• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

Why is it always pitt bulls?

Austan

Uncontrollable Fringe Outlaw
Minuteman
  • Nov 27, 2007
    Spooner, Wisconsin

So two "family dogs" decide to kill the baby and toddler and nearly the mother.

"The dogs – two pit bulls that belonged to the family – were euthanized at Memphis Animal Services Thursday."

Pitt bulls. Every. fucking. time. They're never violent until they snap and kill the kids. Why do people think these dogs are safe to have around kids? I don't get it.

I love dogs and we just rescued a cattle dog mix that some morons thought would be good to have with their young children, stuck inside and no where to run around and burn off their massive energy. But I will never understand anyone owning a pitt bull.

Once a pit bull latches on to something, it has a very strong bite force and neck muscles.

They are no better or worse, temprament-wise, than other dogs. But are also a choice of shitbags... (as well as many fine owners of the breed). And when shitbag owners, violent dogs and strong genetic-bite force get together... it is bad.

Plus "Golden Retriever Bites Man" is not a headline. Pit Bulls have been getting a bad rap from the press since shitbag rappers made them into... shitbag dogs.

Which they are not.

Very few bad dogs out there. But there are many bad owners. Who create bad dogs.

Sirhr

Unpredictable breed, but the power to kill. This happened to a friend, the dog went thru her arm as it rushed the closed glass door to get to the UPS guy.
    _Rot.jpg

Have more than one? They can get into a biting frenzy quickly. Probably ended up being a $100K injury with multiple surgeries and rehab.

according to dogsbite.org pitbullls always lead the fatality list… if you go back at least 16 years 67% of fatalities are from pit bulls and they always are the leading breed
    252D72C5-2C3B-4055-9C3C-270585706CD5.png
    066BE7B2-BBCE-4E71-AF2D-6C5C0C79A482.png

Last edited:
    Fair enough regarding the media and getting clicks, but I do wonder what other dog kills so many each year.

"At least 33 people in the U.S. were mauled to death in 2020 by pit bulls — more than any other dog breed, according to non-profit dogsbite.org."

How many more mauled not to death by pitts?

Once a pit bull latches on to something, it has a very strong bite force and neck muscles.

They are no better or worse, temprament-wise, than other dogs. But are also a choice of shitbags... (as well as many fine owners of the breed). And when shitbag owners, violent dogs and strong genetic-bite force get together... it is bad.

Plus "Golden Retriever Bites Man" is not a headline. Pit Bulls have been getting a bad rap from the press since shitbag rappers made them into... shitbag dogs.

Which they are not.

Very few bad dogs out there. But there are many bad owners. Who create bad dogs.

Sirhr
    I agree with you about the owner element and how some people treat their dogs. I do believe that some breeds have a violent nature . Why are Beagles good for hunting rabbits and Chihuahuas not? Why are German Shorthairs good for hunting birds but not raccoons? This list could go on and on. Every breed has exceptions but also have inbred traits. No Pitt Bulls for me.

Dogs bite people every day. But when it's two pits on a person, they are in serious trouble.

Reactions: Austan
    Pits are NOT just like any other dog. Shepherds, pointers, retrievers--even rat terriers were all specially bred to do what they do, and most examples will herd/point/retrieve (somewhat) without any special training.

Pits were bred to be aggressive. I can't believe people are surprised when they do what they were bred for. Add in that so many lower class people own them--which means that many aren't treated well, or get any training beyond housebreaking.

I don't like pits. I've met several that were sweet, nice, and playful. I've met a couple that were well behaved and well trained. I haven't met a single one that I'd trust with my granddaughters.

This is coming from a guy who has German Shepherds--during the 70s when everyone wanted a 'police dog' GSDs were considered the most dangerous breed......and they weren't entirely wrong. Bad breeding, bad owners, and the GSD's specially selected, inbred traits can easily become a dangerous animal.

Last edited:
    Plus "Golden Retriever Bites Man" is not a headline.
    Seem to remember seeing somewhere a while back that over here (Norway) according to national statistics, Golden Retrievers are the most commonly involved breed in severe/fatal attacks, particularly of children. Mainly due to stupid owners.

Also, Pits are banned over here. There is a whole list of banned breeds, either because feels or other stupid shit.

