• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• The site has been updated!

If you notice any issues, please let us know below!

VIEW THREAD

Range Report Why so many Hornady fans?

Re: Why so many Hornady fans?

I have gotten them to shoot jammed or sitting off the lands slightly. My best group I ever shot was with the amax. I really can't get them to shoot bad. My load consists of Varget and Lapua brass in my 308. I turn necks and monitor neck tension very closely and I generally load them to be just touching the lands. I also run them on the ragged edge of velocity. I ran up to 46 grs of Varget, saw very slight extractor marks, backed it off a touch and they shot best there. Right at about 45.5 grains. Hope this helps.

Hornady is advertising an advanced process for making their jackets (AMP) claiming virtually zero runout. This has been a major problem in making accurate bullets and is the reason some shooters run their bullets through a Verne Juenke machine to sort out the ones with non concentric jackets. I haven't heard any details about the AMP process so I'm hoping this thread might shine some light on it.

I use the 155 a-max in mine, adn get phenominal accuracy inside of 400 yards and pretty darn good to 600

Anyone shooting the 178 AMAX with Varget out of an AI AE ? Just wondering what your OAL is and preferred load ?

Use Sierra and Nosler exclusively. However, buddies use Hornady exclusively down their 5Rs (300WM). Planning to rip a *gift* box of Hornady 178gr in my new 300WM. F/b to follow in Jan'11..

The main reason I shoot Hornady bullets is price. All bullets have their advantages and disadvantages, but they don't jack their prices when their bullets become popular.

Because the shoot very accurately are devastating on game and are relatively cheap for a great all round bullet. I love the a max.

It generaly falls on the rifle, shooter, and all other aspects of the loaded bullet. The only time the consistency in bullet weight becomes a concern would be for benchrest shooters where consistency is the key to repeatability. I dont see to many benchrest guys shooting Hornady, not a whole lot of Sierra either. Mostly Berger, or other high end competition grade bullet. Sierra, Hornady, Nosler all make bullets consistent enough to meet the needs of hunters, target shooters, and tactical needs.

Benchrest guys weight everything. The case, charge, and bullet. The case/neck is checked for concentricity, so it the bullet. The ogive is compared so that they are all the same. The dies are usually custom cut to match the exactly to the chamber. There is more guages, calipers, and micrometers used as well. In fact, I dont even own a micrometer, or a guage.

I like the amax's cauase when I look on the shelf I see the 4-6 dollar price diff and not the +/- 1gr diffrence.