• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Why do we do PRS? ?

TriggerReed357

Trigger Man
Minuteman
Dec 11, 2018
So I'm kind of in a predicament. I am thinking about reloading for my 6.5CM so I went to the local store to price some equipment etc etc. the brass, bullets, primers and powder came out to $1,700 and will load 1000 rounds. The salesman then went to say that a starter reloading kit for 6.5cm will run about $2500 with the dies. So while I'm trying to explain to her the cost effectiveness of reloading and why I need this stuff, some ass clown blue falcon at the local gun store starts critiquing one of my PRS builds. He basically started to itemize every piece of equipment on my surgeon rig which I didn't mind, however my wife was standing there taking notes and recalculating all of my lies about costs etc. He then brings out some damn calculator and broke my reloading price down to $1.86 per round not to include the $2500 on equipment. I then counter his blue falcon ass and said well if I win tournaments this year I will make my money back.......well all of us that shoot PRS competitions know that the max win amount is no more than $500 in most cases.....and that doesn't even cover our ammo.....not to add.... the entry fee to compete is usually $200-400 which he eloquently Blue Falconed me again and told my wife PRS shooters don't make any money which discredited all of my other lies about why I needed a $2000 chassis and $3000 optics etc. So the question to me from her was, Why do you do this PRS shit if it doesn't make money..... I started out with the well it relieves.... She then ended my sentence with don't say shit about stress, PTSD or SHTF Prepping ?. At this point I am just going to say look bitch its what I enjoy doing so leave me the phuck alone. But I guess the moral of the story is what is one real viable reason why we love this PRS stuff ?.

Well there's your problem. :)
giphy.gif

You got it all used on the Hide for a steal it was like 1700$ max

Reloading doesn't cost that much, fuck that store.

Pretty much fuck all gun store employees. My guy Tim is cool though what's up Tim...

If you want to get down to brass tacks with her, tell her to hand over $3k for a new USO scope and you can win their nice prize money :)

Look at it like this,

1. You can shoot matches without being a member.

2. It's an ad hoc game, there is no system to "pay" members or shooters beyond a certain point, it's not like NASCAR where even last place has a dollar figure attached to it. Sponsored guys are basically only deferring their expenses very few are actually paid.

These matches are more like playing a video game online, you pay for the PlayStation, you pay for the game, you pay for the access to the servers via the internet and other in App Purchases. Despite paying to play that video game, all you get is a handful of distracted hours and dirty looks from the wife for ignoring them while you indulge your childish fantasies. (Yes I played them too, relax it's not personal, Freddie's Ascot on PS) Just add a 0 to the end of the dollar amount and you have Precision Rifle Expenses.

A precision rifle is expensive, if you want to be competitive you are gonna pay. The model is becoming more and more focused on the equipment with all the "What the Pros Use" That is just a sales tool to get you away from your Ruger RPR and into something 3x more money. None of this even covers practice and the time away from family. The travel, etc. Practice is really the best thing you can buy.

what is one real viable reason why we love this PRS stuff

There is no other viable reason other than the obvious ones.

I like shooting.
I have disposable income.
I want to be better at shooting.
I like to compete, and want to try to win.
Ergo I no longer have any extra disposable income. :)

Funny post. your only mistake here was having your wife in tow. Go in tomorrow, the falcon may be bluer, this is why you buy shit online, decipher what you want in private. Going into a LGS or big box and listening to idiots that feel the need to be inside your head just ruin a guys day.
As far as hobbies go, shooting isn't even close to what one would call expensive these days.

We do it because we love long range shooting and have a competitive mindset. If you’re doing it to try to make money then you’re in the wrong sport buddy.

We load not to save money, but because we can’t control factory tolerances for ammo and they build generic loads to work in most rifles that will also change lot to lot. At my income level I could buy several rounds of ammo for what it costs me to produce one time wise. I load because they can’t make it as consistently as I can and don’t use the quality of components that I do.

If you're in it for the money you're already set up for failure. Reloading doesn't really save you money, it's just more tailored for your gun. It may allow you to shoot more for the same money, thereby it's maybe more efficient, but not cheaper for the same money.

I shoot matches because they're fun, because they test my abilities, and because I enjoy the camaraderie of shooting with my buddies and discussing what went right and what didn't over beer and food that evening.

Because it's cheaper than prostitutes, cocaine or a divorce lawyer (probably healthier too). That's why.

It's damned sure cheaper than being married (says the guy that shakes his head every time he walks past the $7500 formal dining room table....that we never use. Well, I use it...to weigh and drop charges into cases, but we never actually eat off of it.)