Pits, Fila Brasileiro, Toso Inu and Dogo Argentino are banned because "ermagerd dangerous fighting dogs"
    American Staffordshires are banned, because somebody decided that people might try to hide Pit pups in with the Amstaff pups.

And Czechoslovakian Wolfhounds are banned because they look like wolves...

Absolutely Horrible, you have to be an idiot to own a pit with young children. Like the OP said it’s always pits and kids
    “You have to be an idiot to own guns with young children”. The concepts are the same. It’s always funny watching Boomers come on social to bitch about things they don’t know anything about. Just like you train and educate with guns, train your dogs and they’ll be well behaved. Just like my pit who I have spent the time and energy to train.

**edit** for the record I am very well aware that a gun has the ability to walk out on to the street and kill someone. I am referencing the multiple instances of young children killing themselves or others with guns they have found in unlocked cases or around the house. The point was training, education, and responsible ownership solve the issues of children being hurt by guns and children being hurt by dogs.

Last edited:
    Seem to remember seeing somewhere a while back that over here (Norway) according to national statistics, Golden Retrievers are the most commonly involved breed in severe/fatal attacks, particularly of children. Mainly due to stupid owners.

Also, Pits are banned over here. There is a whole list of banned breeds, either because feels or other stupid shit.

Pits, Fila Brasileiro, Toso Inu and Dogo Argentino are banned because "ermagerd dangerous fighting dogs"
    American Staffordshires are banned, because somebody decided that people might try to hide Pit pups in with the Amstaff pups.
    can you compare the stats between Norway and the above stat… as far as fatalities..because golden retriever don’t even register

And Czechoslovakian Wolfhounds are banned because they look like wolves...

• Wow
    Reactions: BLEE
    “You have to be an idiot to own guns with young children”. The concepts are the same. It’s always funny watching Boomers come on social to bitch about things they don’t know anything about. Just like you train and educate with guns, train your dogs and they’ll be well behaved. Just like my pit who I have spent the time and energy to train.
    Stats don’t lie..whose a boomer?

It's not always the Boomers.
    In fact, I'd wager you have less issues with boomers on this subject because we've seen the history of these bullshit fears.

Reactions: AMGtuned
    Why ? Because they were unable to bred poodles to bite and hold bulls, bears and other large animals around the face and head .

Stats don’t lie..whose a boomer?
    1. Pit Bulls and American Staffordshite Terriers score 85% and 87% respectively on the temperament test which is a higher percentage than the German Shorthair mentioned above, Collies, Spaniels, and slightly higher than the Golden Retriever. All dogs that people seem to agree are good tempered. Look it up if you want, this test is an actual study with high numbers of tests done for each breed listed. American Temperament Test Society, LLC is the source.
    2. Studies find that 84% of DOG not just pitbull attacks are dogs that came from an abusive home. Again, not the dogs fault, but shitty owners forcing the dogs into a fight or flight response when they feel threatened, unlike horses the dogs will stand their ground.
    3. 94% of DOG attacks are from un-neutered males. Again, irresponsible ownership.
    4. There is ZERO scientific evidence to show ANY breed of dog is inherently violent.
    5. My own personal experience with my pit, she is well trained and well behaved. Her only experience with an attack, is when an off-leash Husky attacked her and bit my wife.

The moral of the story here is don’t blame the dog, blame the owners. You’ve let the media’s idea of pitbulls sway you. Congrats.

isn't asking that like asking why is it always a Florida man does this or that in the news literately the most famous person on the planet .

number 4 is pretty creative

No I let my experience with pits do It for me.. be safe
    My wife went for a walk in the neighborhood about 2 years ago, and 3 black labs attacked our female pit - owner failed to latch a gate, dogs swarmed and put a puncture wound on her neck.

Luckily she was able to keep them at bay just long enough for the owner to hear the commotion. Decent guy, and the wife always says he was white as a sheet once he rounded the corner and realized what he had done.

I can't speak to what your particular experience is, but if I used the above scenario as the basis of my opinion on dogs, I'd shoot every stray black lab I ever saw. But I don't.

No bad dogs, only irresponsible owners.

Sir, I'm going to disagree with you--and your straw man argument doesn't hold water with me.

We all have firearms, and they're inanimate objects until we make something happen.

Dogs think and act on their own volition. Most breeds are predisposed to act a certain way because it's in their genetic makeup. I don't doubt that you have a great dog (for you), but you're refusing to acknowledge that pits have earned their reputation.

