berretta USA, but are definitely worth the wait.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: sakoshooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I know that this is an old posting, but it caught my eye and I am a diehard .338 Lapua Magnum shooter. I own several sniper rifle platforms that are chambered in .338 Lapua. In my opinion, the Sako TRG-42 is hands-down, the best that money can buy. I've had my Sako for almost 6 years now, and I just sent it off to have it re-barreled (only after putting 3300+ rounds down the pipe). The Sako feels very comfortable to shoot and is very user friendly as far as setting up the stock to each individual shooter. The only drawback is that most times, it will take an average of around 4 months to get one. They are hand-built in Finland and imported by Berretta USA, but are definitely worth the wait. </div></div>

Seriously? Sniper rifles? Are you a sniper?
Precision Rifle......

4 months isn't a long wait compared to most custom gunsmiths out there. For the money, custom is the only way to go IMHO.

I just purchased a used Allen Percision shooting gun built on a Nesika action, and have been so pleased with the gun, it weighs about 17 pounds and is very plesent to shoot as well as very accurate, as a long range hunting rifle it is very hard to beat, it was put to good use this year and our son liked it so much that he is selling his 300 Ultra mag and building one like mine....

I've been very pleased with my Surgeon 338 Lapua in a AI CIP stock.

It is a consistent .4 moa performer with 300gr berger hybrids out to the 500 yards I have put it on paper. Shooting steel beyond that, I would guess it's probably holding very close to .5 or .6 beyond that when I can pull the trigger correctly.

I would recommend a Surgeon highly to anyone interested in a 338

I think you should have George Gardner at GA Precision build one. He built me a .338LM on a surgeon XL with a bartlein barrel and FTE brake with a McMillan A5 and it is absolutly awesome. I used it this week deer hunting and shot two deer farther than i ever dreamed of shooting. The first one was 550 yards (one shot) the other was 758 yards (one shot). These were with 87gr H1000 and 300gr Berger Hybrid bullets from my shooting bench. I loved it and it was so simple to do just range, dial, shoot!

i am shooting a Rem 700 338 LM. I just have it sighted in at 100 yards, but the group of 5 was very tight about 3/4" and maybe less than 1/2" for 3 of the shots. Next time at the range I will start going out and developing load data and scope dope. It's the least tactical looking of the bunch though, so cool factor is probably the lowest of the 338LM options.

As long as it does the job, I don't think it really matter. If you can put one round to where ever your POA, then the rifle has done its job.

Im new so bear with me. i found this to be very helpful as I am getting into long range shooting. Ive have done a bit of research and .338 Lapua is for me. I am very interested in the McMillan Tac-338 and the AWSM. But I would really like to know if Remington has came out with a .338? As I am a huge fan of Remington and I think it may be a little cheaper, although I am prepared to spend money.

All insight and knowledge is welcomed and encouraged
Thanks

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr mXIV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Im new so bear with me. i found this to be very helpful as I am getting into long range shooting. Ive have done a bit of research and .338 Lapua is for me. I am very interested in the McMillan Tac-338 and the AWSM. But I would really like to know if Remington has came out with a .338? As I am a huge fan of Remington and I think it may be a little cheaper, although I am prepared to spend money.

All insight and knowledge is welcomed and encouraged
Thanks </div></div>yes rem make 338lm rifle --think about a .284 calibre with 7mill-berger 180grvld pills- cheaper to load with and much the same same ballistics as 250gr lapua

Thanks i will look into the .284, they do seem a cheaper, have you had any experience with the Remington?

There are many professional rifle builders that have the experience, skill, patients, and understanding of the principals that make rifles accurate, and functional. Personally I think Terry Cross of KMW builds a rifle that should be listed in this topic.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rtr mXIV</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks i will look into the .284, they do seem a cheaper, have you had any experience with the Remington? </div></div>yes i have had a couple of Rems but prefer putting a rifle together myself-if you have the funds it doesn't have to cost a fortune. Seek advice on an action that comes trued ,a new non factory barrel ,timminy or jewel trigger and a tacticle stock starting at bell and Carlson for nicks or a mcmillian or an AICS at the top end.

I own the Rem 700 338LM. yes it's quite capable of shooting well sub MOA. It kicks a bit much for me, but I am on N570 powder now on another 338LM rifle, and the recoil is much lower. But the other rifle has possibly better muzzle brake and is also heavier.

thanks so much... you have been a great help. i will have to post a picture of my fine result when it gets finished

That's really a tough question. I would give Savage a look though. They make some lower-priced Lapuas and I hear nothing but the best about their 110 BA. Savages are extremely accurate rifles out of the box.

I am building a .338 Edge. If money is a big factor you all as it is for me, I would consider the Edge as it has a ballistic "edge" over the Lapua by about 100 FPS in most cases and costs less. What the Edge is is a .300 RUM case necked up to .338. I am building mine on a Savage action. The total cost for the rifle when all is said and done is going to be around $1600 and I fully expect it to shoot as good as or better than a Sako. If you run the .300 RUM brass through a .338 RUM die and back it out enough to just neck size it and bump the shoulder, then you don't need the custom dies. People may say that the Lapua brass lasts longer than the Nosler, but I say that case life depends on what kind of reloader you are. If you reload your cases to get the absolute most power out of them, inevitably they won't last as long.

If you already have a std mag bolt face, the Edge isn't a bad choice. However, if you need to buy an action, I would go Lapua for the brass alone. The savings between Edge and Lapua is exaggerated most of the time. Sure brass is cheaper with the Edge, but its not uncommon for the Lapua brass to go 12+ loads. I am having a GAP 338 built on a Templar action. If the standard Lapua isn't enough you can always go Improved...

Your reloads have more to do with accuracy than the rifle. I must say I would go with the Lapua because of the brass alone. There are many manufactures that make .338 Lapua brass so you have more options. I would not recommend going with some wild cat because companies go out of business then your stuck with a gun you can't get brass for.

Not sure I buy that the reloads have more to do with accuracy than the weapon. I can put together the best fireformed case handloads I can muster for the piece of crap Winchester Model 70 I got in a raffle and not do much better than 3" groups at 300 yards.

In any case, I have high hopes for the Savage 110 in 338 LM I just picked up. It is a cheap gun but will shoot .5 MOA with factory ammo. Not bad for a $1,200 gun. At 10 lbs it is my new elk gun. My 375 CT is too much to drag around in the mountains of Wyoming.

I choose the Savage 110 BA because of its accuracy, durability, and price. I buy two of every system, I am going to use. For the price of the top end guns like AI, I was able to buy two Savages.

My Savage is a sub minute and I really love it. However, when I get the funds, I would like to explore upgrading to a timberwolf or AI.