FYI, my first reloading "kit" was around $380 and I was off and running. So $2500 is retarded for getting started.

Reactions: TriggerReed357
Until you include an FX-120 Powder trickler, Giraud case trimmer and AMP. $2500 doesn't sound like much when I start adding some of my stuff up (eek! :oops:). But yes, my first kit was something like $220. but that was 30 years ago, before we knew how to "do things right". :)

For getting started 2500 might be expensive just for tipping your toes in the water but it will be a hell of a set up.
If I knew someone was wanting to get into reloading (AND WOULD STICK WITH IT) I would probably recommend the same things he did.
Those same expensive things would probably make it easier for someone to stick with it though. Its the cheaper manual lath trimmers and slow ass powder dispensing that drove me to get the good expensive shit after all. I can see it causing others to quit before they even start.

There is no other viable reason other than the obvious ones.

I like shooting.
I have disposable income.
I want to be better at shooting.
I like to compete, and want to try to win.
Ergo I no longer have any extra disposable income. :)

I am going to love using the term disposable income when my wife gets home. She spends $100 on manicure/pedicure and $300 on hair hi-lights, $200 a month on Makeup and atleast $500 a month on Starbucks etc etc. The NEW Me: Oh..... so we just have disposable income these days huh.... ?. Atleast my scope has a "lifetime" warranty, but your nails and highlights will wear out in a couple weeks and you piss the starbucks out before noon .....

Reactions: JimLee and ShtrRdy
For getting started 2500 might be expensive just for tipping your toes in the water but it will be a hell of a set up.
If I knew someone was wanting to get into reloading (AND WOULD STICK WITH IT) I would probably recommend the same things he did.
Those same expensive things would probably make it easier for someone to stick with it though. Its the cheaper manual lath trimmers and slow ass powder dispensing that drove me to get the good expensive shit after all. I can see it causing others to quit before they even start.

Exactly. I'm one of those dudes that will jump all the way in from the start or I won't jump in at all. I remember my days as a private trying to cut corners on everything. I learned my lesson and paid dearly over the years cutting corners. I would rather pay for the best quality stuff from the Jump or just don't play at all. I remember buying some wilson golf clubs and then touching a pair of Calloway pro clubs at the driving range......then I spent months trying to stack up and buy those expensive clubs because I wasted $400 on the cheap clubs.... never could get anyone to buy those clubs off of me....here it is 15 years later those piece of shit clubs still haunt my garage and remind me to go big or go home.

Because it's cheaper than prostitutes, cocaine or a divorce lawyer (probably healthier too). That's why.

It's damned sure cheaper than being married (says the guy that shakes his head every time he walks past the $7500 formal dining room table....that we never use. Well, I use it...to weigh and drop charges into cases, but we never actually eat off of it.)

Can't wait for the couches to get delivered that "my dirty pants" are not allowed on... Could have bought a TT for friggs sake

If you're in it for the money you're already set up for failure. Reloading doesn't really save you money, it's just more tailored for your gun. It may allow you to shoot more for the same money, thereby it's maybe more efficient, but not cheaper for the same money.

I shoot matches because they're fun, because they test my abilities, and because I enjoy the camaraderie of shooting with my buddies and discussing what went right and what didn't over beer and food that evening.

That's exactly my views. However, telling my wife it cheaper....and that I may win money one day kinda softens the beast. But my main mistake was taking her in the store with me.....I should have just ordered off of brownells and did all of my explaining at home after I purchased it lol.

That's exactly my views. However, telling my wife it cheaper....and that I may win money one day kinda softens the beast. But my main mistake was taking her in the store with me.....I should have just ordered off of brownells and did all of my explaining at home after I purchased it lol.
Yup!

DAMN RIGHT BROTHER. We are only out shooting steel....and when duty calls we shoot terrorist, I'm not out at the strip club spending 1000s on cheap thrills and booze. I mean shit every now and then I may spend a couple bux on World of War Craft or Magic the Gathering to pass time...... a few hundredsssss of bux to shoot steel, coyotes, deer etc....but its better than being a dope head, a cheater, an alcoholic, a criminal, unemployed, abusive..... etc the list can go on and on. she is gonna learn tje hard way gatdamnit!!!

Was the blue flacon the sales guy or some know it all lookie lue?

Idk, $2500 is a bit steep but get the good stuff first and cry once. Still for 6.5CM your not looking at a progressive, still pretty steep unless your planning something else. If that’s the case a progressive can save a lot of money when pistol ammo goes up in price and 223 dries up again.