BTW, I'm not a boomer. I'm just a guy who's had too many run-ins with pitbulls. I live out in the country and the low rent methbillies and mexicans like to drop their unwanted animals in my area. I've had stray pits go after my daughter while she was learning how to ride a bicycle. I've had them bring down livestock, and I've lost 2 GSDs--the pits came from the house next door and broke through my fence. (She claimed that her dogs were perfectly well behaved too. FYI, she lost in court to the tune of $3800, and I STILL had to shoot those dogs because they came back a few weeks later and killed a bunch of my chickens)

I'm not going to convince you that your dog is a potential killer, and you're never going to convince me that it's anything else.

Having seen the results of a pit-mix attack on another dog; the receiving dog lost part of an ear and the other ear salvagable with a few hundred stitches - all in 30 seconds (or less) - I personally want no pit or pit-mix around me. I've seen that pits be super happy one minute, then in a jealous rage the next. I'll grant they can be super sweet and are "wiggle butts;" but they tend to absolutely snap and almost go into piranha mode.
    I remember walking the beach and an American Cocker spaniel and a pit bull were on the beach (and were supposed to be on leash at that time of day). The spaniel was "dumb-de-dumb" walking around and the pit bull waited until I passed by (and I didn't even make eye contact other than maybe 75 feet before I passed) and I was about 100 feet away when I heard the charge (and the owner stay "stop fido, come back" in a very non-commanding voice). Damn thing got within about 4 feet of me and I turned around, fist ready, and screamed at the top of my lungs at it to "STOP"...it didn't quite stop but only nipped my shorts ever so slightly. I think it knew it was about to be punched in the head.

The majority of the Pit gene pool is that of dogs that have been bred by bad people to be agressive and attack. It's now as much of their DNA as an Irish Setter "setting" , an English Pointer "pointing" and a Labrador Retriever "retrieving." That said, I still distrust Dobermans and Rottweilers more.

All that said, more people are bitten by little "rat dogs" than anything else; but they have no clamping force and thus don't inflict nearly as much damage.

Reactions: mtrmn
    My wife went for a walk in the neighborhood about 2 years ago, and 3 black labs attacked our female pit - owner failed to latch a gate, dogs swarmed and put a puncture wound on her neck.

Luckily she was able to keep them at bay just long enough for the owner to hear the commotion. Decent guy, and the wife always says he was white as a sheet once he rounded the corner and realized what he had done.

I can't speak to what your particular experience is, but if I used the above scenario as the basis of my opinion on dogs, I'd shoot every stray black lab I ever saw. But I don't.

No bad dogs, only irresponsible owners.
    I had a black lab latch onto my arm in a crawspace. Really shitty place to get into a fight with a dog... He couldn't take getting punched in the head so he let go. Went to the er to get it cleaned up / some shots. Not a big deal. Had it been a pit about the same size, I'd have been in trouble. That's the difference.

I've had three pits. Only one was difficult. He was dog-aggressive.

Sir, I'm going to disagree with you--and your straw man argument doesn't hold water with me.

We all have firearms, and they're inanimate objects until we make something happen.

Dogs think and act on their own volition. Most breeds are predisposed to act a certain way because it's in their genetic makeup. I don't doubt that you have a great dog (for you), but you're refusing to acknowledge that pits have earned their reputation.

BTW, I'm not a boomer. I'm just a guy who's had too many run-ins with pitbulls. I live out in the country and the low rent methbillies and mexicans like to drop their unwanted animals in my area. I've had stray pits go after my daughter while she was learning how to ride a bicycle. I've had them bring down livestock, and I've lost 2 GSDs--the pits came from the house next door and broke through my fence. (She claimed that her dogs were perfectly well behaved too. FYI, she lost in court to the tune of $3800, and I STILL had to shoot those dogs because they came back a few weeks later and killed a bunch of my chickens)

I'm not going to convince you that your dog is a potential killer, and you're never going to convince me that it's anything else.
    I get where you're going with this and I tend to somewhat agree with you - but all dogs can bite when they feel threatened. Society in general tends to lull themselves into a false sense of comfort when approaching different breeds of dogs, or be way too tuned up about a dog up the street that happens to be a pit, mastiff, etc.

Whether you intended to or not, you helped bolster the "bad owners" argument. Not picking on you or anything.