Honestly 6.5CM will save money pressing your own but nothing like 300WM or such.

$2500 reloading setup? $1.86 per round? I've been loading for 15 years and haven't bought $2500 of reloading gear. You should be able to load way cheaper than 1.86 per round.

Was the blue flacon the sales guy or some know it all lookie lue?

Idk, $2500 is a bit steep but get the good stuff first and cry once. Still for 6.5CM your not looking at a progressive, still pretty steep unless your planning something else. If that’s the case a progressive can save a lot of money when pistol ammo goes up in price and 223 dries up again.

Honestly 6.5CM will save money pressing your own but nothing like 300WM or such.

Just a local know it all retiree that hangs out at the gunshop shittin on parades all day lol

$2500 reloading setup? $1.86 per round? I've been loading for 15 years and haven't bought $2500 of reloading gear. You should be able to load way cheaper than 1.86 per round.
I agree, my .338 loads using Flatline solids cost me less than that to load, considering ten loads on each piece of brass. He was totally yanking you in front of your wife.

It is my therapy. When I practice I am in my happy place,and all of lifes worries disappear (until I get a flyer). What is the going hourly rate for a Psychiatrist and how many 300 WMs could I reload for that much $$$. Recoil management = stress management. I shoot today because I could die tomorrow. I like the smell of gunpowder. I keep Americans employed at Midway/Optics Planet/Natchezz/UPS/FEDEX/LGS etc. Have a great day!!

Maybe drag racing muscle cars would be a better idea if she thinks shooting is too expensive.
Tried that also lol. She no longer lets me modify my sports cars. All I'm authorized to do is buy them as is so I went and bought a new Stingray Z06 and a HellCat Challenger. As long as I let her drive the Hell Cat she usually remains calm but I have to compromise and let her drive the vette every once in a while.

Reactions: Brent B
You have a Z06 and a Hellcat and your wife is bitching about 10k in shooting equipment... ?

What does she say when you’re putting tires on these every 7-8k. Or when your preventative maintenance cost $400 every 6 months.

If your story is true, I bet every time you walk in the door she’s got a list of items to tear into you about. I hope it’s not the case because life’s too short to have a bitching wife!

So I'm kind of in a predicament. I am thinking about reloading for my 6.5CM so I went to the local store to price some equipment etc etc. the brass, bullets, primers and powder came out to $1,700 and will load 1000 rounds. The salesman then went to say that a starter reloading kit for 6.5cm will run about $2500 with the dies. So while I'm trying to explain to her the cost effectiveness of reloading and why I need this stuff, some ass clown blue falcon at the local gun store starts critiquing one of my PRS builds. He basically started to itemize every piece of equipment on my surgeon rig which I didn't mind, however my wife was standing there taking notes and recalculating all of my lies about costs etc. He then brings out some damn calculator and broke my reloading price down to $1.86 per round not to include the $2500 on equipment. I then counter his blue falcon ass and said well if I win tournaments this year I will make my money back.......well all of us that shoot PRS competitions know that the max win amount is no more than $500 in most cases.....and that doesn't even cover our ammo.....not to add.... the entry fee to compete is usually $200-400 which he eloquently Blue Falconed me again and told my wife PRS shooters don't make any money which discredited all of my other lies about why I needed a $2000 chassis and $3000 optics etc. So the question to me from her was, Why do you do this PRS shit if it doesn't make money..... I started out with the well it relieves.... She then ended my sentence with don't say shit about stress, PTSD or SHTF Prepping ?. At this point I am just going to say look bitch its what I enjoy doing so leave me the phuck alone. But I guess the moral of the story is what is one real viable reason why we love this PRS stuff ?.
Your local Store is selling you a huge line of excess overkill equipment. You need:
  • Press $100-$150
  • Dies $50-75
  • Shellholder - $10-$20 for a set
  • Hand trimming/chamfer/debur tools $30
  • Powder scale/dispenser $200
  • Equipment total ~400-500 (buying a kit will cost even less but has mediocre parts).
Ammo cost
  • Brass (you should have a ton already) if not ~.50 each (actual cost per round decreases with each firing)
  • Bullets depending on flavor .25-50 cents each
  • Primers $40/1000 (.04 each)
  • Powder $200/8lb jug ( .15 per bullet at 42gr per charge)
  • Cost per round $0.45-0.70 per round without brass. If you reuse 200 peices of brass for 6 firings, should be less than .10 per firing added to overall cost.
Or just go buy the best equipment you can and never look back!