I love the people who defend the breed. They are regularly caught making statements about bad dog owners and bad situations and bla bla bla.

If I was king of America the law would be simple:

Have whatever kind of dog you want, but if your dog kills someone, you get murder 1 for it. If they maul someone severly, you get felony aggravated assault. If you don't want that responsibility, don't own a dangerous dog breed. If you want one and are responsible, this idea won't bother you, but if this idea bothers you, go look in a mirror, you are the problem.

I had a black lab latch onto my arm in a crawspace. Really shitty place to get into a fight with a dog... He couldn't take getting punched in the head so he let go. Went to the er to get it cleaned up / some shots. Not a big deal. Had it been a pit about the same size, I'd have been in trouble. That's the difference.

I've had three pits. Only one was difficult. He was dog-aggressive.
    We're missing context here - if you were in a crawlspace and a dog latched onto you, I'm going to assume it wasn't your property or something to that effect. Absolutely not blaming you for the circumstances, but the dog was doing what dogs do with strangers (again, if that was the case). And yes I would agree that the selective genetics of a pit (or really any type of dog in that class) could've made your situation worse...

...but again, that comes back to the owner for not policing their dog.

I love the people who defend the breed. They are regularly caught making statements about bad dog owners and bad situations and bla bla bla.

If I was king of America the law would be simple:

Have whatever kind of dog you want, but if your dog kills someone, you get murder 1 for it. If they maul someone severly, you get felony aggravated assault. If you don't want that responsibility, don't own a dangerous dog breed. If you want one and are responsible, this idea won't bother you, but if this idea bothers you, go look in a mirror, you are the problem.
    Despite the fact of what I've said in previous posts - all dogs get the same approach from me, chihuahuas to great danes and mastiffs and everything in between.

I love dogs more than people in a lot of ways, but I also will not hesitate shoot one or beat it to death if the circumstances dictate. Breed is irrelevant.

I get where you're going with this and I tend to somewhat agree with you - but all dogs can bite when they feel threatened. Society in general tends to lull themselves into a false sense of comfort when approaching different breeds of dogs, or be way too tuned up about a dog up the street that happens to be a pit, mastiff, etc.

Whether you intended to or not, you helped bolster the "bad owners" argument. Not picking on you or anything.
    Nah--it's cool! I enjoy the discussion, and for the record, I actually do believe that 80% of it is the dog's upbringing.....it's the other 20% that keeps me on my toes around certain breeds more than others.

I'm a dog person and I've been nipped bit by plenty. Cocker spaniels, labs, GSDs...even a wolfhound once. Every single one of them was at a shitty house, chained up in the yard, beat often, or had recently escaped a similar situation.

The only one that ever really got me was a female GSD that I adopted--found out while I was recovering from that mauling that it had been abused by the previous owner's kid. He used to throw rocks and baseballs at her and when I took her out to play fetch with a tennis ball, she went after me like I owed her money.

We're missing context here - if you were in a crawlspace and a dog latched onto you, I'm going to assume it wasn't your property or something to that effect. Absolutely not blaming you for the circumstances, but the dog was doing what dogs do with strangers (again, if that was the case). And yes I would agree that the selective genetics of a pit (or really any type of dog in that class) could've made your situation worse...

...but again, that comes back to the owner for not policing their dog.
    It was 100% my fault. I was able to handle the situation, so not a big deal. I've seen what it takes to unlatch two pits that had a chain link fence between them. Had it been either of them, I would have been in trouble. Just like I'd be in trouble if I decided to pick a fight with mike tyson.

Reactions: jg6.5
    isn't asking that like asking why is it always a Florida man does this or that in the news literately the most famous person on the planet .

number 4 is pretty creative

Florida man exists for two reasons:

1. Florida is a melting pot of crazies from mostly up north. The good weather allows the crazies to live outside much like the weird homeless do in Kali.

2. The crazy shit actually gets reported...

Using your logic it makes you a potential rapist, serial killer and kleptomaniac...

I remember when it was German shepherds. Then it was dobermans, then it was chows. Then it was the pit. Then it will be??

Chihuahuas.
    If they were as badassed as they feel, we'd all be dead.

How many people are bitten by those little shits but don't report it?
    Why?
    The damage is minimal.

If they were the size of pitties, they would certainly be #1 on the list of dangerous and aggressive dogs.