You have a Z06 and a Hellcat and your wife is bitching about 10k in shooting equipment... ?

What does she say when you’re putting tires on these every 7-8k. Or when your preventative maintenance cost $400 every 6 months.

If your story is true, I bet every time you walk in the door she’s got a list of items to tear into you about. I hope it’s not the case because life’s too short to have a bitching wife!

Sad but true brother. she has a 2017 Land Rover and an Audi A5 convertible and still complains about my guns lol. But yea man lots of deployments and lots of toys.....oh shit she is pulling up for lunch....let me hide my snipers hide account before she takes that from me also.lol wives doing wife shit :rolleyes:

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.06.25 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.06.25 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 82
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.10.45 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.10.45 AM.png
    813.6 KB · Views: 88
  • Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.12.55 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-01-08 at 11.12.55 AM.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 96
Reactions: JimLee
funny thing is when she bitches she smiles the whole time. I was watching the TV show Snapped and that was a key sign in like all of the murders :cautious:

Reactions: JimLee
Your local Store is selling you a huge line of excess overkill equipment. You need:
  • Press $100-$150
  • Dies $50-75
  • Shellholder - $10-$20 for a set
  • Hand trimming/chamfer/debur tools $30
  • Powder scale/dispenser $200
  • Equipment total ~400-500 (buying a kit will cost even less but has mediocre parts).
Ammo cost
  • Brass (you should have a ton already) if not ~.50 each (actual cost per round decreases with each firing)
  • Bullets depending on flavor .25-50 cents each
  • Primers $40/1000 (.04 each)
  • Powder $200/8lb jug ( .15 per bullet at 42gr per charge)
  • Cost per round $0.45-0.70 per round without brass. If you reuse 200 peices of brass for 6 firings, should be less than .10 per firing added to overall cost.
Or just go buy the best equipment you can and never look back!

Thanks for this list. I need it because I have been placing items in my amazon cart for a couple days. One of the most important things I have gathered off the HIDE is that a perfectly accurate scale is almost the most important item I will need.

By the looks at this probably 5k miles is more accurate ? can’t wait to start the tire conversation. She blocks me vette in everyday with another car to make it harder for me to utilize it? but I don’t give a shit I just move the cars around like I’m playing Tetris

Attachments

• A8CE8122-9EC5-47C1-8556-7F2E7EEB2FA7.png
    A8CE8122-9EC5-47C1-8556-7F2E7EEB2FA7.png
    2.4 MB · Views: 61
Thanks for this list. I need it because I have been placing items in my amazon cart for a couple days. One of the most important things I have gathered off the HIDE is that a perfectly accurate scale is almost the most important item I will need.
RCBS Chargmaster Lite: 200-250. You can usually find them on sale for 200 but will need to check various stores frequently to find that deal.

Forgot to include digital or dial calipers: absolutely a necessity for reloading. Check out iGaging calipers: great value for cost and have run flawlessly for last 18months. iGaging ABSOLUTE ORIGIN 0-6" Digital Electronic Caliper - IP54 Protection/Extreme Accuracy https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00INL0BTS/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_.-nnCbMAPNKKS

RCBS Rock Chucker is arguably one of the best presses available and has stood the test of time.

Personally, I run a Forster CoAx now but have also had Lee Challenger and Rock Chucker. Hornady Lock n Load has pretty good system for quick die swaps but so to others (Lee uses a pretty good system too.)

Then there is the little stuff: loading block that fits your caliber/brass, case lube (Imperial die wax and Hornady one shot are my go to lubes), Allen wrenches, calipers etc. But you will find things you need (or want rather) to make process smoother over time.

Use the KISS theory when you get started to minimize the learning curve. Then add parts as you get used to the others.

Amazon has some good prices sometimes. You can almost always find it for cheaper though day to day at places like brownells, midsouth, midway, powder valley, grafs and so many more shooting sites. And those sites also run specials where its way cheaper on special days.

Cause it's like Golf, but we don't golf we shoot. Each rifle is like a club, it has a specialty. A specific purpose for whatever niche you think it fits. No need to justify it to the wife or GF or both. If you do need to justify it compare it to something of hers such as her shoe collection or whatever.

FYI, my first reloading "kit" was around $380 and I was off and running. So $2500 is retarded for getting started.
My first kit was a Lyman t-mag turret and scale, trimmer and associated stuff. Add a craftsman caliper and RCBS dies and I was still under $200

Besides a boat, its the only hole I can throw dollar bills in and still feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside. That little clang in the distance is addictive! Lead slinging and great guys to hang out with what else can you ask for?