So re: the above posted pic of the arm bite - more follow up. The guy is a friend and has a party six months later. Crowded house and dog is there in the kitchen - just hanging out. Somebody walks in expectantly and a tray of food goes noisily airborne. Fortunately, the rot/pit didn't panic, but shiiiiiit, imaging the harm and lawsuit if it did? I always look for the knife block when I'm in that house. Guy is a great owner, but pits can be pits.

Short answer? It isn't.

Using your logic it makes you a potential rapist, serial killer and kleptomaniac...
    I never said otherwise!

The Nature vs Nurture argument isn't something that I ignore. Without proper training (positive role models, father figures, consequences for undesirable behavior) we humans really aren't terribly different from any other predatory animal. I know that under a different set of circumstances, a normally law-abiding citizen can decide to do something very out of the ordinary.....might be for the thrill, could be because of a perceived threat, or ???

The difference is that people (for the most part) haven't been specifically bred to have certain traits......but it could be argued that a child from a long line of aggressive/abusive/alcoholic/druggie parents may have a genetic predisposition to some behaviors.

<shrug> I don't know about people--but I do know that dogs that were selectively bred to perform specific tasks tend to do those tasks pretty well.

Last edited:

there's not a gun yet that has sentient awareness. therefore, i dont have to worry about my gun getting out of my yard and shooting someone on its own volition.

im sorry, your argument here carries no water. its not even close to the same.

Chihuahuas.

Why?
    The damage is minimal.

If they were the size of pitties, they would certainly be #1 on the list of dangerous and aggressive dogs.

I don't even consider them dogs. I think theyre actually some kind of aggressive mexican rat.

Few items I recall from high school about dog attacks:

Hold your hands toward your body when attacked. Protect your neck. Become a ball as much as possible. If a dog gets your hand, move it inward, dont immediately pull. Strike the dog in the throat. Strike the dogs foot like your fist is a hammer. Grab and push inside the paw like you your digging a hole with your finger in its paw.

To stop an attacking dog, pull the tail up and backward. Continue pulling backward fast, turn opposite direction of the dogs head while pulling. Keep pulling. Tail-less dog, strikes it in the anus with your foot or push hard in the anus with foot.

Injure the dog before it can injure you, or do what my neighbor did when a rottweiler had me pinned on the ground as a young kid, strike it with an axe in the mid section.

I love dogs, but I only approach when I know the dogs temperment.

Maybe others can add more tips to avoid a fatal dog attack.

Reactions: 232593
    there's not a gun yet that has sentient awareness. therefore, i dont have to worry about my gun getting out of my yard and shooting someone on its own volition.

im sorry, your argument here carries no water. its not even close to the same.
    The point I was trying to make is responsible ownership solves both issues. I admit, that point wasn’t clear.

Chihuahuas.

Why?
    The damage is minimal.

The chart is referring to fatalities, not bites. The infant was dismembered by the family pet.

FWIW, Chihuahas are listed as and aggressive dog breed.

The point I was trying to make is responsible ownership solves both issues. I admit, that point wasn’t clear.

again, i respectfully disagree.

you can be the best owner of that dog, but if it somehow gets triggered in a situation, or decides it doesnt want to be your dog anymore (bolts, runs, 110lbs of dog chew its way to freedom), there is nothing an owner can do about it.

on top of that, just like with any dog, their temperament changes with age. that 10 year old, achy, grumpy pit is probably not the same mindset that the 3 year old whose advanced past the puppy phase and is fully trained.

one thing that people dont understand about dogs is that the bonding between owner and puppy should be started at about 5 weeks. some people "rescue" dogs, which is fine, but the connection mentally with the dog and owner are in no way the same. and it can show at the most inopportune times.

Reactions: RRW and mosin46
    Only ever been bitten once. It was a an unprovoked Weimaraner. i almost beat the fuck out of the owner because it was 100% his fault. You could tell just by looking at him.

Same neighborhood, guy who breeds GSD’s that look like they’re on steroids, had them off leash and they ran at me but stopped immediately at the sound of his voice.

Anecdotal. I have only ever met nice pitts. But it only takes one.

Reactions: 232593
    Not a dog expert in any sense and not claiming to be one. Dogs are bred for certain traits. Why in the hell all these people want a cuddle puppy and end up with a pitbull makes no sense. Sadly the owners should be the ones injured and taken from the gene pool, not their helpless toddlers.